Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Wow that sounds crazy. Hope you get better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So I run a beekeeping club at my university and we have a few hives on campus that we maintain and show off to freshmen. We also do a yearly honey harvest, which was this past weekend. We ended up with a little less than we had last year, but still managed a pretty good haul. Here are a tiny sampling of the pictures from the harvest:

We had a huge showing for the harvest. Way more people than we had suits or space for, but it all worked out and I think all the people that wanted to work with the bees got to suit up.

We started too late in the afternoon, by the time we finished bottling it was dark out and getting close to bedtime

Tossing the girls into the air. We didn't get a single sting, which I was shocked by since there were so many people.

:)

We were loaned a pretty schmancy uncapping knife for the harvest. It worked pretty well, but it was definitely the most dangerous part of the harvest. At least three burns!

A small small part of the afterparty cleanup.

:}

The haul! We ended up with a little under 5 gallons of honey at the end of the day.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Maximusi posted:

My neighbor, who is a doctor, saw my bee sting and basically told me that I was allergic. It's not normal to swell that much, apparently. After that, I took 2 benadryl a day just to get the swelling and itchiness down. I posted this pic on goon doctor as well and they told me the same thing. :/

A lot of GPs are terrible at allergies. Reactions to beestings vary wildly, even in the same person. Your reaction can depend on a variety of factors, such as:
Where you were stung.
How often you've been stung.
How deep the stinger worked itself.
How quickly you removed the stinger.
How much venom was injected.
The hive you were working with.

Here are two stings that I got yesterday:

Sting 1: Ring finger on right hand. Only a little penetration and a little venom. Got it out quickly and it's gone already.

Sting 2: Different hive, working without gloves again. She got me full on, stinger fully embedded and a full load of venom. Pinched out the stinger. Little pain, as long as I don't flex it, but the local swelling is impressive. It was taut, until I took Benadryl and iced it.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
For me it took like a week for the swelling to go completely down.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Maximusi posted:

For me it took like a week for the swelling to go completely down.

Mines back to (practically) normal today. Swelling lasted for about a day and a half, which doesn't seem too bad.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I pulled all the full frames out of my two supers this weekend. I wasn't expecting any honey at all this year as I started the hive from a 5 frame nuc at the end of May. 15 frames were mostly capped and it worked out to about 45 pounds of amazing honey, very light and not overpoweringly sweet.

My question is what to do with the supers now? I have two large bodies on the bottom and the top one is pretty full of honey, I'm just wondering if they would be better off with that and a super for the winter or if that would make the hive too big and harder to keep warm?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the answer depends enormously on where you live.

Here in California, the fall nectar flow is just getting under way, and our winters are mild. We've returned all three supers to the bees (along with the foundation wax and whatever honey wasn't thrown by the extractor) and I wouldn't be surprised if they fill all three before the end of the season.

Moreover, we might have two or three nights all winter that get below freezing. Last year we had a really cold winter and actually had snow on the bay area peaks down to 2000 feet twice. The point being, our bees won't need as much honey to keep warm and will be able to keep a larger space warm just fine.

On the other hand, if you live somewhere that it's likely to be snowing by the end of October, they won't have as much fall nectar to make honey with; and if it gets very cold or stays below freezing for many days on end, you'll need to take more measures to insure they can keep warm.

I'd suggest getting advice from your local beekeepers on the subject, because they'll be most familiar with the nectar flow and seasonal changes where you live.

Oh, and also: that honey is gorgeous, it's very light and almost has a greenish hue to the light yellow. What's it taste like?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Thanks, the honey is delicious and easily the best I've ever tasted. Compared to store bought, it's half as thick and about 75% as sweet. It soaks right into bread instead of chilling on top. Clover and alfalfa were pretty dominant around here for a while.

I'm up in Eastern Ontario so I'll ask around. We can get -22F for a week or more up here.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Ikantski posted:

I pulled all the full frames out of my two supers this weekend. I wasn't expecting any honey at all this year as I started the hive from a 5 frame nuc at the end of May. 15 frames were mostly capped and it worked out to about 45 pounds of amazing honey, very light and not overpoweringly sweet.

My question is what to do with the supers now? I have two large bodies on the bottom and the top one is pretty full of honey, I'm just wondering if they would be better off with that and a super for the winter or if that would make the hive too big and harder to keep warm?

Leperflesh is right. Talk to your local beekeeping association and see what they do about now. I live in NY, so our climate is reasonably similar. I've extracted my honey, and I've given the supers back to the bees for a week to allow them to clear out any of the honey that didn't spin out in the extractor. Then, depending on how their stores in the brood chamber look, I might feed them some heavy sugar syrup (2:1) to supplement.

Now is also the right time to check for any brood diseases or mite problems and treat them appropriately.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have really wanted to keep bees for the past couple of years and I think I may finally be able to do it this spring. Last weekend the Philadelphia Bee Keeps Guild held their first Honey Fest in a few different locations in the city. I attended the events at the Wyck House which were mostly geared towards keeping bees. I took some video that I thought some of you might have interest in.

The first is a demonstration of opening up a hive and some basics on how to work it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3RNS-C7VU0

The second is a lecture by Kim Flottum, author of The Backyard Beekeeper, on urban beekeeping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3triuBRrrFA

The camera work isn't the best since it was my first time using my point and shoot cam, but the audio is fine, and the visuals on the first vid are good when I actually kept things in frame.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Harvested yesterday afternoon. We got seven pretty full frames out of a medium from each of our two hives. I was pretty pleased.

Also did the powdered sugar test for mites and was really surprised not to find but one in one hive and none in the other. I mean, that's cool and all, but with all the doom and gloom I've been exposed to locally to verroa mites I was expecting to be ordering treatments today.

My girls ROCK!

drewhead fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 18, 2010

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Just harvested 3 frames of honey. I noticed there was a lot of pollen packed beneath the honey. Kinda weird. How's everyone else doing? Do you think you're going to harvest more, Leperflesh?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I got a total of 17 good frames of honey from a new hive, so happy.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maximusi posted:

Just harvested 3 frames of honey. I noticed there was a lot of pollen packed beneath the honey. Kinda weird. How's everyone else doing? Do you think you're going to harvest more, Leperflesh?

We're actually still putting our harvest into jars - we ran out (twice!) and now we got a few really really big jars which, annoyingly, are too heavy once filled for our sensitive scale.

We've jarred 37 pounds of honey, plus the huge jar which is probably another 10 pounds, and it looks like we've got another 8+ pounds left in the bin. So our estimate that we'd get 45 pounds looks to have been low by a good 10+ pounds.

This also means we are getting substantially more per frame than we did just draining the frames like we did in the spring. Back then, we drained 8 frames and got 14 pounds; this time, we spun 20 frames in the extractor and got at least 55 pounds. So we went from 1.75 pounds per frame to about 2.75 pounds per frame!

OH! And we put a queen excluder across the wooden slats in the bin, and then put all the cappings on top, so they could drain. It worked beautifully! So we were able to recover pretty much all of the honey from the cappings.

We haven't been out to inspect - we were supposed to do it this weekend but other priorities came up. It's been really hot though, and the bees look super busy, so I bet they're socking away honey still.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 27, 2010

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
All of you are amazing. I wish I was able to keep bees! Maybe someday...

Are any of you selling honey? Possibly on SA Mart?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
They seem to have found the CCD culprit!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/science/07bees.html?src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's a promising development, but I'm gonna withhold the wild celebration until it's confirmed by at least a couple more teams. The media has a habit of grabbing things like this and running with it to a point well past what the researchers themselves would actually support.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

This fungivirus (virungus?) is obviously a diversion created by cell phone towers and big-pesticide-resistant-corn-crops to keep us from The Truth!! :tinfoil:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

lags posted:

This fungivirus (virungus?) is obviously a diversion created by cell phone towers and big-pesticide-resistant-corn-crops to keep us from The Truth!! :tinfoil:

Actually, this may not be too far from the truth:
http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/08/news/honey_bees_ny_times.fortune/index.htm

The researcher who published the study had/has a major grant from Bayer, producer of neonicotinoid pesticides that some have linked to bee die-offs.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ShotgunWillie posted:

The researcher who published the study had/has a major grant from Bayer, producer of neonicotinoid pesticides that some have linked to bee die-offs.

Doesn't look good, but at the same time it could be much worse. It's pretty messed up that bayer does this kind of thing. I had just watched those urban beekeeping youtubes and I was pretty pissed when I saw this - for some reason I've had the notion that everyone who works with bees is pretty much cool.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So we finally finished getting all our honey from the July harvest filtered and weighed and into jars.

It came to seventy pounds. 70. Pounds. From 20 medium frames. Far beyond our guesstimates of like maybe 45-55 pounds of honey. It means we got 3.5 pounds of honey per frame using the extractor.

So that brings this year's total harvest up to 84 pounds.

We inspected the hive last weekend. We have all three supers on there (because my wife wanted to give the messy, honey-coated frames we'd harvested back to the bees to clean up) and there wasn't that much new honey in there; a fair number of frames with maybe a third to a half of the frame having uncapped, half-filled cells. A few random capped cells.

They're still really busy out there but now I'm thinking we ought to have left them with just one super, so they could concentrate on just building up and filling that one instead of spreading across three. But now it's too late... can't really take the frames, they have uncapped honey (so not suitable for harvest).

Fortunately it doesn't get that cold here for a while yet. At some point we may have to pick through and just try and get the best frames together into one super, and then take the other two supers' worth regardless of their state.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Wow, that's incredible. We only harvested 1.5 supers this summer. I think the whole swarming thing really shafted us on honey.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Leperflesh posted:

Fortunately it doesn't get that cold here for a while yet. At some point we may have to pick through and just try and get the best frames together into one super, and then take the other two supers' worth regardless of their state.

This is sort of what I do. I harvest all my capped honey and let them clean out the supers overnight. Then if there are any uncapped frames, I extract everything and use it for mead

Delicious mead.

Baby of The Week
Oct 22, 2004

ShotgunWillie posted:

Dr. Bromenshenk did not actually receive funding directly from Bayer. He received money from Sun Seeds inc. to train bees to focus on onion pollination, and then Sun Seeds was later purchased by Bayer.
http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/missoula/not-so-sweet/Content?oid=1319017

Aside from that, his research on the acoustic detection of bee pests and diseases along with using bees for land mine detection is some pretty neat stuff. He's working on developing an inexpensive handheld "tricorder" of sorts that can identify whether a colony is afflicted with AFB, varroa, nosema or chemical contaminants.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

So winter is rapidly approaching for those of us who lucky enough to have seasons.

Last year I wrapped the hive in insulation batting tucked into giant trash bags. I'm a bit torn on whether I want to do so again this year or go with the "let 'em tough it out" option. There's a fair amount of debate either way and both sides seem to make a good argument.

Anybody care to weigh in from either perspective?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

TouchyMcFeely posted:

So winter is rapidly approaching for those of us who lucky enough to have seasons.

Last year I wrapped the hive in insulation batting tucked into giant trash bags. I'm a bit torn on whether I want to do so again this year or go with the "let 'em tough it out" option. There's a fair amount of debate either way and both sides seem to make a good argument.

Anybody care to weigh in from either perspective?

I live in NYC, so I get real winters, but not deathly cold ones.

How cold do you get?

I leave my hives with plenty of ventilation. I worry more about condensation than cold, so I leave a varroa screened bottom board on the hive, along with a notched inner cover to facilitate a bit of air flow. They seem to do pretty well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright, my wife has been asking me to "ask the goons" about this.

On Oct. 16, we tore down the hive for a full inspection, to see where we were with the bees. So, we removed all three honey supers (all of which have open cells of honey, but no frames are more than maybe 25% full at the most), and then for the first time since we added the first honey super, we removed the queen excluder and checked out the brood chamber.

Definitely something we should do more often but it's a pain in the rear end and disturbs the bees, so we've been avoiding it.

Anyway, there's a big brood chamber (two deeps), lots of good looking bees, but we saw something really weird.

This is the center frame of the upper deep:

Here it is in larger resolution:

Closer up:

Detail of the previous pic:

Another angle:

Detail of the previous pic:

As you can see, there's lots of capped brood cells. However, a number of cells are uncapped, showing not-fully-developed metamorphosing bees! Seems wrong, I believe the bees are opening incomplete chrysalises.

You can see the "purple eyes" of live almost-bees... and you can also see some cells containing what appear to be killed semi-developed bees as well. Hard to see exactly what's going on but it sure looks like the workers are opening some cells and killing the brood.

Any idea why they'd do this?

We definitely saw eggs, and we caught a fully-developed (fuzzy, yellow and brown) bee just emerging from a cell on another frame as well. There was no bad smell to suggest foul brood either.

We had the mite board in for four days, but when we removed it we couldn't find a single mite (and we've seen them before). So, this suggests it's not varroa.

We had one beekeeper over for dinner a couple nights ago, and we showed her the pics. She suggested our bees may have tracheal mites, based on a couple of pics that showed bees holding their wings in the "K" pattern (not folded all the way back). But I don't know if that could be related to this open-not-done-bee-cell thing.

Any ideas? Are we misinterpreting what we're seeing here? Fact is we've not had the brood chamber open since the spring, and at that time we saw nothing like this, but all in all we're still newb beekeepers, so if this is totally normal and/or those aren't killed half-formed bees, that would be a big relief.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 4, 2010

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -