Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Sorry but I was too slack to read all 120+ pages ban me later. My housemate just got his L's (learner licence so he stuck doing 80Km/h for like 18+ months) and I like to take him riding every weekend/public holiday as it is spring here now (Tassie). Anyway I'm riding my Hyosung 650 Comet and I love her and all but it's just I'm ready to do different things. I want some dirt capability and something I can toss some panniers on and go away for extended periods that's comfortable (rides are quite a bit longer when you have to go slow). I'd like to still be able to drop the panniers and have fun so I was thinking maybe a supermotard because that thread made it look so fun. Anyway I was thinking one of the following and was just after some opinions and feed back from people with more experience than I.

In rough order of how much I like 'em.

Suzuki - DR400SM
A bit of a star around here it seams. If it was cheaper would it be worth buying the 400S and just slapping 'combie' tyers on her?

BMW - F800GS
I rode my brothers old F650 for about 6 weeks (mine was in the shop, which I now avoid like the plague) and liked it a lot.

Yamaha - XT660R

Yamaha - Tenere

Suzuki - DR650SE

Kawasaki - Versys 650

Honda - XR400

BMW - G450X
I'm no off road fiend but I think this is a sexy bike.

Honda - CT110AG
Comedy option! Or is it? yes I think it is

I'm open to any suggestions of other bikes like KTMs and Huskys look the business as do Ducatis(but I don't like 'em much). I understand Thriumph are on the verge of releasing an 800 Tiger which could be sweeter than honey. I know that it's all in the ride and If I could I would ride one of each but I'm still on my P's (a month or so to go) and that makes dealers skeptical plus in a town not a lot of shops have demo bikes. I don't expect you all to say Oh yeah this is the bike for you but I'd like to hear some feelings(oo0 how :girl:).

first edit was because I am an arse and stuffed a link.

second to add:

I just found this BMW Xcountry I've never see one before but I really like the look of them. There a quite a few secondhand ones near(ish) by in VIC anyone know about them?

3rd times a charm:

vvvvv I don't really have one. I like a good deal as much as the next bloke but 25k wouldn't be out of the question. That said spending less to see how long I want to ride like this may be advisable.

Tasmantor fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What's your budget?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
The RXS will be nice, just slow. Yam's air-cooled 2 strokes are fairly bulletproof and if it really does only have 3000 miles and hasn't been run without oil, should keep going indefinitely. Getting the head off for new rings (wait until it gets really rattly...) is really, really simple on these.

Based on my experience with my '76 TY, the lack of 'leccy leg is not an issue. CR is low and if plugs and points are OK, starting should not be an issue.

How good are you with electrics? This will likely be 6 volt electrics and no electronic ignition. There are full conversion kits for TYs so you can go to CDI, but I don't know what support for the road bikes is like. It's quite easy to completely rewire these things - they're about as simple as it gets.

BlueBayou posted:

My quest for a new bike continues.

Looking at this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2005012801.html

AND (posted before in diff thread)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2013450919.html

I emailed that guy, but forgot to include my phone number, so I'll probably email again tomorrow with my number.

I'm looking for classic looking older bikes, but I keep getting hella worried that such bikes are a recipe for disaster and I should just save up for a newer Bonneville

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Unless I misunderstand Tassie completely, you probably have a lot of pukka dirt riding available.

The problem with the big trailie lookalikes you're bringing up is that they're not much cop off road (unless you're a genuine crusty demon of dirt and just rear wheel steer your way everywhere). Sure, they can handle hard-packed dirt, but so can your Hyosung (especially with some dual-purpose tyres). They're all far too heavy and unwieldy, and some of your suggestions have far too much expensive plastic on them. Honestly, the postie bike will be better on dirt than a lot of those things. Slower in a straight line, but much better round corners or on anything not perfectly flat!

I'm not a huge DRZ-4 fan, but for a dual-purpose bike that has proper dirt capabilities and acceptable road capabilites, one of those with a spare set of wheels would be a good choice. For a dirt-focussed choice (albeit it's a bit big for tight woods stuff), an XR400 is also excellent. You can't kill em with sticks.

As far as DR-Z S or SM, Suzuki (or the Aussie distributor) may have different suspension setup on the SM. Whether you want an S or an SM probably just depends on where you will be riding mostly (dirt or tarmac) Yer pays yer money etc.

AFAIK, the G450X is a full-on enduro bike. It's not going to be any cop on the road and, unless BMW have waved a magic wand, will require you tearing down the top end annually. Or sooner, if you ride daily. I'd like one too, but only if I was completely surrounded by dirt roads!

Another alternative is a KTM Duke II (again with DP tyres or spare wheels), or one of the 690 variants (e.g. 690 SMC, 690SM, 690 Duke). The Duke basically has road suspension and is a bit heavy, but on paved roads is fairly awesome, and should be able to manage dirt as the geometry and ergos are like a trailie. Whether you have a KTM dealer handy in Tassie is another question though.

Tasmantor posted:

Sorry but I was too slack to read all 120+ pages ban me later. My housemate just got his L's (learner licence so he stuck doing 80Km/h for like 18+ months) and I like to take him riding every weekend/public holiday as it is spring here now (Tassie). Anyway I'm riding my Hyosung 650 Comet and I love her and all but it's just I'm ready to do different things. I want some dirt capability and something I can toss some panniers on and go away for extended periods that's comfortable (rides are quite a bit longer when you have to go slow). I'd like to still be able to drop the panniers and have fun so I was thinking maybe a supermotard because that thread made it look so fun. Anyway I was thinking one of the following and was just after some opinions and feed back from people with more experience than I.

In rough order of how much I like 'em.

Suzuki - DR400SM
A bit of a star around here it seams. If it was cheaper would it be worth buying the 400S and just slapping 'combie' tyers on her?

BMW - F800GS
I rode my brothers old F650 for about 6 weeks (mine was in the shop, which I now avoid like the plague) and liked it a lot.

Yamaha - XT660R

Yamaha - Tenere

Suzuki - DR650SE

Kawasaki - Versys 650

Honda - XR400

BMW - G450X
I'm no off road fiend but I think this is a sexy bike.

Honda - CT110AG
Comedy option! Or is it? yes I think it is

I'm open to any suggestions of other bikes like KTMs and Huskys look the business as do Ducatis(but I don't like 'em much). I understand Thriumph are on the verge of releasing an 800 Tiger which could be sweeter than honey. I know that it's all in the ride and If I could I would ride one of each but I'm still on my P's (a month or so to go) and that makes dealers skeptical plus in a town not a lot of shops have demo bikes. I don't expect you all to say Oh yeah this is the bike for you but I'd like to hear some feelings(oo0 how :girl:).

first edit was because I am an arse and stuffed a link.

second to add:

I just found this BMW Xcountry I've never see one before but I really like the look of them. There a quite a few secondhand ones near(ish) by in VIC anyone know about them?

3rd times a charm:

vvvvv I don't really have one. I like a good deal as much as the next bloke but 25k wouldn't be out of the question. That said spending less to see how long I want to ride like this may be advisable.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Saga posted:

Unless I misunderstand Tassie completely, you probably have a lot of pukka dirt riding available.

The problem with the big trailie lookalikes you're bringing up is that they're not much cop off road (unless you're a genuine crusty demon of dirt and just rear wheel steer your way everywhere). Sure, they can handle hard-packed dirt, but so can your Hyosung (especially with some dual-purpose tyres). They're all far too heavy and unwieldy, and some of your suggestions have far too much expensive plastic on them. Honestly, the postie bike will be better on dirt than a lot of those things. Slower in a straight line, but much better round corners or on anything not perfectly flat!

I'm not a huge DRZ-4 fan, but for a dual-purpose bike that has proper dirt capabilities and acceptable road capabilites, one of those with a spare set of wheels would be a good choice. For a dirt-focussed choice (albeit it's a bit big for tight woods stuff), an XR400 is also excellent. You can't kill em with sticks.

As far as DR-Z S or SM, Suzuki (or the Aussie distributor) may have different suspension setup on the SM. Whether you want an S or an SM probably just depends on where you will be riding mostly (dirt or tarmac) Yer pays yer money etc.

AFAIK, the G450X is a full-on enduro bike. It's not going to be any cop on the road and, unless BMW have waved a magic wand, will require you tearing down the top end annually. Or sooner, if you ride daily. I'd like one too, but only if I was completely surrounded by dirt roads!

Another alternative is a KTM Duke II (again with DP tyres or spare wheels), or one of the 690 variants (e.g. 690 SMC, 690SM, 690 Duke). The Duke basically has road suspension and is a bit heavy, but on paved roads is fairly awesome, and should be able to manage dirt as the geometry and ergos are like a trailie. Whether you have a KTM dealer handy in Tassie is another question though.

Thanks mate very insight full and help full. Just to add to my post some the new bike draw is more about having a bike that doesn't kill to ride for 10+ hours and can handle dirt, with some kit for when I go bush walking. I don't really need it to be a dirt squirter I'll by a proper (cheep) dirt bike to leave on the farm for when I have that itch to scratch. With that said would you change your stance very much? I would be more of a tour customer in the Adventure Touring market.

Tasmantor fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 21, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Four of the last five posts make almost no sense to me.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Four of the last five posts make almost no sense to me.

Fer dinkum. :)

Tasmantor, I'd still go with something a bit more dirt because you don't want anything that's going to break if you come a cropper. For example, have you seen where the water pump is on an XT660R? Drop it on a rock 5 hours from home and I don't fancy your chances.

An XR400 can be made pretty road friendly, as long as you don't need to be doing 80+ mph on the road. They've also been around for yonks and have a ton of support from the aftermarket. You can stick a big tank on them and get huge mileage (KTM does long-distance tanks for the 640 bikes as well). That's probably what I'd choose if I were you.

If you're really doing most of the riding on the road, I'd honestly consider just putting some Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on your Hyosung and putting heli-bars and a gel seat on it (or whatever it needs to make it easier to ride long distances). Looks strange, but I had a mate who used dual-purpose tyres and riser bars on an SV650 because he lived out in the woods. It worked very well on unpaved roads, as long as he didn't get into anything with ruts and rocks.

If you're going anywhere really rugged where you couldn't take the Hyosung and you think a trail bike would be too painful to ride long distance, I'd go for a 2004-2007 KTM 640 Adventure with a set of panniers before an F650 Dakar or a X-Country.
Lighter and better suspended than the F650, but with a screen.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Your Hyosung is not going to be much worse offroad than the larger adventure bikes will be, as stated earlier, besides the more limited suspension travel. This guy on a Ducati Hypermotard kept up with my KTM 625 SMC fine in gravel and dirt roads. Also, there's always the story of the guy who raced an SV650 against motards on a motard course and finished 4th or something.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

Pretty sure the BMW G bikes are pretty normal, fairly softly tuned engines. They're not exactly Aprilia SXV/RXV's*. I could be mistaken though. They kind of got forgotten about this side of the equator.

*OP there's a suggestion for you, an Aprilia RXV/SXV!... oh wait, extended periods and comfort were in your criteria... never mind

edit- looks like I was mixing up the G650 X____ with an unknown-to-me G450X... sorry!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 21, 2010

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The G450X is rated at 41 hp stock and 52 hp in "race-tune", at least here in Sweden.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Thanks guys it's looking like I'll go the XR400 or DR400. The problem with my bike is it's the "super sport" (read fully faired) Comet so to make it comfey I'd have to do quite a bit of work to it and even then it probably wouldn't be what I want.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I wish this bike weren't so far away from me:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2016649807.html

God its so pretty

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Tasmantor posted:

Thanks guys it's looking like I'll go the XR400 or DR400. The problem with my bike is it's the "super sport" (read fully faired) Comet so to make it comfey I'd have to do quite a bit of work to it and even then it probably wouldn't be what I want.

This thread might give you some idea - big Acerbis (or similar) tank would be a first step for me, I had one for my Duke II. With a ~50mpg single you can get stupid miles out of one of these tanks.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210121

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Tasmantor posted:

Thanks mate very insight full and help full. Just to add to my post some the new bike draw is more about having a bike that doesn't kill to ride for 10+ hours and can handle dirt, with some kit for when I go bush walking. I don't really need it to be a dirt squirter I'll by a proper (cheep) dirt bike to leave on the farm for when I have that itch to scratch. With that said would you change your stance very much? I would be more of a tour customer in the Adventure Touring market.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see any of those bikes Saga discussed being anything but absolute murder to ride 10+ hours. I know from experience that the Duke will have both you and your rear end hating life at the end of something like that.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Hot Buttered posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see any of those bikes Saga discussed being anything but absolute murder to ride 10+ hours. I know from experience that the Duke will have both you and your rear end hating life at the end of something like that.

Which one? My Duke II was no worse than any other bike I've owned.

Better probably - you could sit on the filler cap if you got bored of the middle. Or on the tail and just fold in two for efficient high-speed aeros. :)

He didn't include a K-LT or a Goldwing in his list, so there probably aren't any suitable machines that will make 10 hours effortless.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Hot Buttered posted:

My but can take a pounding :gay: without complaint, I just want to get off my wrists and not have to hold my head back so much and sit more upright for a change.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

I wish this bike weren't so far away from me:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2016649807.html

God its so pretty

LOL at the guy saying it still has original tires with "plenty of tread left." Yeah, running around on 1980 rubber sounds like a great idea, look at all the tread depth it has left!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

LOL at the guy saying it still has original tires with "plenty of tread left." Yeah, running around on 1980 rubber sounds like a great idea, look at all the tread depth it has left!

I'm more worried about the "creampuff"

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Well obv I'd offer him way less than he wants because of the tires. I just don't want to do the hour long drive on the highway back to my house.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Tasmantor posted:

I want some dirt capability and something I can toss some panniers on and go away for extended periods that's comfortable (rides are quite a bit longer when you have to go slow). I'd like to still be able to drop the panniers and have fun so I was thinking maybe a supermotard because that thread made it look so fun. Anyway I was thinking one of the following and was just after some opinions and feed back from people with more experience than I.

A couple of points to ponder on the DRZ 400.

I bought an S a month or two ago and converted it to an S(M) with new wheels, speedo, and 320mm front disc. I dig it, it's loads of fun to ride, I don't have any trouble with the suspension (I did dial it up harder by a fair bit, though). I laid it down once at about 25 and it bounced back without flinching.

I do not consider this a bike that is any fun to go distances on. I know there is a lot of back and forth on this forum about using little thumpers for major miles and people do it but I definitely would not want to. Granted, I'm a fairly new rider and my longest day so far was still under 500 miles, but I can't imagine doing any kind of touring on the DRZ. On highways, the thing is a goddamn sail in the wind with a small piece of plastic digging into your taint.

Also, comfort is not something I have really ever experienced on that bike--stock seat or aftermarket. Its profile is just too narrow to really settle into.

If you want a DRZ, rock one. It has lots of good things going for it--just be realistic in your expectations.

Also, if you buy an S to convert, don't do it for budgetary reasons because you're not actually going to save much (if any) money. Once you get a decent set of wheels, a speedo, the upgraded front disc, etc, you're going to easily cover hte gap between an S and an SM. I got a killer deal on the SM conversion stuff and still ran well past the asking prices of a couple SMs in my area. In retrospect, I should have probably just spent the extra grand and bought the bike I really wanted.

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
So I'm saving up for a bike! I've always wanted one, and now my finances are about to permit it. I have about 2000 miles experience on a 125cc scooter. I'm also hoping to make a cross country trip this summer.

Everything I've read points me to a Ninja 500 or and SV650. While I can afford both those bikes I'm not sure what I should do. With a long trip the less I spend on the bike the better, but I dont want to cheap out and have a P.O.S. break down on me half way across America.

I have a budget of 2,000 dollars, and I guess my question is would the ninja or sv650 be the best choice, or maybe a cheap older UJM?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wander, you should try a proper aftermarket seat. I hated the gel seat, it was worse for me than the stock one. The one that I recovered and foamed is great.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Ethox posted:

So I'm saving up for a bike! I've always wanted one, and now my finances are about to permit it. I have about 2000 miles experience on a 125cc scooter. I'm also hoping to make a cross country trip this summer.

Everything I've read points me to a Ninja 500 or and SV650. While I can afford both those bikes I'm not sure what I should do. With a long trip the less I spend on the bike the better, but I dont want to cheap out and have a P.O.S. break down on me half way across America.

I have a budget of 2,000 dollars, and I guess my question is would the ninja or sv650 be the best choice, or maybe a cheap older UJM?

If you're in california, this is excellent.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348503

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've been thinking about my next bike, I'm looking for a function-over-form dual sport and I'd like to hear peoples recommendations, requirements are as follows:

Bomb-proof reliability
1-2 Cylinders (preferably 1)
Easy service
Long intervals
Dirt capable
Parts availability
Light-ish weight
Chain drive

Basically I want a dirt-simple bike that I can fit some Pelican-panniers and extra fuel to and ride to the ends of the earth. I desire simplicity over all things.

The list so far:

Suzuki DR-something
Kawasaki KLR-something
Yamaha XT-something
Honda XR-something

Basically, if you had to ride a motorcycle into a dystopian post-apocalypse, what would you ride?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've been thinking about my next bike, I'm looking for a function-over-form dual sport and I'd like to hear peoples recommendations, requirements are as follows:

Bomb-proof reliability
1-2 Cylinders (preferably 1)
Easy service
Long intervals
Dirt capable
Parts availability
Light-ish weight
Chain drive

Basically I want a dirt-simple bike that I can fit some Pelican-panniers and extra fuel to and ride to the ends of the earth. I desire simplicity over all things.

The list so far:

Suzuki DR-something
Kawasaki KLR-something
Yamaha XT-something
Honda XR-something

Basically, if you had to ride a motorcycle into a dystopian post-apocalypse, what would you ride?

The real question here for you is air cooled or water cooled? Because water cooled, I'd go with the DRZ, no doubt. Air cooled, I'd probably go with the DR650 or something along those lines. XR650L would also be on the air cooled list. Any of the air cooled 650s probably wouldn't be a bad choice.

The advantages to the DRZ400S is that it's got loads of parts/aftermarket, 15k valve checks, figure 30-45k adjustments (if it's been done right, although they are shim under bucket), bomb proof reliable (upwards of 80k on the engine if it remains mostly stockish, 40k+ on BB kitted bikes). Service is easy (although you'd be hard pressed to find difficult service on most dual sports outside of the exotics), it's one of the most offroad capable of the dual sports capable of running on the freeway for extended periods, 300 pounds, and chain drive.

Comedy option is something like a F800 variant.

But distopia apocalypse bike would be a DRZ400SM with sport touring tires on it. Knobbies wear out too quickly. Figure that with a light, low HP single with harder tires, you could get 10k out of a set of tires, 45k before the bike needs anything besides oil and gasoline (if the first valve adjust was done right), it's relatively easy on tires/chains/sprockets, and that'd be the bike for me.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 26, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think there's anything that fits the bill better then a KLR650. The DL650 that Z3n suggested, which I ride everyday, is a great bike as well. But it's much more road-oriented, and more mechanically complex (water-cooled, fuel injected, etc).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well gently caress, I meant DR650.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hmm, so DRZ400 sounds like a strong contender, as does the KLR.

I like that the KLR got picked for Marines to break (albeit in a Diesel derivative) if they're any bit as destructive as our British squaddies then it won't have been picked lightly.

Which reminds me of a possible-comedy-maybe-not-so option: ex British Army MT350, these were built under contract by Harley with air cooled rotax 350 motors and the Army is currently getting rid of these for £600-750 a piece. Assuming it hasn't been pranged by any careless squaddies (and that is a big assumption) this might be an option. Capable off road, army surplus market is flooded with cheap parts right now, designed for field maintenance in a north european ground war with russia.

Edit: And it has panniers for assault rifles!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tsaven Nava posted:

KLR650

Also has a monstrous aftermarket, though maybe not as performance-oriented as the DRZ. Huge following, mostly old dudes, mostly very frugal. If you're looking for something you can beat the crap out of, get a first-gen. Suspension and brakes are higher-spec on the second gen, but the hard plastic fairing breaks if you drop it. Either generation is still not quite as simple as the DR or the XR, since it's liquid cooled.

On the 650 singles: received wisdom is that the KLR is most road-oriented, XR650L is most dirt-oriented, the DR650 is in between. No idea about the Yamaha since they ain't sold it in north america in ages.

Honestly having lived with a second-gen I'd be tempted to try the DR or the DRZ.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Pre-2008 KLRs can also be had with for really cheap, usually with a bunch of nice addons included.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Phy posted:

[KLR650] has a monstrous aftermarket,

Consisting largely of milk jugs and whatever else the riders have been able to scavenge from dumpsters :)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Tsaven Nava posted:

Consisting largely of milk jugs and whatever else the riders have been able to scavenge from dumpsters :)

Hey milk crates make excellent tail/saddle bags ok.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Hmm, so DRZ400 sounds like a strong contender, as does the KLR.

I like that the KLR got picked for Marines to break (albeit in a Diesel derivative) if they're any bit as destructive as our British squaddies then it won't have been picked lightly.

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but in Britain I don't think you need anything enormous. We don't have anything that looks like Arizona - outside of a few bits of Wales and the north and west of Scotland, the average BOAT is either unpaved lane or a tight, muddy rutted to gently caress track through woods.

I would say, if you want something to run with a spare set of wheels on the road, the ubiquitous DRZ400, or if you're brave and handy with tools, a CCM 404DS/450DS.

If you want something that you can use on local BOATs and take on holiday a bit further afield, XR400.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Saga posted:

If you want something that you can use on local BOATs and take on holiday a bit further afield, XR400.

I am interested in your ideas and I would like to take a pamphlet.

XR400 vs. DRZ400, as far as I can tell:

Lighter
Air cooled
Currently about 30-40% cheaper
Still has good OEM and After-market parts

Sounds good. I'm thinking install a larger fuel tank, maybe improved lighting and we might have a winner.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Tsaven Nava posted:

I don't think there's anything that fits the bill better then a KLR650. The DL650 that Z3n suggested, which I ride everyday, is a great bike as well. But it's much more road-oriented, and more mechanically complex (water-cooled, fuel injected, etc).

KLR is water cooled as well hth.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

I am interested in your ideas and I would like to take a pamphlet.

XR400 vs. DRZ400, as far as I can tell:

Lighter
Air cooled
Currently about 30-40% cheaper
Still has good OEM and After-market parts

Sounds good. I'm thinking install a larger fuel tank, maybe improved lighting and we might have a winner.

Yes, take a pamphlet and feel free to ask me anything you want about the Church of Scientology!

Oh yeah bikes.

That's pretty much what I would buy if I wanted a "proper" dual sport. I live in twatting Surrey (probably the worst possible county for it - you can get away with more in the GLA assuming you ride in Brixton and the seedier bits of Camden), so I haven't even bothered putting an MOT on my KDX. It's that bad around here. I await an e-mail from the TRF saying a TRO is being considered for the A3.

Not sure how the DRZ market is? My local dealers seemed to have them in spades - I sort of got the impression Suzuki overestimated the market for the SM version and that there was stock not shifting. In which case a few cheeky offers might net you one with dirt wheels for stupid money. Might be imagining that.

Tsaven, we live in a small rainy island where dirt bikes are definitely not free to roam. The KLR would get to about second gear and then run into a forest, bog or shopping center and get stuck/hit by an MPV. People who actually want to ride off road tend to buy "little" trail bikes (Serow, TTR250) or just put an enduro/mx bike on the road and live with the power delivery. I'm not saying no-one has ever bought a KLR, but they're sort of in the dinosaur category over here.

Legal dirt riding in my county basically involves 200 meter sections of unsurfaced road at 5 mile intervals, where the residents sneak out at night to put up wire or baling twine at neck height and the local council has an order pending to ban all motorised traffic.

StinkingWolf
Jul 23, 2001
Morally Bankrupt
I'm a new rider, and wanted to get an opinion on this: http://jackson.craigslist.org/mcy/2023356425.html

The "paint isn't the best and the cluster moves a little" bit worries me. It looks like the cluster might be duct-taped in. Should I pass?

Is it just me, or is the exhaust missing?

EDIT: Yeah, I think I need to pass on this unless I can talk him down. What would be a reasonable price?

StinkingWolf fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 26, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Seller sounds like a dumbass, I'd assume all the consumables (oil, air filter, tires, chain and sprockets) are toast. Also, it looks like there is no exhaust on it and it probably runs like poo poo and perhaps needs a front fairing stay to properly mount the gauge cluster. Maybe $500? I'd probably just pass though unless you really want a minor fixer-upper for cheap.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
"email at thehulkman6723@yahoo.com name is brian thanks"

:haw:

NO MAKE FUN OF BRIAN BIKE! BRIAN WILL SMASH! BRIAN BUY JEEP WRANGLER THEN SHOW YOU ALL! :cry:

OK, maybe I've had too much coffee today. But I still think the juxtaposition (and the lovely bike) are hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Are there any dirt bikes that arent crazy tall? I like to be able to put both feet down when I come to a stop.