Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for April, 2024?
This poll is closed.
:krakken: Samoa Joe (FORMER AEW Champion) 2 2.86%
Swerve Strickland (AEW Champion) 28 40.00%
:rant: Eddie Kingston (FORMER ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:henget: Mark Briscoe (ROH World Champion) 8 11.43%
:byodame: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) 11 15.71%
Jordynne Grace (TNA Knockouts Champion) 1 1.43%
Maika (World of Stardom Champion) 3 4.29%
Blake Christian (GCW Champion) 0 0%
Moose (TNA World Champion) 0 0%
:sora: Yuki Ueno (KO-D Openweight Champion) 1 1.43%
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 1 1.43%
:cloudnine: IYO SKY (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:nono: Bayley WWE Women's Champion 0 0%
Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's Champion) 3 4.29%
:rip: Rhea Ripley (FORMER WWE Women's World Champion) 0 0%
:clint: Becky Lynch ([WWE Women's World Champion) 0 0%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (FORMER WWE Universal Champion) 3 4.29%
:911: Cody Rhodes (WWE Universal Champion) 4 5.71%
:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (FORMER IWGP Champion) 0 0%
Jon Moxley (IWGP Champion) 3 4.29%
:pathetic: None of the Above 2 2.86%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Goblin Queen posted:

Toni Storm was so good in April that Cody Rhodes brought up unprompted how gotten to he was by a joke she made at the Dynasty media scrum.

indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goblin Queen posted:

Toni Storm was so good in April that Cody Rhodes brought up unprompted how gotten to he was by a joke she made at the Dynasty media scrum.

Haha, really? Give me the deets like I'm a gossipy hot dog vendor!

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Jerusalem posted:

She made a few jokes about Cody's story and WWE fans calling Goosebumps level writing "cinema", then told Tony Khan that no matter what, she would never call him into the ring to celebrate with her. (Referring to him calling Bruce Pritchard and Paul Levesque to the ring after winning at WrestleMania

Cody apparently decided that her comment was about Brandi and him, when later asked during an interview about whether he still has positive feelings towards AEW he said this:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6bW69QrMjB/?igsh=Y3JsejBpanRwOHJv

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wasn't it only like a month ago that Triple H tried to claim that Will Ospreay took the AEW deal because he was scared of hard work? :lol:

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't it only like a month ago that Triple H tried to claim that Will Ospreay took the AEW deal because he was scared of hard work? :lol:

Yes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Here's Toni having a go and calling out Cody and his wife by name by not saying his name at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhIsGPROwi8

And here's a picture of Otto Preminger.

Yeah, I can see how Tony would reckon Luther has a slight resemblance to him.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 6, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's down to the last few hours to get your vote in, so make sure you do!

I apologize for my above sentence in this post, which is clearly and unmistakably a callout directed at Cody Rhodes and his wife by name.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

glad to see a second vote for The King Of Television

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

voted for mark briscoe who finished the story in april

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You've got like... 4 hours to vote! :derp:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have not voted on these in forever and I am breaking my silence for Swerve.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I voted for Maika in the end

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Whose House? Mr. Strickland's domicile, of course. Swerve Strickland's triumph over Samoa Joe was more than enough to get him the biggest and most important victory of his life, one that the likes of John Cena can only dream of. With 40% of the vote, Swerve has almost 3 times the vote of his closest competitor, the delightfully deranged Toni Storm, with Mark Briscoe's emotional ROH World Title victory bringing him a third place finish. This top three seems suitable enough, given that so far this year this represents the winning promotions for our subforum in champ polls for 2024: AEW and ROH. Cody Rhodes "finishing the story" was enough to give WWE a 4th place finish, with New Japan (but really Stardom), Stardom, WWE and New Japan (but maybe really AEW?) sharing 5th place. But the top spot? The #1? The guy with the gold medal? For April of 2024, forever more that will be a house that belongs to Swerve Strickland!

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Swerve rules

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

I was lurking in 2010, did we really like the Miz that much that he was the champ for the year? Was that year that dire?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I can't speak for WrestleHut but WWE was the only mainstream promotion easily watchable in the US at the time (TNA had torpedoed any goodwill it could have had hard) and at least in the places I spent most of my time in, a guy actually breaking through in WWE was pretty cool after some very stagnant years.

Anyway, good job, Swerve. I definitely think it was an amazing moment and the Claudio match was great but I think his best months are yet to come. He was probably my third place pick just because of Mark Briscoe's emotional core and Toni genuinely stepping up to a new level that's going to be something special if it continues but it's great that Swerve is officially recognized and made it where he has. Should be fun to see how the next few months play out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Christian was robbed

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Majinfoose posted:

I was lurking in 2010, did we really like the Miz that much that he was the champ for the year? Was that year that dire?

He was something new that came along at peak Cena-fatigue, and I guess a lot of people were consequently willing to focus on his strengths and overlook/ignore his weaknesses.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Am I counting this right, Punk and Okada are tied at 3x for most times being champion of the year?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Can't wait to vote Miu next month

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Majinfoose posted:

Goons of years past have no taste.

Honestly, it's amazing Danielson won in November 2006. He defended against Delirious, then was in a tag match with Jimmy Rave vs Joe & Nigel. And then there was an FIP Title match with Roddy Strong which no one will have seen because FIP must have sold an average of 14 DVDs per show & then he he went to Japan for his first ever NOAH tour. December at least had the Final Battle match with Homicide which is terrific. Though I can't imagine many of the voters saw it at the time, seeing as there was a serious delay in ROH DVDs getting sold.

Although looking at it now I've discovered he had a singles match at Korakuen with Fujita Hayato at the end of his NOAH tour & now I know what I'm watching later tonight.

And the whole time his shoulder was hosed up IIRC.

Anyway, the actual answer is that it's easy to forget how hard it was to follow non-TV wrestling then. But just for fun, here's some of the other 2010 champions who weren't on the poll
IWGP Heavyweight
Shinsuke Nakamura - 4 matches, vs Yoshihiro Takayama, Manabu Nakanishi, Hirooki Goto & Togi Makabe
Togi Makabe - 5 matches, vs Nakamura, Go Shiozaki, Nakamura, Masato Tanaka & Satoshi Kojima
Satoshi Kojima - 2 matches, vs Makabe & vs Nakamura
GHC Heavyweight
Takashi Sugiura - 7 matches, vs Hirooki Goto, Togi Makabe, Yoshihiro Takayama, Jun Akiyama, Go Shiozaki, Chessman & Takeshi Morishima
Triple Crown
Satoshi Kojima - 2 matches, vs Joe Doering & Ryota Hama
Ryota Hama - 2 matches, vs Kojima & Minoru Suzuki
Minoru Suzuki - 3 matches, vs Hama, Masayuki Kono & Suwama
Suwama - 2 matches, vs Suzuki & Masakatsu Funaki
Open The Dream Gate
Naruki Doi - 1 match, vs YAMATO
YAMATO - 5 matches, vs Doi, Susumu Yokosuka, Shingo Takagi, Masaaki Mochizuki & Masato Yoshino
Masato Yoshino - 4 matches, vs YAMATO, Ryo Saito, CIMA & Naruki Doi
BJW Death Match Heavyweight
Yuko Miyamoto - 2 matches, vs Isami Kodaka & Ryuji Ito
Ryuji Ito - 4 matches, vs Miyamoto, Masashi Takeda, Shuji Ishikawa & Abdullah Kobayashi
KO-D Openweight
Shuji Ishikawa - 3 matches, vs Yoshihito Sasaki, Danshoku Dieno & Daisuke Sekimoto
Daisuke Sekimoto - 6 matches, vs Ishikawa, Sanshiro Takagi, Masahiro Takanashi, Kota Ibushi, Ishikawa & HARASHIMA
HARASHIMA - 4 matches, vs Sekimoto, Daisuke Sasaki, Danshoku Dieno & Hikaru Sato
Hikaru Sato - 2 matches, vs HARASHIMA & Dick Togo
Dick Togo - 1 match, vs Sato
ZERO1 World Heavyweight
Toshiaki Kawada - 3 matches, vs Daisuke Sekimoto, Ryouji Sai & Kohei Sato
Kohei Sato - 4 matches, vs Kawada, Shinjiro Otani, Ryuji Sai & Bambikiller
Bambikiller - 2 matches, vs Sato & Daisuke Sekimoto
Daisuke Sekimoto - 3 matches, vs Bambikiller, Sato & Shinjiro Otani
Osaka Pro Wrestling
Dick Togo - 1 match, vs Billy Ken Kid
Billy Ken Kid - 4 matches, vs Togo, Daisuke Harada, Miracle Man & CIMA
CIMA - 3 matches, vs Kid, Black Buffalo & Tigers Mask
Tigers Mask - 2 matches, vs CIMA & Asian Cougar
Asian Cougar - 1 match, vs Tigers Mask
STRONGEST-K
KAZMA - 4 matches, vs Shiori Asahi, MIYAWAKI, Taishi Takizawa & Yuji Hino
Yuji Hino - 3 matchs, vs KAZMA, Saboru Inematsu & Taishi Takizawa
ICEx60
Emi Sakura - 2 matches, vs Hikari Minami & Tsukasa Fujimoto
Tsukasa Fujimoto - 5 matches, vs Sakura, Hamuko Hoshi, Makoto, Hikari Minami & Miyako Matsumoto
Miyako Matsumoto - 3 matches, vs Fujimoto, Makoto & Riho
Riho - 2 matches, vs Matsumoto & Sakura
Emi Sakura - 4 matches, vs Riho, Tsukushi, Fujimoto & Hikari Minami
Hikari Minami - 2 matches, vs Sakura & Command Bolshoi
Command Bolshoi - 4 matches, vs Minami, Chii Tomiya, Hamuko Hoshi & Fujimoto
Tsukasa Fujimoto - 1 match, vs Command Bolshoi
JWP Openweight
Kayako Haruyama - 1 match, vs Nanae Takahashi
Nanae Takahashi, 4 matches, vs Haruyama, Command Bolshoi, Yuki Miyazaki & Kaori Yoneyama
Kaori Yoneyama - 10 matches, vs Takahashi, Tanny Mouse, Emi Sakura, Sayaka Obihiro, Hailey Hatred, Hailey Hatred, Cherry, GAMI, Yoshiko Tamura & Syuri
OZ Academy Openweight
Carlos Amano - 2 matches, vs Ran YuYu & KAORU
KAORU - 3 matches, vs Amao, Mayumi Ozaki & Takako Inoue
NWA Women's Pacific & NEO
Yoshiko Tamura - 12 matches, vs Meiko Satomura, Aya Yuuki, Hiroyo Matsumoto, Ryo Mizunami, Ayumi Kurihara, Kyoko Kimura, Emi Sakura, Yumi Ohka, Aya Yuuki, Yoshiko Tamura, Hikaru Shida & Ayumi Kurihara
Ayumi Kurihara - 1 match, vs Tamura
PWG World
Kenny Omega - 1 match, vs Davey Richards
Davey Richards 3 matches, vs Omega, Roderick Strong & Chris Hero
CZW World Heavyweight
Drake Younger - 2 matches, vs Ruckus & B-Boy
B-Boy - 2 matches, vs Younger & Jon Moxley
Jon Moxley - 5 matches, vs B-Boy, Nick Gage, Sami Callihan, Greg Excellent, Egotistico Fantastico and Nick Gage & Nick Gage and Drake Younger (the first title of the year to have defences in a multi-man, making it quite hard for me to write out)
Nick Gage - 2 matches, Moxley and Drake Younger & Moxley and Egotistico Fantastico
Jon Moxley - 8 matches, vs Gage & Egotistico Fantastico, Scotty Vortekz, Robert Anthony, Nick Gage, Danny Havoc, Devon Moore, Drake Younger & Homicide
Open The Freedom Gate
BxB Hulk - 5 matches, vs Dragon Kid, Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Masaaki Mochizuki & SHINGO
wXw World Heavyweight/Unified World
Steve Douglas - 6 matches, vs Drake Younger, Tommy End, Absolute Andy, Bad Bones, Ares & Zack Sabre Jr
Zack Sabre Jr - 5 matches, vs Douglas, Big Van Walter, Tommy End, Masaaki Mochizuki & Big Van Walter
Big Van Walter - 3 matches, vs ZSJ, 2Face & Ares
SHIMMER
MsChif - 2 matches, vs Sarah Stock & Madison Eagles
Madison Eagles - 4 matches, vs MsChif, Ayumi Kurihara, Cheerleader Melissa & Jessie McKay

And because I haven't wasted quite enough time on this pointless, meaningless endeavour, here's a selection of Junior/secondary title holders.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight
Tiger Mask - 1 match, vs Naomichi Marufuji
Naomichi Marufuji - 7 matches, vs Tiger Mask, Prince Devitt, Koji Kanemoto, Jushin Thunder Liger, Ryusuke Taguchi, Tiger Mask & Prince Devitt
Prince Devitt - 4 matches, vs Marufuji, Atsushi Aoki, Kenny Omega & Davey Richards
GHC Junior Heavyweight
Yoshinobu Kanemaru - 7 matches, vs Taiji Ishimori, Delirious, Naomichi Marufuji, Emil Sitoci, Zack Sabre Jr, KENTA & Kotaro Suzuki
Kotaro Suzuki - 1 match, vs Kanemaru
PWF Junior Heavyweight
Kaz Hayashi - 11 matches, vs Masanobu Fuchi, Hiroshi Yamato, KAI, BUSHI, NOSAWA Rongai, FUJITA, TAKA Michinoku, Jimmy Yang, Tsuyoshi Kikuji, Keiji Muto & Phil Atlas (how the gently caress was 2010 Muto making Jr HW?)
Open The Brave Gate
Naoki Tanizaki - 1 match, vs K-ness
K-ness - 3 matches, vs Tanizaki, PAC & Super Shisa
Super Shisa - 3 matches, vs K-ness, Genki Horiguchi and Munenori Sawa & Tigers Mask
Tigers Mask - 6 matches, vs Shisa, Dragon Kid, Shisa, Genki Horiguchi, CIMA & Masato Yoshino
PAC - 4 matches, vs Susumu Yokosuka, K-ness, Dragon Kid & YAMATO
DDT Extreme
GENTARO - 3 matches, vs MIKAMI, Danshoku Dieno and Francesco Togo & Danshoku Dieno
Danshoku Dieno - 2 matches, vs GENTARO & Munenori Sawa
ROH World TV
Eddie Edwards - 12 matches, vs Davey Richards, Colt Cabana, Petey Williams, Mark Moment, Kenny King, Rhett Titus, Erick Stevens, Shawn Daivari, Necro Butcher, Colt Cabana, Mark Briscoe & Christopher Daniels
Christopher Daniels - 1 match, vs Edwards

Did one of those have a better title reign than The Miz, whose 3 title matches that year were beating Randy Orton in 2:44 on Raw, having cashed in MITB, a TLC match with Jerry Lawler on Raw that featured a Michael Cole run-in, & a Tables match with Orton? Well yes, probably all of them did, except Danshoku Dieno, whose 2 matches were a Gay Or Straight match and a World of Kiss Rule match. Dramatic DDT didn't exist after those matches happened so I can't actually find out what the stipulations were. Probably for the best.

Anyway, if I take nothing else away from this entire waste of my evening (that was for my own incredibly stupid satisfaction) it's that The Miz winning in 2010 is somehow even more inexplicable than I'd previously thought.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I personally blame J-RU

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Shard posted:

I personally blame J-RU

Seems legit

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I would’ve voted in 2010 against the Miz, but I wasn’t a goon then.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

I would’ve voted in 2010 against the Miz, but I wasn’t a goon then.

this forum was hostilely pro wwe around then

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shard posted:

I personally blame J-RU

You're right to do so!

But I will say that past results really do showcase just how much easier it is to watch wrestling from so many different places now, usually live and in good to great quality for a remarkably cheap price. Thank gently caress.

pours one out for the ustream G1 show pickers who had to hope and pray they picked a good night to pay for a single show and that the feed would be at least somewhat lag free.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378028 lol

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lol i was looking at the old threada last nigh.

Ziggy Tsardust knew even back then.

quote:

Seriously. Miz has been champion for 4 weeks and people are calling him champion of the year. It's pretty weak

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Not everyone has to be Dave Meltzer. Vote with your heart, not with your head.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

With the caveat that if your heart says "The Miz" then you're already dead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do not vote with my hand, he who posts with his hand has forgotten the face of Uncle Dave, I vote with my heart.

Also the Miz sucks.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Miz is good. I liked his tag team with John Morrison. He seems like a decent bloke in real life, and is a good dad and husband. Both of which it is rare to be able to say about wrestlers.

Yay Miz, Boo Miz haters.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Can't take anything after this seriously

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Miz is good. I liked his tag team with John Morrison. He seems like a decent bloke in real life, and is a good dad and husband. Both of which it is rare to be able to say about wrestlers.

Yay Miz, Boo Miz haters.

OK, but none of this has much relevance to The Miz as Champion of the Year 2010 despite having 1/3 of his matches being under 3 minutes long & another 1/3 being against Jerry Lawler

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

its really not hard to understand that the miz being not john cena or hhh and infact being a small breath of fresh air in the immensely stale wwe was an easy pick for wrestler of the year. The 12 people who watched roh voted danelson everyone else voted miz or the manimal batista.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

OK, but none of this has much relevance to The Miz as Champion of the Year 2010 despite having 1/3 of his matches being under 3 minutes long & another 1/3 being against Jerry Lawler

It was a different time

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i voted for sheamus because i recognised the glory of big red from day one

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Suplex Liberace posted:

its really not hard to understand that the miz being not john cena or hhh and infact being a small breath of fresh air in the immensely stale wwe was an easy pick for wrestler of the year. The 12 people who watched roh voted danelson everyone else voted miz or the manimal batista.

I don't think any of the ROH fans voted for Danielson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Champ Poll for May, 2024 is now up, go vote!