Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Several years ago I built some shelves to store bulky items above the garage door in our garage. You guessed it, stuff goes up there and never comes down. When items are brought down they are covered in dust because my garage is also used as a wood shop.

I've been looking at systems that allow one to store storage totes above the garage door, but they all have the same flaw: they require that you slide the totes into place. I'm looking for something that would allow me to put in or take out the totes vertically. I don't really have the room to slide totes because of the way my garage is configured.

This is an example of the system that won't work in my application: I have a garage door belt drive rail in the middle of my garage and a metal beam running across the garage perpendicular to the garage door rail.

In my mind I'm picturing a system where one edge of the tote slides into a notch in a rail and the other end is supported by a rail that is hinged so the notch can be opened. When the rail is allowed to hinge down the tote basically falls out. Does something like this exist? Alternatively, one rail could be fixed and the other could pivot on one end. The tote on the end would be able to "fall down" when the pivot was in the "open" position. Subsequent totes could then be slid into the position vacated by the tote that just "fell".

My garage ceiling isn't really that high and I wouldn't put heavy items in the storage system, so I could support the object while I'm getting the moving rail locked in place. Worst case I would hold it up and my wife would manipulate the locking mechanism.

I don't want to do one of those electric hoist things because that is extreme overkill for my situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Instead of long rows, leave a blank space in the middle so that every tote can be slid off without moving another tote

or

notch the tote top-sides with matching notches in the mounting rails, so that a tote can be stored or removed my moving it just a few inches