Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Holy poo poo are guys in Japan dropping left and right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The fat ones anyway. Ted Tanabe is the world's chubbiest ref, and for as spry as he manages to be it's still a lot of flab on the outside and possibly in the arteries. As far as 'guys over 35 with a lot of fat in puro', Tanabe and Misawa are/were top ten.

Jimchuck Spanner posted:

Wikipedia says Akiyama has retired as of today but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere else
Yahoo's Japanese sport site doesn't have that anywhere, nor does Meltzer, so I'm calling BS. If true that would be even worse for the company's future than losing Misawa.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I was just thinking, did NOAH do a Christmas special for '08 like in years past?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

My memory sucks; is Tanabe the MPro ref who counts very, VERY loud?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

M.Kishiwada posted:

My memory sucks; is Tanabe the MPro ref who counts very, VERY loud?
I dunno about loudness, but he's most recognizable for doing MPro. Japanese Horatio Sanz thing goin' on.

Ditch fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 15, 2009

Jimchuck Spanner
Sep 9, 2001

welp
I guess Ted died too :smith:

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

Jimchuck Spanner posted:

I guess Ted died too :smith:

Yeah. I checked online and saw a report on Nikkan Sports about it. It was also confirmed in the Osaka Pro blog. :smith:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
american balloon to complete the death in threes trio book it

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wrestlingobserver posted:

Although Pro Wrestling NOAH and the family of Mitsuharu Misawa attempted to keep the cause of death quiet, it has been reported in Japan from police reports from talking with hospital workers that the death was caused by a spinal cord injury from the back suplex and not heart problems.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Scott Norton was interviewed on today's Figure Four Daily, so if you are a member of F4/Observer you should check it out.

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!
Tanahashi won his title back! YAY!

Team 3D kept their titles. BOO!

Motor City Machine Guns come in next month to face Devitt/Taguchi! YAY!

And, as usual, Tiger Mask sucked. BOO!

Sugiura challenged Tanahashi to a match after his win! YAY! YAY! YAY!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

TheDuelies posted:

:flashfap:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

TheDuelies posted:

Awwwww YEAH!!!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

TheDuelies posted:

Tanahashi won his title back! YAY!

Couldn't they have made Nakanishi a transitional champ in say October to give him his lifetime achievement reign? My American smark brain is not processing the strong style booking here.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Couldn't they have made Nakanishi a transitional champ in say October to give him his lifetime achievement reign? My American smark brain is not processing the strong style booking here.

Questioning IWGP Title booking is so 2004.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Apparently Korauken Hall is sold out for NOAH already.

Main being KENTA & Go Shiozaki vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Kensuke Sasaki.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

TheDuelies posted:

That's the NOAH one? So, he's going to lose, but put on a good match.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Pretty much. I have a feeling they were going to do Goto over Sugiura, then Go over Goto, then Tanahashi defending over Go, but with Go winning the GHC title any plans along those lines are out.

Tanahashi vs Sugiura could be a real barn-burner if Tanahashi doesn't insist on doing fifteen minutes of legwork. Seriously we get it, you're the new Mutoh, now do something else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
NOAH is holding another Junior Tag League this summer (I guess it'll have a new name since the NTV deal is dead.)

-KENTA/Ishimori
-Kanemaru/Suzuki
-Kikuchi/Ito
-Hirayanagi/Kikutaro
-Nakajima/Miyahara
-Danielson/Strong
-Marvin/Edwards
-Aoki/Ibushi

Are the teams. The first two tournaments were awesome, so this should produce some great matches.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Marufuji being out hurts. Still, Danielson/Strong vs KENTA/Ishimori could rock and rock well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Marufuji being out hurts. Still, Danielson/Strong vs KENTA/Ishimori could rock and rock well.

I just hope Danielson/Strong vs Kikutaro/Hirayangi is taped, I need to see Kikutaro vs Strong.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Hybrid Dolphins gonna take it all.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

MassRayPer posted:

I just hope Danielson/Strong vs Kikutaro/Hirayangi is taped, I need to see Kikutaro vs Danielson.
I need more Happy Comedy Dragon in my life. And so do you.

Didn't Kanemaru get kicked out of the heel group or something? If not, I'd say him & Kotaro will probably take this.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Magnum Tokyo beat Kawada in HUSTLE.

In 25 minutes.

With a kick to the face

:psypop:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

In 25 minutes.

With a kick to the face

:aaa:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

HulkaMatt posted:

:aaa:

Can't wait to see this match. I'd ask how the Japanese would treat Kawada losing, but I thought I read somewhere he's lost face for only being in Hustle these days. Guess the Japanese smarks don't like his signing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just watched KENTA & Go Shiozaki vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Kensuke Sasaki from the 22nd. It was really loving good, Sasaki is a loving tree and he just plants himself in the middle of that ring. Nakajima is a crazy motherfucker and watching him take Go's chops is horrifying.

I believe this is the first match I have ever seen where a lariat was countered by lariating the other guy's arm!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Jerusalem posted:

I believe this is the first match I have ever seen where a lariat was countered by lariating the other guy's arm!
It's happened before, but not too often. Always gets a reaction. I think it's a credit to the fans' intelligence that they "get" the spot... though when you think about it the spot makes no sense (like selling a missed dropkick).

Yeah that was a great match.

Jimchuck Spanner
Sep 9, 2001

welp

Ditch posted:

In 25 minutes.

With a kick to the face

I have to say that Magnum is looking much less fat than he was during his last couple years in Dragon Gate, i.e. he is not forced to wear a t-shirt to conceal his gut and breasts

Still kinda doughy though

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
That's not such a bad thing now, considering he's playing a detective

Uh, he's still playing a detective isn't he? I haven't been able to follow Hustle since they cracked down on Youtube.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He's back to Magnum Tokyo.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
Oh well. What has Hustle been doing since that storyline?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Damned if I know. I gave up on it about a year ago.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Dolphins going ALL THE WAY~!

Pro-Wrestling NOAH - "SUMMER NAVIGATION 2009"

Block A:
- KENTA & Taiji Ishimori
- Bryan Danielson & Roderick Strong
- Atsushi Aoki & Kota Ibushi
- Genba Hirayanagi & Kikutaro

Block B:
- Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Kotaro Suzuki
- Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Akihiko Ito
- Katsuhiko Nakajima & Kento Miyahara
- Ricky Marvin & Eddie Edwards

NOAH, 12.07.2009 (G+)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block B: Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Kotaro Suzuki vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Kento Miyahara
2. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block A: KENTA & Taiji Ishimori vs. Atsushi Aoki & Kota Ibushi

NOAH, 14.07.2009
Hive Nagaoka

1. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block A: Bryan Danielson & Roderick Strong vs. Genba Hirayanagi & Kikutaro

NOAH, 15.07.2009
Iwate Prefectural Gymnasium

1. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block A: Atsushi Aoki & Kota Ibushi vs. Genba Hirayanagi & Kikutaro

NOAH, 16.07.2009
Kuji Citizen Gymnasium

1. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block B: Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Akihiko Ito vs. Ricky Marvin & Eddie Edwards

NOAH, 18.07.2009
Akita Furusato Mura

1. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block B: Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Akihiko Ito vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Kento Miyahara

NOAH, 19.07.2009
Mikawa Citizen Gymnasium

1. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block B: Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Kotaro Suzuki vs. Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Akihiko Ito

NOAH, 21.07.2009 (Samurai! TV)
Akita Municipal Gymnasium Sub Arena

1. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block B: Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Kotaro Suzuki vs. Ricky Marvin & Eddie Edwards
2. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block A: KENTA & Taiji Ishimori vs. Bryan Danielson & Roderick Strong

NOAH, 24.07.2009
Fuji Messe

1. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block B: Katsuhiko Nakajima & Kento Miyahara vs. Ricky Marvin & Eddie Edwards
2. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block A: KENTA & Taiji Ishimori vs. Genba Hirayanagi & Kikutaro
3. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Block A: Atsushi Aoki & Kota Ibushi vs. Bryan Danielson & Roderick Strong

NOAH, 25.07.2009 (G+)
Tokyo JCB Hall

1. Nippon TV Cup Jr. Heavyweight Tag League - Final:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The odds of the final not being KENTA/Ishimori vs Kanemaru/Suzuki are miniscule. Both are the only teams with any push heading in, they've had a confusing but very active storyline in recent months, etc.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am very displeased at some of those matches not being taped.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They aired a fair amount of stuff on their website in the last couple years in these sorts of cases. 7/24 especially makes me think this will be the case.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2009/07/09/puroresu-pulse-issue-151-misawa%e2%80%99s-career-in-60-matches-part-1/
THIS WEEK: Some Misawa matches, a couple of which I don't think were linked here.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
So what do you think the CIMA- doi title vs title match will end in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Wazzu posted:

So what do you think the CIMA- doi title vs title match will end in?

If there's any justice, Doi goes over clean, new main event ace is made.

Realistically, CIMA goes over, then beats up every member of World 1 himself.