Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I don’t know where you are, but if the heat has already started big time for you, then it might be too late to plant things that benefit from cool weather like peas and spinich, in which case you will need to wait until late summer

I live in NJ, and I think I'm best off with container plants just because clearing a spot in my back yard might take weeks. All of the sunny places are overgrown with roots and kudzu.

I think peppers would be good to grow, if that's a good beginner's plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
There's mold on my camellia sinensis seeds! What do I do? :ohdear:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

landis posted:

There's mold on my camellia sinensis seeds! What do I do? :ohdear:

Mold on the seeds or just the dirt?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
On the seeds. They're still in their little baggy and they've acquired a powdery coating.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If the seeds aren't wet and squishy, or just dried up husks, they should be fine. Were you storing them in a dry place?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
Yeah, they're not squishy or anything. How should I get the crud off before I try to plant them? These are large seeds, like hard nuts, maybe rinse them in warm water with a spot of bleach followed by another rinse in just water or something?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Wandering Knitter posted:

I live in NJ, and I think I'm best off with container plants just because clearing a spot in my back yard might take weeks. All of the sunny places are overgrown with roots and kudzu.

I think peppers would be good to grow, if that's a good beginner's plant.

If you have Kudzu, won’t it take years, not weeks, to get rid of? If you own the place, then hacking that stuff out may be a good project though. Please no one get mad at me because we already had this conversation, but a herbicide that contains Glyphosate such as Roundup will save you lots of time. It is cheap, effective, and safe when used according to the instructions on the label. That or borrow a goat!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

landis posted:

Yeah, they're not squishy or anything. How should I get the crud off before I try to plant them? These are large seeds, like hard nuts, maybe rinse them in warm water with a spot of bleach followed by another rinse in just water or something?

If they're big enough to get a handle on, I'd try some elbow grease with a wet rag first, then just let them dry out.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

a herbicide that contains Glyphosate such as Roundup will save you lots of time. It is cheap, effective, and safe when used according to the instructions on the label.

You can get it even cheaper as a generic now that the patent expired...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zeta Taskforce posted:

If you have Kudzu, won’t it take years, not weeks, to get rid of? If you own the place, then hacking that stuff out may be a good project though.

Oh, that kudzu is a family heirloom. My Grandma got "This cute little plant!" when she moved into the house and planted it near the front of the yard. Thankfully after years of battling we've contained it in one corner. Of course, it's the corner the gets the only real sunlight. :suicide:

I think my best bet is container planting and keeping it on the patio. It's the only other sunny place.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Well crap, I went on vacation for a week and came home to find a couple of my drip irrigation tubes got knocked out of place, and my peppers may not survive. :( Well, I'm happy to buy some starter plants but I'm going to try to nurse them a little bit to see if they're a total loss.

The transplanted carrots are going strong, Marchiegana.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Wandering Knitter posted:

Oh, that kudzu is a family heirloom. My Grandma got "This cute little plant!" when she moved into the house and planted it near the front of the yard. Thankfully after years of battling we've contained it in one corner. Of course, it's the corner the gets the only real sunlight. :suicide:

I think my best bet is container planting and keeping it on the patio. It's the only other sunny place.

So every time you leave for a week and you come back and you realize that the kudzu devoured the picnic table again, you think of grandma. Its very endearing in a way :)

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I re-potted my tomatoes last night, from plugs to pots. I wound up with 44 plants for my own garden, and I gave a couple dozen away to family.

Here's a shot of the growing rack I made. The top section is covered with poly, and acts like a mini greenhouse. I have a thermometer set up in there, the temp usually hovers around 78*. On the bottom right is a flat of basil that I need to prick out.

And a partial top view of my raised beds, taken through a screen.

puffin
Dec 19, 2000

Richard Noggin posted:

I re-potted my tomatoes last night, from plugs to pots. I wound up with 44 plants for my own garden, and I gave a couple dozen away to family.

Are they going to go on the 3 raised beds below? I don't miss dealing with 3 times less plants since switching to grafted tomatoes.

Richard Noggin posted:

Here's a shot of the growing rack I made. The top section is covered with poly, and acts like a mini greenhouse. I have a thermometer set up in there, the temp usually hovers around 78*. On the bottom right is a flat of basil that I need to prick out.
That's a nice little space, enough to get them to a good size and I'm guessing you can use it for grafting/cloning experiments. I'm lucky enough not to have to do that in the south of france, I planted yesterday but I could've done so a couple of weeks ago.

Richard Noggin posted:

And a partial top view of my raised beds, taken through a screen.

I see there's a built-in fertilizer generator on the left one.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Yes, they'll be going in the raised beds. There's actually two more to the left, out of frame, that are a mirror image of the ones on the right. Regarding the birdhouse, sadly no birds live in it. I think I made the opening too big. I'll have my cherry tomatoes growing in four hanging baskets, one on each side of the post. On the bottom right, you can kind of see the trellis I made for peas. I drove a couple T-posts in, then ran mason's string horizontally every 6" or so. I then tied vertical pieces in, weaving between the horizontal runners.

I haven't played with grafting tomatoes, as mine seem to do OK. This is the third year that I've started seeds indoors, and every year has been a learning experience.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
WTF, we've got strawberries! It's been like two weeks since I've planted these, the buggers are growing up fast.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cage em quick, before the birds get at them.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Hm, didn't think about that. I'll make a box out of chicken wire ASAP (will those holes be small enough? I could use fabric mesh..). Thanks for the advice!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Slung Blade posted:

Cage em quick, before the birds get at them.

It wouldn't be so bad if birds would just eat a whole strawberry or tomato, instead of goring a hole in every single one. loving birds.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Around here we also have to worry about box turtles. Somehow they manage to get into my dad's raised beds.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Costello Jello posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if birds would just eat a whole strawberry or tomato, instead of goring a hole in every single one. loving birds.

OOH A SEED *stabs*
OOH A SEED *stabs*
OOH A BUG *flies off and leaves fruit to rot*
*is a loving chickadee*

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

kid sinister posted:

Around here we also have to worry about box turtles. Somehow they manage to get into my dad's raised beds.

What? How do they get up there?

Are you sure they're not orcs in disguise?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

What? How do they get up there?

I don't know and it frightens me sometimes.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Alright guys you have successfully terrified me that orcs are going to come and eat my strawberries in the dead of night, thanks a lot.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

kid sinister posted:

Probably the particular box turtle sub-species Terrapene orcus sarumanus. They're particularly good at scaling fortifications.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nice. Didn't even notice the change at first.

:golfclap:

puffin
Dec 19, 2000

The strawberries were planted a week ago, I put up some rebar because the back row is a so-called "climbing" variety (Everest) that I'm trying for the first time.

Tied-up apple tree. All of our apple trees are about to flower, the cherries are in full bloom and the apricots have suffered badly from a cold night a few weeks back so we won't have many.

I screwed up a couple of years ago and split it slightly while shaping it.

Here are the just-planted tomatoes. The plants against the left wall and at the top right are all cherries, regular and pear. They'll take up the U-shaped structure at the top right and the walls of a parking space on the other side of the leftmost wall. The regular tomatoes will have the two center 2m x 2m rebar partitions (they go up further than the right posts) as well as the backs. All are grafted so this shouldn't take too long to fill.

puffin fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 10, 2010

puffin
Dec 19, 2000

moana posted:

WTF, we've got strawberries! It's been like two weeks since I've planted these, the buggers are growing up fast.

i'd cut the first strawberries and suckers to get the plant to quickly make leaves, you'll get more in the long term.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

puffin posted:

Tied-up apple tree. All of our apple trees are about to flower, the cherries are in full bloom and the apricots have suffered badly from a cold night a few weeks back so we won't have many.

Umm, why are you training your apple tree to that shape? Apple trees are normally trained to a central leader shape.

puffin
Dec 19, 2000

kid sinister posted:

Umm, why are you training your apple tree to that shape? Apple trees are normally trained to a central leader shape.
Because it's on a dwarfing rootstock and I want it to have that shape. "Gobelets" as they are sold here are not intended to be central leader. The torture sessions I submitted it to aren't conventional though and I understand what you're saying.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

And so it begins anew.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Costello Jello posted:

Slugs do that too. The worst thing when going to Pick Your Own to get strawberries was finding the perfect sized, beautifully ripe fruit and picking it only to find a tiny bastard slug chomping away on the other side :argh:

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

kid sinister posted:

This, and also, you shouldn't tie directly to branches or trunks (I see you used a sponge there) Cut a small strip of burlap, loop that around the branch, then tie the rope to that. The way you have it, you can girdle the branch pretty easily.

puffin
Dec 19, 2000
Garden apple trees aren't all central leader, it depends on the form it was purchased. It was intended to take a bowl shape in the form I bought it in, but I posted it because it looks wierd. I believe the branches will be sturdy and well balanced in a few years but feel free to point out why you disagree.

I know of the many ways of tying a tree and pruning it, I will not hurt or girdle it. I've been doing it this way for years with many species. The 3 side ties are loose and are moved/tightened throughout the season to simulate fruiting (I won't let it fruit this year), and are in an elastic material. The splint is tight for a good reason, is temporary and has never affected branch diameter in the past but feel free to suggest a better splint design that will withstand tension while keeping the wound closed. I've tried a few.

puffin fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 11, 2010

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I'm not contesting the splint; that's a necessary evil. You say the side ties are loose, but they look taut to me. Just pointing it out :)

puffin
Dec 19, 2000
eh, the simple knot would slide down the line or the rubbery plastic would expand well before anything happened in the short time it's there. I would have done something more elaborate if it were permanent. I know it's a hosed up tree but you'll see it come along :)

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Just checked up on the plants outside and my little spinach sprouts have their first true leaves poking up and the peas have their first flower buds. :neckbeard:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Well I should have worked on a net sooner but I figured it will be ok. But alas something dug up and drug around my strawberrys the other night... they are not doing so good. I picked them up and did my best to replant them but I don't think they will survive. Thankfully everything else is ok.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Costello Jello posted:

Probably the particular box turtle sub-species Terrapene orcus sarumanus. They're particularly good at scaling fortifications.

That picture is loving badass. Terrifying.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're going to try growing corn this year for the first time. My mom was warning me that its hard to grow corn. Any tips? We're just growing it in our backyard. Its not like we're trying to grow a whole field of it.

She kept telling me I needed to grow a lot to make sure they're fertilized well. I was really confused and was asking her if I should mix a lot of compost in with the soil or if I should water them with fertilizer often. Until I realized she meant pollinate and not fertilize. It didn't help that right before I was telling her about growing corn she was asking me when I plan on giving her grand kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I grew corn one year, just a little bit, to see what would happen. I had 16 stalks planted in a 4' by 4' block, and got 1-2 ears per stalk. However, I also got hit hard by corn earworms, and ended up throwing away nearly two thirds of the ears because the damage was so extensive. So now I just buy corn from the farmers market, and use that space for growing something that the bugs don't eat the hell out of.