Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Going to look at an old enduro later today. It's a 1980 Honda XL500. Needs a tail light and signals, speedometer and seat it sounds like. Has a Supertrapp exhaust on it.

The guy says it runs great and doesn't leak and wants $580 cash. I figure for $550 cash it'd probably be worth picking up. It has a title and it looks like there are quite a few parts on Ebay for it.

Any reason to run from this particular bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Scrapez posted:

Any reason to run from this particular bike?

Might be. Do a compression check before you buy it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I've been riding my scooter around the cities for a couple years now and I think its time for me to upgrade.

I've been looking at a few different bikes to start with. I'm a classic Japanese car guy so I wouldnt mind something that fits the bill or is retardedly 80's

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/mcy/1904661904.html

1983 Honda Nighthawk 650

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/1906660505.html

1985 Honda Sabre

and this

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/1904095993.html

1980 Suzuki GS750

Are what I have been looking at. I'd probably end up putting clubman handlebars on after I got comfortable with riding, otherwise I'd just make sure they keep running.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those sabres are awesome bikes but I'm not sure if they're the year that had oiling issues or not. That'd easily be my first choice if it was still running decently. Couldn't really go wrong with any of them, although that seems pretty high for that GS750, and I doubt he'd sell it to a newish rider, given his ad.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Z3n posted:

Those sabres are awesome bikes but I'm not sure if they're the year that had oiling issues or not. That'd easily be my first choice if it was still running decently. Couldn't really go wrong with any of them, although that seems pretty high for that GS750, and I doubt he'd sell it to a newish rider, given his ad.

From what I read the early v45 engines had issues but Honda finally admitted there was a problem and changed the later ones. Feel free to correct me if thats wrong, I was also looking at this bike.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/mcy/1906242775.html

1976yamaha XS750 triple

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get the triple!

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Someone nearby is selling a 1972 Honda CB175 for 125 or best offer. I haven't talked to the guy yet, but I know he's into mechanic work and the sign says all there and working, however, has no title.

I have zero experience with bikes, save for finding my uncles rusted old bike that I barely managed to do anything with (outside deducing that it is indeed rusted everywhere). It left me feeling.. Inadequate about my ability to learn bike mechanics. Since then, my plan has been to get into the MSF course/license, buy gear, then save for a more recent bike that I wouldn't have to worry much on the mechanical side of things.

But this one is starting to tempt me. I know next to nothing about bikes and my first impression is that this thing is going to need a lot of technical attention. Could I teach myself, or am I just getting in over my head with these thoughts? My fear is that I'm just giddy at the thought of having a working motorcycle and that I don't really understand the kind of technical depth I would need to maintain it properly.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Endless Mike posted:

Get the triple!

Agreed. There is an intangible quality that sets them apart, and you'll know what I'm talking about when you throw a leg over. Incredibly solid and balanced out, and the engine is pure music.

Second gear was a problem with certain revisions, and be mindful of year/rev compatibility. XSs that look outwardly identical have body parts, seats, etc., that don't swap.

You should jump on it, because if not, I may be on the first plane to the Twin Cities :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Lothire posted:

Someone nearby is selling a 1972 Honda CB175 for 125 or best offer. I haven't talked to the guy yet, but I know he's into mechanic work and the sign says all there and working, however, has no title.

I have zero experience with bikes, save for finding my uncles rusted old bike that I barely managed to do anything with (outside deducing that it is indeed rusted everywhere). It left me feeling.. Inadequate about my ability to learn bike mechanics. Since then, my plan has been to get into the MSF course/license, buy gear, then save for a more recent bike that I wouldn't have to worry much on the mechanical side of things.

But this one is starting to tempt me. I know next to nothing about bikes and my first impression is that this thing is going to need a lot of technical attention. Could I teach myself, or am I just getting in over my head with these thoughts? My fear is that I'm just giddy at the thought of having a working motorcycle and that I don't really understand the kind of technical depth I would need to maintain it properly.
For one hundred and twenty five dollars, you only REALLY need two skills.
"Lefty Loosey" and the ability to type "www.ebay.com" into your browser.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Jabs posted:

For one hundred and twenty five dollars, you only REALLY need two skills.
"Lefty Loosey" and the ability to type "www.ebay.com" into your browser.

Agreed. For that price, if you ride it for 6 months and it blows up, you got your money's worth.

However, I'd make sure it has a title, or you can obtain one, if you are going to be riding this thing on the street. A street bike that isn't street legal is next to worthless.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advise. I'm going to jump on this and see what I can do. I'm not too worried about the title right now, as I still have a lot of pre-bike stuff to do (MSF and gear) that is going to take time anyways, so even if it gets up and running, it won't be seeing action for a long while. If I can get it to start - even better, learn a thing or two - I'll be a happy dude.

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
I just bought a Miyata Pathrunner for $160. The lady said her husband was into bikes and kept it tuned. Please tell me I didn't just waste my money.

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK
So I'm a new rider in London (used to be in the US) and bikes are ridiculously expensive here. I'm not sure how, but a new Ninja 250 retails for £4100 (so, make that about $6300). Most of the used ones I've seen have been going for around £3k ($4.5k). I got an unrestricted license a few months ago so I'm on the fence about what I should get. Part of me wants to go the Ninja 250 route, but they're scarce (and expensive) here. I'm not too keen on the 125s since I'm tall-ish (6'2") and I feel a bit cramped on them, but on the plus side they're easier to come by and likely cheaper to insure.

I did my learning and test on a Yamaha XJ6 ABS, which at £5400 list is only marginally more expensive than the Ninja and comes with ABS, and I did a test ride on a Monster 696 ABS not too long ago, but I also recognize that at 75-80hp those are pretty much at the top of what this forum would consider condoning (not necessarily approving) for a starter bike. Plus, they're new models; I'd be hard pressed to find either of those used anywhere. The reason I'm considering non-supersport 600s is that I felt much more comfortable riding them (body fit-wise) in the week of training and testing I did than the 125 I spent a day on. Unfortunately, it's rare to find them used (at least as far as I can tell from browsing gumtree--the craigslist equivalent here--for the past few weeks). I might consider buying new: money isn't a huge constraint, but I'd have a hard time swallowing dropping $6k on a 250, whereas $7.8k on a 600 is a bit less absurd (but still ridiculous, don't get me wrong).

I guess I know what the answer is (buy a used 125!), I guess I just need someone here to bash it into my skull :haw: Anyone have any thoughts?

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
Gumtree is good but also check out biketrader, Really good for searching by make and model/area

There are loads of good starter bikes in this country too

BROS 400, Bandit 400, CB 500, CB-1, gs 500, diversion etc

Save your money for your next bike

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

So I'm a new rider in London (used to be in the US) and bikes are ridiculously expensive here. I'm not sure how, but a new Ninja 250 retails for £4100 (so, make that about $6300). Most of the used ones I've seen have been going for around £3k ($4.5k). I got an unrestricted license a few months ago so I'm on the fence about what I should get. Part of me wants to go the Ninja 250 route, but they're scarce (and expensive) here. I'm not too keen on the 125s since I'm tall-ish (6'2") and I feel a bit cramped on them, but on the plus side they're easier to come by and likely cheaper to insure.

I did my learning and test on a Yamaha XJ6 ABS, which at £5400 list is only marginally more expensive than the Ninja and comes with ABS, and I did a test ride on a Monster 696 ABS not too long ago, but I also recognize that at 75-80hp those are pretty much at the top of what this forum would consider condoning (not necessarily approving) for a starter bike. Plus, they're new models; I'd be hard pressed to find either of those used anywhere. The reason I'm considering non-supersport 600s is that I felt much more comfortable riding them (body fit-wise) in the week of training and testing I did than the 125 I spent a day on. Unfortunately, it's rare to find them used (at least as far as I can tell from browsing gumtree--the craigslist equivalent here--for the past few weeks). I might consider buying new: money isn't a huge constraint, but I'd have a hard time swallowing dropping $6k on a 250, whereas $7.8k on a 600 is a bit less absurd (but still ridiculous, don't get me wrong).

I guess I know what the answer is (buy a used 125!), I guess I just need someone here to bash it into my skull :haw: Anyone have any thoughts?

new bikes are pricey, but there's so many good cheap used ones around there's no reason to buy new. For instance, you could buy my '06 Aprilia Pegaso for like, £2400, maybe less! It's perfect for bashing around the city! (pm me if interested ;) ).

Motorcycle News has a good classified section too, and not everyone lists their bike both on autotrader.co.uk and motorcyclenews.com so it's worth checking out both. Their reviews are pretty handy too.

Also, after being here for a while (the sooner the better to be honest) you stop doing the mental exchange rate arithmetic, because if you're earning pounds and spending pounds, it doesn't matter what that means in dollars

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Iniquitous posted:

Get one of the older 400s that you can't get in the states.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Friend is looking to buy an 80s bike. He's pretty mechanically inclined.

He's been looking a bit but then found this

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/mcy/1901686763.html

Which is about a 3 hour drive from where we live. Dude is willing to deliver to my friend if he pays up front.

Terrible idea?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

eviljelly posted:

Friend is looking to buy an 80s bike. He's pretty mechanically inclined.

He's been looking a bit but then found this

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/mcy/1901686763.html

Which is about a 3 hour drive from where we live. Dude is willing to deliver to my friend if he pays up front.

Terrible idea?
If he's set on an 80's bike, that's a deal.
If he's set on a $1500 bike, that's not a deal.

I wouldn't pay up front.
I would, however, be willing to send the seller an SMS with me holding a time/dated sign with my name/email address on it in one hand, and the cash for the purchase in the other hand.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

So drag bars and pod filters means cafe racer now, eh?

FieryMatrix
Dec 22, 2006

CORROSIVE
Causes severe eye and skin burns

FieryMatrix fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 18, 2020

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FieryMatrix posted:

Also, could someone walk me through (or direct me to a site describing) all the paperwork and steps I need to purchase a used bike (I am in NY, for what that's worth)?

1) Find bike you like, test ride it, haggle on price, if you can agree on price leave a few $100 with the owner as deposit.
2) Go back home, get it insured for the day you agree to purchase the bike.
3) Show up that day and go to a notary (most states you have to do this, AAA does it for free if either of you are a member), they'll notarize the title and give you some paper that you'll take to the DMV saying how much you paid. (You should also be able to get temp tags at this point.)
4) Get it inspected on temp tags.
5) Go to DMV pay for tax and tags, show that you got it inspected and it passed, show them your insurance, you get tags and ride it!

I think that about sums it up for most states.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

FieryMatrix posted:

There are some '09 models around for about $3000, which is somewhat tempting especially since the '08 redesign, but is more than $2500. I'd much rather spend around $2000. Do I try and get sellers to prices closer to Blue Book and my price range? Advice?

You're not going to find an '08+ for under $3000 without a salvage title unless you get extremely lucky. If $2500 is your hard ceiling then set your sights on a pre-'08 Ninja 250 and don't pay more than $1500. Use the other $1000 to buy good gear.

FieryMatrix
Dec 22, 2006

CORROSIVE
Causes severe eye and skin burns

FieryMatrix fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 18, 2020

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FieryMatrix posted:

The problem for me is the asking price for old models is $2000+ For stuff even before '05. Do people just put really high list prices, expecting people to bargain down to more reasonable prices? There's a low mileage '09 Ninja 250 about an hour away that's been listed on Craigslist a few times over the past month at $3200, but was just re-listed at $3000; I might check it out. Ideally though I'd like to go the $1500 for '05-'07, but I haven't seen many listed at reasonable prices.

Yeah, I think you're about right at 1500-1700 ish for a 05-07. That's about what they are going for around here:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1914002940.html
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1883818031.html
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1913452745.html

Then there's this one:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1910151074.html

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

frozenphil posted:

You're not going to find an '08+ for under $3000 without a salvage title unless you get extremely lucky. If $2500 is your hard ceiling then set your sights on a pre-'08 Ninja 250 and don't pay more than $1500. Use the other $1000 to buy good gear.
Selling mine for $2800! :)

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
http://memphis.craigslist.org/mcy/1919423990.html

Anyone have experience with this bike?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I live in Surrey, down the other end of the A3 from the E&C.

Where are you living in London? If you live in zone 1 and rarely leave the city, I agree with the suggestion of a Japanese 400 inline 4 or a single. One of my first pics for London traffic would be a CB1 (already mentioned) - the Honda 400cc naked.
Very quiet as long as no-one has stuck a loud end can on it, and very reliable as long as you have your local bike shop do the valve clearances as soon as you get it (flushing the coolant is also a good idea).

It's not even a question of power and new riders, you just don't need that much bike in central London. I know there are couriers are wheelieing through Covent Garden at 80mph, but you don't need to do that unless you also regularly ride while on drugs.

As grey import 400s are no longer very popular, you can get the less fashionable ones (i.e. not an NC35!) for next to nothing.

Other suggestions would be
(i) that staple of the new rider on both sides of the Pond, a GPz500/Ninja 500/EX500 (look for a later bike with twin front brakes),

(ii) an older single, like a Honda Dominator, possibly that Pegaso ^^^, or a KTM Duke II (London's a pretty good place to own a KTM as you have Bracken KTM a short tube ride away); or

(iii) an older Yamaha XJ6 Diversion - the older, air-cooled version with the fairing. The latter is cheap as gently caress, air cooled (so no worrying about being stuck crawling in traffic) and easy to insure, but still have enough performance for you not to get run down on the West Way.

Have you been checking out likely insurance costs? As a new rider in London, you are pretty much in the highest risk category for your age. That may push you towards something with lower performance.

Finally, 125s are not cheap in the UK, because they are the bikes you can ride with only a CBT and L plates on. You pay a steep premium for them because of this, as people (who can't be bothered to ride a bicycle) buy them to ride to their nearest train station, or to go to work without paying for parking. You can get a very nice CB1 for the cost of a decent 125 that hasn't been hosed up by several incompetent owners.

Iniquitous posted:

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK

Saga posted:

I live in Surrey, down the other end of the A3 from the E&C.

Where are you living in London? If you live in zone 1 and rarely leave the city, I agree with the suggestion of a Japanese 400 inline 4 or a single. One of my first pics for London traffic would be a CB1 (already mentioned) - the Honda 400cc naked.
Very quiet as long as no-one has stuck a loud end can on it, and very reliable as long as you have your local bike shop do the valve clearances as soon as you get it (flushing the coolant is also a good idea).

It's not even a question of power and new riders, you just don't need that much bike in central London. I know there are couriers are wheelieing through Covent Garden at 80mph, but you don't need to do that unless you also regularly ride while on drugs.

As grey import 400s are no longer very popular, you can get the less fashionable ones (i.e. not an NC35!) for next to nothing.

Other suggestions would be
(i) that staple of the new rider on both sides of the Pond, a GPz500/Ninja 500/EX500 (look for a later bike with twin front brakes),

(ii) an older single, like a Honda Dominator, possibly that Pegaso ^^^, or a KTM Duke II (London's a pretty good place to own a KTM as you have Bracken KTM a short tube ride away); or

(iii) an older Yamaha XJ6 Diversion - the older, air-cooled version with the fairing. The latter is cheap as gently caress, air cooled (so no worrying about being stuck crawling in traffic) and easy to insure, but still have enough performance for you not to get run down on the West Way.

Have you been checking out likely insurance costs? As a new rider in London, you are pretty much in the highest risk category for your age. That may push you towards something with lower performance.

Finally, 125s are not cheap in the UK, because they are the bikes you can ride with only a CBT and L plates on. You pay a steep premium for them because of this, as people (who can't be bothered to ride a bicycle) buy them to ride to their nearest train station, or to go to work without paying for parking. You can get a very nice CB1 for the cost of a decent 125 that hasn't been hosed up by several incompetent owners.
Thanks for the responses, guys. Looks like I'll be looking for a 400. I'm in Zone 1, so I'm still trying to figure out stuff like where I'd park, and as a relatively recent transplant I'm not even entirely sure about the procedure for getting a bike insured and registered over here. The CB1 looks like a good bet so I'll see if I can track one of those down.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Iniquitous posted:

Thanks for the responses, guys. Looks like I'll be looking for a 400. I'm in Zone 1, so I'm still trying to figure out stuff like where I'd park, and as a relatively recent transplant I'm not even entirely sure about the procedure for getting a bike insured and registered over here. The CB1 looks like a good bet so I'll see if I can track one of those down.

if you need help, you can ask me as I went through the same thing roughly 2 years ago moving from Canada.
For insurance I just used Carol Nash and they were pretty good and helpful. Parking is one of the best reasons to own a motorbike in London, there's plenty of free parking everywhere (except Westminster), probably around the corner from where you live even. Of course this will mean parking on the street so a good lock or a bike nobody wants to steal are a good idea.
Check this out to learn more about parking:
http://www.parkingforbikes.com/
click London, select your borough, and it'll tell you where you can park.

Also, buy my Pegaso. (It's also cheap to insure!)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Inquitous and Linedance, a friend and I are about to move to London ourselves and I'd be interested in hearing how you went re: transferring your licenses. Having learned to ride in Vietnam I have no motorbike license at all, so I'll have to start from scratch, but he has an Australian license that limits him to 250cc or less. Back in Australia he'd have to take another practical test after 1 year of that license to progress beyond 250cc, and he's wondering whether he'll also have to do that in the UK.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Okay so I'm down to these bikes. Last week I drove a friend out to drive this 81 CB750 (I didnt have my permit yet) and he liked how it rode but it had one issue. It took some time to start and after we took it for a spin it was pissing gas out of the carb like a racehorse. He took it apart and found that the float was stuck and has since put it back together and apparently its fine.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/mcy/1926059659.html

This popped up just recently and I'd love to have a triple for the goofy factor. Apparently they're decent bikes as well. He says the only problem is its cold blooded (which the Honda was as well) and that the radio buzzes a bit. Thats not much of an issue cause I'd be ripping that horrible fairing off as soon as I went home.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/mcy/1926123246.html

This CB500 is tempting too but the whole tuning thing and price are backing me away from it.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/1927066257.html

titanium fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 30, 2010

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

titanium posted:

This CB500 is tempting too but the whole tuning thing and price are backing me away from it.

I would suggest two things: 1) Patience, which I know is difficult, and 2) If it comes down to a toss-up between kicker/electric and electric only, get the kicker.

The 500 is overpriced by half, especially with a $40 ill-fitting seat cover, missing turn signals, etc. Disintegrated seat = time spent outside, time spent outside plus disintegrated seat = water invading the electrics.

If you're shopping in the MN/WI area, congratulations, you're in UJM heaven. Somewhere nearby, your bike is sitting in the original owner's garage, and it's been pampered and maintained by the book for the last three decades. Trust me, for $1200, you will not have to settle for less or search for long. This is where Peter Egan gets the bulk of his finds.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

freebooter posted:

Inquitous and Linedance, a friend and I are about to move to London ourselves and I'd be interested in hearing how you went re: transferring your licenses. Having learned to ride in Vietnam I have no motorbike license at all, so I'll have to start from scratch, but he has an Australian license that limits him to 250cc or less. Back in Australia he'd have to take another practical test after 1 year of that license to progress beyond 250cc, and he's wondering whether he'll also have to do that in the UK.

In short, if you haven't got a full license from where you came from, you have to start from scratch. I only had my Canadian M2 (motorcycle) license when I moved and had to do another road test to get my full "M" endorsement. I had to wait until I was eligible to do so as well. I enquired with the DVLA and they said unless you have a full license, they were very specific about that, it won't transfer to poo poo. But a full license transfers directly across. What I ended up doing was flying home and doing my test, then submitting my full license once I had it.
If you guys are over 21 you can do the Direct Access course which lets you get on an unrestricted bike right after you're done with the learner phase.
One other thing, you have exactly one year from the day you arrive to transfer into the UK system which will mean giving up your previous country's license. If you want to keep your old license in case you plan to move back, you'll probably have to start from scratch in the UK.
check here for more info:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022561

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

freebooter posted:

he has an Australian license that limits him to 250cc or less. Back in Australia he'd have to take another practical test after 1 year of that license to progress beyond 250cc

Anyone know if this is common in the US? And if so, is there an easy place to look it up online as to which states have such requirements and which don't? And on that note, if one state doesn't care, but another does, is it possible to get in trouble driving through the less-cool-state with your cool-state license?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone know if this is common in the US? And if so, is there an easy place to look it up online as to which states have such requirements and which don't? And on that note, if one state doesn't care, but another does, is it possible to get in trouble driving through the less-cool-state with your cool-state license?

Hahaha... Ahahahahahahahaha. HA... Ah... Yeah. US doesn't have any of that nonsense. It varies a little from state to state but at most all you need for an endorsement is a training course and a test. Edit: And no restrictions on what you can ride other than your wallet and your common sense.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 31, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

US licensing: pass this 25 question written test. Buy any bike you want in any size you want but no passengers, freeway, or night riding.

Perform a uturn and locate the controls on your bike. Congrats you have your full license. Don't die from all the freedom!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

titanium posted:

Okay so I'm down to these bikes.

Titanium: to illustrate my point. I spent exactly 5 minutes scanning the latest Twin Cities CL ads that meet the criteria I mention above and I'd say they're better candidates. I don't know what your skill level is, so that's obviously a factor.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/mcy/1928152020.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/1927361979.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/1926979767.html

That kept in the family XS650 won't last long. Better get it before the bobber boyz get there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Hahaha... Ahahahahahahahaha. HA... Ah... Yeah. US doesn't have any of that nonsense. It varies a little from state to state but at most all you need for an endorsement is a training course and a test. Edit: And no restrictions on what you can ride other than your wallet and your common sense.

Okay, just wanted to double-check. I know under some circumstances, there are restrictions, but I wasn't sure if it applied to the general population or not. When I took my rider course, there were a few military guys in there with me. They just assumed I was military as well, and when we were talking later, they were surprised I was allowed to ride the bike I had, since they thought I was under the same restrictions as they were. Apparently, those guys have to take further training to ride anything over 500cc or something. v:shobon:v

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Somehow a 2007 GSX-r 600 costs nearly as much to insure as a 2004-2005 CBR 1000. >:( screw you demographics. 2005-2006 ninja 636 looks to be the most promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

infraboy posted:

Somehow a 2007 GSX-r 600 costs nearly as much to insure as a 2004-2005 CBR 1000. >:( screw you demographics. 2005-2006 ninja 636 looks to be the most promising.

My 93 DR650 costs the same per month as my 89 GSXR 750. It has 1/3 the power.

:canada: (More specifically ICBC :()