Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

poxin posted:

In the spirit of all things nixie, here is my project I "finished" a little while ago, just a simple clock. Still trying to get the code working as it's only been a paperweight for months.

That is the only nixie clock that looks good. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sn00gle
Mar 17, 2008

Aussie Auto Annihilator
My new project is this Old Roadmaster girls bike:

Planning to strip it and paint it(haven't decided on a colour yet, suggestions?), change all the bearings, buy some twistee parts for it. Should be a lot of fun.

I also have an off road kick scooter I'm working on.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I started my long board press today, and am making it out of reclaimed oak planks.

I also picked up some cheap plywood at the lumber supplier, these are all topsheets from when stuff is shipped, it will be perfect for some test decks.

It included a sheet of baltic birch. :dong:

Here is the largest piece of oak after being planed and having one side jointed.

Here is the cut up pile of plywood, cut in 4 1/2 foot and 3 1/2 respectively.
The longest one is for the bottom of the press.

A couple test curves.

The 3 1/2 foot birch.

Hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have a test board in the press, and can be riding around on a ghetto plywood board by the end of the week.

The press is just going to be simple and hopefully I can start making some boards with some rich mahogany veneers on them.

I am going to pull a Ron Swanson and start leaving furniture quality longboards in my friends offices.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

cultureulterior posted:

Oh, it took me ages, but it can probably be done in a long weekend by someone who is dedicated and who has all his tools ready, especially as they now sell the electronics almost complete.

Calibrating it is a bit of a chore, however, and I'm still not done with that- the cup can't hold water yet, for example.

I'm calibrating my own CupCake at the moment - following this tutorial to calibrate the Carve and Extrusion Width parameters in Skeinforge. I've not had much luck so far though - mostly everything I do makes the prints come out worse. I print a 2x2 Lego brick as a test as well; either the head tends to drag through the plastic, or the walls don't get any infill. The plastic also seems to keep flowing long after the extruder motor is stopped.

I'm bad at photos but here are all the calibration prints I've been doing:

On the plus side, I've had a few moderately successful prints:

This 2x2 block actually fits an official Lego block!

This is a little crank for adjusting the Z-stage by hand, which is a little better than pulling on the belt.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Fib posted:

This is a little crank for adjusting the Z-stage by hand, which is a little better than pulling on the belt.

That's a good idea.

Currently I'm seeing a lot of Z-stage slippage, which I haven't really fixed.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Big update for my guitar build.

First off, Truss Rod!

Fretboard inlays (they're paisleys)

About where I'm at now. (taken before inlays)

I think I'm going to reshape the body near the control cover to follow the plate better. It may not look the greatest, but I'm real proud of myself :unsmith:

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I completed my press!
Spent most of yesterday working on this and got a board in it at like 2 am last night.

I got 3 pics taken before my camera decide to give up the ghost.

Then I finished assembly last night and and put a couple of pieces of ply in to test the shape.

The reclaimed oak is pretty, since its all weathered and full of worm holes. :nature:

Pics are horrible because I had to use photobooth on my hackentosh netbook.
Empty Press

top of press

2 sheets of ply glued with 4 hour epoxy

Crappy blank ready to cut.

The plan is to try to make a drop thru, I just need to borrow my buddies boards so I can make some traces.
It looks pretty smooth except, that I need to take the belt sander to the press an fix the angle on a couple of the ribs.

All this was done with out any plans except for looking at the toothless page. http://users.telenet.be/Toothless/Toothless/pages/instructions/press/press.html
When you make stuff out of scraps and reclaimed wood it means you have to just MacGyver it and go with your gut.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

About where I'm at now. (taken before inlays)

I think I'm going to reshape the body near the control cover to follow the plate better. It may not look the greatest, but I'm real proud of myself :unsmith:

That looks loving awesome! What color is the body going to be, or are you going with some sort of natural finish that shows off the grain? If you're going with a solid color, maybe you could add an accent color/stripe at the bottom rather than recutting the body? Like, a blue body with a sky blue accent stripe along the bottom, with a white paisley. If not that, then maybe consider adjusting the location and/or shape of the paisley control cover slightly? A burst finish would solve the problem itself. That's a really cool shape guitar you penned, well balanced but unique, and I'd hate to see it change this late in the build.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Hadlock posted:

That looks loving awesome! What color is the body going to be, or are you going with some sort of natural finish that shows off the grain? If you're going with a solid color, maybe you could add an accent color/stripe at the bottom rather than recutting the body? Like, a blue body with a sky blue accent stripe along the bottom, with a white paisley. If not that, then maybe consider adjusting the location and/or shape of the paisley control cover slightly? A burst finish would solve the problem itself. That's a really cool shape guitar you penned, well balanced but unique, and I'd hate to see it change this late in the build.

Thanks! It's going to be stained blue, so the grain will hopefully show through. I forgot to take pictures of the test piece of maple in the blue dye. I'll get them up ASAP. The control cavity itself is already cut so I'll have to work around that if I'm going for a different shape for the paisley. There will be white binding along the edges of the body, so maybe that could work as your proposed accent line?

I should mock up what it would look like in photoshop or something. I haven't had much physical progress this week because work has been hell (overtime on overnights. Ugh.) and I can't work on it too late in the evening. But this weekend I will do some real work!

Thanks for the comments and input. I really appreciate it.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop

Played with a laser cutter today, made a case for my logic analyser.

http://thinkl33t.co.uk/?p=316 for more pictures.

theparag0n fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 30, 2010

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

So to answer what color this will be...

In between the red lines is what I'm shooting for. That's two applications of blue RIT dye. The to the left is one coat, to the right is three.

And guess who stopped being a lazy jerk and finished putting all the fret markers in?!
That's right, ME!

I am so loving eager to finish this, but I really don't want to rush anything.

Welp, off to work!

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

poxin posted:

Yeah, I wanted to keep it as natural as possible. I used something called Howard Feed-n-Wax. I think they sell it at home depot. That stuff smells really good too.

I used Tung oil on this amp -

It produces a great finish, and will get more glossy the more you add to it, so it's nice to stop when you like what you see. It does start out matte, and 8 or 10 coats in starts to get nice and glossy.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
This isn't as awesome as some of the stuff you guys are doing, but I'm building a small slide-in camper for the bed of my truck; it's not as intricate as it sounds because I'm neither electrifying nor plumbing it. It's not meant for luxuriating or anything - just a place to lie down after a hike, fishing or boating that'll be more secure than a tent and that I won't have to take down and stow once I'm ready to break camp. It's something I've not only wanted to do for a long time, but, philosophically, it's something I needed to do at this place in my life.

It's 77" long and 48" wide between the wheels and the shelf that rest on top of them adds a few extra inches on either side. The front wall is going to be even with the cab at 38", but it'll sweep back a bit and then rise to 50". The bunk will fold up to the wall and lock in place revealing cabinets underneath and the back wall next to the bed will have cabinetry as well.

I'm trying to think along the lines of a boat in terms of space optimization.

First fitting.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Ignore the studs in this picture. I had cut only three of them and just stood them up to get an idea of things. Since then, I've added three studs to each end as a buttress in addition to the regular wall studs.

Incomplete Sketchup diagram.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

EDIT:

Got that wall framed up

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 5, 2010

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That's awesome! I've always wanted to make a teardrop camper, which basically provides the same functionality as what you're going for. Now that I drive a Kia Soul, it would look so cute too. :3:

kaiger
Oct 21, 2003

Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.
Well my project pales in comparison to some of yours, but here it is. I was in a Navy squadron that recently transitioned back to carrier ops. Pilots use this thing called a greeny-board to track grades of recent passes (landings) to recognize trends and for general bragging rights. It's made of 1/2" birch-ply with the diagonal grooves routed about 1/8" deep and I used mini poker-chips as markers(there are a few stuck in the picture). Each color represents a different grade and the name plates at the bottom are call-signs of our pilots.
I suck at taking pictures, so I didn't get any of the completed board. This shot is about 90%. I put a lexan sheet over the grooves with a removable dowel at the bottom of each to hold the chips in until that scoring period is over and it's time to empty.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kaiger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 7, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Please tell me one of your pilots callsigns isn't named after Professor Snape from Harry Potter.

kaiger
Oct 21, 2003

Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.
Yeah. It is. In the Navy callsigns aren't meant to be nice. He hates it.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

kaiger posted:

Well my project pales in comparison to some of yours, but here it is. I was in a Navy squadron that recently transitioned back to carrier ops. Pilots use this thing called a greeny-board to track grades of recent passes (landings) to recognize trends and for general bragging rights. It's made of 1/2" birch-ply with the diagonal grooves routed about 1/8" deep and I used mini poker-chips as markers(there are a few stuck in the picture). Each color represents a different grade and the name plates at the bottom are call-signs of our pilots.
I suck at taking pictures, so I didn't get any of the completed board. This shot is about 90%. I put a lexan sheet over the grooves with a removable dowel at the bottom of each to hold the chips in until that scoring period is over and it's time to empty.

Neuticles is the best callsign i've ever heard

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Just a quicky: I've got a white veneer knock-together desk and I wanted a monitor shelf. I had my monitor on a wire rack but it sagged so bad I had to use a cigar box and the special edition DVD of Total Recall to hold it up:

So I went to home depot and bought a prefab white shelf and some door-stoppers. Assembly took about two minutes (or would have if one of the stoppers didn't twist loose from its mounting screw, hence the clamp and some JB Weld)

Voila! Easy-peezy. Uniform height without any need for precise cutting, and built-in rubber feet. The perfect shelf!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Jeeze, I feel way out of my league posting in here.

My fiancee and I have our wedding coming up in September. We've been doing pretty much everything DIY to save costs so we can spend our money in better places like the venue and photography. 40/50% off Michaels coupons have been a life-saver for us.

Last night we built our cardbox out of pretty much dollar store materials. We wrapped three cardboard boxes in a damask print wrapping paper with some spray-on adhesive for a nice smooth look, and added some black cardstock 'lids' for style. Finished off with some red ribbon, a big blingy ring and fake pearls. We both think it looks pretty nice, and like it much, much better than any rental boxes. We just have to figure out how to top it, so I'm open to any suggestions.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

My fiancee and I have our wedding coming up in September. We've been doing pretty much everything DIY to save costs so we can spend our money in better places like the venue and photography. 40/50% off Michaels coupons have been a life-saver for us.

Last night we built our cardbox out of pretty much dollar store materials. We wrapped three cardboard boxes in a damask print wrapping paper with some spray-on adhesive for a nice smooth look, and added some black cardstock 'lids' for style. Finished off with some red ribbon, a big blingy ring and fake pearls. We both think it looks pretty nice, and like it much, much better than any rental boxes. We just have to figure out how to top it, so I'm open to any suggestions.

That looks really good! I made my own card box too & topped it off with a big bow:

It would look really nice if you could make a bow out of that same red ribbon.

Cait
Aug 10, 2010

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.
I've recently started making geek inspired jewelry, after purchasing two pair of D20 earrings online.
Instead of using single dice (die?), I chose to utilise (nearly) complete dice sets to create pieces to match the earrings:

I added glass spacer beads to separate the dice and make them slightly more, er, fashionable. The holes were drilled with a cheapo $30 drill from Bunnings and a 1.5mm bit. Unfortunately the plastic dust heats up and melts around the bit, gluing it inside the dice, so you need to take your time when drilling (or use a more expensive drill I guess).

Next project?
D20 rings or perhaps a necklace.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
You could use a manual drill, or possibly wet drill them, would depend on the melt point of the plastic.

banana fingers
May 19, 2005

kaiger posted:

Very cool! Not to mention these pilots are flying one of the coolest planes ever... the EA-6B Prowler. Great work dude!!!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Will it actually stop the bit from spinning? I'd suggest just keep the bit moving even pulling it back through. Don't stop the drill until you've gone through and pulled back out.

I can't see it getting stuck while moving.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.
Here's a workbench I made to replace an old piece of crap that was falling apart. I wanted it to roll around, but also be stable when I worked on it. I found a really neat solution that someone thought up and proceeded to steal imitate it. I opted for laminated MDF with formica contact cemented on since I will be using this for all kinds of things from working on oily motors to soldering.

I really like the wheel design, aside from the hanging wood sticks. It takes about 10 seconds to get it up on the wheels, and even less to get it on the feet. I may eventually change it up with a shorter support that attaches at a 45 degree angle from the legs instead of the desktop.

Excuse the terrible camera phone pictures, it's all I have right now.

*transformer sound*

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Loztblaz posted:

Here's a workbench I made to replace an old piece of crap that was falling apart.

Are those 4x4s for the legs? Those things are really nice solid pieces of wood.

I didn't see any solid core door workbenches in here, probably because they are dead simple to make. Here's one I made.

Materials were: 30" x 80" solid core door, 4x4s for the legs, 2x4s for the skirts, and a bunch of wood screws. The total cost of materials was ~ $100. I took 3 days to put it together, but it was just me and I spent most of the time measuring and marking screw locations.

Once it was finished (and 3 sheets of folded paper were put under one leg to balance it :ssh: Those 2x4s were warped, I swear) it is definitely the rock-solid nuclear-blast-surviving behemoth I was hoping for. I was going to add a hardwood top, but it's only going to be used for soldering and electronics work so I just put a drop cloth over it.

Also I brought all the materials home in a '92 Camry so I don't want to hear any excuses as to why no one else can build one.

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 26, 2011

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

DethMarine21 posted:

Once it was finished (and 3 sheets of folded paper were put under one leg to balance it :ssh: Those 2x4s were warped, I swear)

On a garage/basement poured cement slab? It's more likely your floor isn't level. I about drove myself nuts trying to level some cabinets I made once in my garage. Measure, turn over, belt sander, turn back over (differing orientation), measure to find a DIFFERENT high corner was even FURTHER off than the first, rinse, repeat. Then it dawned on me the cement pad was neither consistent nor perfectly level.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

DethMarine21 posted:

I didn't see any solid core door workbenches in here, probably because they are dead simple to make. Here's one I made.

I used particle board instead of a solid core door, but I built a garage workspace out of the $20 workbench plans and some pegboard last summer. Came out really well when it was all finished.

Similarly, my materials came home in a '99 Accord.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So my friends have once again said there is something I can't build. So of course I'm going to try.

Electric Pocket Rocket.

Out of Popsicle sticks.

Do you think it can be done safely? I planned on using a minimum amount of metalwork for interior bracing, linkages, and shocks, but other then that try to make the body out of popsicle sticks.

Baring that, cutting up 1/8" steel or aluminum and making what would look like a giant erector set. Which I feel would fit the spirit of the original challenge.

Any input on this critical decision while I start getting the electric parts bought gathered?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

M_Gargantua posted:

Electric Pocket Rocket.

Out of Popsicle sticks.
I suppose if you trimmed the ends, staggered the layers and make a nice plywood-ish material out of them with lots of glue/resin and a hell of a lot of evenly applied pressure... yeah, it could work. Wood would probably be something like a 2x1 or 2x2 in size, if you want to cheat and wrap it in fiberglass it would work better, BUT I see no reason why it couldn't work as a proof of concept.

If a Viking boat can be made out of popsicle sticks, I see no reason why a pocket bike couldn't.

Just be sure to make a thread detailing the creation.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
Say hello to Eugene my first plush, he is a goatbunny, I finished him last night.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Seeing all these workbenches suddenly makes me want to build a workbench. I've never actually had one, and usually use the big brute garbage pails outside.

So my guitar now has frets and a somewhat profiled neck! Woohoo!

It may not look that different from my last picture, but these are big accomplishments for me.

Still to do:
File the frets
Cut + slot nut
Pre-drill bolt-on holes
Binding on body top
Electronics
Control plate and Truss rod cover (there's nothing to cover on the headstock)
Dye + clearcoat

Then there's the (I assume very annoying) process of figuring out which frets are high/low, and dressing them and whatnot. Getting the action just right. I'm anticipating there being a lot of work right at the end, right before it's finished. Hopefully I'm overestimating how much there is.

EDIT: I decided to keep that little "weirdness" on the body near the control plate. I don't care, I've come to like it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Looks pretty sweet!

For fret leveling, I use a marble threshold I picked up at the hard ware store and epoxied some hard wood blocks to the back for handles.
I use a spray adhesive and attach the sandpaper to it.
The marble is dead flat and heavy enough that all you really have to do is push it back and forth a few times and everything is level.

Broodwich
Apr 7, 2003

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I did something similar for my sister:

Broodwich fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 15, 2010

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Broodwich posted:

I did something similar for my sister:

http://a.imageshack.us/img84/4763/boxl.jpg

imageshack doesn't work on SA... Most people use http://waffleimages.com

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Electric Pocket Rocket.

Out of Popsicle sticks.

FireStorm has the right idea. Glue together the frame in popsicle sticks (6 thick? maybe 12 thick for the rear trailing arm), then wet the finished frame in epoxy, wrap it in carbon fiber tape, then wet the fiber. Carbon fiber is expensive, but for a project like that you'd only need 1-2 yards of the stuff.

Look at what people are doing with lost foam carbon fiber methods and recumbent bikes; a wood cored frame wrapped in CF is going to be similar in strength. While 10' of 3" CF tape is $60, 30' of 3" fiberglass tape is only $10....

http://malricsworld.blogspot.com/2008/12/29-december-2008-friend-of-mine-gilles.html

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 18, 2010

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Two projects I've been working on:

First I found an awesome old metal toolbox at goodwill and since I hate my tiny plastic toolbox which smells like a tacklebox, I decided an upgrade was in order.

All it needed was a little paint first because it's got some rust and I personally don't care for a green toolbox.

Original:

After sanding, priming, and painting!

All I have left to do is to rivet back on the name plate on the front. I'm not super pleased with the coating the rustoleum left, but it's not too terrible looking and it's not like it's not going to get beatup and scratched anyway.

Second project is the restoration of some 5.1 headphones a friend gave to me with a completely busted cable.

Very little of the original headphones are left

In these first few pictures you can see the destroyed headset that is held together only with generic brand duct tape

In the end they aren't even done. You can still see the sharpie marks on the "bunny ears". Those were supposed to be temporary and cut down after I did some more work on the acrylic so that they'd be adjustable by unscrewing the wingnuts and sliding the ear assemblies up and down. HOWEVER, I took them to a LAN and the acrylic was completely destroyed. Everything except the speaker assembles(the important part) is broken beyond recognition. The next time I'm going to make it out of something stronger than acrylic, haven't decided what though.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 23, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SpartanIV posted:

Headphones

And people complain about the Grado "antennas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'd complain too. Look how small they are!