Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Noby Goatse Boy posted:

Ha ha my cat was sticking his tongue out when I was rubbing his belly today what does that mean. Also he always jumps in my chair when I get up do cats like butt heat??

The answers to your questions are #1 Cats are weird and #2 Yes, cats like all heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

bee soup posted:

I am somewhat skeptical of the food you're feeding him if it's a 'specialty hedgehog' food, though.
Also are there pictures of him anywhere in PI? Little known fact: hedgehogs are closely related to kittens. You don't want to risk explosion :colbert:

He does have a wheel but it's a 12' one and he's kind of scared by it right now because of how small he is. I let him out every night for at least 3 hours and over the 2 weeks that I've had him he's gotten much more active.

The food that I'm feeding him has the following nutrients and vitamins:
Protein (minimum): 37%
Fat (min): 7%
Fiber (max): 12%
Moisture (max): 12%
Calcium (min): 1.45, (max) 1.95%
Phosphorus(min): 1.3%
Vit A (min): 10,000 IU/lb
Ascorbic Acid (vitamin c, Min): 100mg/lb

I don't know how cat food would compare, but as far as the protein and fat it seems really, really good. It's made from fish, shrimp, crab meal and dried meal worms. I also give him ~2 mealworms per night.

e: also, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3171820&pagenumber=10#post373258683 He doesn't like taking pictures.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Someone please tell me this site is a joke http://www.doganswers.com/collars.htm
I don't really have a question about it ,but I know how PI loves crazy people. So, there ya go.

Edit:
My personal favorite quote so far:

Crazy Dog Trainer posted:

Usually the worse the dog trainer the more they use Gentle Leaders, Haltis and. . .

CLICKERS

DenialTwist fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 7, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
One of the Huskies that's in a lot of their pictures (maybe it's the same one in all, I'm not sure) looks really overweight. Poor guy :(

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

It's for real. Also, if you go check the guy out on the BBB site he's got a number of pissed off customers. Or at least did a while back when I was trying to talk someone out of using him as a trainer (thankfully I succeeded).

uptown
May 16, 2009
What's wrong with my cat's face? He gets these red bumps that basically look like pimples. Is this something I should take him to the vet over?

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

And a cuter photo...

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Uptown, he might actually have cat acne. Do you feed him out of plastic bowls? Sometimes plastic can irritate cats' skin. Get metal or ceramic ones instead. That doesn't look exactly like what my cat had when he used to get acne, but it's one thing you can try. Maybe someone else will weigh in who's seen a similar kind of bump.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
We had a babby last week. Help me introduce the dog babies to the human babby.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276316

Aeglowyn
Oct 6, 2005
Chief Fearsome Pirate Goon (Thankyou Zegnar)
My dog killed a shrew this morning and brought it to me as a present. Is there anything she could have caught from it that I should look out for in terms of parasites, etc? We're in Northern Europe if that makes a difference.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I went to a cat shelter today (a huge one, they have almost 900 cats. The website says it's the largest in North America!). It was pretty cool and well maintained given how large it is and that they run mostly on donations. They let the public come and hang out on Sundays and give the cats treats, etc. Afterwards it occurred to me (because I'm a paranoid freak) to worry about possibly picking something up on my hands or clothes that I would pass on to my cat at home. I used hand sanitizer after leaving the shelter and washed my hands when I got home. It seemed like they keep the really sick cats separate from the others, and all I did was pet a couple of cats who didn't seem to have anything really obvious wrong with them. Should I be worried about my cat catching something, or getting fleas, etc, or been more careful somehow? Would it be alright for me to visit regularly?

Also, as an aside, it really sucks how many people abandon/mistreat cats.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

nemesis_hub posted:

I went to a cat shelter today (a huge one, they have almost 900 cats. The website says it's the largest in North America!). It was pretty cool and well maintained given how large it is and that they run mostly on donations. They let the public come and hang out on Sundays and give the cats treats, etc. Afterwards it occurred to me (because I'm a paranoid freak) to worry about possibly picking something up on my hands or clothes that I would pass on to my cat at home. I used hand sanitizer after leaving the shelter and washed my hands when I got home. It seemed like they keep the really sick cats separate from the others, and all I did was pet a couple of cats who didn't seem to have anything really obvious wrong with them. Should I be worried about my cat catching something, or getting fleas, etc, or been more careful somehow? Would it be alright for me to visit regularly?

Also, as an aside, it really sucks how many people abandon/mistreat cats.

I imagine they keep them flea-free, but it's a good idea to wash your hands and maybe change your shirt (if you've been with sick kitties at least) before you talk to your own cat again. These are more guidelines for if you hang out with a stray, but you might as well take a small precaution and save your cat some of the stress of smelling other cats, too.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
If you do end up regularly visiting the mega cat shelter, it sounds anal, but you really should wash/sanitize your hands between petting each cat there. I've have too many shelter workers tell me how awful they felt when they accidentally got ALL the cats sick, just by giving each one a little pet at feeding/cleaning time without washing hands between each one.

FogOgg
Aug 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
My dog has lost his wag. He's a 3.5 year old mutt who, every day of his life until Sunday has held his tail high and proudly curved upward. Now it droops limply behind him. He doesn't act any different than he ever has and doesn't seem to be especially inconvenienced by it, except when he tries wagging. He has always had a whip tail that wagged uncontrollably. Now anytime I do something to get him excited I will get three or four weak wags followed by his tail drooping sadly again, despite the rest of his face and body language still showing just how excited he is.

I think I may have accidentally sprained it or something? I was playing with him Saturday night and curled his tail around in its natural loop just as he pulled away. It slipped through my hand and curled a little tighter than usual which prompted a whine from him. I let go completely as soon as I heard him whine and he seemed otherwise unaffected the rest of the night.

The next day I noticed all but the first 2-3 inches hanging limp behind him. I touched it and he whined again, but didn't pull away or act otherwise hurt.

Seeing as he doesn't seem affected by it should I get him to a vet ASAP or give it a few days to see if it recovers?

Pics:

Before - He held his tail like so 24 hours a day:

After - Now he looks sad in the middle of kicking the poo poo out of his favorite stuffed goose. Two days ago this picture would have had a motion blur representing his tail:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
It's almost always better to go to the vet sooner than later. Sounds like it might be broken. At the very least, call your vet and ask if they think it could wait a few days.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My dog (justifiably) doesn't like his pinchy prong collar. He pulls a LOT if we don't use it (I trained him with it, stopped using it, he started pulling badly again, so we started using it again maybe a year ago, and have used it continually since.)

Thing is, he tolerates (with obvious distaste) my husband putting it on him to go out. He runs away and hides from me and tries to stop me. I used to call him with a treat and he would at least come sit near by or come near so I could get it on him. Now I can't get him near with treats, AND he sits down with all his weight when I get it on him AND he tries to pull away so I can't take him outside.

It's still sort of cold out so I thought that might be it but honestly, he'll walk up to me, give me his signal that he wants to go out, then when I get the prong collar he'll dash in the other direction, if I catch him then he'll try to get away and sit down and prevent me from taking him out.

I'm maybe overthinking things but I'm so concerned I'm doing something wrong. He's a pit bull if that matters at all, and I know they're weirdly sensitive about somethings so I'm concerned I inadvertently upset him in some way. He's always liked my husband more, also. Food is not a big motivator really... so stinky food/liver/cheese isn't going to help I don't think.

What can I do though? Is a harness better for a dog like this? How can I get him to enjoy going out with me and not freak about it anymore? What did I do wrong?

This isn't really a new issue but I'm asking for help here now because its getting progressively worse nowadays...

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Meow Cadet posted:

It's almost always better to go to the vet sooner than later. Sounds like it might be broken. At the very least, call your vet and ask if they think it could wait a few days.

Yeah, I was going to suggest this too. My cat fractured his tail a couple years ago, and was behaving similarly--tail was hanging limp, when it was usually straight up. Unfortunately, there wasn't much they could do besides prescribe pain meds, but I think it was good to have the vet look at it.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

My dog (justifiably) doesn't like his pinchy prong collar. He pulls a LOT if we don't use it (I trained him with it, stopped using it, he started pulling badly again, so we started using it again maybe a year ago, and have used it continually since.)

Thing is, he tolerates (with obvious distaste) my husband putting it on him to go out. He runs away and hides from me and tries to stop me. I used to call him with a treat and he would at least come sit near by or come near so I could get it on him. Now I can't get him near with treats, AND he sits down with all his weight when I get it on him AND he tries to pull away so I can't take him outside.

It's still sort of cold out so I thought that might be it but honestly, he'll walk up to me, give me his signal that he wants to go out, then when I get the prong collar he'll dash in the other direction, if I catch him then he'll try to get away and sit down and prevent me from taking him out.

I'm maybe overthinking things but I'm so concerned I'm doing something wrong. He's a pit bull if that matters at all, and I know they're weirdly sensitive about somethings so I'm concerned I inadvertently upset him in some way. He's always liked my husband more, also. Food is not a big motivator really... so stinky food/liver/cheese isn't going to help I don't think.

What can I do though? Is a harness better for a dog like this? How can I get him to enjoy going out with me and not freak about it anymore? What did I do wrong?

This isn't really a new issue but I'm asking for help here now because its getting progressively worse nowadays...

I would try out a front clip harness like the Easy Walk (easiest to locate, they have them at Target, Petsmart, etc) or Sensation harness.

I'd also suggest you need to be working a lot more on loose-leash walking and heel. If he's pulling like a freight train enough to become averse to the collar then you aren't doing the whole walking thing right. You need to go back to basics training him, and it might be better on the whole if you dropped the training tool altogether and toughed it out with a regular flat collar. It will make you less likely to "cheat" and rely on the collar instead of training to prevent him from pulling.

I've got two dogs who adore pulling on the lead. One is my dog and I've made significant progress by refusing to rely on the tools to stop her from pulling. She's not perfect but I do see a light at the end of the tunnel and if I worked with her more regularly we would probably be done with the leash training by now. The other dog is my boyfriends and he just relies on the pinch collar and not actual training and nothing has changed in the two years I've known the dog. He has pulled me over and injured me on multiple occasions without the pinch collar on, and even managed it once WITH the pinch collar on. But the BF refuses to train him or less me train him, so the problem continues.

Honestly, the more I've worked on leash training, the more I'm convinced that pinch collars are inappropriate as a training tool for the vast majority of situations (the same for choke chains, gentle leaders, etc.). You just end up using it as a crutch and not addressing the real issue. No matter how good your intentions to not do so.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

EDIT: Nevermind... apparently he's decided he'll walk fine and not pull on a normal collar anymore. I'm going to use that or get a harness and only suppliment with the pinchy collar if he decides to forget how to walk without pulling again.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 9, 2010

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

hallo spacedog posted:

EDIT: Nevermind... apparently he's decided he'll walk fine and not pull on a normal collar anymore. I'm going to use that or get a harness and only suppliment with the pinchy collar if he decides to forget how to walk without pulling again.

We had a similar experience with my greyhound. When he first came to us, he had picture-perfect leash manners. Then he started pulling, and since he's 70+ lbs and strong as an ox, that was untenable for me. So we picked up a harness, on the advice of the rescue group.

After using the harness for a couple of weeks with mixed results, it got super cold and we had to use his coat, which meant clipping the leash to his martingale collar (the coat covers the leash loop on the harness). He hasn't pulled on a walk since then. He still occasionally leans into the leash when he sees something interesting like a squirrel, but it's nothing like the dragging-my-arm-out-of-the-socket pulling from before.

Seems weird that they have responses like that, doesn't it? But dogs are pretty weird I guess :D

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
So it looks like my dog might be allergic to basically every food we give the dogs.

What's a good dog food that doesn't have chicken or corn in it? I am basically stupid when it comes to dog nutrition. :(

He is a beagle and when he isn't red and smelly I will post a lot of pictures :3:!

e: The main thing is price, unfortunately. I can't afford whatever fancy diet food the vet offered.

Karma Guard fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 10, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2113296

As a warning though, good dog food is expensive.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

FogOgg posted:

Dog Tail Problems

What you are describing sounds and looks a lot like something that is referred to as cold tail. It is a condition that most frequently affects hunting dogs. Although your dog doesn't appear to belong to that category, I'm sure it could happen to any dog with a long active tale. It doesn't necessarily come from cold water or weather, it can also be caused by a dog's extremely active tail.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

RazorBunny posted:

After using the harness for a couple of weeks with mixed results, it got super cold and we had to use his coat, which meant clipping the leash to his martingale collar (the coat covers the leash loop on the harness). He hasn't pulled on a walk since then. He still occasionally leans into the leash when he sees something interesting like a squirrel, but it's nothing like the dragging-my-arm-out-of-the-socket pulling from before.

I guess I'm going to have to try a harness because I'm sick of him running away from me when I try to put a pinch collar on, but even though he was good when I first took him out on the regular collar today, he soon decided to go back to pulling like crazy and almost choked himself so... yeah. :smith:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

hallo spacedog posted:

I guess I'm going to have to try a harness because I'm sick of him running away from me when I try to put a pinch collar on, but even though he was good when I first took him out on the regular collar today, he soon decided to go back to pulling like crazy and almost choked himself so... yeah. :smith:

My sister had good luck with one of those ones that cuts very low across the front, just above the tops of the legs instead of across the main part of the chest. The one we got for our guy is just your average run-of-the-mill harness, and the strap that connects the front and back loops is a little on the short side for a grey. Definitely make sure you get a harness that fits properly.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Karma Guard posted:

So it looks like my dog might be allergic to basically every food we give the dogs.

What's a good dog food that doesn't have chicken or corn in it? I am basically stupid when it comes to dog nutrition. :(

He is a beagle and when he isn't red and smelly I will post a lot of pictures :3:!

e: The main thing is price, unfortunately. I can't afford whatever fancy diet food the vet offered.

Unfortunately, many of these foods might be pricey. You could check the Natural Balance LID (limited ingredient diet). They sell it at Petco and have several different options like Sweet Potato and Bison, Sweet Potato and Venison, Sweet Potato and Fish, etc. Here is a link to their website so you can check out some of the ingredients yourself:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/allergy.html

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

What's the best way to deal with a new neighbor whose Great Dane has become my very much unwanted alarm clock?

From what I can observe the dog is left outside most of the day in a small fenced area, where it barks at anything that moves. I think they might take it inside at night, but I've been awakened by it late at night so I'm not sure. They get up and let it out a few hours before I'd like to be awake, and it stands outside and barks at anything that moves, which is a lot of things.

My husband and I work hard and we would rather not be up and around at 7AM on a Saturday morning, but now we have no choice.

I want to be sensitive to the dog's needs and give the pet owner every chance to make a healthy change, but what is the best way to contact the owner and broach the issue?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Karma Guard posted:

Solid Gold makes a few non-corn, non-poultry foods that are sold at Petco and ironically aren't super-expensive. I feed 'Just a Wee Bit' because I have a tiny dog, but if your beagle prefers bigger kibble something like Lamb Hund-n-Flocken or Barking at the Moon if you want to go grain-free altogether.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Karma Guard posted:

Natural Balance and Wellness make quality limited ingredient diets like Green Pea and Venison, Duck and Sweet Potato, etc.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

hallo spacedog posted:

I was under the impression that pinch collars were a temporary training tool, and aren't to be relied on in the long term. It kind of sounds like you were relying too heavily on it and not really replacing the unwanted behaviour (pulling) with the desired behaviour. It sounds like you're a good candidate for a no-pull harness.

I know you said that your dog is not food motivated, so R+ / clicker training might not work, but I've heard that if your dog is not food motivated you're either not using tasty enough treats, or your dog's not hungry enough. I see no problem in feeding your dog entire meals while clicker training. Look up some R+ tactics to teach both loose leash walking and heeling and maybe go from there.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
So I am adopting this puppy http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15857448 on Saturday and had a few simple question I do not think deserve their own thread.

How much bigger than the dog should the crate be?

Also, a few tips for how to go about introducing him to my 3 cats? Should I keep them separated at first and put stuff with my wife and I scent and the cats scent in his crate so he gets used to it?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Karma Guard posted:

First off -- where do you live? In Westchester, NY there is the nicest pet store I've ever been in called Pet Goods. They have a return policy where you can actually RETURN food if your dog doesn't like it. If you're in the area definitely check it out!

My dog is really picky so I've gotten into the habit of checking all the ingredients. Off the top of my head, here's some dry food that does not contain chicken or corn:

Earthborn Ocean Fusion
Ingredients: http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/ocean_fusion/ingredients.php
My local store carries 1 pound sample bags for $2.99. If you can't find it, I'll ship you a bag. :)

EVO Red Meat Formula:
Ingredients: http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1490
6.6 pound bag on sale for $18 here: http://www.amazon.com/Innova-EVO-Meat-Small-Bite/dp/B000GTJQN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268241060&sr=8-1
and on sale for $17 here: http://www.onlinepetdepot.com/innova-meat-formula-small-bites-food-p-7100.html

Merrick Campfire Trout Feast
(My dog LOVES Merrick food!)
Ingredients: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=14&s=20300
$9.99 for 5.5 pounds here: http://white-dog-bone.amazonwebstore.com/Merrick-Campfire-Trout-Dry-Dog-Food/M/B001033RF6.htm

Merrick Wilderness Blend
Ingredients: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=14&s=20278
$12 for 5.5 pounds here: http://white-dog-bone.amazonwebstore.com/Merrick-Wilderness-Blend-Dry-Dog-Food/M/B0009F5RXQ.htm

I'll update this list when I find some more... Good luck with your sensitive poochie. :)

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!
My husband made me so proud yesterday. He and our dog were at the dog park, romping around per usual. A woman and her terrier mix pup that we used to see regularly stopped going over the winter, but was there yesterday. My husband was talking with her when her puppy start humping another dog. She quickly 'alpha rolled' him and my husband couldn't just stand there. So as nicely as he could, he explained to her that alpha rolling was really not going to help out her puppy, Cesar Milan was not someone to ever take training advice from, and he told her she should look into positive reinforcement type training :3: Well, she was really interested in what he had to say, seeing as apparently her puppy has started to bite her when she is trying to correct him. She really would like some book recommendations so she can start looking into it. I really love Patricia McConnell's books 'The Other End of the Leash' and 'For the Love of a Dog' (though not training books) and I was thinking of suggesting reading anything by Karen Pryor. If anyone has any other good recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

RurouNNy posted:

My husband made me so proud yesterday. He and our dog were at the dog park, romping around per usual. A woman and her terrier mix pup that we used to see regularly stopped going over the winter, but was there yesterday. My husband was talking with her when her puppy start humping another dog. She quickly 'alpha rolled' him and my husband couldn't just stand there. So as nicely as he could, he explained to her that alpha rolling was really not going to help out her puppy, Cesar Milan was not someone to ever take training advice from, and he told her she should look into positive reinforcement type training :3: Well, she was really interested in what he had to say, seeing as apparently her puppy has started to bite her when she is trying to correct him. She really would like some book recommendations so she can start looking into it. I really love Patricia McConnell's books 'The Other End of the Leash' and 'For the Love of a Dog' (though not training books) and I was thinking of suggesting reading anything by Karen Pryor. If anyone has any other good recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller is excellent.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So me and my fiancee got a dog a few months back, well a puppy actually, and for the last week or so it won't eat. If it does eat, it just throws it back up. I was wondering if it is dying or something. I don't know, its my first pet. It won't touch dog food at all but readily scarfs down on human food, but the vomiting happens no matter what it eats.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Untrustable posted:

So me and my fiancee got a dog a few months back, well a puppy actually, and for the last week or so it won't eat. If it does eat, it just throws it back up. I was wondering if it is dying or something. I don't know, its my first pet. It won't touch dog food at all but readily scarfs down on human food, but the vomiting happens no matter what it eats.

Good lord bring your dog to the vet like now.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Untrustable posted:

Your dog is very ill. Go the vet NOW.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

MoCookies posted:

Your dog is very ill. Go the vet NOW.

So I called the emergency vet line and I can't take the dog there until tomorrow morning...In the meantime the dog snapped out of being lethargic and ate a half a can of food. She hasn't thrown up and right now shes sleeping on the couch next to me, nevertheless she will be seeing the vet tomorrow.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Scrotos posted:

So I am adopting this puppy http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15857448 on Saturday and had a few simple question I do not think deserve their own thread.

How much bigger than the dog should the crate be?

Well, he's already an adult so you don't need to worry about him outgrowing the crate. The crate shouldn't be very much bigger than the dog, just enough that he can stand upright, and that is just a tad longer than he is. If you get that part of the fit right, it will automatically be wide enough.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

What's the best way to deal with a new neighbor whose Great Dane has become my very much unwanted alarm clock?

From what I can observe the dog is left outside most of the day in a small fenced area, where it barks at anything that moves. I think they might take it inside at night, but I've been awakened by it late at night so I'm not sure. They get up and let it out a few hours before I'd like to be awake, and it stands outside and barks at anything that moves, which is a lot of things.

My husband and I work hard and we would rather not be up and around at 7AM on a Saturday morning, but now we have no choice.

I want to be sensitive to the dog's needs and give the pet owner every chance to make a healthy change, but what is the best way to contact the owner and broach the issue?

Earplugs.

You can talk to the owners, and request that they keep their dog inside later on the weekends, but they have no obligation to do so. The dog might be driving them crazy inside, so maybe they just let it out so they can go back to sleep, so then it drives you crazy.

I have a vague idea that there are ordinances about noisy dogs, and you might want to check that out for your area, but if you go that route, be prepared. People tend to not like being threatened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
My hedgehog is quilling and doesn't seem more grumpy than usual about it. I recently switched him from a water bottle to a water dish, which he seems to prefer. Now though, he's hardly drinking any water at all. I keep both the bottle and the dish accessible to him just in case he doesn't want the dish, but he hasn't been using the bottle at all and when I check his dish he's barely had any water. He's been eating fine, dry food and mealworms as usual. What can I do to get more water in his diet, and is this a legitimate concern or would he drink water if he was thirsty?

ps, I've thought about adding fruits/veggies to his diet to help with water intake, but he won't eat anything I've given him so that's a no-go.