Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Heavy, less power than the DRZ, lovely parts availability, and just as expensive? WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?!?!
That's a Yamaha 660 out of their quad lineup. Not so lovely anymore, huh?

Still, a quick youtube flick, and it sounds a lot like my KLR - and it weighs about the same (with a tank 1/2 the size) - and it has about the same power.

I'll save the bux and put 17's on my Tractor. :D

It's still holy-poo poo sexy, though.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jabs posted:

That's a Yamaha 660 out of their quad lineup. Not so lovely anymore, huh?

You can get parts for the engine. Anything else, though...good luck!

Edit: Although it'd be pretty awesome if you started replacing parts with the parts that you could get. Like crankcases for wheels and poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's made by an Italian company starting with M (can't remember the exact name) to the various specs laid out by whoever buys it (mostly Yamaha). Maybe the MZ is restricted to meet horsepower limits set out by various licensing agencies.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

You can get parts for the engine. Anything else, though...good luck!

Edit: Although it'd be pretty awesome if you started replacing parts with the parts that you could get. Like crankcases for wheels and poo poo.

at 37 horsepower it's not exactly stressed, the engine would probably outlast every other part of the bike.

edit: both Bikez.com and MCN lists it as having 50hp, which sounds more likely. I think the one in the ad has been restricted if it's correct.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 27, 2010

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I could never figure out why that bike was so anemic compared to the other MZ bikes the 1996 Skorpion made 47 hp using the same 660 engine.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Went and looked at it this afternoon anyway.

It's even sexier in person, and it sounds...OMG good.

The funny thing is that (despite what the bike-statistic sites say) it's even loving *taller* than the KLR. So tall that I thought (for a split second) that I was going to drop the dude's bike (at 0 MPH) in the alley behind his garage with him standing right there because there was a 'lip' where the asphalt gave way to the concrete gutter in the center of the alley. That lip had to be a whole 1/2" thick - maybe.

We chatted about it a bit, (parts availability, what's he done to it, etc.) then I started it up, duckwalked it backwards a couple times - about 50', and rode it up to his house, feet on the pegs, MSF Lesson 3 Styleeeee.

The clutch is silky smooth, the bike sounds awesome (yes, I said it again - it bears repeating), but it's not the bike for me. I didn't even take it for a spin when he offered. I just don't fit it. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Not by a longshot. Even on this gargantuan tall assed bike, I felt super crouched over, and like my knees were up in my armpits. Even moreso than I feel on my SR-250, which is a little tiny tiny TINY bike.

At the end of the day, it's a bike that I'd LOVE to own, but I don't fit it, so it's not a bike I'd LOVE to ride, so it'd sit in the garage, just as unused and unloved as it is by the current owner, who rides the poo poo out of his R1100S.

Side note: I spent a fair amount of time in my car for the first time in a couple of weeks running errands with Ann yesterday. I loved the poo poo out of that M3 for a long time, but now that I've had two weeks commuting on the KLR every day, I felt boxed in and slow.

I know I'm asking the wrong crowd here, but...
...Would it be so very wrong (read: loving insane) of me to sell it and buy a Ural Patrol (or something else with a Sidecar and 2WD) and go carless year round in Denver?

(Important note: I work at the Airport, so if the weather is too lovely/cold for even riding with cold weather gear, there's a Park and Ride 2.5 miles/7 minutes away that has a bus every 30 minutes that goes to the airport...and Ann has an Accord for stuff that *requires* a car.)

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I think this is the right thread for this...

I'm going to be buying my first bike soon. I'm in the UK with a provisional license, so I'm going to get something with a four-stroke 125cc engine.

As far as I can tell, I want something like a Honda CG125, but because of supply and demand, the prices are a bit more than I want to pay (I'm poor).

Here's the question: I found an import company near me who is selling a Chinese clone (as far as I can tell) of the CG125, and I want to know if I will regret buying one, or if I'll be better off buying something used.

It's been sold, but I think they'll get more in.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/125cc-SENKE-SK-125-COMMUTER-LEARNER-LEGAL-CHEAP-CG-/270608521470?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f018658fe

The seller seems pretty legitimate, to be honest. Has anyone dealt with them?

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's "Run away as far as you can from Chinese imports".

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Buy something Japanese, used. The Chinese bikes, even where the engines hold up, have cycle parts that don't.

If you're doing DAS, a decent used 125 will do you for practicing your mod 1 and 2 and although pricey, can be sold on for similar money to someone in your situation.

If you're not DAS eligible and are going to be restricted for two years (or whatever it is these days), I'd be tempted to suggest picking up a DT125 or similar that you can use for green laning or take to a MX track, where a two-stroke 125 is a perfectly kosher bit of kit. They are also good at crashing, so you can go out early doors and waz around mini-roundabouts with your leg out until you either reach heroic levels of slide or crash at 10mph. Most probably the latter.

Equally, if you have any land available, you could look into an old four stroke 125 trials bike, like a Honda TL125, which you could do beginner trials events on. Fun and very good for your bike control skills!

The problem with a 125 road bike is that car drivers will try to run you into ditches - they do this to any bike not doing over 45 or any bike at all with L plates on. At least on something dirt-capable you can ride off road and escape them. If you're doing DAS, you can live with this for a few months until you pass.

polystyrus posted:

I'm going to be buying my first bike soon. I'm in the UK with a provisional license, so I'm going to get something with a four-stroke 125cc engine.

As far as I can tell, I want something like a Honda CG125, but because of supply and demand, the prices are a bit more than I want to pay (I'm poor).

Here's the question: I found an import company near me who is selling a Chinese clone (as far as I can tell) of the CG125, and I want to know if I will regret buying one, or if I'll be better off buying something used.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/125cc-SENKE-SK-125-COMMUTER-LEARNER-LEGAL-CHEAP-CG-/270608521470?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f018658fe

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's "Run away as far as you can from Chinese imports".

e: Holy mother of Christ, it has a gear position indicator. :cawg:

Saga fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 2, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Saga posted:

e: Holy mother of Christ, it has a gear position indicator. :cawg:

Because counting is just too drat hard.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Because counting is just too drat hard.

I look at it like this. Bouncing off the rev limiter? Upshift. Not wheelieing or spinning the rear tire, or a combination of the two? Downshift.

It's that simple! :haw:

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

Buy something Japanese, used. The Chinese bikes, even where the engines hold up, have cycle parts that don't.

If you're doing DAS, a decent used 125 will do you for practicing your mod 1 and 2 and although pricey, can be sold on for similar money to someone in your situation.

[snip]

The problem with a 125 road bike is that car drivers will try to run you into ditches - they do this to any bike not doing over 45 or any bike at all with L plates on. At least on something dirt-capable you can ride off road and escape them. If you're doing DAS, you can live with this for a few months until you pass.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll definitely look into more off-road type bikes. Green-laning might be very good for me, really, there's a regular journey I do that could be done off-road for the most part. I'll check out the bikes you recommend.

Thankfully, I'm 26, so I'm old enough for DAS. I'd mostly want to do this to get rid of L plates, for the reasons you mentioned. I'll wait and see how I like biking first, of course.

I didn't really mention it, but I (bi)cycle a lot. I survived cycling in London at about 30-40 miles a week for about 4 years. I'm now in Bournemouth, and I'm tired of the hills. Point being I'm used to drivers being complete dicks. :argh:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Linedance posted:

It's made by an Italian company starting with M (can't remember the exact name) to the various specs laid out by whoever buys it (mostly Yamaha). Maybe the MZ is restricted to meet horsepower limits set out by various licensing agencies.

No, MZ is pretty much DKW. It's from Zschopau, Germany. Former eastern Germany. They're pretty lovely bikes. There's nothing Yamaha copied but a bit Kawasaki.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Blaster of Justice posted:

No, MZ is pretty much DKW. It's from Zschopau, Germany. Former eastern Germany. They're pretty lovely bikes. There's nothing Yamaha copied but a bit Kawasaki.
You're wrong.

Not on the DKW part, just on the 'lovely bike' part.
The Baghira I looked at had a Yamaha 660 engine that is detuned from use in the quads (XT660, Raptor) for longevity and longer maintenance intervals, the forks are Marzocchis, the pads and rotors take off the shelf EBC parts, etc, etc... The fit and finish on the frame and plastics was top notch, and the mechanicals were all sourced from the best parts bins in the world. :v:

Looking at older MZ bikes (10-20+ years old) I can see the Iron Curtain influence, but the bike I looked at yesterday was as good, or better than, any of the bikes I've seen from more common brands.

I'd have been all over it if I'd fit properly on it. (had another inch of inseam, and didn't have a bad lower back that doesn't like my knees to be high)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

polystyrus posted:

Run away as far as you can from Chinese imports.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went and looked at some bikes today... I really, really want a Guzzi V7 cafe, but it would be cruel to ride it year round, it's much more a smiling sunny day bike than a dreary drizzly salty winter bike. It would be an ideal second bike though. Got a test ride booked for an Aprilia Mana GT for wednesday... will report about it once I've done it. I've seen loads of reviews so far, ranging from glowing and gushing (owners) to not really convinced/veiled disgust (some magazine testers) so I'm really interested to see what the it's really like for myself.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
Here's a question: is it at all possible to get one of the new VTR250 bikes here in the US? My good friend is just learning to ride, and she is tiny tiny tiny, but loves the look of the Monster. I figured the VTR250 would be ideal, but it seems European-only.

Any way around that? She's not hurting for funds, so if it's a matter of throwing money at the problem until it goes away, that may be feasible...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

benwards posted:

Here's a question: is it at all possible to get one of the new VTR250 bikes here in the US? My good friend is just learning to ride, and she is tiny tiny tiny, but loves the look of the Monster. I figured the VTR250 would be ideal, but it seems European-only.

Any way around that? She's not hurting for funds, so if it's a matter of throwing money at the problem until it goes away, that may be feasible...

Nope, europe only. Although new 250s may be coming to the US shortly after the success of the new ninja 250. :)

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Nope, europe only. Although new 250s may be coming to the US shortly after the success of the new ninja 250. :)

Why the gently caress don't Japan offer small displacement bikes in the US anyway? That's pretty ridiculous.

If it's some kind of sophisticated revenge over Hiroshima, they pretty much failed in not even providing you the correct 60Hp RD350 YPVS LCII in the 80's and 90'. You only got the crippled 48Hp Brazilian version, right? They could have killed so many brave American teens with the correct bike ;)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

polystyrus posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll definitely look into more off-road type bikes. Green-laning might be very good for me, really, there's a regular journey I do that could be done off-road for the most part. I'll check out the bikes you recommend.

Thankfully, I'm 26, so I'm old enough for DAS. I'd mostly want to do this to get rid of L plates, for the reasons you mentioned. I'll wait and see how I like biking first, of course.

I didn't really mention it, but I (bi)cycle a lot. I survived cycling in London at about 30-40 miles a week for about 4 years. I'm now in Bournemouth, and I'm tired of the hills. Point being I'm used to drivers being complete dicks. :argh:

Yeah, bikes on L plates or anything slow you basically get treated like a cyclist anyway - "those" people will pass you by driving through the center of your lane. So pretty much like cycling, but a bit easier climbing hills.

I was really saying that when you aren't commuting, you can have fun off road, but if you happen to have a legal off-road commute (rare in Surrey!), more power to you. If you like MTB'ing you will love dirt bikes. More bigger jumps, more grip (fat tyres), less of the boring pedaling up steep things bits.

If it's some kind of sophisticated revenge over Hiroshima, they pretty much failed in not even providing you the correct 60Hp RD350 YPVS LCII in the 80's and 90'. You only got the crippled 48Hp Brazilian version, right? They could have killed so many brave American teens with the correct bike

e: You're forgetting Pokemon.

Saga fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 3, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Saga posted:

e: You're forgetting Pokemon.

You're correct. My kids own more pokefuck than the value of my RD350s and RD500 can justify. drat sneaky yellow bastards - and I'm not even an American. How on earth did I become a target?

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Why the gently caress don't Japan offer small displacement bikes in the US anyway? That's pretty ridiculous.

Because nobody buys them. Since they will give virtually anyone an unrestricted motorcycle license with no training, there's no mandate that people start out on something small. Since motorcycles are generally viewed as a hobby/lifestyle here and not a legitimate form of transport, most people are in it because they are the dangerous combination of:

A. functionally retarded

and

B. someone with the desperate need to feel like they are a badass.

All this means that people go straight to either a "Gixxer 1000, yo" which they promptly use to kill themselves or a 700 lb chromed out Harley that they use to ride back and forth down the strip and maybe drop on themselves at a stoplight.

This is why we can't have nice things. I would so buy a 400cc cylinder that revs to the moon. And these assholes are the reason I can't. And I hate them for it.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Hot Buttered posted:

Because nobody buys them. Since they will give virtually anyone an unrestricted motorcycle license with no training, there's no mandate that people start out on something small.

My TZ350 clocks out at about 88-90 bhp. I don't think many chromed out V-twins actually match that. Well, they might, but not at 300-something lb. Real men ride small cute bikes ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hot Buttered posted:

Because nobody buys them. Since they will give virtually anyone an unrestricted motorcycle license with no training, there's no mandate that people start out on something small. Since motorcycles are generally viewed as a hobby/lifestyle here and not a legitimate form of transport, most people are in it because they are the dangerous combination of:

A. functionally retarded

and

B. someone with the desperate need to feel like they are a badass.

All this means that people go straight to either a "Gixxer 1000, yo" which they promptly use to kill themselves or a 700 lb chromed out Harley that they use to ride back and forth down the strip and maybe drop on themselves at a stoplight.

This is why we can't have nice things. I would so buy a 400cc cylinder that revs to the moon. And these assholes are the reason I can't. And I hate them for it.

There's actually another reason that people are kinda glossing over:

Cost. If you want to make a 400cc bike that revs to the moon, you're going to end up making an I4, and those are just as expensive to make in 400cc form as they are in 600cc form. But because the market won't bear that cost, they have to price them lower. And because we have no laws that would restrict someone from just buying a 600 instead, no one's going to go for the "lovely deal" that is a 400cc 4. I think we will see a surge in popularity of the small displacement twins though, thanks to the success of the 250.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
I pretty obviously don't really know what I'm talking about, but do they really cost the same? I can see development costs being similar, but it seems like production costs would be lower for a small 400cc 4 cylinder (I forgot to put the 4 in my last post). I mean producing a bike that can handle 50 hp seems like it would be less expensive than producing one that can handle 110 hp.

What I'm looking for is a new bike in the spirit of the Bandit 400 I used to have. It was simple and a lot of fun, and you could actually use most of it's abilities on the street. I wouldn't expect a modern incarnation to be cutting edge, just to be similar to the 250 offerings, with a marginal price bump due to the extra couple cylinders. But I guess the American market has proven quite thoroughly that a bike like that won't sell here. You don't see too many Bandit 400's or FZR400's running around.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hot Buttered posted:

I pretty obviously don't really know what I'm talking about, but do they really cost the same? I can see development costs being similar, but it seems like production costs would be lower for a small 400cc 4 cylinder (I forgot to put the 4 in my last post). I mean producing a bike that can handle 50 hp seems like it would be less expensive than producing one that can handle 110 hp.

What I'm looking for is a new bike in the spirit of the Bandit 400 I used to have. It was simple and a lot of fun, and you could actually use most of it's abilities on the street. I wouldn't expect a modern incarnation to be cutting edge, just to be similar to the 250 offerings, with a marginal price bump due to the extra couple cylinders. But I guess the American market has proven quite thoroughly that a bike like that won't sell here. You don't see too many Bandit 400's or FZR400's running around.

Well, you wanted a bike that revs to the moon (like the Bandit 4 does, for it's age), and having a high reving 4 means cost. And making something smaller isn't always cheaper, tooling costs are tooling costs and if you want to capitalize on that smaller displacement engine you're going to have to design everything about the bike to complement the smaller displacement engine. The sleeved down 600s (ZX4E) is basically an abomination, same with the SV450 and the new Ninja 400 (sleeved down Ninja 650).

Not to mention a 400 that makes only 50hp isn't going to sell, even if it's 2k cheaper than the 600s, because it's going to have to compete with bikes like the SV650, which is ~3k cheaper and will make more HP.

So...yeah.

I'd say if you wanted a competitive 400cc supersport type bike, you'd need to be looking at ~75hp at the crank stock, and sub 400 pounds ready to ride. It needs to be better than the 600s somehow. And that simply costs money.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
400s were a product of Japanese capacity-based licensing law, which law preceded the development of what we think of as the 90s race rep. There's no inherent logic to the choice of capacity. IIRC they used to have another capacity class, but still distinguish between ordinary and large-capacity, with separate licensing regimes for them (moped, ordinary and large-capacity - 50cc, 400cc, unlimited).

The 400 fours were simply a product of a fashion for race reps which would be available to domestic customers with an ordinary licence, the large-capacity one basically being not only yet another test, but a real mortification-of-the-flesh exercise, as you would expect from the Japanese.

By the nature of the beast, some ICE engine and capacity configurations are going to be better than others. The 400s, at this point, have no actual advantage over a well-develpoped supersport model. Tellingly, 400 fours stopped being produced after the fad for them faded in the domestic market and the domestic consumer moved onto big scooters and weird retro nakeds.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Saga posted:

400s were a product of Japanese capacity-based licensing law, which law preceded the development of what we think of as the 90s race rep. There's no inherent logic to the choice of capacity. IIRC they used to have another capacity class, but still distinguish between ordinary and large-capacity, with separate licensing regimes for them (moped, ordinary and large-capacity - 50cc, 400cc, unlimited).

The 400 fours were simply a product of a fashion for race reps which would be available to domestic customers with an ordinary licence, the large-capacity one basically being not only yet another test, but a real mortification-of-the-flesh exercise, as you would expect from the Japanese.

By the nature of the beast, some ICE engine and capacity configurations are going to be better than others. The 400s, at this point, have no actual advantage over a well-develpoped supersport model. Tellingly, 400 fours stopped being produced after the fad for them faded in the domestic market and the domestic consumer moved onto big scooters and weird retro nakeds.

I think you're missing a point. Light 350 to 500cc two-strokes equipped with YPVS are not 400-fours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wsj2MVu8Qg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-aHMIeYjXg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s17CREt9Qqo

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 4, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

I think you're missing a point. Light 350 to 500cc two-strokes are not 400-fours.

I'm referring to Hot Buttered's posts and Z3N's responses regarding "400s which rev to the moon". The point simply being, he's not being denied a 400/4 or BinnedIt because of American buying habits or Japan's single-minded determination to ignore the superiority of 399cc engines ("these assholes are the reason I can't"). Bikes like the above weren't produced because they made sense on their own terms, but because licensing law required them and because of a Japanese fad for race reps, which soon passed as these things do in Japan.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Saga posted:

I'm referring to Hot Buttered's posts and Z3N's responses regarding "400s which rev to the moon". The point simply being, he's not being denied a 400/4 or BinnedIt because of American buying habits or Japan's single-minded determination to ignore the superiority of 399cc engines ("these assholes are the reason I can't"). Bikes like the above weren't produced because they made sense on their own terms, but because licensing law required them and because of a Japanese fad for race reps, which soon passed as these things do in Japan.

That makes sense, and you're probably right. Accept my apologies. I'm always a bit on the fence, when I think people are trying to mock my cute small 2-smokes ;)

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Saga posted:

I've seen that firsthand, as I used to live in Japan. I think when I was there it was 50cc, 400cc, 750cc, and unlimited. That was around 2001 though. I guess I didn't realize that their market had moved away from small displacement fours, since I knew they had the 400cc limit, and they were pretty much all you saw at that size when I was there. When I was leaving, it was around the time weird, fat tire thumpers and Ruckus-style scooters started showing up though.

Anyway, all of the arguments put forth make sense. But I still want one. And I stand by the notion that even if they were all the rage in other countries, they wouldn't sell here. Americans have a different mentality when it comes to motorcycles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hot Buttered posted:

Anyway, all of the arguments put forth make sense. But I still want one. And I stand by the notion that even if they were all the rage in other countries, they wouldn't sell here. Americans have a different mentality when it comes to motorcycles.

Oh you're absolutely right. I'd love to see a class as well populated/supported as the SV class but with 4 cylinder 400s. There's still a few old VFR400s and such kicking around in that class, but they're too heavy and underpowered to run at the front without a really, really good rider.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Z3n posted:

Oh you're absolutely right. I'd love to see a class as well populated/supported as the SV class but with 4 cylinder 400s. There's still a few old VFR400s and such kicking around in that class, but they're too heavy and underpowered to run at the front without a really, really good rider.

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. That's the class I would run in, if you know, it existed, I had a racetrack anywhere near me, I knew how to race, and someone who weighs 220 lbs. could be competitive on tiny little bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hot Buttered posted:

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. That's the class I would run in, if you know, it existed, I had a racetrack anywhere near me, I knew how to race, and someone who weighs 220 lbs. could be competitive on tiny little bikes.

Well, it does exist, can't help you on the racetrack front, racing is pretty easy, and weight doesn't matter much. Hope this helps! :v:

Seriously though, if you have any desire to go racing, you should do yourself a favor and give it a shot. In CA we have a lot of really cool resources available for racing (like a 250 production racebike rental, you can rent a race prepped, ready to go new gen ninja 250 for 250$, complete with pit service, etc), but there are plenty of relatively cheap options if you want to get into it. :)

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Z3n posted:

Well, it does exist, can't help you on the racetrack front, racing is pretty easy, and weight doesn't matter much. Hope this helps! :v:

Seriously though, if you have any desire to go racing, you should do yourself a favor and give it a shot. In CA we have a lot of really cool resources available for racing (like a 250 production racebike rental, you can rent a race prepped, ready to go new gen ninja 250 for 250$, complete with pit service, etc), but there are plenty of relatively cheap options if you want to get into it. :)

I was kind of more referring to the 400's being a well supported, relevant class. And trust me, if there was a track nearby, I would probably already be into it. I believe the closest track to me is Barber Motorsports Park, which is about 4.5 hours away. A good bit too far for me to want to do on a regular basis.

Something that I just stumbled upon that is close, is one of the tracks these guys race at.

http://www.gamra.org/

I don't think I'll get laughed out of CA for posting that. Not really what I was thinking of originally, but it does look like fun. Actually, the more I think about it, the more fun it sounds.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hot Buttered posted:

I was kind of more referring to the 400's being a well supported, relevant class. And trust me, if there was a track nearby, I would probably already be into it. I believe the closest track to me is Barber Motorsports Park, which is about 4.5 hours away. A good bit too far for me to want to do on a regular basis.

Something that I just stumbled upon that is close, is one of the tracks these guys race at.

http://www.gamra.org/

I don't think I'll get laughed out of CA for posting that. Not really what I was thinking of originally, but it does look like fun. Actually, the more I think about it, the more fun it sounds.

Mini-racing is awesome, not only is it great training if you ever decide to go full size, but it's cheap, easy, relatively low risk, and loads and loads and loads of fun. Highly recommended. I'd see about getting in touch with the racing organization and seeing if they have a rider rep or someone who would walk you through the basics. Go hang out at the pits the next time they're out racing to see what it's all about...it'll give you a sense of what it's like and if you want to go for it or not. :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
There are bikes that fit those classifications for under $1000 on Craigslist here ALL THE TIME.

http://www.rmminimoto.com/

I must have one.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I sat on a few bikes today at a Ducati/Triumph dealer.

Daytona 675: Ok REALLY high loving pegs, otherwise not bad, pretty nice bike. Doesn't seem that pretty in person compared to the pictures you always see, at least in the black color.

Ducati 848: Actually not bad, high pegs again, and hilariously thin seat.

2006 F4i: Oh my god this bike fits me perfectly. Definitely one of my top choices for next bike.

I really like sportbikes a lot, it's just the god drat pegs are always so drat high, it always feels like i'm squatting on one, I really need to test ride one to feel how it would be to live with every day. I'm about 5'11'' but I think I have longer legs than average, 34 inseam.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Z3n posted:

Mini-racing is awesome, not only is it great training if you ever decide to go full size, but it's cheap, easy, relatively low risk, and loads and loads and loads of fun. Highly recommended. I'd see about getting in touch with the racing organization and seeing if they have a rider rep or someone who would walk you through the basics. Go hang out at the pits the next time they're out racing to see what it's all about...it'll give you a sense of what it's like and if you want to go for it or not. :)

They have a big race weekend in a little over a month. I'm going. I'm so pumped. I tried to explain the appeal to the girlfriend, and she thought I was crazy. Sold her on the concept that I was less likely to die than if I was riding on the street. Now to try and learn something about tiny dirtbikes, since the only thing I know about dirt is large displacement 4 stroke super motos.

And then buy one. And some wheels and tires. And mods. And a full suit. So I can get my rear end handed to me by little kids. Jesus.

Hot Buttered fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 7, 2010

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

high pegs

Find a KTM Superduke 990, 19" seat to peg, very comfortable :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

http://glensfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/1886188865.html

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to get those quick fixes done? Also, anyone know what year that is and if all in all, it's a good deal?