Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
My 2 adult cats had a patch on their arms shaved a month ago for bloodwork. Maneki's has almost grown back completely, but Nyanko-chan's looks as if it was done yesterday.

Is fur not growing back a sign of anything that you guys know of? Or is it just one of those weird things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Hady posted:

It is. Talking about the customer's pets and "connecting" with stories of your own was on the very lame training video when I worked at Petsmart as a teenager.

Cheer up, When I worked at Victoria Secret Beauty they made us touch people, and we actually had a hand massage quota :(

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meow Cadet posted:

My 2 adult cats had a patch on their arms shaved a month ago for bloodwork. Maneki's has almost grown back completely, but Nyanko-chan's looks as if it was done yesterday.

Is fur not growing back a sign of anything that you guys know of? Or is it just one of those weird things.

This is purely anecdotal but my two cats had bloodwork done at the same time and the tuxedos leg fur grew back very quickly while my white cats didn't. They have very different textures to the fur. The Tuxedo has much softer fur. They were both fine though.

Peech
Apr 30, 2009

Meow Cadet posted:

My lecturer told us that fur goes through 'stages' of growth, where the cells are either actively dividing or going through a stage of inactivity. This differs from cat to cat, so growth may be uneven. Weird, isn't it? I wish I understood it better myself. Once I cut some of my cat's tailfur away and the cut edge stayed like that for months.

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

What would cause my cats (brothers) to suddenly start kneading blankets? I adopted them when they were 4 months old, and they never kneaded. Now at about ~15 months, though, they've suddenly started kneading any fleece blankets they can get their paws on :3

I was under the impression that it was something they did at a young age to stimulate milk production when nursing from their mothers, and it only really carried over if they were separated too young.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Scurvy posted:

What would cause my cats (brothers) to suddenly start kneading blankets? I adopted them when they were 4 months old, and they never kneaded. Now at about ~15 months, though, they've suddenly started kneading any fleece blankets they can get their paws on :3

I was under the impression that it was something they did at a young age to stimulate milk production when nursing from their mothers, and it only really carried over if they were separated too young.

Not to ask the obvious but, are fleece blankets new to them? Like, they've had other blankets around before but not fleece?

Seriously all four of my cats are kneaders, I have no idea what it's like to have a cat that isn't. It's super cute, though, to watch an 18 lb cat get all smushy-faced as he kneads a blanket or pillow. :3:

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Scurvy posted:

One of my cats obsessively kneads stuffed animals, and only stuffed animals. :3: I've had her since she was tiny, but she didn't start until she was around 9 months old. Cats are weird.

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

Fire In The Disco posted:

Not to ask the obvious but, are fleece blankets new to them? Like, they've had other blankets around before but not fleece?

Seriously all four of my cats are kneaders, I have no idea what it's like to have a cat that isn't. It's super cute, though, to watch an 18 lb cat get all smushy-faced as he kneads a blanket or pillow. :3:

Nope, those blankets have been around since the day I brought them home.

I'm just going to chalk it up to normal kitty weirdness! They're so cute and happy when they do it, and often I'll come back later and find they've made little blanket nests/forts for themselves to nap in.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Does anyone use their car kind of like a crate? I think it'd be nice to have the dog along while running errands, or making one run into town to go to the gym and the dog park, so nothing longer than a couple of hours in the car unsupervised.

Obviously it's highly temperature dependent - does the sanity check of 'would I nap in the car for an hour in this weather' hold up?

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Engineer Lenk posted:

Does anyone use their car kind of like a crate? I think it'd be nice to have the dog along while running errands, or making one run into town to go to the gym and the dog park, so nothing longer than a couple of hours in the car unsupervised.

Obviously it's highly temperature dependent - does the sanity check of 'would I nap in the car for an hour in this weather' hold up?

I've been using my car as a crate all afternoon since we have to be out of the house for some unrelated BS. The weather is awesome today, so it works out, but like you say, its highly temperature dependent. My dogs seem to love coming along to run errands, especially if there's a fast food drive thru on the agenda. However, I'm always worried that some well-meaning person is going to call the cops, or bust out my windows to "rescue" my dogs. Nothing I can do about that, but use common sense and hope that other people do too.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Sometimes my (fixed) male cat kneads blankets then humps them. :geno:

Kneading was no longer cute after that.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
why is my cat insane?

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

because you touch yourself at night

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

Sometimes my (fixed) male cat kneads blankets then humps them. :geno:

Kneading was no longer cute after that.

My Beagle does this too. He "kills" it, then humps it, then kneads it. It seems like he does it as a soothing mechanism sometimes. Certain textures seem to trigger that impulse, so we usually end up buying certain toys and blankets to be his "girlfriend." Currently, he's dating a destuffed, headless teddy bear that I won from Dave & Busters.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I just took in a tiny skin and bones kitten from the freezing outdoors (I live in the north). It's young, but off of it's mother's milk (wherever she is, probably dead) because it is literally nothing more than a tiny fuzzy walking skeleton. It LOVES being inside, spends a great deal of time curled up on my bed tucked in beside me, and right now as I type this it's sleeping on my lap. It won't eat, or drink water.
Besides, I don't really know what to feed it (I bought some soft canned food), especially since it seems like it's on the brink of starvation.
I've never had a tiny kitten before, what should I do?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cosima posted:

I just took in a tiny skin and bones kitten from the freezing outdoors (I live in the north). It's young, but off of it's mother's milk (wherever she is, probably dead) because it is literally nothing more than a tiny fuzzy walking skeleton. It LOVES being inside, spends a great deal of time curled up on my bed tucked in beside me, and right now as I type this it's sleeping on my lap. It won't eat, or drink water.
Besides, I don't really know what to feed it (I bought some soft canned food), especially since it seems like it's on the brink of starvation.
I've never had a tiny kitten before, what should I do?

get a syringe and some kitten formula from a petstore and feed it that way

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
KMR and a syringe are good ideas, also, try warming up the canned food to make it extra stinky. Sometimes that stimulates the appetite. But you do need to get food in the little one soon, so if warming the food doesn't work, you need to get the KMR and syringe.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Ok, I thought that as well, thanks!
There isn't a lot of pet stores in this city, but I will wander around downtown today and pick some KMR up. Do they sell it in the pet section of major grocery stores, or is it a pet store only thing?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Sometimes you can find KMR in grocery stores, but usually just pet stores. I doubt you'll find a feeding syringe in a grocery store.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Ok, there was a grooming store down my street that actually sold KRM, and a pharmacy close by where I got a syringe. I just fed the little guy and he's loving it. Thanks for the advice!

Successful Otaku
Feb 15, 2009

How does one go about rescuing a cat? There's a seemingly stray kitten around the neighborhood that's taken a liking to our house, but he looks like he got messed up pretty bad in a fight with another cat or something. He has a huge blood clot or something in his ear and one of his eyes is messed up. There's no public service for cats around here, and most shelters I can find are either full and won't take more cats, won't take stray cats, or need appointments days in advance.

Any suggestions? I put our old dog cage outside on the porch and threw in an old towel and some food for him, and he takes pretty well to it, but I can't keep doing this, especially since his ear is bleeding all over the porch. I'd rather take him to a shelter to get him fixed up and put up for adoption.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I've got a quick question about digging behavior in dogs.

My pup (14-15 months old) occasionally digs at the carpet in certain areas of my living room. These are areas he likes to sleep and he usually only does it later at night, so I assume that he's trying to nest when he does this. He hasn't done any damage to the carpet; it's just annoying and he sometimes works himself into a frenzy. I've tried giving him blankets and things to paw at instead, but he just likes to tear those apart.

How can I discourage this?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
We have been slacking on giving my dog her flea medicine. I was trying to wait until the 1st so we could get on a good, easy to remember schedule but she chewed her backside last night. There was some blood but only when I put the napkin directly on the spot (it wasn't dripping or anything crazy like that)

Is it safe to put the Frontline on her tomorrow or should I wait a few days until I am positive that she is healed up?

I can't find the packaging or any info on their website and my vet is closed today.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Animal introduction question.

The greyhound rescue recommended we bring a blanket or something soft for the dog to lie on for the car ride home. I was wondering if it might be a good idea to bring one of Charlie's blankets - he has several polar fleece blankets scattered around the house in spots that get a lot of sun, and they're well-coated in cat hair and, presumably, Charlie smell. That way the dog gets to smell Charlie, and some of Charlie's smell will rub off on the dog.

I'm not envisioning a lot of issues with this, given our past experience with controlled introductions, but I was wondering if that might be something that could ease things along.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Hey everyone, I have a kitten a little over 3 months old, Loki. Just yesterday we were petting him and we felt a ball above is rear right leg. It wasn't rock hard and he didn't cry out when it was touched. He has an appointment for Saturday to get it looked at, but in your experience can this by cancer? Or is it usually something not as serious?

I just hope he's ok. Like I said we have the vet on Saturday.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
My cats have had pea-sized lumps under their skin that have been diagnosed as simple sebaceous cysts, which are benign. How big was the ball? There's a whole host of things it could be, but it's worthwhile getting it checked out by a vet (as you are) and not worrying too much until then. I certainly wouldn't say that it's likely to be cancer.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

bee soup posted:

My cats have had pea-sized lumps under their skin that have been diagnosed as simple sebaceous cysts, which are benign. How big was the ball? There's a whole host of things it could be, but it's worthwhile getting it checked out by a vet (as you are) and not worrying too much until then. I certainly wouldn't say that it's likely to be cancer.

Not much bigger than pea-size but it's definitely round and semi-squishy but a little firm. Again he doesn't cry out when it's touched. If you've ever had bubble tea, it's about the size of a tapioca ball. I guess a chick pea would be a good comparison. Everyone's saying it's probably not cancer but could it be anything serious even though it isn't cancer?

Hiro Nakamura
Apr 28, 2009

When destiny calls, you answer the phone!
From the day that we brought him home until just recently (so about a month now), my dog has received all his kibble as treats during clicker training.

As he's grown, so has the serving size. I switched to feeding him throughout the day with a food bowl while reserving some for training.

The problem is every time he gets a meal in his food bowl he eats it too fast and ends up throwing it up. One time he actually threw up and ate his vomit too fast and threw up again. Any thing I can do to slow him down? I don't even put a lot in the bowl, just enough to cover the bottom.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Hiro Nakamura posted:

From the day that we brought him home until just recently (so about a month now), my dog has received all his kibble as treats during clicker training.

As he's grown, so has the serving size. I switched to feeding him throughout the day with a food bowl while reserving some for training.

The problem is every time he gets a meal in his food bowl he eats it too fast and ends up throwing it up. One time he actually threw up and ate his vomit too fast and threw up again. Any thing I can do to slow him down? I don't even put a lot in the bowl, just enough to cover the bottom.

Feed him from interactive toys. I like the big blue Everlasting Treat Ball and the Everlasting Fun Ball, both made by Starmark. Both have turned out to be very durable. The Tug-a-Jug is also a new favorite at my house - http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Busy-Buddy-Medium-Large/dp/B000KV7ZGQ/ Not recommended if your dog is likely to chew directly through the rope in an effort to get the treats out faster. Its kinda hard to fault my dog for doing exactly that, especially since it worked. :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Crossposting from the stupid/small question thread in a/t:

I hope to be in a new apartment by New Year's. Once I'm all settled, I want to adopt a pair of cats.

I want to adopt a full-grown cat, but I also know I am basically a pushover for kittens.

My question: is it safe to adopt a full grown cat and a kitten? Will this cause any complications? I'm sure the people at the shelter will know which cats would be safest to pair, but I want to know if it's better for them socially to have another animal their age, or if age matters at all. If it's better for the cat, I can steel myself against kittens (I think)

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Hiro Nakamura posted:

There are several different bowls that are designed to help slow dogs down. Like these below. I'm sure there are other brands too.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product....ELAID=370104382

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211491694&listingid=49387266

http://www.superhappypets.com/brake_fast_anti-bloat_bowl.html

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

Crossposting from the stupid/small question thread in a/t:

I hope to be in a new apartment by New Year's. Once I'm all settled, I want to adopt a pair of cats.

I want to adopt a full-grown cat, but I also know I am basically a pushover for kittens.

My question: is it safe to adopt a full grown cat and a kitten? Will this cause any complications? I'm sure the people at the shelter will know which cats would be safest to pair, but I want to know if it's better for them socially to have another animal their age, or if age matters at all. If it's better for the cat, I can steel myself against kittens (I think)

The big issue with a full grown cat and a kitten is interaction levels. The kitten will need a lot more than the adult will, and so it's possible that they both will end up frustrated. The adult might hate that he can't get any peace, and the kitten needs the extra stimulation and so will be an extra rear end in a top hat. You're best off getting two adults (a bonded pair) or two kitten. It's possible that you might be able to find an adult with a very high play drive, but it's less likely.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

RazorBunny posted:

Animal introduction question.

The greyhound rescue recommended we bring a blanket or something soft for the dog to lie on for the car ride home. I was wondering if it might be a good idea to bring one of Charlie's blankets - he has several polar fleece blankets scattered around the house in spots that get a lot of sun, and they're well-coated in cat hair and, presumably, Charlie smell. That way the dog gets to smell Charlie, and some of Charlie's smell will rub off on the dog.

I'm not envisioning a lot of issues with this, given our past experience with controlled introductions, but I was wondering if that might be something that could ease things along.

I don't see how this would hurt anything; if anything I think it would help.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
My cat has recently started harassing me at night. He gets all up in my face meowing and purring and getting his ticklish whiskers and cold nose on my face, making it impossible for me to sleep. I make sure to hang out with him and try to tire him out about 45 minutes before bedtime, but he persists. I've been blowing quick puffs of air at his face to try to deter him from doing it, but he'll just back up and then come back a moment later, no matter how often I do that.

Is this a case of 'all attention is good attention'? Should I just try to totally ignore him, rather than puff air at him? Or is there something else I can do? My bedroom doesn't have a door, so I can't keep him out, and I rather like cuddling up with him once he stops being a buttface and settles in for the night.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The recent time change might have thrown him off a bit, the trying to tire him out is a great strategy and I would keep that up. If possible maybe add more 15 minute sessions through out the day if you have time. Of course you can always add another kitty to tire your booger out :) Is it possibly food, litter, or health related? In my experience completely ignoring the kitty gets better results cause he knows he's waking you up and that's what he wants.

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 6, 2009

PumpkinPirate
Sep 2, 2006

I steal pickles for booty...arrrr!!!

bee soup posted:

My cat has recently started harassing me at night. He gets all up in my face meowing and purring and getting his ticklish whiskers and cold nose on my face, making it impossible for me to sleep. I make sure to hang out with him and try to tire him out about 45 minutes before bedtime, but he persists. I've been blowing quick puffs of air at his face to try to deter him from doing it, but he'll just back up and then come back a moment later, no matter how often I do that.

Is this a case of 'all attention is good attention'? Should I just try to totally ignore him, rather than puff air at him? Or is there something else I can do? My bedroom doesn't have a door, so I can't keep him out, and I rather like cuddling up with him once he stops being a buttface and settles in for the night.

My cat used to sleep with his paw in or on my mouth. I just got used to it. My other cat massages me and puts her cold nose on mine too. Again I just ignore it. Do you have a lot of toys for the cat to play with at night? A cat tower maybe with dangling things?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My gf's cat has overnight gotten something on his nose.

Not a great picture, but it looks something like kitty litter. But even with a pretty vigorous brushing, it seems to be stuck on. Could it be a skin growth of some sort? Maybe just very dried on mucus?

e: he doesn't seem sensitive to it when rubbed on his nose.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 8, 2009

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009

ChairmanMeow posted:

The recent time change might have thrown him off a bit, the trying to tire him out is a great strategy and I would keep that up. If possible maybe add more 15 minute sessions through out the day if you have time.
I will do this. He's always been a very laze around type of cat, and I think I tend to just indulge this with belly rubs instead of inciting him to play.

ChairmanMeow posted:

Of course you can always add another kitty to tire your booger out :)
This is something I'm considering. He's an anxious old man, though, so I've been hesitant. (I'm a little in love with this cat I met a few months ago. I have no clue how she's still up for adoption, because she's so sweet. I guess it's because she's old.)

ChairmanMeow posted:

Is it possibly food, litter, or health related?
Food and litter haven't changed. He's so goddamn pleased when he comes over to purr in my face and lick my eyebrows at night that I don't suspect it would be health-related. I mean, I suppose any change in behaviour is significant, but I'm not sure that this warrants a vet visit all its own. If further attempts at exhausting him don't work, I'll certainly bring it up to my vet.

ChairmanMeow posted:

In my experience completely ignoring the kitty gets better results cause he knows he's waking you up and that's what he wants.
I think I'll up the activity during the day and totally ignore at night, and see how that goes after a week or two. Thanks, man.

PumpkinPirate posted:

My cat used to sleep with his paw in or on my mouth. I just got used to it. My other cat massages me and puts her cold nose on mine too. Again I just ignore it. Do you have a lot of toys for the cat to play with at night? A cat tower maybe with dangling things?
But cat feet bury cat poos! :cry: (Okay, I put my cat's ear in my mouth all the time. I'm gross, too. :ssh:) He has a cat tree with dangly yarn balls, but he's not really interested in any toys that that he can play with by himself, he only seems to like toys that require interaction with a person.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

This is by far the most ridiculous/paranoid question I think I've ever asked. Maverick has been drinking A TON of water lately and shes due for a heartworm test in the next few weeks so I was going to ask the vet,but I'm wondering if there is anything that could be wrong that is more pressing.She's drinking about 3 or 4 bowls plus going through a 5 gallon auto waterer in about a week, other than that she seems completely normal. I have been a bit busier than usual so she has been in her crate for about 7-8 hours a day as opposed to the old 3-4 but other than that nothing has really changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I would be concerned about possible diabetes, if your cat is really drinking that much. Is your cat fat? Can you push up your vet appointment?

Wait, is it a cat, or a dog? Do dogs get diabetes? I'm not sure.

Meow Cadet fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 8, 2009