Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lum posted:

It's not a special custom tag. It's part of the bloody MP3 format and thus the alteration is supported in all players.

Replay Gain and MP3 Gain both do the exact same thing.

The actual sound data is not edited, just a tag is put in to say "volume needs to go up by 3db kthxbye". It's as destructive as adding album art or artist/track information.

Can't you set MP3 Gain to actually edit the file itself though? As in it bumps all of the volume up, and writes a tag saying how much it's been changed so it can be reversed - that way your files will be normalised for anything that plays them, without needing Replay Gain functionality in the player. I think he wants to avoid this kind of thing since 'turning it off' requires reprocessing the entire library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

It plainly and simply never touches the MP3 bit-stream. It doesn't write a tag for the original values so it can revert- the tag itself is what tells the player to play it that much louder. Y'all are dense.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

VectorSigma posted:

It plainly and simply never touches the MP3 bit-stream. It doesn't write a tag for the original values so it can revert- the tag itself is what tells the player to play it that much louder. Y'all are dense.

I don't know why you seem to be taking it so personally, but I did quote the replay gain wiki on the last page which said:

quote:

Replay Gain utilities usually add metadata to the audio files without altering the original audio data. Otherwise, a tool can amplify the data itself and save the result to another, gain-adjusted audio file; this is not perfectly reversible in most cases.

Got any suggestions as to what that means?

And the mp3gain site says that you can run the program, and then transfer the files to the mp3 player of your choice (including non replay gain supported players) and still have the louder track which to me pretty obviously means it has altered the actual sound file itself.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

AquaVita posted:

I don't know why you seem to be taking it so personally, but I did quote the replay gain wiki on the last page which said:
[/b]

Got any suggestions as to what that means?

And the mp3gain site says that you can run the program, and then transfer the files to the mp3 player of your choice (including non replay gain supported players) and still have the louder track which to me pretty obviously means it has altered the actual sound file itself.

It either messes with a tag for how much the volume should be adjusted, or it changes it in the file itself, and then saves it. It's only non-reversible if it's amplified so loud that there's clipping.

useful
Mar 8, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXQJ8msYDh0

Is it even possible to stream a rdp connection to an xbox extender like this video? I have video setup just fine but if I could show a remote desktop that would be awesome.

Is he just connecting to another PC that is connected to the TV?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Having actually bothered to read the MP3gain documentation so you guys would stop flailing at each other, what it actually does is this:

The MP3 format (ignoring the tags, I'm talking about the sound encoding here) as most of you probably know already is divided into frames in a stream. Those frames also have some metadata associated with them which is effectively a gain multiplier. MP3gain hacks around with this so that it can increase or decrease the volume of the whole track or even specific parts of the track in steps of 1.5db.

So, it's not the same as 'standard' replay gain. However, it is still non-destructive. Modifying the gain multiplier does not require re-encoding the audio and, as the MP3gain site says, is completely reversible. The only caveat is that it's only reversible by MP3gain; MP3gain writes some tags so that it knows what it's done to the gain multiplier in the file and can reverse it. If, for any reason, those tags were to disappear then you'd be screwed and have to go get the MP3 again from source.

tl;dr: MP3gain is non-destructive but doesn't work how most other replay gain implementations works and carries with it some extra risk. If you want 'standard' replay gain go use winamp or something.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
So I finally got my Windows 7 install back to using regular small fonts everywhere after accidentally reinstalling with my TV hooked up saw it at 120dpi instead of 96dpi, even after changing the setting for the current user back.

In addition to setting it back to 96dpi for the current user, the default user in the registry, and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts to 96, you have to go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts and change Courier, MS Sans Serif, an MS Serif from xxxxF.FON to xxxxE.FON.

They make it so easy!

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
I hate the Windows 7 file manager. Anyone else?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a file manager? I love Directory Opus but I'm not going to pay $75 for it... right now.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Exi7wound posted:

I hate the Windows 7 file manager. Anyone else?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a file manager? I love Directory Opus but I'm not going to pay $75 for it... right now.

What do you hate about it?

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
xplorer2 lite is free and the pro version is $30.

madprocess posted:

What do you hate about it?

Lack of dual-panes and/or tabs. "Move/copy to opposite pane" is an incredibly useful feature which can't be replicated by having two Explorer windows. I don't use 99% of the billions of extra poo poo that xplorer2 has, I just use it for dual-panes.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
XYplorer is good too (but no 64 bit, so right click menus are missing things). xplorer2 has a good x64 version.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Windows explorer is fine for me but I'd like it 100 times more if I could get QTTabbar to work in it like I could in XP to add tabs to standard explorer.

e: Though I may have to try this later.
http://wde.codeplex.com/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 18, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

redeyes posted:

The one thing UAC falls flat with is when you mount a HD from another computer. It will simply not give you admin access to folders that need that. I either have to change ownership or reboot with UAC off.

Why aren't you just giving everyone modify rights to the whole drive if you're going to be hopping it across multiple computers? This same thing happened with XP/2000 and external drives formatted in NTFS.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How good is the ProgramData redirection? On XP I put Program Files and Documents & Settings on a separate partition vi unattend.sif or whatever it was, so I could nuke the OS install without touching my data. I could go from inserting the CD to being back up and running with the commonly used programs in 45 minutes. I tried the same with 7 and and it's a pain in the rear end because you have to install, boot into a live CD environment and copy program files from C: to D: and symlink. A hardware failure and replacement motherboard means I need to reinstall and I'm wondering if I can just dump it all onto the C: drive and copy Users and ProgramData to a different drive when I need to reinstall.

tl;dr I don't want to think too much when reinstalling, can I trust that poo poo won't end up in Program Files and really get redirected to ProgramData? I assume that if I run a program as admin it will still write saved data to Program Files?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I wish I could get rid of the left pane sometimes. Windows feel cramped too much. I wish I could mod the top windows as well and scrunch the space up as well, minimalizing the whole thing. I've never seen a skin for windows 7 that isn't basically just adding some new color or background though, unfortunately.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Hung Yuri posted:

I wish I could get rid of the left pane sometimes. Windows feel cramped too much. I wish I could mod the top windows as well and scrunch the space up as well, minimalizing the whole thing. I've never seen a skin for windows 7 that isn't basically just adding some new color or background though, unfortunately.

The left pane of what? Explorer? Just turn it off.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

c0burn posted:

The left pane of what? Explorer? Just turn it off.

Organize > Layout > Navigation Pane, to be specific

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In XP the status bar at the bottom of an explorer window would tell you the size of the folder or an individual file if you clicked on it. Can I turn that functionality on in 7?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

GreenNight posted:

In XP the status bar at the bottom of an explorer window would tell you the size of the folder or an individual file if you clicked on it. Can I turn that functionality on in 7?

Not by default, but you can install something, I want to say it's called Windows 7 Classic? Which will add that and a few other features in.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Ok, so I have a problem.

I bought a netbook a few days ago, and it came with a stock 310GB hdd. It came with a Win 7 Home Premium x86 installed. I loaded it up, put in the serial on the bottom of the laptop, and I checked to see if there was a recovery disk on the hard disk that I could use for the SSD that I purchased to replace the current drive. There was none.

So I used a Win 7 Home Premium x64 copy that I had gotten off of MSDNAA way back when when I installed the SSD. Yes it's x64, but that shouldn't matter at all, right? Anyway, when I went to put in the serial to make it genuine, the serial had already been entered onto the other drive the first time I booted it up.

loving d'oh

So now I only have one day left on this thing. How do I get the serial replaced? If I call Microsoft support, will they wipe it for me and allow me to use it a second time?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Johnny B. Goode posted:

So now I only have one day left on this thing. How do I get the serial replaced? If I call Microsoft support, will they wipe it for me and allow me to use it a second time?

Do the phone activation. When they ask how many computers the copy is installed on, always reply with '1' or 'just this computer.'

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
Netflix on Windows Media Center now supports HD streaming.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to put the power management icon in the notification area on a desktop system? I want to be able to quickly switch between balanced and high performance without having to open control panel up.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Just a quick testament for folks out there who think they are safe and don't need to worry about virus/trojans/malware.

DO NOT TURN OFF UAC!! DO NOT TURN OFF UAC!!
I had to disable UAC to properly install some antiquated piece of Bankruptcy software a few weeks back, and forgot to enable it again. Yesterday I received notice from Microsoft Security Essentials that I was being hit by drive by attacks. I wasn't browsing the web, or doing anything other than passively being connected to wireless internet, and several security risks were attempting to compromise my system.

This is all despite MSE running, a secure hosts file blacklisting all kinds of poo poo, and generally not venturing into the seedier side of the web or installing moronic applications/toolbars/garbage.

It can happen to anyone.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

How good is the ProgramData redirection? On XP I put Program Files and Documents & Settings on a separate partition vi unattend.sif or whatever it was, so I could nuke the OS install without touching my data. I could go from inserting the CD to being back up and running with the commonly used programs in 45 minutes. I tried the same with 7 and and it's a pain in the rear end because you have to install, boot into a live CD environment and copy program files from C: to D: and symlink. A hardware failure and replacement motherboard means I need to reinstall and I'm wondering if I can just dump it all onto the C: drive and copy Users and ProgramData to a different drive when I need to reinstall.

tl;dr I don't want to think too much when reinstalling, can I trust that poo poo won't end up in Program Files and really get redirected to ProgramData? I assume that if I run a program as admin it will still write saved data to Program Files?

The redirects work fine (assuming you aren't running the program as admin, then it goes wherever it wants), since it is just the new C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\. Stuff that programs try to write in to Program Files gets redirected by the virtualstore to %userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. So long as you restore your ProgramData and Users directories everything should be fine (aside from needing to do some permissions cleanup).

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to put the power management icon in the notification area on a desktop system? I want to be able to quickly switch between balanced and high performance without having to open control panel up.

Try using the presentation mode thing. I think there is a winkey shortcut to it.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Win + X is the mobility center which would have power management options, win + P is display/projector toggle but I don't know what the gently caress that would have to do with power management.

If a gadget isn't too obtrusive you could probably find one that will let you switch power modes, they are a dime a dozen on Microsoft's assbackwards gadget site.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Presentation mode turns off the sleep, display turn-off timers which is what I assume to goal was by rapidly changing power profiles.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don't know if this is the best place to ask but what is the best freeware Hex editor to download for Windows 7?

Thanks
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 22, 2010

IEatBabies
Sep 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't know if this is the best place to ask but what is the best freeware Hex editor to download for Windows 7?

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

It hasn't been updated in a long while, but it works fine for me.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I have 2 monitors, 2 users. It's a small thing really, but when I go to the switch users screen, Windows 7 decides to disable the 2nd monitor which causes both monitors to go into "no signal" mode for a bit then come out. It's pretty quick but just annoying.

I'm assuming it's because the SYSTEM account doesn't have dual monitors enabled or wherever tsdiscon.exe sends me doesn't have dual monitors. Both profiles are running at native res, both are configured pretty much the same. Anyone have any ideas?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is it possible to make a program always run with 1 processor core? I'm trying to run a old game on W7 and to help make it work I need to open up the processes tool menu each time I run the program and change the Set Affinity to one core. The problem is it resets each time I close out of the program. Is there a way to make it a permanent change for that specific program?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it possible to make a program always run with 1 processor core? I'm trying to run a old game on W7 and to help make it work I need to open up the processes tool menu each time I run the program and change the Set Affinity to one core. The problem is it resets each time I close out of the program. Is there a way to make it a permanent change for that specific program?

There's a tool called imgcfg that will modify the EXE and you can force it to only run on cores you specify.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There's a tool called imgcfg that will modify the EXE and you can force it to only run on cores you specify.

Thanks.

And incidentally, is there any reason why under Direct X version in the DXDiag utility it says 6.01.7600.16385 instead of 10, which I should have?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thanks.

And incidentally, is there any reason why under Direct X version in the DXDiag utility it says 6.01.7600.16385 instead of 10, which I should have?

That's just the build number for the diag tool, not which version of DirectX you have installed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That's just the build number for the diag tool, not which version of DirectX you have installed.

Yeah I realized that I had open the information about the DXDiag tool rather than the tool itself. Opps :shobon:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Presentation mode turns off the sleep, display turn-off timers which is what I assume to goal was by rapidly changing power profiles.
I want to be able to switch quickly between balanced and high performance because some applications, especially when I'm doing pro audio, are less stable when the multiplier is constantly changing. Balanced is fine for most of what I do though, so I switch often to maximize power savings when possible.

korgy
Sep 16, 2006

I have a linksys WMP54G and I believe we all know the troubles of the compatibility with Windows 7. I had the latest drivers from linksys and it gave me download speeds of 20 mb/s and it had bad latency while gaming. I went with the RalinkTech drivers on their site since its the same chipset and it improved the latency a bit but the download speed went down to 13 mb/s. The speeds are from speedtest.net. Any other suggestions that I may try before I just get another card? Wired is not an option at this time.

EDIT: I tested my laptop and it gets a consistent 20 mb/s so it's definitely not the internet that is fluctuating. I think I might get this card if anyone knows anything about it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320048

korgy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 26, 2010

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Windows says it's not genuine. It was genuine right up until a couple of days ago. What's going on? :confused:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Rekkit posted:

Windows says it's not genuine. It was genuine right up until a couple of days ago. What's going on? :confused:

Sometimes perfectly legitimate copies of Vista/7 refuse to activate over the internet or lose their activation after a couple days in my experience. Try using the automated phone system.

The phone system will ask you to say numbers out loud, but a touchtone phone will also work. It's also faster and won't annoy those around you. I think "1" is repeat and "2" is continue.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Zorilla posted:

Sometimes perfectly legitimate copies of Vista/7 refuse to activate over the internet or lose their activation after a couple days in my experience. Try using the automated phone system.

The phone system will ask you to say numbers out loud, but a touchtone phone will also work. It's also faster and won't annoy those around you. I think "1" is repeat and "2" is continue.

Phone lady said no go. My key was blocked. Grrr..