Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Haha, I have too many to keep up with myself. This seemed like the best option for me keeping a gardening journal. I looked at a few programs, but the ones that looked promising were all like 50-75 bucks, which seems like huge overkill for my dinky little first attempt at gardening in pots, heh. I'm going to try and keep a hand-written journal too, but I really suck at not losing things that are written down. :(

I used a trial of growveg.com too, to plan out where I'm going to put everything, and don't get me wrong, it's nice and *very* handy, but I don't think it's 25 bucks a year nice for what I need, personally. I could do pretty much the same thing in Paint if I wasn't so lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
myfolia that Cerri mentioned is really good, actually. Some of the cool stuff like tracking when plants should likely germinate / be transplanted costs some money (like 22 bucks a year), but the free stuff is perfectly useable as well.

I'm on there as enki42 if anyone wants to add me.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Cerri posted:

I'm signed up as Cerri on myfolia...would there be interest in a Goons in Gardens group?

Thanks for mentioning that website--I'm attempting a porch container garden myself and so far have just "journaled" on scraps of paper thrown into a file when I can, but I'm liking organizing this stuff online. I have a bunch of pics I need to upload, but I signed up for that site as Myyah.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Just signed up on Myfolia as Chajara. Looks like a great site, though I'm debating whether or not I want to shell out 22 bucks for the special features.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Woohoo! Earliest planting to date. I tied up a trellis and planted some sugar peas, then a couple rows of regular shelling peas. Some dill and radishes later, and I'm off to a good start. For reference, I'm in southern NH, zone 5.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Chajara posted:

Just signed up on Myfolia as Chajara. Looks like a great site, though I'm debating whether or not I want to shell out 22 bucks for the special features.

The planting timeline alone is pretty cool. I just signed up, but it's already saved me a couple of cases of abandoning seeds because I think they're never going to germinate.

I also started the Goons in Gardens group if anyone is interested.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 28, 2010

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I will post this
my myfolia profile

but it is new and needs to be fleshed out.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Still trying to figure out that site but I signed up as hepscat. So hey, with the help of their detailed Zone hardiness map I found I am not Zone 10 but Zone 9. There's a lot of variation where I am and I could never zoom in enough on the standard pdf map you see out there.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

hepscat posted:

Still trying to figure out that site but I signed up as hepscat. So hey, with the help of their detailed Zone hardiness map I found I am not Zone 10 but Zone 9. There's a lot of variation where I am and I could never zoom in enough on the standard pdf map you see out there.

There's some variation in hardiness zone maps. The offical USDA is still from 1990 (using data collected from the 20 years before that) and some organizations have collected new data on the past 15 years, and like half the nation got bumped up to a higher number due to warmer weather over that period. A lot of the new non-USDA maps have gotten rid of the more detailed 6A, 6B graduations. So you'll see different information on different sites. Where I live, I've seen it as 7 and 6B.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

hepscat posted:

If you live right on the border of 2 zones, it doesn't matter which you really are in. You can grow stuff from both. That's how I was able to plant a giant sequoia at my parents' place in zone 5.

If you have an extremely sheltered spot on the south side of your house and mulch heavily, you can fudge 2 zones. I was able to get some zone 7 cannas established there too!

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
In as engageant

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

You are welcome to follow me as Zeta_taskforce

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

enki42 posted:

The planting timeline alone is pretty cool. I just signed up, but it's already saved me a couple of cases of abandoning seeds because I think they're never going to germinate.

I also started the Goons in Gardens group if anyone is interested.

Yeah speaking of which I planted peas and spinach on a warm day and we got a frost the next night. The peas actually seem to still be coming up albeit slowly (I dug one up today to see if it was dead) but the spinach was a total bust, not a single one germinated. Guess I get to replant. :mad:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I just lost two rows of spinach to tornado related weather. Boooooooo.

Edit: Started a Folia account, if only to track the stacks of difficult plants I'm trying to grow this year. So far I have bhut jolokia, white habs, Caribbean red habs, Jamaican reds, and Thai burapa getting ready for transplant. Disappointing germination for the jolokia but I'm still excited.
Got some tomatoes off and running to boot, some Brandywine, Rutgers, Big Boy, and Roma. All graduated to some bigger peat pots after outgrowing their seed starts.
Got a whole rack of herbs started too, but they're looking awfully leggy. I think I started my basil too early this year, then we ended up with unseasonably late chilly weather and then spring tornadoes. I have a LOT of work left in the garden, trying to cut up sod and get the clay worth a drat. School and work and having kids is a pain in the rear end.

mischief fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 29, 2010

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
K, now following everyone who's posted their myfolia profile, and joined the Goons in Gardens group.

So, I swore I wasn't going to buy any more things to plant, since I think I might have overdone it already, but then my friend made me go to the Dallas Farmer's Market with her and...well, I added Hot and Spicy Oregano, Onion Chives, and two Stevia plants to my overloaded windowsill of plants waiting to be replanted.

I'll be planting this week, either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Chajara posted:

Yeah speaking of which I planted peas and spinach on a warm day and we got a frost the next night. The peas actually seem to still be coming up albeit slowly (I dug one up today to see if it was dead) but the spinach was a total bust, not a single one germinated. Guess I get to replant. :mad:

Yeah, the same thing happened with my peas--they took over two weeks to germinate, but they did come up and now they're madly exploding. The green onions took 25 days to bother to sprout. Every time the weather starts to warm up, I plant something and then nature says "AHAHA gently caress YOU" and plummets the temperature several degrees and hides the sun for a week. "You'll have lettuce in 35 days MY rear end," Nature mocks me.

WhiteDoveLost
Jan 13, 2008
"I don't know about happily ever after... but I know about happily." - Francesca Lia Block
Joined the group as WhiteDoveLost, first time doing the veggie garden thing on my own (my mother always had a huge garden growing up that I really miss). So far I've been overjoyed to even get my sprouts. I'm known for having a black thumb of sorts.

EDIT: Spelling

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
The sun is shining up here in Canada.

It's almost time!!

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Click here for the full 1296x776 image.

Click here for the full 1296x776 image.

It's a bit early, but i've fully finished my planter box. This was my only week off for the next few months, so it was now or never.

brand new box, 4x6x10. full of a mixture of storebought and homemade compost, peat moss, vermiculite, steer and chicken poo poo (worried about the chicken poo poo, I forgot it had to cure before use. whoops.)

no pics of the seedlings yet because it's too tough to see them among the mulch. I believe the full cast of characters this year is tomatoes (german strawberry, fireworks and pink ponderosa), bell and cayenne peppers, snap peas, carrots, radishes, leeks, chives, basil (lime and genovese), thyme, garlic transplants from elsewhere in the garden, and chiogga beets.

oh and those panels over the top are some old shower doors I rescued from the trash heap. they're serving as a makeshift greenhouse until it gets a bit warmer and the seedlings a bit bigger. reduce, reuse, recycle eh?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
The shower doors - I was going to say, what specialized product you got going there? Nice. You also have a nice crop of California poppies.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Yep, the poppies are all volunteers. the other two boxes behind have been neglected for a year or two, and are now a mix of garlic, anise, poppy, rattlesnake weed, and maybe some comfry in there somewhere. I was forbidden from resowing those boxes due to the poppies (this is in a parent's back yard)

The tree next to the new planter is apple. We've also got 2 pears, a plum and a cherry tree, all of which put out bumper crops. I'm hoping to sell off enough of my harvest this year to friends and family to make up the cost of this project (~$120, total). But who am I kidding, I'll end up being generous and giving most of it all away.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

hepscat posted:

The shower doors - I was going to say, what specialized product you got going there? Nice. You also have a nice crop of California poppies.
Despite being a bit awkwardly sized, the frosted glass is a great choice though.

Where I live there's a really good building recyclables center that sells used parts fr dissaembled houses and poo poo, so it's pretty easy to track down el-cheapo shower doors for projects like a greenhouse or raised/covered beds. I always preferred the plastic/plexi ones, since there's less chance of nasty cuts when you gently caress up and bash one with something. :)

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Instead of sowing them this year, I germinated some carrots indoors then thinned them when I transplanted them. So far they like their new home. I stuck a little baby romaine in there too.

I have some plants in peat pots waiting for my husband to finish building my new redwood planter. Actually, he finished the box today and we're going to get soil/compost tonight.

I'm giving away all but two of those zucchinis. I can't tell my cherry tomatoes from my sweet peppers now.

I was weeding in my flower beds and found a sprouting almond, so I plopped it in a peat pot. I don't know what to do with it, though. We don't have a spot for a new tree. It seems happy in its new home. :gbsmith:

This is the greatest danger to my veggies:

Damiana
Feb 15, 2008
Title Placeholder
I saw a good rare(r) herb link here earlier and I can't find it anymore. Can someone help me?

Also, I planted some zucchini, squash, herbs and rutabaga in little peat pots a week ago and they haven't come up yet. They've stayed nice, warm and moist. Should I try again?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Cross posting here too.

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

This is my little garden I recently slaved over. It still needs a net cover to protect from birds, and I need to make a compost bin. Other then that it is done. I do have some left over space on the veggie area so I will probably drop in carrots and peppers or something of that nature.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 1, 2010

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

hepscat posted:

transplanting carrots

I'll be curious to hear how these turn out. I've always heard that root crops like carrots and beets can't be transplanted because the roots won't form properly afterwards. But if you have luck with that then I may give it a go for a fall crop, I always have trouble getting carrots started in my beds at the end of summer because it's too drat hot, so by the time the seeds actually germinate it's almost October already.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Veila posted:

Cross posting here too.

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

This is my little garden I recently slaved over. It still needs a net cover to protect from birds, and I need to make a compost bin. Other then that it is done. I do have some left over space on the veggie area so I will probably drop in carrots and peppers or something of that nature.

How much sun are you getting there? Looks a little on the confined side. I have fairly dappled sun so I'm interested in any raised bed success stories for sketchy amounts of sunlight.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

One question I hope you guys can help me with:

Some rapini seedlings I planted recently are CRAZY leggy - they're just starting to show true leaves now and they're about 2-3 inches long. I've already attempted to correct my mistake by putting them much closer to my grow light setup (as in 2-3 inches) and they are now not falling over at all, but should I really expect much from these plants? I don't think I have enough time to go back to the drawing board and resow them, but if they're going to be a waste of garden space I'll just trash them. I figure since half the reason to grow rapini is for stalks they'll probably be ok.

Also, is rapini especially prone to this or something? I have a lot of stuff starting up now, including some plants I'd figure would be light hungry, and it's the only one to get the ridiculously long stems.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

enki42 posted:

One question I hope you guys can help me with:

Some rapini seedlings I planted recently are CRAZY leggy - they're just starting to show true leaves now and they're about 2-3 inches long. I've already attempted to correct my mistake by putting them much closer to my grow light setup (as in 2-3 inches) and they are now not falling over at all, but should I really expect much from these plants? I don't think I have enough time to go back to the drawing board and resow them, but if they're going to be a waste of garden space I'll just trash them. I figure since half the reason to grow rapini is for stalks they'll probably be ok.

Also, is rapini especially prone to this or something? I have a lot of stuff starting up now, including some plants I'd figure would be light hungry, and it's the only one to get the ridiculously long stems.

Don’t know if rapini is particularly prone to being leggy, or if it is more so than other members of the cabbage family, but I think if it doesn’t keep stitching out and the rest of the plant becomes leafier, you would probably get away with it if you just plant the plants a bit deeper in the garden.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My broccoli seedlings have always been ridiculously leggy as well, but everything else in my seed starting setup was growing normal. I think there's just something about broccoli/rapini that makes it shoot up crazy tall, maybe? :confused: I always just plant mine deeper when I transplant so they're not flopping so much when they're small.

e: Guess what I found in my garden?!?

The first asparagus of the year! For some reason this crown is way ahead of the others (which are all just half-inch asparagus nubs right now). Guess I need to hurry my rear end up and weed/mulch that bed now.

Marchegiana fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 31, 2010

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Is it safe to transplant stuff other than tomatoes deep? I always thought that was a no-no unless the stems will grow roots.

I'm crazy jealous Marchegiana, I always want to grow asparagus but I can't commit to wait more than a year to get stuff.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

enki42 posted:

Is it safe to transplant stuff other than tomatoes deep? I always thought that was a no-no unless the stems will grow roots.

I'm crazy jealous Marchegiana, I always want to grow asparagus but I can't commit to wait more than a year to get stuff.

You’re not going to get roots on the buried part of the stem like tomatoes, but you can plant them a bit deeper than they were as transplants so they don’t fall over when you first put them out. They will thicken up when they are outside. If they end up failing, you will still have time to go to the garden center and buy some broccoli transplants or sow some lettuce.

Are you using bottom heat to grow them by chance?

I want to plant some asparagus too, this year I’m going to be hacking at the ivy that the previous owners planted next to the foundation and get it ready.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

hepscat posted:

This is the greatest danger to my veggies:

Those were all over my tomatoes last year :(

Funny story... at a BBQ we hosted last year my daughter was grabbing cherry tomatoes off the plant and eating them and one of our friends says "Ew you let her eat them right off the plant like that?"

I was so surprised I failed completely to come up with an appropriately sarcastic reply.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
That's nothing, I can remember as a kid my grandfather digging up an onion from the garden, peeling it, and eating it like an apple.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

lags posted:

Funny story... at a BBQ we hosted last year my daughter was grabbing cherry tomatoes off the plant and eating them and one of our friends says "Ew you let her eat them right off the plant like that?"

I was so surprised I failed completely to come up with an appropriately sarcastic reply.

Depends, were they green? Also, the acid from eating ~10 cherry tomatoes and nothing else will be punishment enough in 10 or so minutes...

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

lags posted:

People are so weird. It’s like they think that unless food comes in a plastic bag with a barcode on it, it’s not sanitary or something.

A few years ago I was growing some tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, and a few other things in my community garden plot. Everything was coming along nice and I was excited to show my then boyfriend at the time what I was doing. I brought a few plastic bags and a knife so I could harvest some stuff for him on the spot, and started eating the cherry tomatoes right off the plant. He wouldn’t eat any without washing them because everyone knows things outside are dirty. The carrots really freaked him out because they had just been in the dirt. :confused:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Zeta Taskforce posted:

You’re not going to get roots on the buried part of the stem like tomatoes, but you can plant them a bit deeper than they were as transplants so they don’t fall over when you first put them out. They will thicken up when they are outside. If they end up failing, you will still have time to go to the garden center and buy some broccoli transplants or sow some lettuce.

Are you using bottom heat to grow them by chance?

No, no additional heat at all. I was potentially overwatering them a bit, I'm going to cool down on that for a while and see if the situation improves.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Yes, the carrots are definitely an experiment. I have a hard time thinning out and I thought that might get me more spaced out...I've got a generous growing season so I figure I can restart if needed. I still have carrots from last fall going as well.

My planter is done, now we're working on soil!

I'm in a rush because we will be away for a few days this weekend, and I was hoping to have everything in the ground that I can, drip irrigation set up, etc. At this point, running behind schedule with the planter & dirt, I won't be able to let the soil warm up for days. Which is worse do you think, plopping them in the soil right away or trusting the rain to keep my seedlings going for 3 days? :(

It occurs to me that maybe I can pick up some shower doors at the salvage yard and use that to heat up the soil faster.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Clear plastic tarp can work as well, although it can rip in the wind. If you've got raised boxes already you can just throw it over the whole box and weight it down around the edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Zeta Taskforce posted:

People are so weird. It’s like they think that unless food comes in a plastic bag with a barcode on it, it’s not sanitary or something.

A few years ago I was growing some tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, and a few other things in my community garden plot. Everything was coming along nice and I was excited to show my then boyfriend at the time what I was doing. I brought a few plastic bags and a knife so I could harvest some stuff for him on the spot, and started eating the cherry tomatoes right off the plant. He wouldn’t eat any without washing them because everyone knows things outside are dirty. The carrots really freaked him out because they had just been in the dirt. :confused:

That reminds me of this episode of Wife Swap I watched, where the husband in California started freaking out when the other woman started pegging out his laundry to dry because it would get dirty outside in the sunshine. What kind of retard uses a tumble dryer when they live in the California suburbs?

My brother also refuses to eat certain things straight from the garden (it depends on their proximity to the ground). He says it's because he pees on the compost heap.

I don't understand why my germination rate on peas has been so low this year- and one of my seedlings mysteriously wilted and died for no apparent reason.