Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

So what do you do if you do see condensation in there? Sounds like a bad thing to have...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hot Cops posted:

I also save pretty much every silica gel packet I find and have a few stuffed into each lens / body compartment in my bag.

I do this too, but some of them have been in there for literally years and I'd imagine aren't god any more. Have you had any success "regenerating" them by baking in the oven? I tried it once and the bag fell apart and all the beads inside turned brown.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

orange lime posted:

I do this too, but some of them have been in there for literally years and I'd imagine aren't god any more. Have you had any success "regenerating" them by baking in the oven? I tried it once and the bag fell apart and all the beads inside turned brown.
You can get a whole bucket of the stuff for cheap from hobby stores that deal with dried flowers if you need more. Don't let you dog eat it though, that $2000 vet bill would have bought me a nice lens.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

InternetJunky posted:

So what do you do if you do see condensation in there? Sounds like a bad thing to have...

Find a sunny window and leave it there. Do not ever, under any circumstance use a hair dryer.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Have you checked out the super dorky photo vests? It seems like your running out of space on your body. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/buy/Vests/N/4289358074

$300 for dorky vests, pff. $8 at a military surplus place got me one of these, I can fit four cased lenses in the side pockets, filters in the breast pockets, my digital camera in one of the inside pockets, and film in all the others. :smugdog:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

$300 for dorky vests, pff. $8 at a military surplus place got me one of these, I can fit four cased lenses in the side pockets, filters in the breast pockets, my digital camera in one of the inside pockets, and film in all the others. :smugdog:

Holy poo poo, I have the same coat! Swedish military jacket, mine's stamped "1945" inside. I wear it everywhere and love both the stylish cut and the myriad of pockets. Hard to sit down with lenses in the back ones, but where a photographer's vest is something you kind of try to avoid wearing if possible, I get compliments on my sweet coat wherever I go.

(PS: this is realllly making me think about pulling the trigger on the 5DII I've been lusting after. My poor old 300D locked up and had to be rebooted three times trying to take this shot.)

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

orange lime posted:

Holy poo poo, I have the same coat! Swedish military jacket, mine's stamped "1945" inside. I wear it everywhere and love both the stylish cut and the myriad of pockets. Hard to sit down with lenses in the back ones, but where a photographer's vest is something you kind of try to avoid wearing if possible, I get compliments on my sweet coat wherever I go.

Hot drat that's exactly what I'm needing for my new line of regular work. I look like a dork at the tattoo conventions and motorcycle rides I'm going to be shooting for the foreseeable future, and this just might let me blend in and carry my poo poo incognito.

I really felt like a dumbass lugging a camera bag with me when the Grim Reapers rode in. :(

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
Anybody here play paintball?

I'm going on my best friend's stag on the weekend and one of the activities is painballing. I've never been before so I don't really know what to expect.

I will be bringing my D90 along on the weekend anyway but I'm wondering if its worth bringing it paintballing as well. I figure I could use it after I "die" put probably not while playing. Anyone have any tips for not getting your camera ruined?

I have a 50-150mm and a 30mm lens, which is likely to be more useful? Any other tips/suggestions would be really helpful.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Fungah posted:

I'm going on my best friend's stag on the weekend and one of the activities is painballing. I've never been before so I don't really know what to expect.

I will be bringing my D90 along on the weekend anyway but I'm wondering if its worth bringing it paintballing as well. I figure I could use it after I "die" put probably not while playing. Anyone have any tips for not getting your camera ruined?

I have a 50-150mm and a 30mm lens, which is likely to be more useful? Any other tips/suggestions would be really helpful.

I've shot Paintball before.

Rule #1: Stay the gently caress away
Rule #2: Stay the gently caress away :)

Seriously, most people there will be in "if it moves, shoot it" mentality, so you definitely do not want to be in line of sight of any active participants.
Depending on the scenario, you could either take some from behind plexiglass windows if it's an inside game with a spectators area

If it's outside, just be on the sidelines, hoping for the best.

The number of times people shot at me was staggering. Just wasn't worth doing most of the time. You'll need to either play the game, or take photos. Don't try and do both. Wear really different clothing.. if they're in camo gear, wear shorts and a bright tshirt.

Do whatever you can so they can determine, in less time than their trigger finger takes to react, that the very "gun" looking thing you're holding up to your face pointed in their direction isn't actually a gun.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fungah posted:

Your D90's not sealed, so I'd leave it well away from a speedball field. Just look at how much even referees get shot at and you'll have an idea of what to expect (hint: gonna get shot at).

If you can shoot from behind a curtain/plexi, use the 50-150.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
Haha, alright guys thanks for the advice. On second thoughts I will probably just take before and after pics!

Its outdoors but as I said, I have no idea what to expect as I've never been before.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Fungah posted:

Its outdoors but as I said, I have no idea what to expect as I've never been before.

Expect sore testicles.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
I always do.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

slartibartfast posted:

(a bunch of crap about backpacking and carrying a camera)

TRIP REPORT: Went to my local pro photo shop and played around with a bunch of different options. This thread was right about the R-strap -- no one knew what it was, and they definitely didn't have any in store.

I ended up going with one of the Think Tank holsters that was mentioned in the thread. It's really nice, actually. It's part of modular system, so I can expand into more carrying options later if I need to.

Looks a little something like this:

Holds my D80 just fine. I wore it with a shoulder strap, and used the velcro closure on the back to attach it to the hip belt on my pack. It ended up looking a little like a purse, so it's a good thing I'm not trying to look cool with it. :)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Playing around with tonemapping on an old throwaway shot of mine.

Too much?

old
new

Generally I can't stand the HDR look these days, but if it brings out some awesome detail without looking too artificial, then it's OK :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Other than the pretty large increase in noise I think it looks good.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

Cyberbob posted:

Too much?

old
new

Generally I can't stand the HDR look these days, but if it brings out some awesome detail without looking too artificial, then it's OK :)

I like how it looks on the sky and field, but in the people near the front you really see the HDR effect. I would be tempted to soften the effect there if I could.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

Too much?

old
new

It's a little far gone without a larger image/raw but I tried to clean the noise a bit, I like practicing workflow but for the first one, just a pass through NN with auto.

Click here for the full 1000x669 image.

This one I did a little extra noise reduction but it came out way too soft, so I threw some USM on it but it didn't do much good:

Click here for the full 1000x669 image.

It does kind of work for the image, a bit, because it's so over the top with the wide angle and colouration.

e: Wow not sure what happened to the second image, it didn't look that lovely before I uploaded it...

e:v Listen to dread, blending exposures to get amazing images is sort of his expertise.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 9, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Cyberbob posted:

Too much?

old
new

Blend the 2 (or more) exposures yourself, it will look much much better.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Cheers..

It was just a cookie cutter blend using Photomatix, no manual photoshopping or anything. Once I get PS onto my laptop, I'll have a go at manually blending, which should give much better results.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Hey guys, what is this in my bokehs?

Dirt? If so, where?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would guess on the sensor, if it was on the lense, both bokkkkkkehs would show the same dirt specs, no?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Is that donut bokeh? I've never seen anything like that before, but they look kind of donut-ish.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Shmoogy posted:

Is that donut bokeh? I've never seen anything like that before, but they look kind of donut-ish.

The dark lines at the edges of those shapes are diffraction fringes from the edge of the diaphragm. Donut bokeh looks like...a donut. It's a very obvious ring shape.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
No, it's normal bokeh produced by a 70-200 f/4L @ f/8. Here's the whole pic if that helps:

So is it really dirt on the sensor that is ruining my bokehs? I know it's a crappy shot, was just playing around :)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

orange lime posted:

The dark lines at the edges of those shapes are diffraction fringes from the edge of the diaphragm. Donut bokeh looks like...a donut. It's a very obvious ring shape.

Oh, after looking up donut bokeh, it's not just little 'donuts' inside of a hexagonal/whatever normal bokeh, it's just that they are rings. Interesting

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
It might also be the glass, check all the elements and front glass by shining a flashlight through it.

I remember seeing a 'crack' in the out of focus blur on one of my old old lens before. It turned out to be a line of fungus on one of the element, and the shape corresponds to the crack I saw.

Also I've seen it when there were water droplets on the front element.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

top scientists as:
I've had floaters in my right eye that look very similar since I had surgery on it. They look so close to the same thing it's freaking me out.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Edit: This is what I get for not refreshing the page for an hour and then posting.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

TheFuglyStik posted:

I've had floaters in my right eye that look very similar since I had surgery on it. They look so close to the same thing it's freaking me out.

Cool, I saw the same things as a kid. Had to be under certain light conditions. Could get them to float around by blinking. Didn't want to write it though because people might think I'm crazy.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

top scientists as:

Ringo R posted:

Cool, I saw the same things as a kid. Had to be under certain light conditions. Could get them to float around by blinking. Didn't want to write it though because people might think I'm crazy.

They're very common, especially when you've had surgery for a detached retina like I have. :( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

I just find it odd to see something like them show up in bokeh.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
This is more of a photoshop/lightroom question but whatever.

I want to be able to export my images with a white border and my watermark as below. Is there an easy way to do this that I'm missing?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Not sure about lightroom but it is pretty easy to set up an action that would do that in photoshop which you could then run as a batch.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is it possible to do that for both landscape and portrait oriented images in one action? I'm almost a complete photoshop newbie :(

brad industry
May 22, 2004
There has to be a way to do that in Lightroom, I know you can add a watermark when you export but I don't know about the border.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Google "mogrify plugin" for lightroom. That should enable you to add a border while exporting.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Seconded for LR2mogrify.

Fricking awesome, the free (fully functional) demo will let you export 10 images at once. It's worth the little money it takes to unlock the full version.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Thanks! I'll have to try it out, I'm always happy to pay for decent software :)

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!
This is really easy to do with photoshop if you know anything about javascript. Their scripting interface is pretty simple to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Scarboy posted:

This is really easy to do with photoshop if you know anything about javascript. Their scripting interface is pretty simple to use.

Photoshop has a script language? Like, better than just recording actions?

:psyduck:

This could change my life.