Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
get to it or im getting the kendo stick again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
black rose arc is my favorite

Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

black rose arc is my favorite

its winsauce for sure

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I need MM working on the show instead of reviewing anime, kinda regretting not rigging the match. Ohtori again loving with me

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
SOme things are more important than the "product" dipshit

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

episode 1
its an episode that washes over you in a good way
the visuals, music and weird mysteries you dont know anything about yet create this incredible feeling, cool and surreal
the complete change in anthys behavior towards saionji after he loses along with his reaction and the bells is an amazing punctuation to the fight

anthy notes: (this will work towards something i started thinking about later on in the series)

the expression anthy is making when utena says that she doesnt know whats going on, but she will just beat up saionji
utena has her back turned towards anthy

also the complete change in anthys behavior towards saionji after he loses

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
its good when anthys like: oh wow i wasnt expecting that

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

the OP is top tier but the ED is skippable, unlike the greatest ED of all time Neguse from Tamako Market

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Megamissen posted:

the OP is top tier but the ED is skippable, unlike the greatest ED of all time Neguse from Tamako Market

retard

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

maybe if someone hadnt bonked me on the head i would be smarter right now

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you got what you deserved chud

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

TheSwizzler posted:

I need MM working on the show instead of reviewing anime, kinda regretting not rigging the match. Ohtori again loving with me

You could always make Ohtori disappear. I know a guy with experience in that field. He's called the swizzler.

E: never mind

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

episode 2
anthy just drawing her own name plate under utenas is funny
im not sure how litteral the scene before with the room transforming is supposed to be
its probably just like that for a gag but even if its just that it does work well with the surrealism of the series thus far
i guess it could be utena seing chu-chu and thinking its a mouse and we are getting an exagerated version of the impression of abandonment utena gets from that

utena getting possessed by a mysterious spirit of some kind, taking the same form as the prince in utenas backstory who also shows up in the credits
they also appear in the duel in the first episode but more as a thing in utenas mind
i dont know if its just a representation of utenas ideal of a valiant prince or a 'real' and seperate entity
could also be 'real' but taking on the form of the prince, relflecting utenas ideal back to her
(im kinda assuming utena isnt an actual princess and instead its was more of a child playing princess situation)

anthy notes:
anthy dodging the question about the castle and sword
anthy reacting to utena getting kicked
anthy smiling when utena is playing with chu-chu at the end, again with utena having their back turned

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

episode 3
starts out with reflections on the ring, we still dont know how much of the backstory is true

hard episode to watch, its not bad i just have a very hard time watching the touga/prince missunderstanding thing
its gives me a similar reaction to watching cringe comedy or horror movies
touga is also acting very creepy towards utena

chu-chu being the one playing cards is funny

utena gets a real prince moment at the end

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
internal debates over how much of what is being seen is real ftmfw. also get ready for men to be creepy the entire time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

also get ready for men to be creepy the entire time.

this isn't the joshi thread though

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Namtab posted:

this isn't heenan commentary though

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lawler was way creepier than Heenan though

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
no update from magamissen i see

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Ohtori Akio posted:

no update from magamissen i see

busy with ppv preparation

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

episode 4 and 5, doing them together

the first scene in episode 4 that shows you where things will end, and then transitioning to mickey playing the piano is very nice
there a few times during the two episodes where the background music is mickey or anthy playing and its used well

not sure whats going on with mickeys stopwatch, could just be japanese number puns

these episodes made me think about the nature of anthy, the way she makes the duelists want to duel for her

does she do it deliberatly? willingly? does she even know about it? is it just an automatic thing, or maybe someone else is causing it?

like, she plays the piano in just the right way so that mickey sees the idealized version of his sister in her but she says she doesnt remember when she learned to play...
she also dodges the question about the castle and the sword in an earlier episode

how much of what we have seen of anthy is the "real" anthy - if there even is such a thing
maybe we have mostly seen the anthy that makes utena want to fight for her, but there have been a few scenes where she shows affection for utena even though utena is looking away
it could be that we are seeing then is the anthy that is supposed to make the viewers want utena to fight over her

anthy gives off kind of a shallow and robotic impression, like how her demeanour towards saionji completely changes when he loses the first duel

the shadow segment in episode 4 is in the surface about nanamis plot to ruin the relationship between anthy and mickey

(also lol)
but the ending "the truth behind the girl, do you really know what it is?" might refer to anthy directly

the episode 5 shadow segment... is about not knowing what you truly want... not sure what to think about that one really

about nanami, episode 3 have a lot of pretty out there comedy elements (as will episode 6 from the preview)
it feels like its mostly just, well, out there comedy elements + a little bit of character building for nanami
but i know nanami will become a duelist later so taking it from the "anthy makes the duelists want to duel for her" perspective,
while anthy is the princess to be saved for utena and the idealized version of mickeys sister to mickey to nanami anthy takes away the attention nanami wants and shes unable to get one over on her, a negative motivation compare to the positive motivations of utena and mickey
nanami is very dramatic so things being very out there could be a combination of wild exaggeration and for reasons of comedy
i dont take it very litterally

the conversation in the music room with mickey, anthy and utena is very well done, you can see mickey get tempted by the duels
but his first reaction is to try and dissolve the student council and end the duels all together, he thinks the duels are wrong and was probably very disturbed by his temptations

the scene with touga after wards, he gets completely played (touga likens mickeys sister to him, maybe implying something has happened between touga and mickey? touga sucks enough that i could see it)

then his conversation with anthy pushes him over the edge, the use of the background music being played by a character is used very well

mickeys delusions about anthy - and about his sister - is built up over the cause of the episodes and then shatters causing him to lose
but even so the experience has turned him into a duelist

also i just noticed something, both utena and saionji fight with the sword of dios they wield it in their left hand, the hand with the rose ring
but when they fight with a regular sword they use their right hands

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
something very cool about anthy is how shes depicted as a witch or magician and the implications of that idea are explored over the course of the show. and like you get to just wonder how much of that is for real

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

episode 6... not much to add really
you get to know a bit about relations between characters but overall it feels like a one off comedy episode
saionji being ignored and the surveilance thing were the funniest moments

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the nanami episodes are the most important ones you stupid bitch

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Ohtori Akio posted:

the nanami episodes are the most important ones you stupid bitch

more like episodes where it doesnt matter if you nanamiss them

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nanami, nanayou

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nanami episodes are sneaky. they may be comedy episodes but they all still tie into the overall themes of the series in big ways. imo, the later nanami egg is low key one of the better episodes of the series.

Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball! Psycho Ball!

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Eisode 7, Unfulfilled Juri
My favorite episode so far.

The start scene has her saying there is no such things as miracles, the theme of the episode.
Also her name is Arisugawa... her way is rainbow...

The teacher is being really creepy, but she parries him in a very cool way.
She's my favorite member of the student council, so far at least.
Again with the theme of miracles, Utena says how she escaped from the guidance councelor was like a miracle. But both we and Juri know it was Juri.
Juri is first to tell Utena at least a bit about what is going on, which is nice.
Utena having to leave because she was still called to the guidance councerlor in the end was very good, the way it ties into the theme of the episode.

Just after that, Anthy presents Juri with a rose of the same color that the girl held in the backstory, which is a lot like the Mickey / Anthy's piano playing thing... except it doesn't work.
Juri instead slaps her (its very well done, shocking and violent) and tells her to not get too familiar.
I get the feeling this is not the first time Anthy has tried (however much agency she has in it) to entice Juri.

The knife throwing in the studenc council meeting is a cool visual but I don't take it more than just that, which is fine cool visuals are cool.
Mickey says she doesn't have a motivation to fight, and as shown before she seems immune for Anthy.
The big backstory segment... not much to add really, it's very well done both by itself and how it ties into the episode as a whole.

What finally seems to give Juri the will to fight is the story of the prince...
Part of it is the similarty and contrast with her own story (the locket is given focus during the scene) but it feels like theres more to it...
The kiss scene that turns into an outburst is effective, Juri is a character that remains very cool and collected most of the time with occasional extreme outbursts.
We also saw that with the slap and the letter scene.

The shadow play is easy to interpret this time, Juri is so strongly against miracles because she believed and was burned.

In the fight scene, Juri had basically won but let it continue...
Like she wants to force the weird prince possession to happen and still win despite that.
The part where she parries the 'prince thrust' is just so good.
When the sword falls and pierces her rose she turns towards Anthy and stares at her, saying it was just an accident and not a miracle with a look of shock.
It really looks like shes saying that directly to Anthy...

Juri has to know a lot about whats going on with both Anthy and the prince right?
Her reaction to Anthy presenting her the rose (like she knows about Anthys magnetism), reacting to Utena talking about the prince, seemingly also knowing about the prince possession and finally this...

After the fight scene Anthy ones again presents her with a rose and says "One day, they will know your feelings". It feels like she has said this to Juri before.
But compared to Juris reaction earlier in the episode, Anthy seems to have broken through even if it's just a tiny tiny bit.

The fight scene is incredible, its very good by itself but the way it ties into the story of the episode both thematicly and with the scenes from juris backstory interspersed... i can't think of a better one in any medium.
But I noticed Utena used the sword righthanded this time.

It is not exactly subtle, but if you didnt get that Juri was in love with the girl the locket scene would be a cool reveal... I did not get the Satoshi was the one who stole the chocolate until the bridge scene in episode 21 of Hyouka so I can't judge someone for not getting it.

It's still a great scene, hope you get your miracle in the end Juri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
juri ftw