Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

MarshallX posted:

Wonder where I could find that. Time to visit the local garden shop.

I buy unscented cat litter; 20lb bag at Safeway for $4. Its a bit more dusty than garden store bags but boy is it cheap. Oil spill cleanup bags at auto part stores are also DE and are pretty cheap

Another slug killer is a bowl of beer sunk flush to the ground for slugs to crawl into and drown. Sugar and yeast in water is apparently also a suitable substitute if you're not into "wasting" beer.

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."
/\/\/\
Along with the beer idea, I'm saying gently caress it and spending $100 on a lovely .22 since a pellet gun doesn't kill rabbits so well. They're hellacious in my neighborhood. Unless TFR's resident BB gun expert and current thread regular Nosmoking has a great suggestion for under that $100 price point. Ammo is expensive. :(

I've got all of this that I plan to cram into 340 sq. feet that I just tilled the gently caress out of:
  • 25 peaches and cream sweet corn
  • 12 Waltham butternut squash
  • 13 long zi noodle bean
  • 12 Alaska pea
  • 24 taichung snow pea
  • 18 improved tendergreen garden bean
  • 8 brandywine tomato (developed specifically to grow in the county over :woot:)
  • 8 California wonder pepper
  • 4 tam jalapeno pepper
  • 4 serrano pepper
  • 10 wong bok (one successive planting per week)
  • 8 India mustard (one per week)
  • 10 Paris Island cos lettuce (oohrah! one per week)
  • 8 Arugala (one per week)
  • 20 round leaf spinach (five per week)
  • No telling how many Nantes half long carrots
  • No telling how many sweet Spanish yellow Utah jumbo onions (I like fried onions:mad:)
  • No telling how many bright lights chard
  • 2 burpee hybrid II cucumbers (gently caress these overproduce, so only two)

Lots of poo poo for grilling, burger dressing, stir fries, and general deep frying that would go great with cheap beer. I'm living on a houseboat this summer yet again due to work managing a campground half a mile from where my parents keep their houseboat, so guess who's getting cirrhosis and artery clogging from a poo poo load of my own lovely cooking this summer? :toot:

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

TheFuglyStik posted:

Along with the beer idea, I'm saying gently caress it and spending $100 on a lovely .22 since a pellet gun doesn't kill rabbits so well. They're hellacious in my neighborhood. Unless TFR's resident BB gun expert and current thread regular Nosmoking has a great suggestion for under that $100 price point. Ammo is expensive. :(

And yet again, I sniff out an airgun mention on the internet!!

First off, fence in your garden to protect it from critters. If you are unwilling to fence in your garden, you're going to have to sit there all drat day (though mostly at dawn and dusk) to get your rabbits.

I suggest the Benjamin 392, a .22 caliber pump pneumatic. A round nose or wadcutter (flat point) .22 pellet at 650-675 feet per second will humanely kill a rabbit out to 30 yards or so with reasonable care taken in shot placement. The rifle can be had for around $100 on sale and a Williams peep sight is about $30 and makes the rifle much easier to shoot to its potential.

The other decent option is the Crosman Quest 1000.

I'm nowhere near as fond of the .177 as I am of the .22 for hunting and pest control of larger animals, but the Quest is a decently powerful air rifle that can be counted on to kill rabbits with heart/lung hits. The Quest 1000X comes with a simple, but "good enough" scope (fixed 4X IIRC) and it often retails on special for right around $100 and it's widely available.

Or, you can go loving bonkers and spend 10X or more for your garden protection.

Beeman RX-2 and RWS 48

BSA Lightning XL and Beeman R9

Air Arms TX-200 and Weirauch HW-97K

Edit: Got my seeds started in the peat pots and got the square foot gardening beds and deck containers all ready for planting this weekend.

Damiana
Feb 15, 2008
Title Placeholder
I have two tomato plants right next to each other and one of them is big, bushy and green and the other is smaller and a bit more yellow on the edges. They are both the same type, planted at the same time and producing flowers. Why must one look sickly? :(

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

I just went through my little 5 gallon compost bucket and took out a bunch of last year's pole bean vines that weren't breaking down fast enough. My worms seem to be healthy and happy, although I wonder why they haven't started reproducing yet. It's been relatively warm for a while and I figured I'd see their little egg cocoons or baby worms by now.

In any event, I should be able to use the compost for this year's pole beans when I put them out (probably around the first of May). Should be putting out my tomatoes and cucumbers around that time too. Once they're out on the porch I'm going to set up an herb garden underneath the grow lights. :)

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

NosmoKing posted:

:black101: about keeping critters out of the garden

Fencing is something I'm considering due to all that waiting and watching. I'm going to be away for a few days at a time a lot this summer. It may not help much with the squirrels and deer, but it's better than letting every animal that wants easy food at my expense have their way. Two dogs don't do that much when we bring them in at night.

I'll be on the lookout for a Benjamin 392. We've got plenty of firepower at my house, but extremely overkill .30-06, 5.56 and 7.62 flying around at 5AM might not go over so well with the neighbors.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

TheFuglyStik posted:

Fencing is something I'm considering due to all that waiting and watching.

If you don't want to do something pretty and permanent like MarshallX's picket fence, there's always the old standard chicken-wire and some stakes, up only when you need it. You can roll it up around a tomato stand and store it somewhere out of sight when you don't need it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
It pays to shop around. Even driving to another town. I got some round up (Glyphosate) and a 5L spray pack.

I ended up getting 1L round up from the local rural supply store for $19 as opposed to the hardware store in another town at $54. Got the spray pack at the hardware store for $20. At the rural supply store it would have been over $60. Talk about disparate prices!

Confirm / deny. glyphosate disrupts the chlorophyll processes in the plant essentially causing it to die. This would be useless on seeds / roots, wouldn't it?

I mostly got it for the yard which I have been fighting a war with weeds on (and losing) but would like to use it to 'purify' my vegie garden before re-planting.

Also Cats. What sort of fence can I put up to keep them out of the garden?
It only needs to be on two sides as the other two sides are garage and ridiculously over engineered 6' steel fence.
The light comes in from the unfenced sides pretty well. Generally the issue is too much heat / light in the warmer months and I am considering encasing in shade cloth.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

puffin posted:

Extremely nice CS, I'm jealous and I see you're a fellow rebar treillis afficionado. They do work better than cages for my space.

Actually fence posts but no practical difference I guess. Last year I built this big pyramid out of bamboo for my cucumbers but it was pretty well shot by the end of the season.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

General_Failure posted:

Confirm / deny. glyphosate disrupts the chlorophyll processes in the plant essentially causing it to die. This would be useless on seeds / roots, wouldn't it?

Wikipedia :science: posted:

Glyphosate kills plants by interfering with the synthesis of the amino acids phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan. It does this by inhibiting the enzyme 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate synthase (EPSPS), which catalyzes the reaction of shikimate-3-phosphate (S3P) and phosphoenolpyruvate to form 5-enolpyruvyl-shikimate-3-phosphate (ESP). ESP is subsequently dephosphorylated to chorismate, an essential precursor in plants for the aromatic amino acids: phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan.[11][12] These amino acids are used as building blocks in peptides, and to produce secondary metabolites such as folates, ubiquinones and naphthoquinone. X-ray crystallographic studies of glyphosate and EPSPS show that glyphosate functions by occupying the binding site of the phosphoenol pyruvate, mimicking an intermediate state of the ternary enzyme substrates complex.[13] The shikimate pathway is not present in animals, which instead obtain aromatic amino acids from their diet. Glyphosate has also been shown to inhibit other plant enzymes[14][15], and also has been found to affect animal enzymes.[16]

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Richard Noggin posted:

quotes.

Thanks for that. I vaguely understand it too.
Might read up on the affecting animal enzymes bit too. I knew it did I just want to know what it did to me... I mean does to people who accidentally get it all over themself.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Costello Jello posted:

If you don't want to do something pretty and permanent like MarshallX's picket fence, there's always the old standard chicken-wire and some stakes, up only when you need it. You can roll it up around a tomato stand and store it somewhere out of sight when you don't need it.

This is what I used for the past 2 years. 1x2 pressure treated built into a vague fence shape and wrapped in chicken wire.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Having a tomato problem. No bugs on the plants.

The lettuce is really starting to lettuce it up

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I'd like some advice. Two weeks ago I planted some pre-sprouted habanero chili plants into a pot to grow next to my window.

The tag says they should be planted a foot apart, here you see I crammed six into a pot. In the last few weeks they've thrived though. Should I consider buying two more pots and putting two in each? (3 pots, two plants in each). As it stands, they have plenty of sunlight next to my window. The coldest they get is 70* and on warm days they go outside to the porch.

The second question is about aphids. I noticed a few of those buggers on my babies. Should I grab some repellent? Should I dump some ladybugs into the pot? Pick them off with tweezers? Or let them be?

Bonus shot of a 7th plant that randomly sprouted last week:

edit/ I want to stress that I'm not a gardener. I got these on a whim but after two weeks, I'm sort of attached and want what's best for the baby peppers

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 22, 2010

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Peppers like to be crowded but not that much. Give them a little room and prune them right once they're taller and you should be quite pleased with the yield. Keep them in the sun and keep them warm and they'll be happy.

For the aphids a mild detergent mixture sprayed under the leaves is usually effective.

mischief fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 22, 2010

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Richard Noggin posted:

Shade cloth is more like window screening...hint hint.
However old sail-cloth is a really, really great shade cloth which can keep pests off your stuff as well as protect against freak frosts. It's also so burly you can throw it into the washer/dryer when it gets fugly.

If you think you can use window-screen material for a shade cloth, double it up. Shade cloth is a bit more than window screen.

NosmoKing posted:

I suggest the Benjamin 392, a .22 caliber pump pneumatic. A round nose or wadcutter (flat point) .22 pellet at 650-675 feet per second will humanely kill a rabbit out to 30 yards or so with reasonable care taken in shot placement. The rifle can be had for around $100 on sale and a Williams peep sight is about $30 and makes the rifle much easier to shoot to its potential.

The other decent option is the Crosman Quest 1000.

I'm nowhere near as fond of the .177 as I am of the .22 for hunting and pest control of larger animals, but the Quest is a decently powerful air rifle that can be counted on to kill rabbits
I have killed dozens of nutria (a water-living animal the size of an otter or small-medium dog) with a .177 break-action air rifle exactly like the one in that second picture. Just because you've got a bigger caliber slug doesn't mean you're going to do more damage to your target.

If you're REALLY into some :fuckoff: damage to pests though, get a nice high-FPS .177 air rifle, and then take a pocket knife and put a little "X" across the tip of each pellet you're going to fire. Instant hollow point.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 23, 2010

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

coyo7e posted:

However old sail-cloth is a really, really great shade cloth which can keep pests off your stuff as well as protect against freak frosts. It's also so burly you can throw it into the washer/dryer when it gets fugly.

If you think you can use window-screen material for a shade cloth, double it up. Shade cloth is a bit more than window screen.
I have killed dozens of nutria (a water-living animal the size of an otter or small-medium dog) with a .177 break-action air rifle exactly like the one in that second picture. Just because you've got a bigger caliber slug doesn't mean you're going to do more damage to your target.

If you're REALLY into some :fuckoff: damage to pests though, get a nice high-FPS .177 air rifle, and then take a pocket knife and put a little "X" across the tip of each pellet you're going to fire. Instant hollow point.

Aren't Coypu just glorified rats?
nothing like that should be so big.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Glorified rats the size of medium dogs that eat lollipops!

Click here for the full 504x756 image.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Ugh, nutria!

Can anyone help solve this mystery? Something is eating my plants but very slowly. I saw a few aphids early on but after taking care of those haven't seen any back. I have my planter netted down with the sides firmly stapled so nothing is going to get under the net like a raccoon without it being obvious because they'd have to rip up the net to get in. I have been using DE for snails but I've only seen a couple total, and none actually in the planter.

The way the plants have been disappearing is subtle. No spots on leaves, no holes in the leaves. Yesterday I saw there was a little chomp on the end of one of my crook-neck squashes, and this morning the leaves were eaten down to the stem. But none of my other veggies were touched, and I have about 12 plants in that planter right now, maybe more. There was another squash on the other side of the little hill of dirt and it wasn't touched. The net wasn't disturbed, and I couldn't find anything like caterpillars or snails or even snail trails.

So what is eating them?

eso
Feb 17, 2005
I too have a leaf-eating problem...

I just transplanted outside to containers my precious tomato plants I started from seed, but when I got home and excitedly went to check on them, all the leaves were gone from their little stems.

I'm gardening on a 13th floor balcony, so it had to have been birds. Are there any good ways to scare off or otherwise keep birds away?

*edit* My tiny basil's leaves were nibbled away too... I don't know how viable this balcony gardening thing's gonna be if this happens on the first day.

eso fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 23, 2010

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach

Abbeh posted:

Glorified rats the size of medium dogs that eat lollipops!

Click here for the full 504x756 image.

Gah! It's right on the edge of cute, but then you see those feet. And that tail! Hand me the .22.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

eso posted:

I too have a leaf-eating problem...

I just transplanted outside to containers my precious tomato plants I started from seed, but when I got home and excitedly went to check on them, all the leaves were gone from their little stems.

I'm gardening on a 13th floor balcony, so it had to have been birds. Are there any good ways to scare off or otherwise keep birds away?

*edit* My tiny basil's leaves were nibbled away too... I don't know how viable this balcony gardening thing's gonna be if this happens on the first day.

Awww, that's so sad. :( Gardening tears your heart out.

Well, I would have said try the netting but I am not sure it's keeping the birds out for me. I have a hard time imagining them working in the middle of the night. The netting is about 6" above the plants right now, so how could they reach it?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I decided to be daring and plant some veggies this year, make a little porch garden. Of course I'm totally clueless since I've never really been successful, even when planting in a larger garden (but that was more due to various animals eating everything)

So I have cucumbers:

Some sort of squash:

And tomatoes:

I'm guessing since they're so tall that I should transplant them deeper, but that has to wait until tomorrow because I'm out of pots and dirt. Any other tips?

Jesa
Dec 3, 2007

beep beep
I'm in Houston...zone 9a. At the moment I have a slew of herbs, some beans, sweet potatoes, ginger, and some peppers going. This is my first time with non-ornamental sweet potatoes, but I am pretty sure they are fairly hands off and easy. This is also my first attempt at beans, and I really don't know if it will be a success or not. I just started a worm compost on my patio. I live in an apartment, but I get a great amount of sun. I am familiar with composting, but this is my first time with vermicomposting. I got my worms Friday morning, and so far things are good, though I didn't realize how hot it would get on my patio so I spent a little time today providing them with more shade.

Any one out there have any tips for me in regards to making sure my worm compost is happy?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

KariOhki posted:

And tomatoes:

I'm guessing since they're so tall that I should transplant them deeper, but that has to wait until tomorrow because I'm out of pots and dirt. Any other tips?

You really can't keep tomato plants in clusters like that or they can tangle and grow crooked. Also, each one should end up in a container that holds at least 2 gallons of dirt. I usually grow mine in 5+ gallon pots just so they don't topple over.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Well, the first set was just the starter pots, those are gonna be thinned out to one plant.

And...that's lots of dirt. Hm. I might end up with one in the end, but I guess I'll end up letting these plants die off instead.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Well, my basil plant is dead. I bought a starter a couple of weeks ago and put it outside with all my other plants, but it started to look a little wilty after a few days so I brought it inside since nighttime temps decided to shoot back down into the low 40s/high 30s. It looked fine in my kitchen next to the aloe vera that's been happily growing for a year, but suddenly the leaves turned a dark brown, wilted over, and died in the space of about a day. It looked like some sort of white fuzzy mold had climbed up on one leaf and then infected the whole plant. When I picked up the pot (terracotta), almost one whole side of the pot--on the OUTSIDE--was covered in the same light white fuzz. Scrubbing the pot got rid of it, and the aloe vera next to it (also in a terracotta pot) was completely unaffected.

What sort of fungus or mold would grow on the outside of a pot, indoors? Was it an infected basil plant before I even bought it? To be on the safe side, should I toss the dirt the basil was growing in so if I reuse the pot, the same horrible plague won't strike again?

Rooster286
Dec 18, 2000

Dr. Rooster Smart, PhD
It's always a good idea to dispose of fungal potting medium, just to be safe.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

By "dispose of" you mean "incinerate" right?

(I hope.)

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I'd sterilize that pot as well, personally. Fungal spores can be quite tenacious. What I've done in the past is soak the pot overnight in a 1:10 bleach and water solution. If it's a plastic pot, you can then scrub once, rinse with water and let dry. If it's terracotta, it can hold some of the bleach to leach out later and change pH, so you should soak it again the next day in a plain water solution, before letting dry.

El Bano
Mar 30, 2008
Unfortunately, I have started getting buds on my spinach, so I guess it's time to plow it over.

I am getting flies around my boxes that look something like the one in this photo:
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/406/406bfbbe86c3185bb6d617e3f09bbafe_344.jpg

Is this a problem? Right now, I don't have any fruit type plants going, only root and leaf plants, but when my cukes and tomatos come in, will these flies cause a problem?

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

It was kinda nice yesterday so I put my cucumbers out and wound them up a trellis, figuring they had to go outside since they were getting flowers already and that there shouldn't be that many more chilly nights left.

Then I come home from work at 9 PM and see the frost advisory. They're a total loss. gently caress YOU, WISCONSIN AND YOUR RANDOM WEATHER. :argh:

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

El Bano posted:

fly guy

Green bottle fly? I don't believe they're harmful to plants.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Chajara posted:

Then I come home from work at 9 PM and see the frost advisory. They're a total loss. gently caress YOU, WISCONSIN AND YOUR RANDOM WEATHER. :argh:

My weather this week (MA): Thursday night - low of 29, possible snow. Saturday - high of 84. :psyduck: with any luck Saturday will be planting day, though it's been raining for two days, so who knows. gently caress if this weather makes any sense.

Abbeh fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 29, 2010

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Slung Blade posted:

By "dispose of" you mean "incinerate" right?

(I hope.)
Just toss it out somewhere that you don't care about, works too.

El Bano posted:

Unfortunately, I have started getting buds on my spinach, so I guess it's time to plow it over.

I am getting flies around my boxes that look something like the one in this photo:
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/406/406bfbbe86c3185bb6d617e3f09bbafe_344.jpg

Is this a problem? Right now, I don't have any fruit type plants going, only root and leaf plants, but when my cukes and tomatos come in, will these flies cause a problem?
Bottle flies are plain old poop-sniffing flies, they may be interested in the fertilizer, or if there are livestock in the area they probably just wandered in from that. Fishy fertilizer will get them interested but I don't think they can do any damage to anything except turds and already-rotting fruits and stuff.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 29, 2010

nationalism
Feb 25, 2006

"not gay"

935 posted:

I want to stress that I'm not a gardener. I got these on a whim but after two weeks, I'm sort of attached and want what's best for the baby peppers
Yeah you probably don't want more than 1-2, maybe 2-3 if you are using good soil and fertilizers. Also peppers usually prefer it very hot and very bright, so indoors might not be best. CFL lightbulbs are in the right spectrum for plant growth, so if you can put an inconspicuous lamp or something near the plant that will improve growth, or better yet put them outside in full sun.

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

"You're leading the innocent astray..."
I'd like some advice on my egglpants...I put them into the ground aaaages ago, and they've really thrived. The problem is, that they're not really producing much fruit. There are 6 plants in total... and they've grown HUGE. Some reaching 5 feet tall. They've been covered in flowers for about 2 months now. We've only really had 2 good fruit off them. Mostly the flowers drop off, or the fruit has little holes in it - and then when you cut it open, it's rotting from the inside out!!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

clam posted:

I'd like some advice on my egglpants...I put them into the ground aaaages ago, and they've really thrived. The problem is, that they're not really producing much fruit. There are 6 plants in total... and they've grown HUGE. Some reaching 5 feet tall. They've been covered in flowers for about 2 months now. We've only really had 2 good fruit off them. Mostly the flowers drop off, or the fruit has little holes in it - and then when you cut it open, it's rotting from the inside out!!

I don't know much about eggplants but that sounds very similar to what can happen if you fertilize tomatoes with too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus and potassium. Have you fertilized them at all? From the growth it sounds like they are getting consistent water, I see recommended is 2" a week, is that consistent? But, if I had to guess site unseen, I'd put money on blossom end rot which is normally due to a lack of calcium in the ground.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Sounds like they're trying to set and not getting pollinated. Pick up some marigolds or some other kind of flower from your local market to bring some more bees your way, might help.

Also make your watering consistent. If you water irregularly it can cause problems, as Anubis pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I want to remove a small (~5" diameter at the trunk) cherry tree from my yard, because it's growing sideways and taking up prime garden area. Can I just cut it at the base or will it regrow? I plan to build a planter box in the area after the removal, so do I need to worry about getting rid of the roots or will the ground reclaim them naturally?