Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Try catching some of the fuckers. The one in our bedroom I had to don heavy leather welding gloves to remove (trapped it in a plastic laundry basket), the one in the living room I shot with a .45 shooed out a window and shot it with the pellet gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Richard Noggin posted:

Try catching some of the fuckers. The one in our bedroom I had to don heavy leather welding gloves to remove (trapped it in a plastic laundry basket), the one in the living room I shot with a .45 shooed out a window and shot it with the pellet gun

Catch one alive and hang it on the porch as a message to the other squirrels.

it worked for pirates.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I wanted to do that with the rabbit I killed last year but my wife forbade me. :(

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ridonkulous posted:

Catch one alive and hang it on the porch as a message to the other squirrels.

it worked for pirates.

Squirrels are determined little fuckers and do not register their fallen brethren as warning signs. My dad and I shot at least 75 of them 2 years ago trying to keep them out of our 6 pecan trees. I'm certain of that number since we kept a tally sheet and that's where we lost count. We would watch from the house and they don't even stop as they forage on the ground or they just jump right over the bodies en route to the trees.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 18, 2010

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Dogs work pretty well. 100 feet or so from our house you'll find hundreds to thousands of squirrels but closer than that and they rarely venture, even when we leave food out for the chickens.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

hepscat posted:

Jesus, that's some sassy squirrels. I've never lived anywhere they would actually be bold enough to go in a structure.
Yeah, it makes me wonder if some idiot in that apartment complex was feeding them bread or bird seed or something on purpose. I've only seen squirrels that would venture that close to people when they were being "rewarded" for it. The squirrels in my yard will clamber all over the porch and deck and peek in the windows but they've never once tried to come through the screens.

Squirrels are vermin though and as was noted, don't give a poo poo about the bodies of their cousins. An open tree is open territory.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Where I used to live, a kindly little old lady used to leave out entire bags of unshelled peanuts on her back porch every few days. The squirrels were a nightmare, but they never tried to get in the houses. Then again, they didn't need to. drat, that lady was a dumbass. It was squirrel central station between our yards.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Anyone have a recommendation for shade cloth using a commonly available (inexpensive) material?

nationalism
Feb 25, 2006

"not gay"

dwoloz posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for shade cloth using a commonly available (inexpensive) material?
Home Depot

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

dwoloz posted:

Tarps are cheap, or drop cloths. Craigslist for old sails?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

hepscat posted:

Tarps are cheap, or drop cloths. Craigslist for old sails?

Shade cloth is more like window screening...hint hint.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Also, squirrels will enter structures. They can be a nightmare to get rid of if they get in your attic.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I really need some advice with planting.

The seasons have been absolutely wrecked where I live. I planted last spring and it was a disaster. The heat literally scorched the earth and burned whatever had germinated to a crisp. 100% failure.

It is now autumn, and all the plants have become green and are starting to flower. Things are growing, the fig tree has fruit etc. The winters here are mild at most.

Given things are actually germinating and growing like crazy right now, would I be mad for planting some things? The absolute worst is at the dead of winter a few very mild frosts.

Should I give it a go?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

dwoloz posted:

drat, that's a load of strawberries. How much did 100 run you?

About $40 shipped. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6568-cabot.aspx To buy 25 shipped it was going to be about $23 so it made sense to buy a ton extra.

We spent a ton of money on the garden this weekend. I bought a $100 tumble composter, 6 bell pepper plants, 4 Roma, 2 Better Boy, 2 Celebrity, 2 Grape Tomato, 2 Early Girl, a few small spinach plants, 10 bags of mulch, couple bags of mushroom compost, 2 containers of fertilizer and some garden staples. Thankfully on Sunday, the plants were buy 1 get 1 but still I don't even want to look at the final tally.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Followup on what I posted. I mostly weeded the vegie garden today. Heaps of weeds. Filled a not insignificant amount of the trailer with them. For some reason half of the weeds WERE NOT ATTACHED TO THE GROUND. I found sugar ants. Maybe they ate the roots?
Anyway, going to be nuking the ants into oblivion, fertilising and planting I think.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
It's ready! New fence this year (plus a whole new back yard basically)

Come on May 24th weekend.

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 19, 2010

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
The weather was good! So I started my seeds.
Now the weather is bad. gently caress the weather. Who heard of snow in mid April anyway?

What the hell, radishes? Where did you all come from? I need to get you into a bigger pot while we prepare the garden.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Hey lettuce - stop it already!

Spinach? Is that you?

Also have zucchini, peas, peppers, other stuff sprouting. I really hope it starts getting permanently warmer :sigh: central Mass, by the way.

All the plants the previous owner of the house planted were ripped up last year... or so we THOUGHT! Seriously, those roots must've hidden themselves well.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Sorry to burst your bubble, but radishes (and most other root vegetables) don't transplant well. They should be direct seeded.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

MarshallX posted:

It's ready! New fence this year (plus a whole new back yard basically)

Come on May 24th weekend.

This is probably a stupid question, but considering how little light seems to be getting there in the picture, do you think you have enough sunlight between the houses shadow, the fences thickness, and the lining fences? They seem like they would create this sunless patch.

Thus far I've cheated and used those jiffy pots for my tomatoes. I never realized how much they improve germination, but sadly now I've got way more plants than I intended.

mugrim fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 19, 2010

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

mugrim posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but considering how little light seems to be getting there in the picture, do you think you have enough sunlight between the houses shadow, the fences thickness, and the lining fences? They seem like they would create this sunless patch.

Thus far I've cheated and used those jiffy pots for my tomatoes. I never realized how much they improve germination, but sadly now I've got way more plants than I intended.

Yeah, this is really early in the morning. The sun comes up over the house behind me and that spot gets full sunlight for 10+ hours a day. Actually you can see the peak of my house on the fence, about another hour and its full sunlight (7AM) to about 5PM when it dips behind the fence. Last year I had a fence that was less area and my leaves got alot of sun burn, I'm hoping more protection will prevent that this year.

It works out great, I pulled 100+ tomatoes off my 12 plants last year, as well as 30+ peppers.

Unfortunately I have a huge Slug problem and everything I've tried has failed to get rid of them.

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 19, 2010

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Have you tried a ring of diatomaceous earth around the plant, or around the planting area in general?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Richard Noggin posted:

Have you tried a ring of diatomaceous earth around the plant, or around the planting area in general?

Wonder where I could find that. Time to visit the local garden shop.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

MarshallX posted:

Wonder where I could find that. Time to visit the local garden shop.

Any garden place will probably have it, I know I have seen at Lowe's.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Richard Noggin posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but radishes (and most other root vegetables) don't transplant well. They should be direct seeded.

I know, but the drop below freezing after a week of 70-90 degree weather made things less than ideal for direct seeding. Also the two feet of rain in two days. That sucked.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Abbeh posted:

I know, but the drop below freezing after a week of 70-90 degree weather made things less than ideal for direct seeding. Also the two feet of rain in two days. That sucked.

Fellow MA garden goon here, but Richard is right about that. You're right about the tricky weather here, and how spring teased us around Easter, but root crops transplant poorly, as well as spinach peas and beans. Even things like lettuce if the choice is between transplanting weak, overgrown, leggy seedlings and direct seeding, you should direct seed. Same with zucchini. Once things warm up for good, and they will, that stuff grows amazingly fast. But don't expect the weather to improve any time soon. If you remember last year it was July before it did.

You can think about direct seeding very cold tolerant crops like beets, kale, spinach now, and its cool to have transplants of things that benefit from transplanting going too. But the sad reality is the cold wet weather we had this weekend is typical for this time of year, and we are still going to be sitting on the sidelines for a few more weeks while everyone else is posting pics bragging about how amazing their stuff is.

Edit: Did I read that right, 2 feet of rain? You mean in March? Because in Boston we got somewhere around an inch.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
For the record, I'm in southern NH. My peas and radishes went in I believe the last week in March, all have germinated.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

For the record, I'm in southern NH. My peas and radishes went in I believe the last week in March, all have germinated.

That's what I'm doing today. Peas anyway, I hate radishes. I love Patriot Day! :fsmug:

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Edit: Did I read that right, 2 feet of rain? You mean in March? Because in Boston we got somewhere around an inch.

I'm not even sure I like radishes :ohdear: but I'll keep that stuff in mind for next year. It's my first garden and doing this in the midst of wedding planning and renovating and all that I just didn't have much time to plan out everything.

And yeah, we got two feet in March. Feet. Yep. Some roads are still closed for repairs. Every road between my house and job (except one) were closed for a week. Oh what a week that was. Wayland is still quite damp.

This is my route after the first storm (it was closed for the next week or so):

And those are farms on either side of the road. One of the farms is still a lake and it sucks for them since everyone else is getting started on growing season. This spring has sucked so far.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
Is there a doctor in the house? My poor tomato has fallen and it can't get up.

I bought it from the farmer's market on Saturday morning and planted it that afternoon. The other plants from the same booth are doing great. I can't figure out what happened to my tomato plant. As a reference, it is a Dr. Carolyn tomato plant. It is planted near my patch of beans.

Please goons! Save my tomato!

edit: smaller picture

ScamWhaleHolyGrail fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 19, 2010

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Voting transplant shock. It will probably come out of it.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Richard Noggin posted:

It will probably come out of it.

I don't know. Looks like Bunnicula got a hold of it.

Godfrey
May 29, 2004

Excellent!
look at my lettuce~ :toot:

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

We are also growing some onions and potatoes but its our first attempt at them so they aren't much to look at.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Can someone help me with the cover for my germinating seeds.

I am using a baking tray (old and out of use) that has a 1-1.5" lip on the side and i was germenating seeds in solo cups but today I bought peat cups. I'm more or less starting over and want to cover the set up, but I could not find a tall enough cover at Wal-Mart/Lowes today. Is there some super easy tool around the house i could use and maybe cover it in plastic wrap and put a light on the outside of that?

Short: I feel like there is some easy set up i'm not thinking about to cover my seeds.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited

Godfrey posted:

lettuce

It's like a lettuce wonderland! I don't know if I'd be able to patiently wait for lettuce to grow big enough so that I wouldn't kill it by eating it all.

Also, good news. My tomato plant has rapidly risen from the dead and is standing tall again. I will have beautiful ivory colored tiny tomatoes after all!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Abbeh posted:

I'm not even sure I like radishes :ohdear: but I'll keep that stuff in mind for next year. It's my first garden and doing this in the midst of wedding planning and renovating and all that I just didn't have much time to plan out everything.

And yeah, we got two feet in March. Feet. Yep. Some roads are still closed for repairs. Every road between my house and job (except one) were closed for a week. Oh what a week that was. Wayland is still quite damp.

This is my route after the first storm (it was closed for the next week or so):

And those are farms on either side of the road. One of the farms is still a lake and it sucks for them since everyone else is getting started on growing season. This spring has sucked so far.

Click here for the full 640x392 image.

March was an exceptionally wet month. I live in one of the little purple areas surrounded by the hot pink that got it the worst. They had to sandbag just to keep the trains running and Kenmore station almost flooded. It was the second wettest month in Boston history, only August 1955 was wetter. That month saw Hurricanes Connie and Diane hit within 2 weeks of each other.

Gardening here is a challenge, but all and all we have a decent growing season. Its longer than Vermont where I grew up, the days are long, summer is warm, not blistering, it generally rains enough that you don't have to water that often, our soils tend to be stony but fertile. At least for me, I'm close enough to the coast that although spring is cold, damp and foggy, we escape a lot of early frosts in the fall and you can keep harvesting stuff thru November. You will find that it is easier and more rewarding if you work with the growing season and not fight it.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Few more things accomplished.

Godfrey
May 29, 2004

Excellent!

Smidgen of Pidgeons posted:

It's like a lettuce wonderland! I don't know if I'd be able to patiently wait for lettuce to grow big enough so that I wouldn't kill it by eating it all.

Also, good news. My tomato plant has rapidly risen from the dead and is standing tall again. I will have beautiful ivory colored tiny tomatoes after all!

I grow two kinds of lettuce, the bigger dark green one takes a long time and the light green stuff (I forget their real names) grows really fast and you can eat it while its little, if you do this in mass its called Micro Greens.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Few more things accomplished.

I wish I had a clear space like this, its rather hard to grow stuff in city.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Smidgen of Pidgeons posted:

If you stagger your planting it's really not hard at all to grow some loose leaf lettuce that is more than sufficient for "cut and come again" style harvest. Getting it to germinate is simple as all hell, it's just a matter of picking a lettuce that is suitable to your environment.

puffin
Dec 19, 2000
Extremely nice CS, I'm jealous and I see you're a fellow rebar treillis afficionado. They do work better than cages for my space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.

quote:

Slugs

Copper tape is what I use in my raised bed (16' x 24') around the top. Won't stay sticky forever so a few well placed nails will keep it there. You just have to remember it will also trap the slugs that are already inside.