Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

jbone posted:

Wow, not sure how I missed that.

Guess we'll see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

RazorBunny posted:

A lot of people recommend unflavored yogurt for beneficial gut flora and canned pumpkin for fiber. Never used the yogurt on a cat, but I've done it for myself when antibiotics were wreaking havoc on my digestive system. As for the pumpkin, our cat really likes it, and it works like a charm to keep him regular.

Thanks for your reply! They nibbled a bit at the pumpkin, but the diarrhea seemed to have stopped on its own. But thanks for the idea--we'll be able to be prepared for next time.

Also, KilGrey: I love your avatar and that movie.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
Why do our cats take food out of their bowls and then drop it on the floor before they eat it? We even put a rubber mat under the bowl, reasoning they'd just drop it on the mat and it'd be easier to clean. They don't. They walk off the mat and THEN drop it. Why are cats such assholes?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Rissa posted:

Why do our cats take food out of their bowls and then drop it on the floor before they eat it? We even put a rubber mat under the bowl, reasoning they'd just drop it on the mat and it'd be easier to clean. They don't. They walk off the mat and THEN drop it. Why are cats such assholes?

it is in their nature. I think since they lack opposable thumbs and can't properly take over the world like they want they settle for doing everything in their power to annoy and confuse us.

The Robins Taley posted:

Also, KilGrey: I love your avatar and that movie.

Thank you. I like yours as well. Timeless beauty.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Rissa posted:

Because cats are fussy bastards and when they get it in their heads that this* is the proper way to eat their food then by god that's how they're going to eat their food.

*this may include dropping food on the floor, throwing it in their water dish, eating it out of their paw, or eating ONE particular brand of food regardless of how good/bad it may be for them.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Rissa posted:

We used to think that our cat knocked food out of the bowl with her paw before eating because it was too deep and touched her whiskers. Then we started feeding her off a little extra-shallow saucer, and she kept doing it. It turns out she's just a jerk.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Backstory: Driving home at about 2 am sunday morning my girlfriend and I passed a dog wandering Main St here in Buffalo, in the pouring rain. We pulled it into my car thinking I would just drop it off at the police station or possibly take it home and drop it off at the shelter the next morning. Police station wouldn't take it and just gave me numbers for the ASPCA and the Dog Control officer to call in the morning.

Neither were open on sundays and so while I was at work my girlfriend took care of the dog and looked around online for other shelters and rescues in our area. She sent out a couple messages to pitbull (it's a pit mix) rescure groups in the area and then got in touch with some lady that runs a no-kill shelter. She said she could probably take the dog in but needed to have it neutered before and could take it in tuesday sometime and convinced my girlfriend that that ASPCA animal shelter would almost immediately kill the dog because they are overrun with pitbulls. My girlfriend said she would call her back to make an appointment as she just needed to make sure I could take the dog in on tuesday.

So as of noon today the no kill shelter lady hasn't responded to my girlfriend's messages and I'm not allowed to bring the dog to the ASPCA shelter anymore. I can't take the dog in for a variety of reasons.

Now I posted on craigslist saying when and where and what breed it is, and nobody has matched the description yet, but I've gotten more than a few emails asking for more info about the dog. I believe some are people that might be interested in taking it in. My question is what's the correct course of action here? Can I give the dog away to someone? Would I just take down their name address and number incase the police department calls me? Or should I take the dog into the ASPCA shelter if none of the people we contacted get back to us?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Admin Understudy posted:

My question is what's the correct course of action here?
Have you called around any vet's offices in the area? They're another good place to check for lost dogs, and they might be able to scan him for a microchip.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I"d be really careful with anyone on craigs lists. Make sure they are honest with their intentions with this dog. Also, before adopting it out to anyone there are a shitload of questions you should ask them to make sure the dog is right for them. It would be better to take it to a shelter and have it euth'd then put into an abusive or neglectful home. If the home isn't the right fit for the dog then it's just going to end up miserable or in a shelter again anyway. You don't know yet if it's good with other animals or kid and that's pretty important when placing a dog like a pit.

There are a bunch of rescue people here and pit lovers that I'm sure can help you make up a list of questions to ask prospective owners.

Have you called the ASPCA yet to even find out what their situation is? I wouldn't necessarily just trust the rescue lady without finding out for yourself.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Admin Understudy posted:

Backstory: Driving home at about 2 am sunday morning my girlfriend and I passed a dog wandering Main St here in Buffalo, in the pouring rain. We pulled it into my car thinking I would just drop it off at the police station or possibly take it home and drop it off at the shelter the next morning. Police station wouldn't take it and just gave me numbers for the ASPCA and the Dog Control officer to call in the morning.

Neither were open on sundays and so while I was at work my girlfriend took care of the dog and looked around online for other shelters and rescues in our area. She sent out a couple messages to pitbull (it's a pit mix) rescure groups in the area and then got in touch with some lady that runs a no-kill shelter. She said she could probably take the dog in but needed to have it neutered before and could take it in tuesday sometime and convinced my girlfriend that that ASPCA animal shelter would almost immediately kill the dog because they are overrun with pitbulls. My girlfriend said she would call her back to make an appointment as she just needed to make sure I could take the dog in on tuesday.

So as of noon today the no kill shelter lady hasn't responded to my girlfriend's messages and I'm not allowed to bring the dog to the ASPCA shelter anymore. I can't take the dog in for a variety of reasons.

Now I posted on craigslist saying when and where and what breed it is, and nobody has matched the description yet, but I've gotten more than a few emails asking for more info about the dog. I believe some are people that might be interested in taking it in. My question is what's the correct course of action here? Can I give the dog away to someone? Would I just take down their name address and number incase the police department calls me? Or should I take the dog into the ASPCA shelter if none of the people we contacted get back to us?

Just take the dog to the ASPCA. Tell them you don't want the dog to be euthanized and you will take the dog back and provide foster care if it comes down to that. At that point you could work on a different shelter placement if you need to.

My husband and I did this with a cat we dropped off at our local shelter. He got really sick while under shelter care, and we'd put down a "call us before you kill him" note. They called us and we fostered him for two weeks while he got better. Then it turned out a friend of ours wanted him, so we found him a new home too.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

anachrodragon posted:

Just take the dog to the ASPCA. Tell them you don't want the dog to be euthanized and you will take the dog back and provide foster care if it comes down to that. At that point you could work on a different shelter placement if you need to.

My husband and I did this with a cat we dropped off at our local shelter. He got really sick while under shelter care, and we'd put down a "call us before you kill him" note. They called us and we fostered him for two weeks while he got better. Then it turned out a friend of ours wanted him, so we found him a new home too.

Oh I didn't know that, I will probably do that then.

quote:

Have you called around any vet's offices in the area? They're another good place to check for lost dogs, and they might be able to scan him for a microchip.

I called a couple in the area and asked about their lost listings but nothing matched him. If I can get him in to check for am microchip before 3:00 today when the ASPCA closes, then I'll certainly do that.

I feel bad that I can't keep him, and if he were house trained I'd probably try and sneak him by my landlord. I really didn't care for pits before, but this guy is one of the friendliest dogs I've ever met and has really changed my opinion of them.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Just to let everyone know, incase it's not common knowledge, here's what I learned at the SPCA today. When you bring in a stray it's put on the stray list for 5 days, during which time it's given a vet checkup and an adoption evaluation. You can also put down a $20 deposit towards adoption. If they think it's adoptable they will spay/neuter it and put a microchip in it and then show it to people. If they don't think it's adoptable they'll contact you back if you put $20 down and let you know, otherwise it's up to you to check back on the status of the animal.

The lovely thing I learned is that if an animal is too aggressive towards people or other animals, it cannot even be released back to anyone. Without saying it outright, the lady at the SPCA told me that because it was a pit bull there was a decent chance it could not be released because of their aggressive nature. I still put down $20 in hopes that I can get this dog in someone's home.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Admin Understudy posted:

Just to let everyone know, incase it's not common knowledge, here's what I learned at the SPCA today. When you bring in a stray it's put on the stray list for 5 days, during which time it's given a vet checkup and an adoption evaluation. You can also put down a $20 deposit towards adoption. If they think it's adoptable they will spay/neuter it and put a microchip in it and then show it to people. If they don't think it's adoptable they'll contact you back if you put $20 down and let you know, otherwise it's up to you to check back on the status of the animal.

The lovely thing I learned is that if an animal is too aggressive towards people or other animals, it cannot even be released back to anyone. Without saying it outright, the lady at the SPCA told me that because it was a pit bull there was a decent chance it could not be released because of their aggressive nature. I still put down $20 in hopes that I can get this dog in someone's home.

I'm ok with animals that are actually aggressive being euthanized. It could be a huge liability for the shelter if they sent people home with dogs that had proven to be aggressive. I just think that shelters need to give every animal the benefit of the doubt in terms of temperament testing, and make drat sure the particular dog really is aggressive. I'm obviously against BSL crap or making assumptions about breeds.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 9, 2009

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Admin Understudy posted:

People this blatantly loving stupid shouldn't be anywhere near an animal, much less working with them. :sigh:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Superconductor posted:

People this blatantly loving stupid shouldn't be anywhere near an animal, much less working with them. :sigh:
I seem to remember a craigslist posting in my (multi-county) area from a new SPCA director asking about local Pitbull rescues. Seems the new director was a fan of piibbles, but the SPCA he/she worked at had a policy of not accepting/adopting them, and was looking for a place nearby to refer people.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
FW Fish question:

I have a male pearl gourami, and recently lost his buddies (they were pretty old). The matchup used to be Male Pearl, Female Pearl, and Female Dwarf (all gouramis, naturally). I've heard that Male gouramis are happier in groups of three. Is that true, or can I attempt to recreate the previous mix again?

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Pineapple posted:

Could be a yeast infection from the antibiotics maybe?

I had originally thought this but the stuff I've been reading when researching this possibility hasn't really described what's going on with her, aside from itching.

Anyway, she actually slept through the night instead of scratching and has been pretty good today so it looks like it might be healing up, whatever it was.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
So I started a new fish tank. A 55 gallon tank, specifically..
After having it cycle for a few weeks; and letting everything (water temp, pH, alkalinity, all that jazz) get to be perfect I decided I would make it into a cichlid tank. I already have a 30 gal. community tank and wanted something different.

I bought an Electric Blue "Ahli" Cichlid. It's beautiful. One question though; he/she keeps trying to bury themselves in the gravel. Literally going full speed and ramming into the gravel and staying there for a bit.... then happily swimming off. (S)He randomly does this and I wonder if this is normal or not?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

chomper posted:

So I started a new fish tank. A 55 gallon tank, specifically..
After having it cycle for a few weeks; and letting everything (water temp, pH, alkalinity, all that jazz) get to be perfect I decided I would make it into a cichlid tank. I already have a 30 gal. community tank and wanted something different.

I bought an Electric Blue "Ahli" Cichlid. It's beautiful. One question though; he/she keeps trying to bury themselves in the gravel. Literally going full speed and ramming into the gravel and staying there for a bit.... then happily swimming off. (S)He randomly does this and I wonder if this is normal or not?

Apparently they love to dig, and prefer a nice soft substrate so that they can do so.

BOOTY PIRATE
Jun 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh
picking up a basset puppy friday. our crate was outside a while and is a bit rusty, is that bad for the dog? if so, any recommendations to remove ther ust?

C.TheRaven
Nov 6, 2004

I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.

BOOTY PIRATE posted:

picking up a basset puppy friday. our crate was outside a while and is a bit rusty, is that bad for the dog? if so, any recommendations to remove ther ust?

If the rust can be removed; a lot of elbow grease and steel wool, sand paper for the really hard bits. I'd never put a pet in a rusted crate, hell I'd clean up something rusty before -I- used it because of the chance of cuts and lockjaw (tetanus).

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

BOOTY PIRATE posted:

The real question here is, am I getting my puppy from the right person? Are you purchasing from a breeder or adopting from the shelter? If from a breeder, is this person a responsible breeder?

BOOTY PIRATE
Jun 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh

GoreJess posted:

The real question here is, am I getting my puppy from the right person? Are you purchasing from a breeder or adopting from the shelter? If from a breeder, is this person a responsible breeder?

a rescue, brood to be exact, get all of our bassets (usually seniors) from them

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah

GoreJess posted:

You're getting a puppy, too?

Small world.

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
For a rusty crate, take it apart as far as it comes apart, scrub the rust off with a wire brush/steel wool/sandpaper or what have you, then repaint it with some rustoleum and let it dry thoroughly outside or somewhere where ventilated until the paint smell goes away.

If there's somewhere near you that does powder coating you can also get it re-coated.

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Sep 12, 2006
My 7-month-old Beagle Henry was at the vet today for a check-up, and because of his red ears (no infection), decreased appetite, and him chewing on his feet, she said he probably had allergies. She recommended we give him 25mg tablets of Benadryl twice a day and he should feel better, but I wanted to see if PI had any opinion on this, since I'm a bit hesitant to give my puppy some people medicine. What do you guys think?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi posted:

My 7-month-old Beagle Henry was at the vet today for a check-up, and because of his red ears (no infection), decreased appetite, and him chewing on his feet, she said he probably had allergies. She recommended we give him 25mg tablets of Benadryl twice a day and he should feel better, but I wanted to see if PI had any opinion on this, since I'm a bit hesitant to give my puppy some people medicine. What do you guys think?

Benadryl is perfectly fine to give for allergies, but even better would be removing the SOURCE of his allergies. What food is he on? It could be food related, and a switch to a higher quality food might help.

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Sep 12, 2006

Superconductor posted:

Benadryl is perfectly fine to give for allergies, but even better would be removing the SOURCE of his allergies. What food is he on? It could be food related, and a switch to a higher quality food might help.
He used to be on Royal Canin, but we just upgraded to Blue Buffalo about two weeks ago. We mix wet Blue Buffalo with the dry, and he seemed to like the beef and lamb wet food, but we've also given him venison and turkey/chicken. He's on the turkey/chicken right now, and since he started this can he hasn't really touched his food that much. We'll definitely be going back to the beef and lamb canned foods, but we thought we'd try a few different flavors to see which ones he liked best.

Do you recommend we go back to beef or lamb before we try the Benadryl?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

He used to be on Royal Canin, but we just upgraded to Blue Buffalo about two weeks ago. We mix wet Blue Buffalo with the dry, and he seemed to like the beef and lamb wet food, but we've also given him venison and turkey/chicken. He's on the turkey/chicken right now, and since he started this can he hasn't really touched his food that much. We'll definitely be going back to the beef and lamb canned foods, but we thought we'd try a few different flavors to see which ones he liked best.

Do you recommend we go back to beef or lamb before we try the Benadryl?

If he wasn't having issues on the foods he was previously eating, you could go back to that but personally, I'd try switching to a grain free first because Royal Canin is not that great. Blue Buffalo's Wilderness formula is grain free, and if you have a Petco nearby there's several brands you could try. But yeah, if the allergies are a new thing that have come with the change in food, I'd definitely put him on something else. I'd try a grain free for about 6-8 weeks (it could easily take that long to clear up) and if there are no changes, I'd go back to feeding him what he was eating before this issue started. That's what I personally would do anyway, other might have some more advice to add.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

If it's a food allergy they take time to improve when the food is switched, so you should be giving your dog the meds if he's itchy now--don't let him itch for the weeks it can take to see an improvement. It could easily be something not diet-related too, so in that case he would be itchy and not improving while you tried to figure out foods.

The most important thing to remember here, though, is that if your vet prescribes a medicine the internet won't be able to tell you if they are right or not, so find a vet you trust and follow their recommendations. In addition, just because people take benadryl doesn't mean anything about how well it will or won't work in dogs. With a few exceptions, the vast majority of drugs in veterinary pharmacies are generics of human drugs.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

BOOTY PIRATE posted:

a rescue, brood to be exact, get all of our bassets (usually seniors) from them

Sorry if I came off all pissy. Just wanted to make sure before you came home with an overpriced poorly-bred puppy.

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Sep 12, 2006
I appreciate your help, Superconductor and Chaco. :) We'll run out and get him the Benadryl tonight, and try going back to his lamb and beef to see if that helps. We'll make sure to keep an eye on him and see if the food changes anything -- hopefully whatever's bothering him can be fixed soon. Thank you!

EDIT -- he's eating his Blue Buffalo salmon wet food like there's no tomorrow, so I'm hoping he just wasn't eating earlier because he's picky. We're still going to get him some Benadryl to help with the itchiness, but at least he's back to eating with his usual gusto!

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 12, 2009

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I appreciate your help, Superconductor and Chaco. :) We'll run out and get him the Benadryl tonight, and try going back to his lamb and beef to see if that helps. We'll make sure to keep an eye on him and see if the food changes anything -- hopefully whatever's bothering him can be fixed soon. Thank you!

EDIT -- he's eating his Blue Buffalo salmon wet food like there's no tomorrow, so I'm hoping he just wasn't eating earlier because he's picky. We're still going to get him some Benadryl to help with the itchiness, but at least he's back to eating with his usual gusto!

Your vet probably told you this but make sure you get plain benadryl with only diphenhydramine as the active ingredient. None of that allergy + sinus or cold stuff.

BOOTY PIRATE
Jun 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh

GoreJess posted:

Sorry if I came off all pissy. Just wanted to make sure before you came home with an overpriced poorly-bred puppy.

well, we still don't know

the pups come from a purebreed mother but unkown breed father, they're definitely mixed but we're not sure with what (at some point well get that checked)

anyways, here's a picture of the pup we're picking up @ about 3 weeks

naming him Marley, not after that lovely movie though.

thuvia
Oct 6, 2006

The planets have been read wrongly before now, even by centaurs.
My neighbor's two dogs bark constantly. I and other neighbors have spoken to her, sent certified letters to code enforcement, she has been fined by the city, I have even called the police but she has done nothing that we can tell to teach the dogs not to bark.

I've seen in Petsmart electronic dog whistles that can be hung from a fence that apparently emit this sound only a dog can hear that gets the dog to stop barking. I don't really know how they work, if they're really loud (how can I tell how loud something is if I can't hear it?) or if they're just gimmicks. I don't want to hurt the dogs, the packaging calls the noise 'unpleasant', and I don't want to bother other dogs who might hear it but not be barkers. I also do not want to bother or injure my cat with it. Do any of you have any experience with them or can you offer any advice?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Yarg.

Ok I hope this is me just being a hypochondriac mommy.

Teddy has been more disinterested with his food the past few days. Now, I preface this with saying he has really never been a food motivated dog... the first nonchalant eater I have ever owned. He's picky, and will spit out treats of he doesn't like them. I am used to dogs that would run you over to make sure they licked up that drop of barbeque sauce that dripped on the floor.

I don't know if he's just being picky and stubborn... or if there is something wrong with him. I made an appointment with the vet.. but I can’t get in until the 28th at this point.

He only drank the liquid out of his breakfast this morning. Last night he ate about 1/2 of his dinner... stopped, then finished it around 10:00 (I had forgotten to pick the bowl up as I usually do).

He seems fine; he's happy, jumping, his poops look normal (if not a little smaller). He was eating a little grass yesterday so I thought he might have an upset stomach... but it's always hard to tell because his favorite game is "bite the grass."

Should I just feed him some bland broth and rice tonight?
Should I be worried?

I am a freaking out retard.

NickNails
May 30, 2004

Do different animals have different allergy causing things? My girlfriend and I are looking at Chinchilla's, but she's allergic to cats, dust, and trees. I know they need the dust bath and whatnot, but that can be controlled. If we go to a shelter that has a Chinchilla, and she has a reaction, would it be the same for all Chinchilla's?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Probably yeah, if she's allergic to one she'd be allergic to all. In general I'd not recommend a chin for someone with allergies. The bathing-dust isn't the biggest concern - chinchillas need to eat unlimited timothy hay, which causes HORRIBLE allergies for a lot of people. It releases a lot of hay dust into the air in the course of normal use. Make sure she handles the hay when she visits the shelter - picks it up, shakes it around, and breaths in the dust and odor. That's what she'll most likely react to.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Pooptron2003 posted:

Yarg.

Ok I hope this is me just being a hypochondriac mommy.

Teddy has been more disinterested with his food the past few days. Now, I preface this with saying he has really never been a food motivated dog... the first nonchalant eater I have ever owned. He's picky, and will spit out treats of he doesn't like them. I am used to dogs that would run you over to make sure they licked up that drop of barbeque sauce that dripped on the floor.

I don't know if he's just being picky and stubborn... or if there is something wrong with him. I made an appointment with the vet.. but I can’t get in until the 28th at this point.

He only drank the liquid out of his breakfast this morning. Last night he ate about 1/2 of his dinner... stopped, then finished it around 10:00 (I had forgotten to pick the bowl up as I usually do).

He seems fine; he's happy, jumping, his poops look normal (if not a little smaller). He was eating a little grass yesterday so I thought he might have an upset stomach... but it's always hard to tell because his favorite game is "bite the grass."

Should I just feed him some bland broth and rice tonight?
Should I be worried?

I am a freaking out retard.

My dog has always been very picky so the way I decide if there's something wrong when the only problem is she's not interested in her food is see if she's interested in eating anything.

Sometimes she just decides that her food is suddenly not good enough and won't eat it or will just pick at it. If she's still interested in my food (meats especially) then I just chalk it up to her being stubborn. It's when she doesn't want anything at all that I get worried. I don't know if your dog is generally interested in your food though.

So yeah, if there's something he really likes that is given very infrequently you could try testing with that. If you don't really know of anything like that then I'm not sure what to suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah

NickNails posted:

Do different animals have different allergy causing things? My girlfriend and I are looking at Chinchilla's, but she's allergic to cats, dust, and trees. I know they need the dust bath and whatnot, but that can be controlled. If we go to a shelter that has a Chinchilla, and she has a reaction, would it be the same for all Chinchilla's?

Allergy to one animal does not imply allergy to another animal - I'm allergic to dogs, but not to cats.

If a person's allergic to chicken, they can still eat turkey.