Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Kurtz posted:

I'm looking into buying my first bike. I have no experience at all, but plan on getting a permit/license within the next month. I came across this bike, and it looks like the best deal I've seen. 1993 Kawasaki EX500.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1139356357.html

That looks like a good deal, if all is as described. Bonus points for a coherent ad. Go take a look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my holes are ready
Oct 26, 2006
So, I was all set to buy a big, fancy HDTV when I saw this Craigslist ad tonight:

http://westslope.craigslist.org/mcy/1143410544.html

Pertinent information:

I have never owned a motorcycle.
I don't know how to ride a motorcycle.
I want a motorcycle.
I want a new TV.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular motorcycle? Am I getting into more than I want to deal with in an older bike? What are the most important questions to ask of the seller? Any help/advice would be great because I don't want to talk to this guy and have him peg me as an easy sell.

EDIT: Seller is asking $975, KBB is $1045.

my holes are ready fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 28, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Perfzilla posted:

So, I was all set to buy a big, fancy HDTV when I saw this Craigslist ad tonight:

Pertinent information:

I want a motorcycle.
I want a new TV.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular motorcycle? Am I getting into more than I want to deal with in an older bike? What are the most important questions to ask of the seller? Any help/advice would be great because I don't want to talk to this guy and have him peg me as an easy sell.

I know there's a few people on here with CB/CM 400s, and they seem pretty positive about their machines. I own the bigger cousin of that bike and I'm pretty happy with it (want to move to an actual sportbike as soon as I can, but still pretty happy in the meantime). If you do get it be ready to replace pads, fork oil, and it's coming up on valves if they haven't been done already.

Also if you don't know how to ride I would suggest taking the MSF first. At that point you can decide if you actually want a bike. If you don't love it, don't do it, because it's silly to get killed doing something you like.

Big honking edit: Don't forget gear. Figure up to a grand for your gear. If you bargain hunt you can do it all for pretty cheap (I did it for a hair over $500 while still getting name brand, quality, equipment) but you absolutely need boots, pants, jacket, glove, and helmet. It makes no sense to protect one part of you just to feed the rest of your body into a meat grinder.

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 28, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Perfzilla posted:

Pertinent information:

I want a motorcycle.
I want a new TV.

This is beyond exhaustive:

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

With that said, I'd say that you're better off taking that money, buying an almost as nice HDTV, and signing up for your local MSF class. That'll get you some experience on a motorcycle, someone one else's motorcycle that it won't matter if you drop it, and it'll give you the chance to figure out if riding is for you or not. Cheaper than buying a bike and finding out after the fact that it's not right for you for a thousand and one reasons :)

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/1143536715.html

$1500 seems too good to be true. Does anything about this ad indicate something wrong with the bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Entreri posted:

$1500 seems too good to be true. Does anything about this ad indicate something wrong with the bike?

Just seems like a reasonable price for the bike. Give him a call and go see it, sometimes people just need to get rid of bikes.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Entreri posted:

Seems reasonable for a Ninjette. However... "Plastics a bit rough" + NOS sticker probably means the bike has been down a few times.

NOS stickers are like the barb-wire tribal tattoos of the automotive world. I guess their cheaper then a flashing LED panel that says "I'ma douche!", but they're just not as subtle drat it!

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Gr3y posted:

Seems reasonable for a Ninjette. However... "Plastics a bit rough" + NOS sticker probably means the bike has been down a few times.

NOS stickers are like the barb-wire tribal tattoos of the automotive world. I guess their cheaper then a flashing LED panel that says "I'ma douche!", but they're just not as subtle drat it!

Yeah, the mentioning of the rough plastics concerns me. I don't really care about the aesthetics of the bike since it's going to be my first and I'll probably lay it down anyway, but I don't want to buy something that's mangled up and is dangerous to ride.

Pictures of it:
http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/nn375/v12bmw750il/ninja/

Bring It On, DEA
May 15, 2006

Modern art
Looking into buying a Yahama SR400 allready made into a cafe racer styling or just have a go at doing it myself. Any obvious pitfalls, problems with the bike itself? What kind of price range will I be looking at. So far it seems to be $5000 AUD and $7000 AUD. I dont have $5000 let alone $7000 any ways i can get around this like say buying a wreck and re-building?

I'm shooting for a Deus ex machina "Grevious Angel" looking bike. Minus the out of reach price tag.
Check out their website if you have never come across Deus bikes before, really great looking bikes.

http://www.deus.com.au/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bring It On, DEA posted:

Looking into buying a Yahama SR400 allready made into a cafe racer styling or just have a go at doing it myself. Any obvious pitfalls, problems with the bike itself? What kind of price range will I be looking at. So far it seems to be $5000 AUD and $7000 AUD. I dont have $5000 let alone $7000 any ways i can get around this like say buying a wreck and re-building?

I'm shooting for a Deus ex machina "Grevious Angel" looking bike. Minus the out of reach price tag.
Check out their website if you have never come across Deus bikes before, really great looking bikes.

http://www.deus.com.au/

Cool, thanks for the link...they've got some sweet flat tracker inspired stuff. Sorry, can't be any help on the SR400.

What sort of mechanical experience do you have to be converting a bike to a cafe racer? How extensive of a conversion do you want to do?

Entreri posted:

Yeah, the mentioning of the rough plastics concerns me. I don't really care about the aesthetics of the bike since it's going to be my first and I'll probably lay it down anyway, but I don't want to buy something that's mangled up and is dangerous to ride.

Pictures of it:
http://s321.photobucket.com/albums/nn375/v12bmw750il/ninja/

From the pics, the plastics actually don't look that bad. I'd buy that if I was looking for a starter bike. Ask him when the valves were done last, and if it wasn't recently, get him to knock some money off the price.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, this is speculative in the extreme, just for the purposes of makin' conversation. Assuming I'm still employed by the end of the year, I'm hoping to get into one of:

Guzzi V7 classic
Ducati GT1000
Triumph Bonnie or Thrux

The Bonnie outperforms the V7 but isn't as nicely built, and I'm not a fan of the way it feels under me (in the showroom) like I am with the Italians. The Duc outperforms both but costs half again as much, and there's those desmo valves to contend with. I'd like whatever I pick up to be reliable and easy to work on, since I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat who doesn't even have his KLR back on its legs again. I'm not bad mechanically, I can follow instructions but I don't have a lot of practical experience, my biggest problem is procrastination. I'm a lot farther along in NWN2 than I am in getting my thump back on the road. (I do plan to keep the KLR and basically have it be Betty to the new bike's Veronica. Such is, I understand, the fate of a KLR.)

Which of these is the optimal choice, oh CA?

Outside option - stay within the Green family and hunt down a ZRX. I really don't wanna go older than like a decade or so and I freely admit the unfaired retrostandard look is a primary driver of what I'm lookin' at.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'd say call a side on a coin for the ZRX and the other for the GT1000 and flip on it. They're both awesome machines in their own right, and I think both would make you stupidly happy. The ZRX would obviously be a good deal cheaper, but the Duc ... :swoon:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

I'd say call a side on a coin for the ZRX and the other for the GT1000 and flip on it. They're both awesome machines in their own right, and I think both would make you stupidly happy. The ZRX would obviously be a good deal cheaper, but the Duc ... :swoon:

I'm with simkin here...the Zrex has kickass looks and loads of stomp, but the GT is just pretty. The other 2 don't really do it for me.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Z3n posted:

From the pics, the plastics actually don't look that bad. I'd buy that if I was looking for a starter bike. Ask him when the valves were done last, and if it wasn't recently, get him to knock some money off the price.

I'm going to go see it tomorrow and I'll ask about the valves, though I have no idea what that entails. What is a good amount of time for 'recent' and how much should I ask off? Also, he mentions that it needs a new front tire. Is that something a novice can change after reading up about it or am I going to need to take it to a shop?

Do you guys have any last minute advice on what I should look for before I go to inspect it? Any questions I should definitely ask?

Thanks again guys, appreciate the input.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I think valves on a 250 need to be checked every 10,000km, which you can easily do yourself (it will likely take a good few hours your first time). With regards to tyres - take it to a shop, it's probably not something you want to be jumping into right away.

With an older bike, you want to obviously look for any signs of rust, especially on the exhaust. Take a close look at the chain and sprockets - if it looks like they've been poorly maintained, there's a good chance that he hasn't been on top of other regular maintenance either.

Simkin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 28, 2009

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Phy posted:

Alright, this is speculative in the extreme, just for the purposes of makin' conversation. Assuming I'm still employed by the end of the year, I'm hoping to get into one of:

Guzzi V7 classic
Ducati GT1000
Triumph Bonnie or Thrux

The Bonnie outperforms the V7 but isn't as nicely built, and I'm not a fan of the way it feels under me (in the showroom) like I am with the Italians. The Duc outperforms both but costs half again as much, and there's those desmo valves to contend with. I'd like whatever I pick up to be reliable and easy to work on, since I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat who doesn't even have his KLR back on its legs again. I'm not bad mechanically, I can follow instructions but I don't have a lot of practical experience, my biggest problem is procrastination. I'm a lot farther along in NWN2 than I am in getting my thump back on the road. (I do plan to keep the KLR and basically have it be Betty to the new bike's Veronica. Such is, I understand, the fate of a KLR.)

Which of these is the optimal choice, oh CA?

Outside option - stay within the Green family and hunt down a ZRX. I really don't wanna go older than like a decade or so and I freely admit the unfaired retrostandard look is a primary driver of what I'm lookin' at.

Where do you live? My friend is selling a ZRX1100 that is in really good shape, he's located in Washington state.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alberta, so about a 14 hour drive, but I can't really make any big cash outlays (or take on debts) until at least this fall.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I'm looking to get a first bike in the next couple weeks. I've found a couple that look promising and aren't too far away. Should I avoid any of these? Is it a faux pas to pay over KBB? I've been under the impression one would expect to pay $1000 for something that runs well.

1981 Yamaha XS650:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...trkparms=66%3A1|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318
It's a two-cylinder only imported for 2 years. There seems to be a fair amount of parts for it on ebay though.

1981 Suzuki GS650:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzu...trkparms=65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318
It has a windjammer - can these be easily removed? I don't need a tape deck, but if these didn't look so dorky they seem like they'd be killer for long trips. Sounds like it's in pretty mint condition. It's got >1000 miles and is listed only $100 short of blue book, with Buy It Now $600 over that.

1980 Kawasaki 650 LTD
http://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/1143932420.html
Listed for $1200 "firm," KBB is $850. Seems par for the course for CL in this area.

1979 Yamaha XS750
http://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/1140713059.html
Again, KBB $920, listed for $1350.

At this point I don't know if I really want to drive much farther as it'd be pushing overnighter trip length. loving UP.

Fake edit: Oh holy crap there's a Honda Nighthawk 550 in town for $800 on local university buy/sell forum.
http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/rslindke/
Sounds like the guy's buddy wants to check it out this weekend but I can have cash tomorrow. Ha-ha! Anything one needs to know about one of these?
Real Edit: Plus it comes with ramps, charger, two helmets (I'd buy a new one anyways.) I hate just diving in head-first, but drat if I don't want to drive sixteen hours. This way I could at least sit on it.

All I've ridden up until now is a ninja 250, and I want something that will better cope with long hours and miles, but still be somewhat sporty. I'm looking at the right kind of bikes, aren't I?

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 29, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That Honda definitely seems the best deal out of the lot.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

No joke. Even if I don't end up liking it/need the money in the long run, the way prices are here I could probably flip it for more than I paid. Not much depreciation left at this point, I wouldn't think. Plus, the guy is graduating and leaving town this weekend apparently so the time seems ripe.

Hopefully I can get ahold of him today. And have one of my buddies test drive it.

Something tells me motorcycles, newbies, and multiple finals-week all-nighters don't mesh well.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The GS could easily be flipped too. GS's GAIN value when you remove big nasty fairings. And they're easy to remove.

The GS also is shaft drive, eliminating that whole pesky chain thing.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Went and checked it out. Everything looks good. It's a shaft drive, too. Really like the seating position, but didn't drive it for aforementioned no-sleep reasons. Going back at 5 once the guy is out of a final, buddy's gonna ride, and barring anything major it's a done deal. Gonna need a new battery soon and rear tire this year, but that's about it, it seems.

It's a little on the high-horsepower side (i've seen 63 and 75 both mentioned), but it's the cheapest thing (only thing) in hundreds of miles and it's not ridiculous. The guys I'm going to ride with are pretty conservative too, so I won't be pressured to flog it.

Edit: and at $800 it's a full $1200 less than I budgeted for so more monies for good gear. I would have spent more on something newer, but this style of bike really appeals to me, and there REALLY isn't much of anything out here but harleys and dirtbikes. Edit2: And 'busas. Dyno'd 170 at the wheel dawg :v:

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 29, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Spime Wrangler posted:

It's a little on the high-horsepower side (i've seen 63 and 75 both mentioned), but it's the cheapest thing (only thing) in hundreds of miles and it's not ridiculous. The guys I'm going to ride with are pretty conservative too, so I won't be pressured to flog it.

It looks like 64hp. I own a KZ650 which has almost identical power and weight. I don't think you'll get yourself into too much trouble as long as the 550 engine doesn't have some sort of weird power curve and you ride safe.

Don't get me wrong, you'll be able to accelerate so fast your eyes will push into your skull but its not the kind of power like the Busa you mentioned where the bike will try to kill you if you make a mistake.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Trigger pulled. Bike is loving sweet.

Clothes shopping time.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Good first bike?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/1146561615.html

:laugh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

ugggggghhhh :flashfap:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

oh god I want it

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Just trying to figure out the suspension dynamics is hurting my brain, but it's all okay, because the crazy moon :science: layout is attached to the most gorgeous bit of bodywork to come out of Italy in the last few years.

Yes, it should make a good starter bike - carbon fibre fairings are much easier to repair than ABS plastic fairings.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Thank you guys for the advice. I looked at some of the other bikes, and it looks like the GS500 is right up my alley. Should be able to go fast enough for longer freeway driving but not have too much power.

And someone just put one up on craigslist for relatively cheap:

2004 Suzuki GS500- $1,900
13,500 miles
Laid down on the right side, so the right fairing is a little rashed, but everything mechanically still runs great.

Does this seem like a good deal?

road potato fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 30, 2009

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Simkin posted:

ugggggghhhh :flashfap:

Nothing is hotter on any vehicle (or anyTHING for that matter) than tubular spaceframe construction with functional CNC'd billet aluminum and carbon fiber.

Unless its a testbed prototype and everything is one-off. In which case it might just spontaneously combust with sexy.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Gstu posted:

Does this seem like a good deal?

If the damage is only cosmetic, that's a loving steal.

Does the Bimota use a pushrod suspension design, like an F1 car, or is it something even more bizarre. The carbon fibre tubes that attach the upper part of the front wheel hub (?) look so fragile. That's okay, though, as I'd never ride it, I'd just spend every waking moment in some sort of vegetative state, transfixed by the bike.

Wait... Maybe that's why it has zero miles. bike rider + Bimota hotness = :zombie:

Simkin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 30, 2009

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Whats the opinions on a V65 Sabre?

edit, also this:
1980 GS850 - $500

got to restore,had carbs cleaned,new tires,new clutch,new cables,new brakes, RUNS LIKE NEW, SHIFTS ODD/HARD ? NOT PUTTING ANYMORE MONEY IN IT. $500 OBO

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 1, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

wormil posted:

edit, also this:
1980 GS850 - $500

got to restore,had carbs cleaned,new tires,new clutch,new cables,new brakes, RUNS LIKE NEW, SHIFTS ODD/HARD ? NOT PUTTING ANYMORE MONEY IN IT. $500 OBO

A V65 Sabre has to be one of the fastest standards ever built. I'm saying this because the V65 Magma (the cruiser) was, for a while at least, the fastest production bike in the world, topping out a 180+. The Sabre has the same engine and a lighter chassis. I've also heard that those old Honda V4s can be a bitch to work on.

That said... I would love to have a Sabre at some point.

Wait for Nero to show up and school you on possible GS transmission issues. But $500 and running seems like it might be worth it if you're willing to do some work.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Cycle riders please help!

In a couple of hours I'm going to go look at a used Kawasaki Ninja 500. It's a late 90's model that's been sitting for several years. The owner says it runs, brakes, and is fine. Cosmetically it's supposed to be bad off, but functionally perfect. He was going to fix it up for his wife, but he doesn't have the time and is selling at a loss to get rid of it.

If it runs, the frame, fork, swingarm, shocks, brakes, transmission, engine, all rune well, and it costs the $550 he's asking, there's no reason I shouldn't buy it.

or is there?

Dents on the tank will worry me. I'll check for bent clip ons, cracked stuff, leaks, anything, but what else should I check for?

Essentially, what sort of pre-purchase inspection for a ninja 500 should I do?

Thank you for your help.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Korwen posted:

Cycle riders please help!

In a couple of hours I'm going to go look at a used Kawasaki Ninja 500. It's a late 90's model that's been sitting for several years. The owner says it runs, brakes, and is fine. Cosmetically it's supposed to be bad off, but functionally perfect. He was going to fix it up for his wife, but he doesn't have the time and is selling at a loss to get rid of it.

If it runs, the frame, fork, swingarm, shocks, brakes, transmission, engine, all rune well, and it costs the $550 he's asking, there's no reason I shouldn't buy it.

or is there?

Dents on the tank will worry me. I'll check for bent clip ons, cracked stuff, leaks, anything, but what else should I check for?

Essentially, what sort of pre-purchase inspection for a ninja 500 should I do?

Thank you for your help.

There's the absolutely exhaustive list. Read through it, you don't need to check everything that's on there, but it covers everything.

If it's been "sitting for several years", I highly doubt that it's going to run unless he's done a fair amount of work to it. Check the tank for rust as well. Also, depending on your state, be aware of back registration fees that may be due that will jack up the price.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Z3n posted:

be aware of back registration fees that may be due that will jack up the price.

Thank you for the great link. I'll be sure to check the tank and everything thoroughly - although the back registration fees are intriguing, as I know little about this. A quick google search revealed little about this "back registration". Is this a state by state thing? I'm in Texas, Travis County for what it's worth.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

wormil posted:

Also, depending on the year, the cam chain tensioners may be prone to failure; I think they sorted it out by '86; that might be worth knowing. It is a pretty bike though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Korwen posted:

Thank you for the great link. I'll be sure to check the tank and everything thoroughly - although the back registration fees are intriguing, as I know little about this. A quick google search revealed little about this "back registration". Is this a state by state thing? I'm in Texas, Travis County for what it's worth.

I would check with your DMV. In California, you're stuck with any unpaid registration and late fees, everything besides parking tickets basically. My bike was unregistered for a year before I got it, and I paid an extra $20 for that lateness. Makes no sense to me, personally, but it wasn't some exorbitant amount to get upset over.

Also seconding to CHECK THE INSIDE OF THE TANK. My Ninja 250 sat for only about a year as far as I can tell, and the tank had a considerable amount of rusty, silty sludge below the level of the main gas feed inlet. I found out the hard way after switching it to reserve and sucking a bunch of poo poo into the carbs, killing the bike for a weekend. I poured out probably a half a cup or more of really fine gritty sludge along with the gas that was in the tank. You can see the tub ring-like line of surface rust inside the tank at the level of the gas (or water in the tank) when it was sitting.

VVV Seriously, it is really a hosed up system. Why am I responsible for the past years of history of this bike that I didn't know existed weeks before?

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 2, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

I would check with your DMV. In California, you're stuck with any unpaid registration and late fees, everything besides parking tickets basically. My bike was unregistered for a year before I got it, and I paid an extra $20 for that lateness. Makes no sense to me, personally, but it wasn't some exorbitant amount to get upset over.

You got lucky, I had a friend pay 400$ for a bike that was a 4 years overdue. :(

Call your DMV, Korwen. They'll give you the correct info, the absolute worst place to get DMV info is motorcycle forums. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Gr3y posted:

A V65 Sabre has to be one of the fastest standards ever built. I'm saying this because the V65 Magma (the cruiser) was, for a while at least, the fastest production bike in the world, topping out a 180+. The Sabre has the same engine and a lighter chassis. I've also heard that those old Honda V4s can be a bitch to work on.

That said... I would love to have a Sabre at some point.

Wait for Nero to show up and school you on possible GS transmission issues. But $500 and running seems like it might be worth it if you're willing to do some work.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Also, depending on the year, the cam chain tensioners may be prone to failure; I think they sorted it out by '86; that might be worth knowing. It is a pretty bike though.

Thanks. Guy never returned my calls about the Sabre. It was a craigslist ad, guy says he is hard up for money and needs to sell it by tomorrow and will take $800, says it runs great. That was all the info.

Might go check out the GS850 tomorrow.