Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

a neat cape posted:

I mean, we haven't had issues getting rookies into camp since Joey Bosa. It's been a while

For some reason I thought there was something with Herbie's rookie deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Kirk Cousins is a big boy who has, and is, being paid a poo poo ton of money. He will be fine.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't necessarily believe this but it brings up a question. Don't GMs disclose who they're trying to get when they trade picks? If I was moving back a few spots, I'd want to know exactly who I was giving up.

You can insist they tell you... but there's nothing preventing them from lying to your face, besides the potential consequence of that team not wanting to deal with you from then on.

I'm also curious about it. I'm guessing they do ask, but only in situations where the proposing team is moving up a spot or three and you're taking their pick. If they are moving up 5 picks or more it's not really relevant.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

You can insist they tell you... but there's nothing preventing them from lying to your face, besides the potential consequence of that team not wanting to deal with you from then on.

I'm also curious about it. I'm guessing they do ask, but only in situations where the proposing team is moving up a spot or three and you're taking their pick. If they are moving up 5 picks or more it's not really relevant.

I imagine its probably the same as playing board games with your friends. You're going to get dicks that want to gently caress over everyone, people who'll build alliances and tip their hand (more if it's going to gently caress someone they don't like or compete with over) and people who swing between depending on how their day's going. Just much higher stakes, but it's still just a game really.

It wouldn't surprise me if Morgan and Beane were completely open with each other around their trade with who they wanted. Both guys had worked together for years, both teams needed WRs but they're only going to play each other once every four years unless they make a superbowl. Panthers were probably a little more cagey with the Rams who they'll likely see more often.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

BlindSite posted:

The big issue as I see it, is that it looked a lot like it blindsided Cousins and you don't want that mess in your locker room before the process even starts and that Arthur Blank was completely blindsided by it which kind of hinders your prospects of the plan working out too, at least if the return isn't obvious and a good one. That level of dice roll is a career killer if you can't keep kirk slinging it happily and Penix doesn't come out and kill it when given a chance.

There is absolutely zero chance that the GM went rogue and spent a top 10 pick on a quarterback without the owner having signed off on it already, lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

There is absolutely zero chance that the GM went rogue and spent a top 10 pick on a quarterback without the owner having signed off on it already, lol

Lol, if only there was footage of the pick Lol, and the owners reaction Lol, where he did not look remotely impressed or in agreement, lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Grozz Nuy posted:

AJ Brown was traded without consulting the owner or coach. Both were pretty pissed over it, too.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

BlindSite posted:

Lol, if only there was footage of the pick Lol, and the owners reaction Lol, where he did not look remotely impressed or in agreement, lol

I know we all love being amateur body language doctors, but if the GM had done that on his own and the owner wasn't on board he wouldn't have been allowed to keep making picks.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

https://twitter.com/Bateman_Szn7/status/1786145639052591241?t=8CGKTA1Gza-t-cTZxoG27g&s=19

I don't necessarily believe this but it brings up a question. Don't GMs disclose who they're trying to get when they trade picks? If I was moving back a few spots, I'd want to know exactly who I was giving up.
I think most trades they don't. Last year Brandon Beane told the story a few times about trading up for Dalton Kincaid and being worried they wanted the same player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OtvMne0SAI

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I know we all love being amateur body language doctors, but if the GM had done that on his own and the owner wasn't on board he wouldn't have been allowed to keep making picks.

It probably was on the list of possibilities but the owner was surprised that it was that particular pick.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

Nope.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fwiw there’s a lot of rumors around Atlanta that blank isn’t doing very well health wise. Not sure how that impacted everything.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

FizFashizzle posted:

Fwiw there’s a lot of rumors around Atlanta that blank isn’t doing very well health wise. Not sure how that impacted everything.

You'd think that would impact things in the opposite direction, i.e., going all in to win around Cousins while Blank is still around.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Professor Funk posted:

You'd think that would impact things in the opposite direction, i.e., going all in to win around Cousins while Blank is still around.

I think the implication is people are going rogue while Blank isn’t home

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the implication is people are going rogue while Blank isn’t home

Not even necessarily going rogue but he might not have been well informed. AFAIK Blank is relatively hands off when it comes to most things with the team, so I can envisage a scenario where he's missing poo poo he'd normally be there for in the lead up but wouldn't miss the big day.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Can't wait for Arthur Blank to only realize what happened when he's down on the sidelines during Game 1 looking like a mafioso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Watching Blank's reactions during 28-3 was the closest I ever felt to pity for a billionaire.