Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Sarah Barracuda posted:

Apartment dwellers: is there an easier/better way to do this?? How do you keep sanitary? She's the only pet and it's the only litterbox but oh god she CRAPS SO MUCH.

I swear I'm the only one who knows about this item, so whenever I post it I get very :smug:

You should get your hands one of these babies:

It's the Omega Paw Roll'n Clean Litterbox. I know your problem isn't so much with scooping as it is with cleaning the actual box, but this works great for both purposes, as far as I can see.

The box scoops itself when you roll it over, then you pull out the catch tray, empty it and clean it, and you're done. You still have to clean out the box, but substantially less than with a regular box or an automated self-cleaner, since the mess gets deposited into the tray and the box itself stays relatively clean. I'd still go with the old shower/bleach routine if I didn't have access to a yard and a hose now, but I don't have to do it nearly as often; I'd say two-three weeks or once a month.

ETA: Forgot to mention, it's usually around $30-40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
OMG

I'M BUYING ONE

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Captain Foxy posted:

I swear I'm the only one who knows about this item, so whenever I post it I get very :smug:

You should get your hands one of these babies:

It's the Omega Paw Roll'n Clean Litterbox. I know your problem isn't so much with scooping as it is with cleaning the actual box, but this works great for both purposes, as far as I can see.

The box scoops itself when you roll it over, then you pull out the catch tray, empty it and clean it, and you're done. You still have to clean out the box, but substantially less than with a regular box or an automated self-cleaner, since the mess gets deposited into the tray and the box itself stays relatively clean. I'd still go with the old shower/bleach routine if I didn't have access to a yard and a hose now, but I don't have to do it nearly as often; I'd say two-three weeks or once a month.

ETA: Forgot to mention, it's usually around $30-40.
Knowing the cats I end up with, my cats would just pee directly at the litter next to that grate, causing the litter to bind to the grate and clog it up.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Captain Foxy posted:

:words: about a rolling litter box

My cat is a huge spoiled brat about his litter box so I had to go with the robotic version of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2XQVzV1LGc

Luckily I was able to get one from a friend who no longer had cats because they sell for between $270-$350.

Other cat related news: I was at the Petco near me yesterday and they had Merrick wet cat food, which was new for them. I think I remembered somebody needing a supplier for that...

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

I suspect our adopted cat may have been hit before coming to our home because she freaks out any time you approach her with an item in your hand. The second she sees you she tears rear end across the house and cowers under the bed for a good half hour. Obviously, this prevents me from brushing her coat which is contributing to hairballs. How can I brush her while keeping her calm? I've tried catching her (half)asleep, but I can only get a few strokes in before she realizes I'm holding something and freaks the gently caress out. Any ideas?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Is there a particular place-- the couch, a certain chair, etc-- that she likes to cuddle with you on? If so, can you keep the brush there so you can start brushing her once she settles in for a snuggle? It's going to take time, but the more you show her how nice the brush is (never corner her with it or force it on her), she should eventually get more used to it. Consistency is key.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

That is good advice Fire. That really makes me sad though. :( Does she even run away if you have nice things like toys and treats?

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007
So I have two cats of my own, and they love each other. I am taking care of another cat for a few weeks while my friend is on holiday. This cat hates all other cats. My cats are retarded and don't understand that the new cat hissing and growling means 'stay away!'. They keep trying to lick and snuggle the new cat. They literally do not know what another cat being angry looks like.

Are my cats gonna get raped?

*For now I keep them separated, kind of rough to confine a cat to the bathroom for a few hours a day but I don't know what the new cat will do to my dumb placid kitties.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

That is good advice Fire. That really makes me sad though. :( Does she even run away if you have nice things like toys and treats?

No, she's fine with toys. She's good with treats too but she refuses to eat anything out of my hand. She freaks out over anything with a handle or some length to it. Other than that she's a perfect little kitty - very warm, loving and playful.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
She could just be a big pussy. If anyone ever has to take care of my Kleng after I do, I'm sure they're going to think we used to beat him (but obviously, we haven't). That darn cat is just loving afraid of EVERYTHING for no drat reason.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
- 9 weeks
- Male
- 1 and a half weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? No
- What food do you use? Currently using something called "Recovery", otherwise the dry kitten formula from purina. Won't eat anything but the Recovery wet food.
- When was your last vet visit? Yesterday
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household?
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

We just got lil Niko and oh man what a hand full. Turns out he has ear mites and a mild case of giardia. I say mild because the result came up weak positive for the parasite. We've got him on medicine and HOPEFULLY it works. The thing is he's got diarrhea something awful. He is usually really good about getting or trying to get to the litter box, but doesn't always make it. Thats fine, we just watch him, but its still a little frustrating. The reason I post this and am looking for advice is because his lil butthole LEAKS. I mean, we literally have to hold him under the sink every few minutes because he leaks all over. Almost anywhere he sits it leaves a nasty spot. Its to the point where we can't cuddle or play with our kitty because we'll end up poo covered.

Does anyone have any advice on what we can do to help Niko not get crap everywhere? Its such a chore to have to watch the kitty all the time to make sure he doesn't sit down where there isn't a rag. Thanks in advance.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Jastiger posted:

- 9 weeks
- Male
- 1 and a half weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? No
- What food do you use? Currently using something called "Recovery", otherwise the dry kitten formula from purina. Won't eat anything but the Recovery wet food.
- When was your last vet visit? Yesterday
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household?
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

We just got lil Niko and oh man what a hand full. Turns out he has ear mites and a mild case of giardia. I say mild because the result came up weak positive for the parasite. We've got him on medicine and HOPEFULLY it works. The thing is he's got diarrhea something awful. He is usually really good about getting or trying to get to the litter box, but doesn't always make it. Thats fine, we just watch him, but its still a little frustrating. The reason I post this and am looking for advice is because his lil butthole LEAKS. I mean, we literally have to hold him under the sink every few minutes because he leaks all over. Almost anywhere he sits it leaves a nasty spot. Its to the point where we can't cuddle or play with our kitty because we'll end up poo covered.

Does anyone have any advice on what we can do to help Niko not get crap everywhere? Its such a chore to have to watch the kitty all the time to make sure he doesn't sit down where there isn't a rag. Thanks in advance.
Honestly I'd probably lock him in a bathroom with a litter box and newspaper on the floor for a couple days. Giardia is easily transmitted to humans, so you really don't want his diarrhea all over your house. Also, kittens are notorious for reinfecting themselves with stuff like giardia, so it's really important that you keep him, your house, and his litter box as disinfected as possible. If giardia is the only cause for his diarrhea, he should improve significantly within 2-3 days of starting the meds. If he doesn't, call your vet.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy
Obviously it depends on what they gave your cat, but the antibiotic they gave my kitty (clindamycin) for mild giardia listed diarrhea as a possible side effect. Telling its effectiveness meant having to check that he was going from a liquid mess to barely-formed poops.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Exelsior posted:

So I have two cats of my own, and they love each other. I am taking care of another cat for a few weeks while my friend is on holiday. This cat hates all other cats. My cats are retarded and don't understand that the new cat hissing and growling means 'stay away!'. They keep trying to lick and snuggle the new cat. They literally do not know what another cat being angry looks like.

Are my cats gonna get raped?

*For now I keep them separated, kind of rough to confine a cat to the bathroom for a few hours a day but I don't know what the new cat will do to my dumb placid kitties.

Just keep them apart for now. The new cat's in a strange house with strange cats and obviously doesn't want to make friends right now. I'd lock him in his own room and spend some time with him every day to make sure he doesn't get lonely.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Eggplant Wizard posted:

OMG

I'M BUYING ONE [a rolly litterbox]

Day 1: I love it love it love it, so easy, so not-touching-poopingly awesome!

Yaaay :neckbeard:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Day 1: I love it love it love it, so easy, so not-touching-poopingly awesome!

Yaaay :neckbeard:

Woohoo I earn mental commission in :smug: from your purchase!

Really though, just make sure you slide all the tabs into place before you roll it. Otherwise...poophands.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

It's a cool idea, just seems like a really small box. My cats have a huge plastic tub with a hole in it, I don't know if they'd like something tiny and hooded. :\

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.

SunknLiner posted:

No, she's fine with toys. She's good with treats too but she refuses to eat anything out of my hand. She freaks out over anything with a handle or some length to it. Other than that she's a perfect little kitty - very warm, loving and playful.

Do you think something like a grooming glove might work? If her triggers are that specific, you might be able to work around the issue for now. And the glove things are only a few bucks.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

HondaCivet posted:

It's a cool idea, just seems like a really small box. My cats have a huge plastic tub with a hole in it, I don't know if they'd like something tiny and hooded. :\

It is a pretty small area, but mine seem to be managing. Previously they had a big hulking covered litterbox. There is a larger size one too that might be more normal. Idk. My cats are apparently very chill about their litterbox, which is great for me.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Innovative Salad posted:

Do you think something like a grooming glove might work? If her triggers are that specific, you might be able to work around the issue for now. And the glove things are only a few bucks.

For that matter, I think a regular rubber glove, like you wear for washing dishes, should work pretty well since it works well to get pet hair off of furniture and stuff.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
- Sex: Male
- How long have you had your cat?: A few hours
- Is your cat spayed or neutered?: Not yet
- What food do you use?: Purina kitten mix
- When was your last vet visit?: Never
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both?: Indoors
- How many pets in your household?: 2
- How many litter boxes do you have?: 2

Just adopted a new kitten today. He is pretty active, eating, drinking, and using the litter box. We also got him tested for feline leukemia and aids. Our other cat (male, 7 years old) isn't quite too happy, but I'm sure he will get over it. The kitten has been sneezing once or twice every hour since we got him. He has also finally calmed down and is napping, but I noticed he would wake up and sneeze and a fair amount of snot (it is clear) would come out. He also shook his head once and some snot flew out. Of course my girlfriend and I are overly concerned, but should we be? Should we take him to the vet asap, or just watch him carefully?

Also, his poop smells like horrible.

Obligatory (blurry) kitty pics.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Since the kitten is too young to be away from its mother, and combined with the sneezing, I'd get to a vet ASAP. Has it had any of its kitten shots yet?

edit: The most important thing is to make sure the kitten is eating. A stuffy nose makes food not smell so great, so that leads to a loss of appetite. If your kitten starts refusing meals, you might think about an e-vet visit.

Meow Cadet fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 17, 2010

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
He received his first booster shot. And he is still eating, although he keeps trying to eat the big cats food. But his smell still seems to work. This snot that came out was fairly watered down.. haven't seen it since he took his nap. The sneezing continues though.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Keep him separated from your other cat so the other cat doesn't get the snots too. Put the kitten in a bathroom or a spare room and wash your hands and such after you play with him. It's probably some sort of URI that will just need to run it's snotty and sneezy course, but as he is pretty young, it could be other stuff too that you don't want your other cat to pick up as well. It's pretty young to be adopted out so keep an eye on it for any other signs of illness (not eating, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, etc). If you see any of those, it needs to go to a vet right away because kittens that young can go downhill pretty fast.

Basically if he's eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, he can likely wait to see the vet till monday. If any of those isn't happening, he needs to see a vet asap.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
We'd like a little help...

We've had our two little girls for 2 and a half months now. They're about 4 and a half months old. They're amazing in pretty much every way... however, they're driving us up the wall by climbing the walls! We're in rented accommodation, so we're rather concerned about the damage being done to the wallpaper, that's slowly getting shredded by our climbing cats. They're getting high enough up that they're above our heads! Personally, I've only seen one of them on the wall once (this morning) but the evidence is there! It's only one corner, by the front door.

Please help us save our walls!
Obviously, we're very against de-clawing them, and we're in the UK, so soft paws could work out expensive in terms of postage. If you wonderful PIers can't think of any other option, we will invest in soft paws. :)

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Do you have a tall cat tree they could climb instead? If you simply trimmed their claws do you think they could still climb the walls?

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

Meow Cadet posted:

Do you have a tall cat tree they could climb instead? If you simply trimmed their claws do you think they could still climb the walls?

We have one of these, but they're climbing further up the wall than that.
Not sure about trimming their claws. It might help, but I doubt it'll stop them climbing all together. They'll still try, and probably just destroy the lower portion of the wall!!!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

SubbyMinx posted:

We have one of these, but they're climbing further up the wall than that.
Not sure about trimming their claws. It might help, but I doubt it'll stop them climbing all together. They'll still try, and probably just destroy the lower portion of the wall!!!
It would be better if you had a cat tree that is taller than you are. I've had a couple of 6-7 footers for 10+ years now. The cats LIVE on them. Expensive at first, but worth their weight in gold.

On the other hand, you have 4 month old kittens. They're assholes. I'd say there's an 85% chance they'll grow out of the wall climbing phase in a few months.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

SubbyMinx posted:

Trim their caws and cap them. Softpaws are a great way to keep your cats from destroying things.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
My cat is annoyingly good at slipping out of collars. I don't know if they're just getting worn out or they're cheap or what. Anyone have any collars they particularly like for their cat? Price doesn't really matter.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Meow Cadet posted:

It would be better if you had a cat tree that is taller than you are. I've had a couple of 6-7 footers for 10+ years now. The cats LIVE on them. Expensive at first, but worth their weight in gold.

On the other hand, you have 4 month old kittens. They're assholes. I'd say there's an 85% chance they'll grow out of the wall climbing phase in a few months.

When does the adolescent rear end in a top hat phase usually end? My cat is 6 months old and crazy.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

When does the adolescent rear end in a top hat phase usually end? My cat is 6 months old and crazy.

Usually around 2 years old is when cats begin to mellow out

enjoy! :keke:

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Kerfuffle posted:

My cat is annoyingly good at slipping out of collars. I don't know if they're just getting worn out or they're cheap or what. Anyone have any collars they particularly like for their cat? Price doesn't really matter.

My cat seems to like his Beastie Band. He only tries to get it off when it's too loose.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

Usually around 2 years old is when cats begin to mellow out

enjoy! :keke:

Nooo! Mein carpets.

She's taken to clawing up the carpet in the corners. I have no idea what to do about it.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Nooo! Mein carpets.

She's taken to clawing up the carpet in the corners. I have no idea what to do about it.

Get scratching post. If you already have one, try a different kind.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

RheaConfused posted:

Get scratching post. If you already have one, try a different kind.

She has a perch that she claws all the time and one of those cardboard things that she claws all the time. I'll try rubbing catnip on them or something.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

She has a perch that she claws all the time and one of those cardboard things that she claws all the time. I'll try rubbing catnip on them or something.

Do you trim her nails regularly? Have you tried putting the things she likes to claw over the areas of carpet she is scratching?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey there, Goons of PI. My family's tiny cat turned fifteen this year. She definitely isn't as active as she used to be, and is much more affectionate than she was when she was younger. She'll still chase after the occasional laser pointer, but it takes some effort to get her attention now.

She's always been a pretty healthy beast, but is there anything specific I should keep in mind about taking care of an old-rear end cat?

She mostly sleeps a lot nowadays :unsmith:

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Kerfuffle posted:

I use the breakaway version from this company: http://nationalleash.com/cat_safety_collar.htm

It's the only collar I can consistently get my cat to wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

YggiDee posted:

Hey there, Goons of PI. My family's tiny cat turned fifteen this year. She definitely isn't as active as she used to be, and is much more affectionate than she was when she was younger. She'll still chase after the occasional laser pointer, but it takes some effort to get her attention now.

She's always been a pretty healthy beast, but is there anything specific I should keep in mind about taking care of an old-rear end cat?

She mostly sleeps a lot nowadays :unsmith:

Take lots of pictures and watch for sudden weight loss or loss of appetite. Old rear end cats are great because they pretty much give no gently caress. Nothing to do but get petted and sleep. Oh, but begging for meals will probably be the same level of irritating. :rolleyes: