Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

KilGrey posted:

I've been meaning to check out 1-800-PetMeds to see if it was any cheaper there. Does anyone have experience with them when it comes to meds? Are things really cheaper?

The rescue shelter I got my beagle-mix at uses http://deadfleaz.com based out of Australia. Prices are significantly cheaper than 1-800-PetMeds and I haven't had any problems with expired medicine. I usually buy 6 months at a time so it's not like it lingers around the house too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Telemaze posted:

I have a few questions about ear mites in cats.
Sometimes ear mites can be really stubborn and require several treatments a few weeks apart. It's also possible that his ear crud is from the dead mites and just needs to be cleaned out, or even that he has a secondary ear infection producing more crud.

Have you been cleaning his ears out at home, or are they just cleaning them at the vet before each treatment? I would take him back to the vet to see what's up, and ask them to show you how to clean his ears at home. Getting the gunk out in the meantime will at least help his comfort level. You can usually just use alcohol and q-tips, but if his ears are really scabby inside from the mites/scratching, I would ask your vet for something that won't sting as much as alcohol.

Also, if he's not on a monthly flea preventative already, I would pick up a dose of Revolution from your vet. It's for fleas and heartworms, but it also works pretty well against ear mites, so it might help.

As for the stains, rubbing alcohol and a comb will probably work better than soap. Just stay away from any raw or scabby areas.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Awesome, thanks for the response. I haven't been cleaning his ears out at home cause I have absolutely no idea how to. I will definitely bring him back in and ask them to show me, and also to get them treated again. I'll also ask them to check for an ear infection too.

I'll give the rubbing alcohol thing a go. His ears don't look scabby or irritated, they are just extremely gunky and dirty. Do I have to rinse the alcohol off afterwards or can I just wipe it off with a wet cloth? I'm nervous about him licking it up as he is a very licky sort of cat.

DuctTapeCat
Sep 25, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
We use the average low strength hydrogen peroxide and Q-tips to clean my dogs ears, that may be easier on him then alcohol.

Caffeine Samurai
May 22, 2005
I am Caffeine's bitch
So the wife and I have had our dog for a couple months now and we're wanting to know how to figure out if she will be a good non-fence dog without just opening the front door and letting her take off?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Caffeine Samurai posted:

So the wife and I have had our dog for a couple months now and we're wanting to know how to figure out if she will be a good non-fence dog without just opening the front door and letting her take off?

There is no such thing as a good 'no fence' dog. Some dogs are better than others with staying by the owners and have a good recall, but you never know what could set a dog running and it's much safer to never take the chance. Also, while your dog might be friendly it doesn't mean that other dogs will be and there are quite a few people who have a real fear of dogs and don't want yours to come up to them, however calm he maybe. I have a friend who kicks first, asks questions later. Not to mention it's illegal to have a dog outside of a fence with no leash and the fines in some places can be pretty pricey.

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?
The tomato from upstairs.

Caffeine Samurai posted:

Please do not let a dog outside off-leash without a fence. Seriously, I question your ability to be responsible for this living creature based on this post alone.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Our poor Beagle just had a Mastectomy due to a mass on one of her mammary glands. She's currently bandaged up around her rib cage and waaaaaay out of it at the moment due to the anesthesia. The doc said she can't do stairs, which is a problem since we live on the 2nd story of a building. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get her up and down the stairs? I tried lifting her by hand (one in front, and one one near her butt to avoid the banadages, but it apparently it was too painful as she yelped, and snapped at me. My wife and I ended up getting a blanket and just carrying her up that way.

The blanket isn't a big deal for me as I'm strong enough to do it by myself, the wife on the other hand probably not so much. Any suggestions?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I would get a travel crate to put her in (the smallest she can comfortably fit in) and have her load into that and carry it up. It would be a bit easier to manage than the blanket and due to being rigid should make it less likely she will get hurt.

You might be able to use a box or just the bottom half of a crate if she's afraid to go into a crate.

Caffeine Samurai
May 22, 2005
I am Caffeine's bitch

Froglin posted:

Please do not let a dog outside off-leash without a fence. Seriously, I question your ability to be responsible for this living creature based on this post alone.

Gee thanks, I was meaning when we were out somewhere I could let her run around without a leash, we're about to move out to a place with a couple acres and almost no neighbors for miles. I figured it would be ok to let her enjoy herself since we would be away from almost anyone else.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Caffeine Samurai posted:

Gee thanks, I was meaning when we were out somewhere I could let her run around without a leash, we're about to move out to a place with a couple acres and almost no neighbors for miles. I figured it would be ok to let her enjoy herself since we would be away from almost anyone else.

I'm not a fan of letting a dog off leash if it's not in a dog park or a place with a fence all around it at some point but I know a lot of people that live out in the country that have miles and miles between themselves, neighbors and busy roads that do this. While it makes me nervous I know people are going to do it anyway so just be really careful. Walk around the perimeter a good distance in the place you want to let her off leash to make sure there is nothing that she could hurt herself on. Make sure the neighbors don't have any dogs they let run around or other animals she could encounter. Introduce your dog to them so she's not a strange dog if she gets near or on their property. Try not to be near your neighbors if you can.

Work on her recall really well right now in the back yard. The best way is for her to know good things happen when she comes back to you. Giver a treat and praise her like she just cured cancer. Get her really interested in fetch so she wants to bring a toy back to you. Something that always gets my dog to come back to me is to bend down and assume what looks like the 'play' positions dogs get into. With your arms and upper body down and your butt kind of in the air, say her name loudly and excitedly then kind of run in the opposite direction. She should start to chase you. Does she like squeaker toys? My dog goes nuts for them so I cut out the squeaker from one of them and always have one in my pocket. It can get her attention not matter where she is and sends her running to me.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of this personally as there is a multitude of poo poo that can happen. One of my uncles thought he and his dog were safe out in the country and away from roads until his dog found a snake, tried to play with it and got bitten. It only takes a second for bad poo poo to happen. What about getting a really long tether so she has space to run but is still attached to you?

Caffeine Samurai
May 22, 2005
I am Caffeine's bitch

KilGrey posted:

:words:
I understand where you are coming from and I am going to keep her in the fenced in part of the yard most of the time, I had no plans on letting her run without a leash if I'm not standing there in the general area with her. Thank you for the advance also :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Caffeine Samurai posted:

I think in the "middle of nowhere" instance, there are certain dogs that can be ok off leash. I think a lot of times people forget how many working dogs are in that same position that are fine with their recall. I think the majority of it has to do with the breed of dog and very dedicated training.

What sort of dog do you have? I'm surprised no one's asked this. Breeds bred to work off leash in the field are going to be the ones with the best recall naturally, and the ones that are going to be the best candidates for off-leash time. Sporting dogs like labs, goldens, and herding dogs are probably the best. If you have a primitive dog like a spitz, or a hound of any type, please keep your dog leashed no matter how much training you put into recall. Those breeds are bred to have an inherent independent nature and something WILL happen and your dog WILL run off, it's an inevitability.

If it's possible, test your dog's recall in fenced areas while there are distractions (like squirrels). If your dog's recall stays spot on (as in, not a SINGLE mistake, ever) then get a long lead and test it again in a wide open area. If during any of this, your dog's recall wanes, then don't trust it without a lead. It's just not worth the risk!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Is there a Pet Island IRC channel?

Is it open to forum casuals like me?

If so, how does a non-irc savvy person access it?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

a life less posted:

Is there a Pet Island IRC channel?

#petisland

quote:

Is it open to forum casuals like me?

The regulars will act like jerks at first but yes

quote:

If so, how does a non-irc savvy person access it?

mIRC is the client I use, you can DL it here: https://www.mirc.com

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Got my own question: What can I do about tear stains? I clean Frankie's wrinkles once or twice a day with baby wipes but he still has gross, brown tear stains all the time. Is there anything I can do for it? Do anti-tear stain products work, or do they just bleach them out and cover them up?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

I think in the "middle of nowhere" instance, there are certain dogs that can be ok off leash. I think a lot of times people forget how many working dogs are in that same position that are fine with their recall. I think the majority of it has to do with the breed of dog and very dedicated training.

What sort of dog do you have? I'm surprised no one's asked this. Breeds bred to work off leash in the field are going to be the ones with the best recall naturally, and the ones that are going to be the best candidates for off-leash time. Sporting dogs like labs, goldens, and herding dogs are probably the best. If you have a primitive dog like a spitz, or a hound of any type, please keep your dog leashed no matter how much training you put into recall. Those breeds are bred to have an inherent independent nature and something WILL happen and your dog WILL run off, it's an inevitability.

If it's possible, test your dog's recall in fenced areas while there are distractions (like squirrels). If your dog's recall stays spot on (as in, not a SINGLE mistake, ever) then get a long lead and test it again in a wide open area. If during any of this, your dog's recall wanes, then don't trust it without a lead. It's just not worth the risk!

This is a really good point I didn't think much about. Sometimes I forget other peoples dog aren't as retarded as mine.

Caffeine Samurai
May 22, 2005
I am Caffeine's bitch
She is a mix between GSD and we don't know what. She got out of the backyard some how this morning and we found her chilling on the front porch. :sweatdrop:

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.
After reading the last page about buying Frontline on petco.com I went to check it out and I see that there is a section called 'wormers'. Are these the same kind of thing as the Heartgard that I get from my vet and give to my dogs every month? Or are they just used to treat dogs that already have worms, and I should keep buying the pills from my vet? And does everyone here use a worm preventative every month?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ThirstyGirl posted:

After reading the last page about buying Frontline on petco.com I went to check it out and I see that there is a section called 'wormers'. Are these the same kind of thing as the Heartgard that I get from my vet and give to my dogs every month? Or are they just used to treat dogs that already have worms, and I should keep buying the pills from my vet? And does everyone here use a worm preventative every month?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Heartworm prevention can only be purchased through a vet by prescription. The wormer section in a pet store is just for things that treat various kinds of intestinal worms, not heartworms.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Superconsndar posted:

Got my own question: What can I do about tear stains? I clean Frankie's wrinkles once or twice a day with baby wipes but he still has gross, brown tear stains all the time. Is there anything I can do for it? Do anti-tear stain products work, or do they just bleach them out and cover them up?

If your dog wasn't so shameful he wouldn't cry all the time. I think you know what this means.

Owning a dog with wrinkles you have to clean is so gross, seriously. :gonk:

ThirstyGirl posted:

And yeah what SC said, Heartgard is ivermectin. You can buy ivermectin over the counter at a feed store but you should not really try to dose it out yourself for your dog; you should just buy Heartgard from your vet. It isn't really THAT expensive!

Sekhmet fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 30, 2009

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Does that look okay for a spay that was done about 3.5 weeks ago?
She doesn't ever lick it, or seem to be acting weird or anything. I just thought it looked a bit off but I've never seen one, or even had a dog before.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

kryptonik posted:

Does that look okay for a spay that was done about 3.5 weeks ago?
She doesn't ever lick it, or seem to be acting weird or anything. I just thought it looked a bit off but I've never seen one, or even had a dog before.

That looks more red than I would expect. Has it looked like that since the surgery? Has it changed at all, either more or less red? Any discharge associated with the incision site?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

3.5 weeks ago? Why does it still have stiches? Do you mean 3.5 days?

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Ceridwen posted:

3.5 weeks ago? Why does it still have stiches? Do you mean 3.5 days?

This is what I'm wondering. Stitches usually need to be taken out in 7-10 days after surgery. If it still has stitches in, that could be why it looks so bad. You'll need to be running her by a vet if it's been 3.5 weeks.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Wow yeah, at almost a MONTH after the surgery it should not be that red and inflamed nor still have stitches. Go see the vet.

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh
The paperwork they gave me said the sutures would not be removed. I'll defintely be taking her to the vet this friday then.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

kryptonik posted:

The paperwork they gave me said the sutures would not be removed. I'll defintely be taking her to the vet this friday then.

Sometime they put in sutures that dissolve on their own, but I've seen at least one time where dissolvable sutures did not work the way they were supposed to.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

kryptonik posted:

Those don't really look like dissolvable stitches. You need to get her back to the vet ASAP and she may well need some follow up treatment (such as antibiotics) depending on the degree of inflammation.

If they put in non-dissolvable stitches and sent you home with paperwork saying they would dissolve I'd be trying to make sure the vet pays for any follow-up treatment necessary.

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Ceridwen posted:

If they put in non-dissolvable stitches and sent you home with paperwork saying they would dissolve I'd be trying to make sure the vet pays for any follow-up treatment necessary.

If this is the case, any advice on a professional way to go about this?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

kryptonik posted:

If this is the case, any advice on a professional way to go about this?

You pretty much just need to express how upset you are about the situation. If they hosed up they should be willing to make up for it. If they aren't you need to find another vet asap.

Was this a spay done at a shelter? Or with your normal vet?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

kryptonik posted:

I'm with Ceridwen, those don't look like dissolvable stitches. The dissolvable ones are usually on the inside then they glue the incision over them.

I'd be really upset to, let them know you followed their directions to the letter and that they were wrong therefore they are the reason that further treatment is needed so they should pay the cost of it. If it wasn't for their mistake, you wouldn't be in this situation.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

KilGrey posted:

I'm with Ceridwen, those don't look like dissolvable stitches. The dissolvable ones are usually on the inside then they glue the incision over them.

I'd be really upset to, let them know you followed their directions to the letter and that they were wrong therefore they are the reason that further treatment is needed so they should pay the cost of it. If it wasn't for their mistake, you wouldn't be in this situation.

Agreeing with these guys. And I would take her in today. Call them, explain the situation, and let them know you want them to look at her today and what time would be best to drop in.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Anyone know a good way to remove the glue that's stuck on my dog's fur from the bandages they used on her? She has this white stripe that pretty much goes around her midsection that is now picking up grass, hair, and whatever it can stick to it.

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

JayKay posted:

Anyone know a good way to remove the glue that's stuck on my dog's fur from the bandages they used on her? She has this white stripe that pretty much goes around her midsection that is now picking up grass, hair, and whatever it can stick to it.

Mineral oil.

kryptonik
May 10, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Got an update!
Took Daizie to the vet today(new vet, not the place she got spayed). They were infact disolvable stitches, which kind of sucks because it wasn't the fault of the place that put them in so it'll be coming out of my pocket. (:
For some reason, her body just wasn't disolving them. The doctor showed me one, and you could see where it started to disolve, but wasn't really going. She said it's rare, but not the first time she's seen it happen.
They gave me a steriodal cream to put on the area just to help the swelling and whatnot go down.
They said she healed up really well, and was only slightly inflamed, so all should be good in a few days.
Also had her anal glands emptied, and her whole body and whatnot checked out.
Came back 100% healthy otherwise.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. We got a happy dog now!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

kryptonik posted:

Got an update!
Took Daizie to the vet today(new vet, not the place she got spayed). They were infact disolvable stitches, which kind of sucks because it wasn't the fault of the place that put them in so it'll be coming out of my pocket. (:
For some reason, her body just wasn't disolving them. The doctor showed me one, and you could see where it started to disolve, but wasn't really going. She said it's rare, but not the first time she's seen it happen.
They gave me a steriodal cream to put on the area just to help the swelling and whatnot go down.
They said she healed up really well, and was only slightly inflamed, so all should be good in a few days.

Awesome! I've never seen the disolvable kind on the outside like that, glad it was a simple fix. Sorry you had to pay. If she ever needs surgery again remind the vet that this happened so they can maybe use something else.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Oh goodie. Now I get to be paranoid about the dissolveable stitches in my cats' mouth after dental work not dissolving.

But I'm glad to hear Daizie is OK.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if it's the same type of dissolvable stitches they give people, but I had some inside me that my body rejected and forced to the surface and out the incision. Scared the hell out of me. I had stitches on the inside and the outside and this happened after the outside stitches had come out, so I assumed they some how did a lovely job and left the stitches in, I threw a fit screaming how they couldn't even remove stitches right. I felt like an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuctTapeCat
Sep 25, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

kryptonik posted:

Got an update!

Thanks for the quick responses guys. We got a happy dog now!

Glad she is ok, that looked scary!!