Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, unless you live someplace that doesn't have winter (like hawaii or whatever), it's too late to start a hive this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

That sucks, dude. After all that work I was really rooting for you. :(

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

That sucks, dude. After all that work I was really rooting for you. :(

Me too. :smith:

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Sad story close to my home; very disheartening
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/07/bee-murder-at-hayes-valley-farm-unknown-attacker-sprays-hives-with-pesticide.php

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I saw that on the news too. I hope they catch the rear end in a top hat.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Maximusi posted:

I saw that on the news too. I hope they catch the rear end in a top hat.

That's loving depressing :(

What could they charge the perpetrator(s) with? Animal cruelty or just the loss of property?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It'd be hard to hit them with an animal cruelty charge when you consider that it's obviously not illegal to use bug spray to kill bugs.

Destruction of property; depending on the exact value of the destroyed property, it'd be a misdemeanor (vandalism) or a minor felony.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Leperflesh posted:

It'd be hard to hit them with an animal cruelty charge when you consider that it's obviously not illegal to use bug spray to kill bugs.

This isn't always true and depends greatly on the local laws and regulations. Where I live you're not allowed to spray pesticides within 50 yards of a beehive. Get caught doing so and you get yourself a pretty nasty fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh I'm sure there's laws, and maybe specific ones about beehives, yeah. I'm just saying, specifically "animal cruelty" would be pretty hard case to make; if you won it, you'd basically be setting a legal precedent that it's unlawfully cruel to kill insects using bug spray.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Oh I'm sure there's laws, and maybe specific ones about beehives, yeah. I'm just saying, specifically "animal cruelty" would be pretty hard case to make; if you won it, you'd basically be setting a legal precedent that it's unlawfully cruel to kill insects using bug spray.

You could sue for loss of use/income or damages due to vandalism. It doesn't seem to be quite in the same vein, but it would be a legal recourse.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Destruction of property; depending on the exact value of the destroyed property, it'd be a misdemeanor (vandalism) or a minor felony.

Yeah.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I don't know about you guys but I just harvested a poo poo ton of honey. It tastes sorta fruity. Weird. I had kept on an extra brood box and they filled almost the entire thing. I have probably like 25 lbs of honey. How is everyone else?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Lots of bees, they still haven't completely filled out the deep. Probably won't get much honey this year, but I only put them in late in the Spring, so here's to next year.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I put on two short supers a month ago. They're pretty well full of honey but they haven't capped a full frame yet. Their attitude is night and day compared to the start of the year. I was able to inspect them in shorts without needing a veil or gloves.

Now I need to be fully covered for an inspection and they've got me a few times just walking past. The worst was last week, one flew up my shorts while I was mowing the lawn. Luckily, she stung me in the calf on the way up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We inspected a week and a half ago, and the bees had built and nearly-full honey on the topmost of three supers, with only a few cells around the edge of the center frames capped.

We suspected that we'd be ready to harvest in a couple more weeks. My wife wants to leave them an entire super for the winter, but I think we could probably harvest all three and they'll have months to rebuild before then. This is California, we don't really start having "winter" (cool and rainy) until like late Novemberish, and there's not going to be more than a handful of below-freezing nights, period.

Maximusi, still meaning to have you over - now you've got honey, we can compare flavors!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Thinking about getting into this next spring. How cold can bees be kept? Looking around for information and not finding too much with specific details about temperature. It gets down to -40 here without windchill.

Does all the regular advice I see about keeping bees through a winter apply here, will I have to implement some special measures to keep them warm, or am I out of luck?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's pretty severely cold, but bees do survive winter in all sorts of cold climates. I know there are beehives in places like scandinavia, russia, etc.

There are breeds of bees that are better adapted to cold climates, as well.

When it is cold out, the bees cluster together into a ball at the center of the hive, generating their own heat to keep themselves and the brood chamber at something like 92 degrees F. They can do this basically indefinitely, as long as every bee is able to leave the ball and eat regularly (so of course there must also be adequate supplies of honey or, failing that, syrup). In order to do that, and not freeze to death in the process, there must be periodic warming - that is, it's OK if it gets well below freezing, as long as it doesn't stay super cold for days and days and days.

I am not familiar with all the techniques but I know that there are methods for insulating hives to help them stay warm. An important factor is that the bees must also have ventilation; they produce water vapor and will saturate the hive with moisture if it is totally sealed, killing them.

The best thing for you to do if you're really interested is to contact your local beekeeper association (trust me, there is one). The locals will have the most knowledge and experience with beekeeping requirements in your area.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

That's pretty severely cold, but bees do survive winter in all sorts of cold climates. I know there are beehives in places like scandinavia, russia, etc.

There are breeds of bees that are better adapted to cold climates, as well.
Yeah, I'm looking into information on beekeeping in Finland right now. That might help provide some clues.

Leperflesh posted:

The best thing for you to do if you're really interested is to contact your local beekeeper association (trust me, there is one). The locals will have the most knowledge and experience with beekeeping requirements in your area.
There's no local beekeeper association here that I know of. I'm in Yellowknife which has a population of about 18k and the next closest city is 16 hours south. My best bet is probably to continue looking at similar climates in other countries.

edit: VVV - Cool, thanks. I figured they might be doing something down in Hay River or Fort Smith. I wonder if anyone's still doing it.

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 24, 2010

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
http://www.farmnwt.com/history.pdf says you should be good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is a Finnish beekeeper's association. I can't read that page but it should help you get set up with supplies and probably you can also find other local beekeepers.

If there is any agriculture in your area that involves flowering plants, then there are probably beekeepers.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Leperflesh, yeah I've sent you an email saying the same thing haha.

I got stung for the first time two days ago and my finger swelled into a sausage. It's still a little swollen today. Is that normal?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I think I'm a little more sensitive than average. Being stung in the shoulder and calf swelled up my bicep and calf for 3 days. The one time I got it in the finger, it was swollen around 5 days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yep, I've been stung once as an adult (not by my bees) on the foot, and it was swollen for three days. My wife's been stung once on the back of her neck (a bee got tangled in her hair) and she had a lump for over a week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Double-postin' like a sumbitch;

Tomorrow we'll be harvesting three medium supers (8 frames each), so today I just drove to Beekind and rented an extractor. We'll be sure to take lots of pictures!

MaxiMusi, haven't heard back yet whether you can make it over; hope you can, you're welcome to come and help us spin honey or just hang out, whatever your preference.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Has anyone had any experience with making mead from their honey? I loving love mead, it's by far my favourite alcoholic drink but it's really hard to get hold of and quite expensive so if I can produce it from scratch myself I would be well up for that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not yet, but I intend to give it a shot. Beekind has a (quite expensive) Mead making book that I was eyeballing last time I was there... I figured I'd just check out free Internet instructions first, see if I like making mead, before I spring for a $40 book.

In most stores the only mead I can find is Chaucer's, which is pretty terrible; I suspect it's basically novelty mead for people who want to try out mead because they heard of it, and have no idea what mead should taste like.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I still can't believe how much honey you guys harvested. Your honey tastes so much better than mine! How full did that plastic bin get?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's... a lot. It got up to like 6 inches or so. We're going to run out of quart jars very quickly. We picked up 12 more pint-sized jars at Target, and we have the box of 8-oz jars as well. It might be enough.

And remember, we left about four frames in the hive because they weren't fully capped, so this is just from 20 frames.

I think it will be around 40 pounds of honey, maybe 45.

Thanks again for coming by! And I don't think our honey is better than yours, just very different... we really like the light flavor of your stuff too.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

The Saurus posted:

Has anyone had any experience with making mead from their honey? I loving love mead, it's by far my favourite alcoholic drink but it's really hard to get hold of and quite expensive so if I can produce it from scratch myself I would be well up for that.

Check out the mead making thread

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -