Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

King Skinny Pimp posted:

Quick question: Would you need to get a crate if you're rescuing an older (as in 8+ years) dog who's already house trained?
Dogs use their crates past the house-training stages, it's their "safe space" for naps, meals, and "oh poo poo I just dropped a plate and it shattered, Doggie [go to crate command] while I clean it up!" :)

I have a question: I'm adopting a mouse from someone who found her abandoned outside covered in paint. She washed and trimmed the paint out, and says she's healing up nicely, is there anything else I should keep an eye out for? (Animal abusers <:mad:>) She's apparently very sweet despite it.

(This is the picture included with her Facebook Marketplace "free to good home" ad: no I won't feed her crackers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burnt Out Case
Oct 2, 2006

the revolution begins with two wheels
I posted this in my 3 legged dog thread but wanted to get the input of a few more people. Not for any particluar reason, just because I am curious what others think. Meet Pepper, my one year old shelter dog. She has a ton of energy and has been nothing but sweetness so far. Any ideas on what mix of breeds she may be would be welcome.

Thanks!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
We just adopted a new cat today. She's settled in really well and is enjoying her new home. But our current cat seems a little confused and a bit uncomfortable with the new cat. I've been giving her treats whenever the new cat is around, as I know that works with dogs. Are there any other ways I can help her adjust to the new cat?

Burnt Out Case
Oct 2, 2006

the revolution begins with two wheels
We adopted a pair of cats, then another pair. All of them hated each other for the first week or so, but then were fine. We have all males though which I heard helps. I made sure that the original pair received extra snuggle time to make sure they knew we were not going to favor the newcomers.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Skizzles posted:

We just adopted a new cat today. She's settled in really well and is enjoying her new home. But our current cat seems a little confused and a bit uncomfortable with the new cat. I've been giving her treats whenever the new cat is around, as I know that works with dogs. Are there any other ways I can help her adjust to the new cat?

If "a bit uncomfortable" is the worst of it, then they'll be fine in a few days/weeks. They might even be friends. Unless one of the cats harbors a deep hatred of other cats, then I'd say that most cats come around with time.

We've fostered a lot of shelter cats, and every time we bring home a new cat, our Manx mix, Scrapper, gets kind of pissed off and jealous. It's like he thinks the new cat is going to steal his attention. Then within a matter of a couple weeks he realizes that he's still getting attention and theres a new cat in the house to play with!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Cuddlebottom posted:

(It's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, by the way. ;) )

Thanks, I always get it backwards some in some fashion. Kinda a mouthful.

maso posted:

She could get a pet puppy from a responsible show breeder for less than $900. That's absurd.

That's what I tried to tell her. I tried to push her to adopt and she thinks this counts and doesn't understand why I'm telling her to go find a breeder if she's going to pay. I don't know why people become stupid when it comes to this sort of thing. I think the byb she got her current CKC from charged her $1,500 so she's looking at the $900 going "what a deal! :downs: " Sometimes I wonder if it's worth trying to help because I always end up feeling annoyed and like I'm beating my head against a wall. :bang: I'm almost to the point of just telling her to waste her cash and to enjoy her double dose of mitral valve heart disease.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

anachrodragon posted:

If "a bit uncomfortable" is the worst of it, then they'll be fine in a few days/weeks. They might even be friends. Unless one of the cats harbors a deep hatred of other cats, then I'd say that most cats come around with time.

We've fostered a lot of shelter cats, and every time we bring home a new cat, our Manx mix, Scrapper, gets kind of pissed off and jealous. It's like he thinks the new cat is going to steal his attention. Then within a matter of a couple weeks he realizes that he's still getting attention and theres a new cat in the house to play with!

Yeah, we weren't sure if she (Breeze) would like the new cat (Freya) around since as far as we know she's never been around other cats. But Breeze can be pretty playful and we thought she'd like a playmate since my boyfriend works quite a bit and I haven't moved here yet. We made sure to get a cat who was friendly with other cats.

She has hissed at the Freya a couple times, but as long as Freya doesn't invade her space too much she'll sit across the room and watch her, seeming genuinely curious. Freya has been very good and giving Breeze her space even though she does want to go over and say hello.

I know with two females it's a little trickier but when we saw Freya she won our hearts pretty quickly. We've been making sure to give Breeze extra pets and play time and she seems to really be enjoying it. I'm sure they'll be running around playing with each other within a week or two. :3:

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah

anachrodragon posted:

Manx mix

Isn't a "Manx mix" not possible?

Either it's a Manx... or it's not.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Manx is a breed in itself, not just a reference to tail length, and Manx cats can have the whole range from a full tail to none. By "Manx mix" they probably mean a shelter cat with less than a full tail--unlikely to be purebred, but still with Manx qualities.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
We have three dogs, 2 pit bull rescues and a puppy dachshund we just got. We think our male pit bull is about a year and a half old. Lately he has been drinking a lot of water and peeing an abnormal amount as well. Its not a constant dribble but a full pee, enough that he cant hold his bladder for an extended period of time. He peed in his crate today which isn't like him at all. We are taking him to the vet on Friday and are just hoping its something small like a urinary infection. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

lightpole posted:

We have three dogs, 2 pit bull rescues and a puppy dachshund we just got. We think our male pit bull is about a year and a half old. Lately he has been drinking a lot of water and peeing an abnormal amount as well. Its not a constant dribble but a full pee, enough that he cant hold his bladder for an extended period of time. He peed in his crate today which isn't like him at all. We are taking him to the vet on Friday and are just hoping its something small like a urinary infection. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Could be diabetic. That's something they may check out since those can be common symptoms.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

hhgtrillian posted:

Could be diabetic. That's something they may check out since those can be common symptoms.

We are afraid of that.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

lightpole posted:

We are afraid of that.

Don't worry too much until they do a few tests. It could just be a UTI, but you won't really know until they check him out.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I saw a post regarding dogs but how about a cat.

My fiance and I own two cats, Google and Quaker. Quaker was formerly feral, and is a little monster. She hates pretty much everything that lives (except my fiance) and is a terror to Google. Google has always put up with it pretty well until recently. In this past week, about half the time Google has started peeing/pooping wherever she feels like instead of using the litter box.

Is there any way to solve this without getting rid of one of the cats? Our only idea right now is to get more litter boxes, but I have no idea where we will put them. I don't know if it will work either because both cats like to go use multiple litter boxes when they're available.

C.TheRaven
Nov 6, 2004

I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Google has always put up with it pretty well until recently. In this past week, about half the time Google has started peeing/pooping wherever she feels like instead of using the litter box.

You're gonna get this a lot: TAKE YOUR CAT TO THE VET.
If your cat has a sudden change in a habit like this, its an sign of something being physically wrong with the cat, especially since your cat has taken the "abuse" from the other cat without this behavior happening before. Cat's don't show they are sick in the typical ways you'd expect; but their behavior changes, or they just crawl into a place to die alone.

Sure it could be a behavior issue, but its more likely it is a medical EMERGENCY. And if it is a behavior issue, your vet will have tips to change the behavior.

Why do people jump to this conclusion? Experience. Can't tell you how many times I've seen posts on here from cat owners asking the SAME exact question, and those that bother to come back after they get an answer they weren't expecting (go to the vet), generally have the same conclusion: You guys were right. And in the best case scenario, the illness was caught and treated before their cat died.

No one can tell you exactly what it could be, but there are a number of things it could be... only a vet can check out your kitty and see if it purely a behavior issue, or if there is something you couldn't possibly see going on medically.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Might my cat be ticklish? She enjoys the hell out of being petted firmly, but light and gentle pets generally result in walking away after swatting my hand.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

C.TheRaven posted:

You're gonna get this a lot: TAKE YOUR CAT TO THE VET.

That's what we were thinking... We're going to make an appointment as soon as we can. Thanks for the advice!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Might my cat be ticklish? She enjoys the hell out of being petted firmly, but light and gentle pets generally result in walking away after swatting my hand.

I don't know if I'd call it 'ticklish' but cats can be pretty sensitive to touch. My Siamese is pretty particular in how you pet her too. She doesn't like light and/or fast touches. You have to pet her slowly and firmly if you want to keep your fingers. Somedays I can tell by the look on her face the moment I touch her she's not in the mood for pets period. Ah, meezers. v :) v

There is a thing in severe cases called 'play aggression' that usually results from them being to overstimulated, especially by touch. Cats are just particular and fickle creatures at times so pet him however he seems to enjoy best. If he bites or swats you hard make a high pitched yelp like it hurt.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
This is kind of embarrassing... My kitten had a white, stringlike object hanging out of her backside once the other night. She's been pretty good about her litterbox and doesn't eat more than normal. I took her outside for a walk once.

Should I take her to the vet out of concern that it might be worms or get an over the counter worm medicine? I don't think I've had any string around the house.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Aerofallosov posted:

This is kind of embarrassing... My kitten had a white, stringlike object hanging out of her backside once the other night. She's been pretty good about her litterbox and doesn't eat more than normal. I took her outside for a walk once.

Should I take her to the vet out of concern that it might be worms or get an over the counter worm medicine? I don't think I've had any string around the house.

Does she use tampons?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

About a month ago, our cat just sort of stopped going downstairs when were around. She used to hang out with when we were eating dinner, and while we were watching TV, but she just sort of stopped. Her food bowl is down there, and she eats about the same amount everyday, she just waits until we are not around. She hangs out with us whenever we're in the bedroom, same as before. She still uses the litter box as normal, so I didn't think anything of it at first, but now I'm getting a little worried. Is this just typical cat weirdness, or should I be worried something is wrong?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

gninjagnome posted:

About a month ago, our cat just sort of stopped going downstairs when were around. She used to hang out with when we were eating dinner, and while we were watching TV, but she just sort of stopped. Her food bowl is down there, and she eats about the same amount everyday, she just waits until we are not around. She hangs out with us whenever we're in the bedroom, same as before. She still uses the litter box as normal, so I didn't think anything of it at first, but now I'm getting a little worried. Is this just typical cat weirdness, or should I be worried something is wrong?

Is your cat old (10+)? Maybe arthritis is setting in, and the stairs aren't worth it unless food is involved? Do you have new smells downstairs that maybe the cat doesn't like?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

EnsGDT posted:

Does she use tampons?

Nope! It was a very thin string anyway.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Aerofallosov posted:

Bring a stool sample to the vet, because yes she could have worms. From what I've heard OTC worm medicines aren't very reliable. Some types of worms can be passed from kitties to people too so it's really something you should get checked out to be safe.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
My girlfriend and I are considering getting a kitten when we move into our new place this May. She has two parakeets and her concern is that the cat will kill/torment them mercilessly and she does not want that. Do all cats react this way towards birds? If the cat is around them from a young age will it be comfortable with them? The bird cage is on the top of a book shelf and takes up almost the entirety of the available space, making it unlikely that a cat would be able to even get up beside the cage. I hate her birds and really want a cat so I guess whatever you guys tell me will be good news - they will get along or the birds will meet an early demise!*

* I don't actually sanction the senseless killing of small animals/birds.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Doc_Uzuki posted:

My girlfriend and I are considering getting a kitten when we move into our new place this May. She has two parakeets and her concern is that the cat will kill/torment them mercilessly and she does not want that. Do all cats react this way towards birds? If the cat is around them from a young age will it be comfortable with them? The bird cage is on the top of a book shelf and takes up almost the entirety of the available space, making it unlikely that a cat would be able to even get up beside the cage. I hate her birds and really want a cat so I guess whatever you guys tell me will be good news - they will get along or the birds will meet an early demise!*

* I don't actually sanction the senseless killing of small animals/birds.

It really depends on the degree of the cat's prey drive, but most cats will show some interest in birds, especially small ones, so you need to be ready for it.

It is possible to have pet cats and pet birds, but I would advise to keep the birds in a room where you can close off access from the cat when you are unable to watch them.

A spray bottle with water in it is also helpful to help deter the cat from bothering the birds, just give a squirt to startle the kitten if it is stalking/intensely eyeing the birds.

stelladaniella
Jun 6, 2006
Urban Pirate
I'm moving across Canada with my two year old English Springer Spaniel. We're moving by car and the dog occasionally gets car sick. I spoke with my vet and she recommended we give him Serenia(sp?) to prevent vomiting. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the situation, or experience using this drug?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Meow Cadet posted:

Is your cat old (10+)? Maybe arthritis is setting in, and the stairs aren't worth it unless food is involved? Do you have new smells downstairs that maybe the cat doesn't like?

Don't think there are any smells, at least not new ones. She's getting on 9 now, so maybe something is starting to develop. We have a vet trip planned soon, so we'll ask about it then.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

My cat drools when I petit. What is up with that yall. It makes me sad bc its a super pretty cat but I dont want to pet it bc it gets drool everywhere. Well thanks for helping gowby, the boy with the drooling cat.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

gowb posted:

My cat drools when I petit. What is up with that yall. It makes me sad bc its a super pretty cat but I dont want to pet it bc it gets drool everywhere. Well thanks for helping gowby, the boy with the drooling cat.

Your cat is too blissed out from your awesome pets to keep its spit under control. The solution is for you to be less good at petting. Or maybe get a towel.

Shouganai
May 16, 2004

Clever girl.

stelladaniella posted:

I'm moving across Canada with my two year old English Springer Spaniel. We're moving by car and the dog occasionally gets car sick. I spoke with my vet and she recommended we give him Serenia(sp?) to prevent vomiting. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the situation, or experience using this drug?
Cerenia is a new anti-emetic drug on the market here in Canada, and in my experience with it in the clinic, it works quite well, and I've not really noticed any side-effects. It is being marketed as a medication especially for car-sickness when you would prefer not to sedate the dog in order to travel. I'd go for it, imo.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

maplecheese posted:

Your cat is too blissed out from your awesome pets to keep its spit under control. The solution is for you to be less good at petting. Or maybe get a towel.

Yeah, my cat does the same thing. My best advice is to keep him from resting his head on your keyboard. :argh:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

gowb posted:

Drooling can be a sign of rotting teeth. Be sure to have your cat's mouth looked at next time you are at the Vet.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

stelladaniella posted:

We've had success with chewable gravol, too.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008
I'm preparing to get a sugar glider within the next couple months. One of my friends has a fairly large ferret cage she'll give me, but she said it may have spots of rust on the bars. Is there any paint/lacquer recommended for pet cages, that would be safe and non-toxic? Can't have my new buddy getting ill. :(

Any other glider anecdotes and tips would be appreciated. I have been researching a lot, so I feel pretty well-educated on most maintenance and health issues. But knowledge from experience would be great to hear. (Yes, I posted that in the sugar glider thread as well.)

stelladaniella
Jun 6, 2006
Urban Pirate

Shouganai posted:

Cerenia is a new anti-emetic drug on the market here in Canada, and in my experience with it in the clinic, it works quite well, and I've not really noticed any side-effects. It is being marketed as a medication especially for car-sickness when you would prefer not to sedate the dog in order to travel. I'd go for it, imo.

Thanks, I think I am going to go for it.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Chaco posted:

By "Manx mix" they probably mean a shelter cat with less than a full tail--unlikely to be purebred, but still with Manx qualities.

It's also possible that it's not a manx at all -- the mutation occurs in any breed, it's just more common in manx because they're inbred. :pseudo:

The odds of a purebred manx having a full tail are about 25%, IIRC, and it's necessary to breed tailless manx with tailed ones so that the mutation isn't as likely to be fatal. Breeders in the US often dock the tails of kittens to make them look like buyers expect them to -- they say there's also a chance that the vertebrae can become painfully fused later in life, but since tail docking is very much frowned upon in other countries, I'm pretty sure this is just a dumb excuse to raise the price tag on pet kittens.

Speaking of manx, the second I get good and scared, Fuzz's ear heals up like nothing was ever wrong. :rolleyes: Dammit, cat. Oh well, she needed the checkup anyway.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I saw a post regarding dogs but how about a cat.

My fiance and I own two cats, Google and Quaker. Quaker was formerly feral, and is a little monster. She hates pretty much everything that lives (except my fiance) and is a terror to Google. Google has always put up with it pretty well until recently. In this past week, about half the time Google has started peeing/pooping wherever she feels like instead of using the litter box.

Is there any way to solve this without getting rid of one of the cats? Our only idea right now is to get more litter boxes, but I have no idea where we will put them. I don't know if it will work either because both cats like to go use multiple litter boxes when they're available.

My cat recently started the same thing. She's old -- 14 years. Vet appointment on Monday.

So here's my question: What's the best way to get the cat pee smell out of the carpet?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

chesh posted:

So here's my question: What's the best way to get the cat pee smell out of the carpet?

Natures Miracle. You can get it at Petco/Petsmart. If it's an un-neutered male, maybe prayer.

Why do some dogs get their dew claws removed? I took my mutt in to get her nails clipped at a new vet, our usually one was busy, and the vet who did it asked me if I wanted to have her dew claw removed. I looked at her like she was retarded and said no, but I've read a few other places that some consider this normal practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.TheRaven
Nov 6, 2004

I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.

KilGrey posted:

Why do some dogs get their dew claws removed?

From what I learned from my parents, they remove the dew claws because those claws don't get the normal sanding down that most toenails on a dog will when it goes outside and walks around in rocks and the things that naturally keep a dog's nails from growing too long, and from curling under and becoming a problem. So the dew claw has a higher chance of over growing, possibly curling under, not being noticed, and then creating an infection/abscess, or in some cases.. I've seen dogs who's dew claws snag on something, and the dog rips the claw/nail off trying to free itself.

Its not a big issue if your dog is an indoor dog, and you groom them often. If you are grooming your pup yourself, you probably won't miss clipping dew claws. But I've noticed on my father's dogs, that the groomer often doesn't notice the dew claws of the dogs who have them, and they are forced to bring the dog back to have the dew claw nails clipped specifically. Sometimes those nails can be difficult with some dogs to clip too. They grow pretty fast (because there is no natural filing/sanding down of the nail), so you have to watch them and may have to clip them more than you would the other nails.

Most understanding is that dew claws are no longer a necessary part of a dog (but at one point, their wolf ancestors needed their dew claws? I suppose they used them in some way, beats me on how exactly), so people often remove them because of that- without thinking of the reasons vets (at least in my area) recommend removing them; preventing nail overgrowth and complications associated.

C.TheRaven fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 29, 2009