Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I would be interested to know what kind of nutrient drain zucchinis are on the soil.

If they get most of their material from the atmosphere, they might be a good candidate for a green manure crop.

Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I have i

kid sinister posted:

MI
Stick a heating pad under those tomato seed

PLs. They'll germinate MUCH faster.

i have an electric blanket under them :(

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I would expect it to be in line with other garden plants, size-for-size. You have to remember, the whole plant is gigantic. A single zucchini plant can cover over 10 square feet easy.

Richard Noggin posted:

I have an electric blanket under them :(

You can also cheat a little by watering with water warmer than room temperature.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

teknicolor posted:

One more question, a few of the seed packets say the seeds should be at 75-80*F, but we only keep our house at 68 tops, colder at night. Will that still be ok? Is the variable temp in the house an issue?

To start seeds I pack egg cartons with coconut coir and put the cartons in plastic bags tucking the open bag end under to seal it up. Setting it out in the sun will get them nice and hot.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I was the one with all the zucchini plants. I ended up with 9 or so. I ended up having to leave around the first part of July though, and the entire garden went to poo poo so it was a lot of wasted effort in the end. I did get some tomatoes and peppers and made some salsa, harvested and froze some corn. Thats all I got to put up though.

Today I planted 18 cabbages of two varieties, with different maturation speeds. 9 brussell sprouts even though I hate them. I'd like to see if it's just the frozen kindI've only ever encountered that makes me hate them. If not, I can just give them away. 9 broccoli. Two short rows of white onion, 1 row of yellow onion, 1 row red onion. Pretty good bed of Black Seeded Simpson lettuce, one lil' bed o' carrots. Last year not one carrot sprouted so I guess we'll see. I'm going to try and get some potato beds built in the next few days and that'll be it for planting till the middle of next month I suppose.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

I would be interested to know what kind of nutrient drain zucchinis are on the soil.

If they get most of their material from the atmosphere, they might be a good candidate for a green manure crop.

Anyone know?

My RHS book says that courgettes do well in any type of soil as they are very robust, but generally you're supposed to dig in some compost or manure beforehand to give them a boost. I personally wouldn't bother because the plants tend to be so prolific. I don't see why courgettes couldn't be used as a ground cover green manure, but the cutting up and digging in at the end could be difficult because of the fruits. You'd have to go round with a scythe to cut down the plants and then mash the fruits up before digging them in, or next year when you went to cultivate the soil you'd just find half rotten fruits in the ground.

Of course, you have a Rotavator, so it probably wouldn't be too much of a problem for you. And if you had a few goats, this blog says that you can offload a harvested glut on them, and then would only have the plants to dig in.

If you're looking for edible or more useful green manures, winter field bean can be harvested and eaten or given to chickens. As a legume it has nitrogen fixing roots, and the flowers are attractive to bees. Please note the book I'm reading on allotment gardening is geared towards the gulf stream loveliness of the UK, not the frozen wasteland of Hoth, so you might not be able to grow an overwinter bean crop, although you could probably try it at another time of year.
Another option could be buckwheat which does well on low fertility soil, as long as it's not heavy clay. Again, you can eat it or give it to chickens.

Give it a try as an agricultural experiment- do some soil fertility tests before flooding a field with courgettes and 6 months after digging them in.

EDIT: just went outside to check on the sprout seedlings I planted out the other day- 7/8 of them are already gone. I've no idea what's done it, it doesn't look like slug damage as the seedlings appear to have been cut and then moved. Could be the cat digging in the veg bed.

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 20, 2010

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I just looked outside my window, to see the sun coverage in my planned planting area, and its mostly shady right now, at 9am. :( I guess its still early in the spring though right, should I expect that area to just not be very good for planting? I think the house faces ENE or so, so most of the plot is shadowed by the house.

e: all of my plants require full sun

e2: just found out the area gets sun from "about 11 til sundown" so I guess that's ok right?

e3: ok this sucks, I rented a tiller only to find out my dry-looking soil is actually muddy, and clay-based, and I'm not happy :(

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 20, 2010

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

It would be hard to till in a zucchini trunk, they're fairly woody and about 3 inches thick.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I have access to a good chunk of farm field, I could pretty much grow whatever I wanted I bet. If I just bought a bulk pack of zucchini seeds and filled like an acre full of them, how well the fruits would be as like, compost material. The land isn't being used for anything anyhow. If could could grow a couple tons of zucchini to enrich my actual plot that'd be cool. This fall I'll be home for once so I can also plant a green manure ground cover.

Maybe I could burn off a couple acres of field and plant it full of clover and just mow it once a month and make a giant rear end compost pile too. The possibilities...

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Seems like a barley or clover approach would have better results and be a lot more effective in generating material for efficient composting.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

ChaoticSeven posted:

I have access to a good chunk of farm field, I could pretty much grow whatever I wanted I bet. If I just bought a bulk pack of zucchini seeds and filled like an acre full of them, how well the fruits would be as like, compost material. The land isn't being used for anything anyhow. If could could grow a couple tons of zucchini to enrich my actual plot that'd be cool. This fall I'll be home for once so I can also plant a green manure ground cover.

Maybe I could burn off a couple acres of field and plant it full of clover and just mow it once a month and make a giant rear end compost pile too. The possibilities...

A nitrogen fixing crop would seem to make more sense in this situation. That would mean something like fava, soya, alfalfa, clover, vetch, rye or others. These are generally winter crops used in rotation though

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

madlilnerd posted:

Of course, you have a Rotavator, so it probably wouldn't be too much of a problem for you. And if you had a few goats, this blog says that you can offload a harvested glut on them, and then would only have the plants to dig in.

Well, actually, I didn't have a tiller.

Until friday that is.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I think I cooked my tomato seeds. I had them over a heat mat, under lights, and the room I use is by a south facing window. The ones on the edge of the heat mat (where it was probably cooler) shot out of the soil in about 2 days and now look great, nothing else from any other part of the tray. I planted about half the seeds, I guess I will try again with the other half.

To chime in on the zucchini as green manure, I would say you could get a lot of organic matter, but it does use a lot of water, not the easiest thing to till in, and more traditional crops like clover, winter rye, field peas, buckwheat and the like are hardier and less prone to disease and insect pressures.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Clover seed is loving expensive though. I do have a big bag of it, but nothing grows here during winter.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003
What are some good resources for complete beginners to vegetable gardening (like myself)? I feel overwhelmed when all I want is basic information like: what I can grow, when to plant, when to harvest. I'm not even sure what everyone means when they talk about zones, but as a start I live in San Diego.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

ChaoticSeven posted:

The idea with clover isn't that you mow it and put it on a compost heap, but that you scythe it down, leave it to wilt and then dig it in. Leaving courgettes alone in a field would result in massive fruits- would be fun to mulch them up through a wood-chipper though. I want to see some of you farmy folks experimenting. For science! :science:

I wish I had some farm to play with. Next year I'll be living in London and will have to seek out the guerilla gardeners to avoid going stir crazy from lack of green fingers. Or commute back to my parents once a week to work in their garden.

Slung Blade posted:

Well, actually, I didn't have a tiller.
Until friday that is.

Help I'm seeing into the future agaaaaaain

Jesus Rocket posted:

What are some good resources for complete beginners to vegetable gardening (like myself)? I feel overwhelmed when all I want is basic information like: what I can grow, when to plant, when to harvest. I'm not even sure what everyone means when they talk about zones, but as a start I live in San Diego.

There are loads of books aimed at beginners, just type "beginning gardening" in the box at the top of this page and choose one that will work for you (I like books that are approved by the Royal Horticultural Society but I don't know what the American equivalent is so would probably get Vegetable Gardening For Dummies). Do any of your friends, neighbours, colleagues or family members garden? What is your garden like right now? Is it large, small, shady?

For a beginner, I would recommend container gardening, because you're less likely to suffer competition from weeds and some pests, and you won't have the effort of making raised beds or digging traditional beds. Decide what you would like to grow- what vegetable do you regularly eat and would enjoy nurturing? Tomatoes or peppers are a good place to start, because they're so delicious straight from the garden, relatively easy to grow and don't take forever to fruit.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

ChaoticSeven posted:

9 brussell sprouts even though I hate them. I'd like to see if it's just the frozen kindI've only ever encountered that makes me hate them. If not, I can just give them away.

I used to think this way, then I visited my sister in Chicago last Spring. She halved fresh brussell sprouts lengthwise, put them in a skillet cut surface down with some light olive oil and cooked over medium-high heat until they browned on the cut side. Removed into a serving bowl and graded some cheese over the top while hot so it melted. Ahhh YUM! Granted it was really good Wisconsin white cheddar, but this was a simple and very tasty dish that I've done when ever I find some good looking sprouts here. The sprouts have that crunch still and the flavor of the bitter cabbage with that bit of carmalization plus the cheese. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

I've never grown brussell sprouts before. Might try and get some in the ground this weekend if I can find some to transplant. i think it's a bit late to start from seed here in NC.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Just started off my early seeds today - a few herbs, peppers, some rapini and my first batch of lettuces. Tempted to start tomatoes, but it's still a bit early yet.

Anyone have any advice for growing daisies? I've never done flowers before and they seem to be perfoming much more poorly than the vegetables I typically do. I'm assuming sunlight is a bigger factor, so I set up a ghetto grow light setup yesterday, but any other ideas would be appreciated.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Uhhh, what kind of daisies? There's probably over a dozen flowers in asteraceae that can be referred to as "daisies" and they all have different growing habits. If you know the taxonomy of what you're growing I might be able to help you out, but just "daisy" doesn't say much.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jesus Rocket posted:

"Zones" refers to USDA Zone Maps, which you may want to Google. Basically they're a rough estimate of the local climate given how cold it gets there in the winter and how hot it gets there in the summer. Zone maps give you an idea of how well perennials (plants that come back after the winter) will do where you live and aren't as useful with veggies since most veggies are annuals and won't live long enough to be challenged by the winter. San Diego is zone 10 I believe, you might want to check.

That being said, a few of the "veggies" are actually fruits and are also perennials. They just can't survive the winter farther north, but you live in Zone 10... Since your winters are so mild there, they should survive the winter. It may be tempting to just let them keep going, but you will get diminishing returns with those as the stalk or vine lengthens and becomes "leggy". Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants come to mind. You may want to pull up the old plant and start a new one every year in order to get decent crops.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 21, 2010

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

The idea with clover isn't that you mow it and put it on a compost heap, but that you scythe it down, leave it to wilt and then dig it in. Leaving courgettes alone in a field would result in massive fruits- would be fun to mulch them up through a wood-chipper though. I want to see some of you farmy folks experimenting. For science! :science:

Yeah, I totally get that. My point was, though, is that the unused field is, well, unused. So planting clover or something in a giant block and then "harvesting" that for the green part of a giant mulch pile would actually do me some good. Tilling it back under where it was wouldn't do anything but cost money for seed.

drewhead posted:

I used to think this way, then I visited my sister in Chicago last Spring. She halved fresh brussell sprouts lengthwise, put them in a skillet cut surface down with some light olive oil and cooked over medium-high heat until they browned on the cut side. Removed into a serving bowl and graded some cheese over the top while hot so it melted. Ahhh YUM! Granted it was really good Wisconsin white cheddar, but this was a simple and very tasty dish that I've done when ever I find some good looking sprouts here. The sprouts have that crunch still and the flavor of the bitter cabbage with that bit of carmalization plus the cheese. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

I've never grown brussell sprouts before. Might try and get some in the ground this weekend if I can find some to transplant. i think it's a bit late to start from seed here in NC.

I'll be trying this, assuming my plants reach maturity.

Also, speaking of green mulches. Is there a cheap place online or something that sells bulk seeds, cheaply, for this purpose? Seed at local places like Lowes and Wal-Mart is way beyond being cost effective. I've been thinking about planting clover everywhere plants aren't in the garden as a ground cover to fix some nitrogen and keep all the grass and weeds choked down better at the same time.

ChaoticSeven fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 22, 2010

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

kid sinister posted:

That being said, a few of the "veggies" are actually fruits and are also perennials. They just can't survive the winter farther north, but you live in Zone 10... Since your winters are so mild there, they should survive the winter. It may be tempting to just let them keep going, but you will get diminishing returns with those as the stalk or vine lengthens and becomes "leggy". Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants come to mind. You may want to pull up the old plant and start a new one every year in order to get decent crops.

My 90-year-old neighbor has old broccoli plants like this. She has the neighborhood kids work on her garden in the summer and their payment is to get to pick a handful of the broccoli at the end of a work session. It produces these brocs that aren't like florets anymore, it just has tons of little tasty sprouts everywhere. Very fun to have your kids come home with a handful of broc sprouts, munching greedily. :3:

I am a newbie myself as this is my 3rd year doing veggies in containers. I found it simplest to just go to an OSH or whatever garden store you have and stare at the seed display. I picked out stuff I wanted to plant and read the envelopes. They will tell you what time of year to plant them, if they need shade or sun (they all need sun), how far apart, etc. Don't worry if the packets say you're too late, you have a nice long growing season in Socal and you get a little leeway because you don't have big frosts ever. Also, I would buy a simple drip watering kit. You'll never forget to water, and holy cow will your veggies take off. They're not complicated to set up.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Last year I planted the little starter plants from Wal-Mart (small plants in a container) But this year I am interested in two things.
(Note: I live in zone 8, Southern, South Carolina and the veggies I am interested in growing are peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, watermelon, lettuce, zucchini)

1. Can I take seeds and plant them outside (skip inside germinating) and expect reasonable results.

2. regardless of #1, when my plants are at there peak can i harvest seeds and keep them for next year. (OR, more specifically, what is the shelf life on seeds)

Bonus question, I have to avocado seeds that have sprouted (been sitting on my windowsill for a year) How close tot eh house can I plant these trees without worrying about damage from the roots (1ft-20ft?). I know these palnts probably will not fruit in South Carolina but I'm planning on planting them at my dads house cause he has no vegetation in his yard.

ass is hometown fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 22, 2010

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
I blame the lot of you for the large amount of money I spent on gardening supplies today: Seeds, potting soil, pots and little cups to start the seeds in. (I'm a little late for the seeds according to the package, but I figured South Carolina has a long enough growing season that the few weeks won't kill me.) The seeds were so fun to buy because I stood in front of the display for nearly forever deciding what I wanted. I decided on: Green beans, peas, carrots, butternut squash, cantaloupe (I don't have high expectations for those) and eggplant. To add to the tomatoes and herbs that I bought in plant-form last week.

When my dad found all of my little seed cups, he told me that we would work together and build big planters for the porch so I can grow them there. :3: I'm so excited to build things and move my soon-to-be baby plants to the big planter. I'm aware I started too many seeds. I figured I'd pick the best looking ones to move to the big planter and pots when the time comes.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Just wait, Smidgen. Soon you'll be devoting way too much time and money to the whole affair.

It makes for some drat good produce, though. You're in a great spot climate wise, get your tomatoes and hot peppers on!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ridonkulous posted:

I live in zone 8, Southern, South Carolina and the veggies I am interested in growing are peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, watermelon, lettuce, zucchini)

1. Can I take seeds and plant them outside (skip inside germinating) and expect reasonable results.

2. regardless of #1, when my plants are at there peak can i harvest seeds and keep them for next year. (OR, more specifically, what is the shelf life on seeds)

1. For watermelon yes, for some types of lettuce yes, zucchini it probably doesn't matter, all others you should start inside.

2. For almost all species and cultivars, yes you can harvest the seeds. The ones you have to watch out for are F1 hybrids. Due to the genetics involved, nearly every seed you collect will not stay true to the parent. Seed shelf life depends heavily on the species, but they will keep the longest if you store them in a dark, dry place. However, this doesn't apply for some bulbs. Some of those when stored will start sprouting all by themselves, without dirt, water or light. Guess why they call a Voodoo Lily a Voodoo Lily?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 22, 2010

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ridonkulous posted:

I don't with edible plants simply because we have a huge slug problem and any seedlings get eaten before I've even noticed they've sprouted. Or the birds eat the shoots. Or the mice eat the seeds.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
The way I store my seeds is I put them in one of those ziplock resealable containers with a few silica gel packets in the bottom, then I chuck it in the fridge. They stay cool, dark, and dry. I have seeds that I've kept up to 3 years in that fashion and they still germinated. Generally germination rates go down every year you store them, and some seeds go down at a rate faster than others, but my year-old seeds generally have about a 90% germination rate keeping them in the fridge.

El Bano
Mar 30, 2008

ChaoticSeven posted:

Also, speaking of green mulches. Is there a cheap place online or something that sells bulk seeds, cheaply, for this purpose? Seed at local places like Lowes and Wal-Mart is way beyond being cost effective. I've been thinking about planting clover everywhere plants aren't in the garden as a ground cover to fix some nitrogen and keep all the grass and weeds choked down better at the same time.

You need to go outside your city into one of the little rural tiny towns on the outskirts and go to a farm supply store. I found one in wilmer,AL that sells seeds by the pound usually for about twice as much as walmart sells by the pack. If the store ends in "and tack" chances are good it will sell seeds by the pound(or kilogram if you use the metric system like a pansy).

Alipes
Sep 6, 2006

Grimey Drawer

El Bano posted:

You need to go outside your city into one of the little rural tiny towns on the outskirts and go to a farm supply store. I found one in wilmer,AL that sells seeds by the pound usually for about twice as much as walmart sells by the pack. If the store ends in "and tack" chances are good it will sell seeds by the pound(or kilogram if you use the metric system like a pansy).

If you really want to order online, Johnny's Seeds has what looks to be a decent selection of green manures they sell by the pound as well. I haven't ordered through them before but Dave's Garden has pretty good reviews.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Zeta Taskforce posted:

You will be up to your ears in zucchini, but they are fun to grow. Once the hot weather starts, the plants practically explode from the ground; its neat to check them in the morning and then come back at home in the evening and suddenly they are another foot bigger.

When do you intend to transplant them? One mistake over enthusiastic beginners make is to start things too early. Zucchini is usually direct seeded directly in the garden. You can gain a bit of time transplanting them, especially if it is only a few plants, but even then, they grow so fast that you don’t want to more than a few weeks before you intend to transplant them.

They're two weeks and a day now, probably today I'm going to transplant them into 6-8 inch pots of topsoil/perlite mix with a little peat thrown in. Our plant date is between April 15 and 30 about so they will hang out in the pots for roughly a month.

I'm in Arkansas, 6b if I recall, and I'm planning for two growing seasons of everything I can manage. Perpetual plantings/harvests of stuff like carrots and radish.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Does anyone here have any opinion of the "Blueberry Giant" blueberry planter kit that has been all over the TV the last couple of weeks? My wife bought one just for shits and giggles the other day and I am wondering what to expect from it.

She bought a topsy turvy tomato planter too. Any opinions on those?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

PBCrunch posted:

Does anyone here have any opinion of the "Blueberry Giant" blueberry planter kit that has been all over the TV the last couple of weeks? My wife bought one just for shits and giggles the other day and I am wondering what to expect from it.

I don't know about the blueberry thing, but growing tomatoes upside down can be done in various containers (usually 5 gallon buckets). There's nothing magical about it.

Alipes
Sep 6, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PBCrunch posted:

Like the Richard Noggin mentioned, growing tomatoes upside-down definitely works, but I have heard a few complaints about the topsy turvy planters being flimsy, cardboard-ish material. I would go into it expecting to be able to use the topsy turvy for one year before it falls apart, and if you like the method, buy some decent-sized paint buckets from a hardware store and cut a hole in the bottom. I've grown cherry tomatoes with said buckets quite successfully.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I got a free topsy turvy from Gardens Alive last year and will trip report it this year. It's kind of a plastic fabric similar to a tarp and doesn't seem like it would out last a bucket.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

Blueberries are a little hard to grow because of their love for acidic soil. Keeping a soil pH around 5.0 is a little tricky.

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003

madlilnerd posted:

stuff
I believe my uncle might grow veggies and fruits. I know he gardens a lot, but I think he is mainly into succulents. I'll be sure to ask him. Right now my garden area is maybe about 10ftx10ft with only a tangerine tree (that shades most of it). I was already thinking that container gardening might be best for me and I'm glad to hear tomatoes and peppers are easy to grow since they were high on my list.

kid sinister posted:

zone stuff
Ah, ok. I looked around and see that San Diego is zone 10. Thanks for the info. I probably would have kept things planted thinking they were fine through the warm San Diego summers :pseudo:

hepscat posted:

I am a newbie myself as this is my 3rd year doing veggies in containers. I found it simplest to just go to an OSH or whatever garden store you have and stare at the seed display.
Good to hear how easy it is! Are there any places or brands to stay away from when looking for seeds? Will the seeds I get from Home Depo be just as good as the seeds for a gardening-specific store?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

PBCrunch posted:

I planted 2 up in Hawaii- we hung them off the chicken coop. I thought it was a pain to assemble and plant up (probably something to do with trying to do it on a garden chair sinking into the mud), but once they were up they looked good and the plants were certainly doing better than they were on the ground after a couple of days.

I think it would be nice to have one hung outside the back door by the kitchen, but at the same time I can just plant tumbling varieties of tomatoes in regular hanging baskets for the same effect.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

kid sinister posted:

Blueberries are a little hard to grow because of their love for acidic soil. Keeping a soil pH around 5.0 is a little tricky.

There are some tricks, such as planting in an area where pines grow (or mulching with pine needles), or amending the soil with peat moss or sulfur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Oh god, blueberries. When we moved in, our entire back yard was completely taken over by them (we pulled almost all of them out and have a normal yard now). We also have a black walnut tree out there, and I'm told that the nuts make the soil more acidic, so maybe that's why they went so insane. That's also apparently the reason we won't be able to grow tomatoes on our property, boo.

So! I'm starting an herb garden right outside my kitchen, something I've always wanted to do. Very excited. I'll be doing a raised bed one in the hopes that they'll grow nicely and that I can avoid excessive weeding. I have seeds for basil, chives, cilantro/cordiander, dill, marjoram, parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme. (I don't really have much use for mint, although I know it's popular.) A couple of incredibly newbie questions that I can't really find the answers to:

- I think I need to start the seeds indoors now (zone 6, last frost March 30 - April 30). I have the space and stuff for this. I was going to use labeled red plastic keg cups; is that cool? Do I just put one seed per cup, or should I put a bunch of them in there to increase the chances of something sprouting?

- herbgardening.com says that everything can be started inside about 6 weeks before last frost; the seed packets generally say more like 3-4 weeks. I figured I'd start 'em all now and put them in the ground after like 4-6 weeks (after last frost). Sound good? Also, how big will they get in that time? I don't know how much room I need or how long the cups will cut it.

- How many actual plants do I need per type of herb? I really don't know anything about plant yield. I have a two-person household and like to cook. I don't mind having a bunch and then drying some or giving some away, but I don't want to be overrun. I especially want lots of basil for pesto and stuff.

- For raised bed gardening, do I still need to follow the guidelines for how far apart to space my plants? Or do I plant them closer-spaced? (I thought part of the reason for raised bed is so you get more stuff per square inch.)

I'm sorry I'm retarded; I have no idea what I'm doing. But I'm reading a lot about this and absolutely cannot wait to get going. Herb gardening is supposed to be easy, but I want to be careful since I don't have any experience.