Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Maybe I don't know enough about how everything works, but it sounds like one of those "convert your old VHSs into super high-quality DVDs!!" products. How does it restore data that wasn't captured to begin with? Interpolation only goes so far, and it's not like your camera is hiding parity data in EXIF or something.

I am interested in seeing the results though, so please post some when you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Yeah, go to the website and hover over the license plate image.

http://www.topazlabs.com/infocus/#4

I call bullshit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I used Recuva when I accidentally deleted about 200 photos from my SD card
I've used it for recovering stuff (not photography related) before, and it's quite good.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I downloaded the free trial and dicked around with it.

I used the ruler tool to find the angle of the blur.

was what I got from

Kinda cool I guess, but the result will always look shittacular.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Haggins posted:

It looks like it's time to stop deleting out of focus shots. Topaz Labs just came out with a new product called Infocus, which supposedly fixes out of focus images. Looking at the examples on the site it seems pretty impressive.

http://www.topazlabs.com/infocus/#4

Right now, and until tomorrow, it's on sale for $30, which is $40 off. I went ahead and picked it up since the price was right. I haven't had time to fully test it yet, but what little I messed with seems promising.

What the fuuuucckkk?

How does this black magic work? It can't just be simple sharpening but...

Downloading now, trip report tomorrow.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

dakana posted:

I downloaded the free trial and dicked around with it.

I used the ruler tool to find the angle of the blur.

was what I got from

Kinda cool I guess, but the result will always look shittacular.
I don't know, I look at your example and I'm pretty impressed that it could rescue detail from an image that hosed up. Not only is yours an extreme example, but your problem was motion blur, not just missed focus. This could be a godsend for those closeup shots where you focused on someone's ear instead of their eyes; it'll never make it perfect, but it might make the difference between a usable shot and the reject pile. If you're a wedding photographer selling prints, that's money in the pocket.

That said, I don't believe in miracles; I'm sure they picked the best possible examples to use on their site. I'm gonna download for myself and see what it can do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The above example is really impressive, you cant even read the plate in the original. Some of the examples on the page just make it look like "Topaz unsharp mask" though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks. I also found this on the same site that seems to focus on making realistic images. http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-retouching/hdr-tone-mapping-with-layers-in-photoshop.html

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Trip report: this is a great plugin for fixing images that you want to display at 220x150px. Or, like Dakana, you're a PI taking pictures of politician's license plates as they speed away from a hotel rendezvous with a stripper. I tried it on three images where I missed focus: some just barely, some by a lot. Didn't get anything that looked better than unsharp mask or high pass filter, and they were a hell of a lot noisier.

Again, I wasn't expecting miracles, I just wanted something potentially usable.

Original, 100% crop.

High pass at 9px, overlay layer at 50%:

Unsharp mask at 50, 1.0, 0:

Topaz on the "common" setting:

Now considering that their examples are shrunk to something like 25%, their originals must look pretty hosed up if you saw them at 100%. I honestly can't see how they even got them looking as good as they did shrunk down, but I'll bet they're a noisy mess if you saw them at full size. Maybe you can save a few photos from the reject bin, but you still wouldn't have anything great.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

jackpot posted:

Again, I wasn't expecting miracles, I just wanted something potentially usable.

Original, 100% crop.

Now considering that their examples are shrunk to something like 25%, their originals must look pretty hosed up if you saw them at 100%. I honestly can't see how they even got them looking as good as they did shrunk down, but I'll bet they're a noisy mess if you saw them at full size. Maybe you can save a few photos from the reject bin, but you still wouldn't have anything great.

I spent like 2 minutes on it and got a lot better result with InFocus than you did:

I masked out the background too to reduce the noise in it, and I think if you practice with it more it'll become a lot simpler and more effective.

I think it is a really good deal for $30, but I wouldn't pay the full $70 for it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah, you definitely did better with it than I did, that's pretty good. Like you said though, $70 is drat steep for something I can do 90% as well with unsharp mask.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
You can't create information out of what isn't there, this just looks like some kind of modified Smart Sharpen + contrast.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

brad industry posted:

You can't create information out of what isn't there, this just looks like some kind of modified Smart Sharpen + contrast.

The license plate test was pretty interesting though. If the program understands the path the camera took while the shutter was open (like if someone bumped the tripod), it seems within the realm of possibility that the program could figure out which pixels should go where.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
That is pretty much what it looks like it's doing I think. It arranges them based on the amount of movement and angle according to edge contrast (basically sharpness, you can probably get the same result doing it manually in Smart Sharpen). It looks shittacular because once it does the rearranging it has no information to fill in the gaps.

edit:
I think the reason that ocean one worked is because water/wet things are super contrasty and have really abrupt changes in value usually limited to one channel, so that is way easier for it to work with than something that has smooth tones or transitions.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 3, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its like that pedo guy who got busted because he used the whirlpool/twisty function in photoshop to hide his face in pictures, and someone just ran it in reverse to identify him.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I while ago Microsoft published some information on doing this by using gyroscopes and some other bolt-on stuff. This is the before/after examples obviously, they look pretty good, but then, the source image wasn't that bad:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

mobby_6kl posted:

I while ago Microsoft published some information on doing this by using gyroscopes and some other bolt-on stuff. This is the before/after examples obviously, they look pretty good, but then, the source image wasn't that bad:

Isn't this just image stabilization but in reverse?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Hey guys, I'm writing some software for work and it involves setting camera parameters to take "nice" pictures. Does anyone know of a good background on how matrix and evaluative metering works? As in a little bit of an overview of the algorithms involved?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Isn't this just image stabilization but in reverse?

It used the gyroscopes to embed camera movement in the exif data. With that data they used software to counter act it which is pretty cool. If i remember they knew the software was not great but if the information was recorded that software down the road could do a much better job.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Isn't there a point where fixing failure might be better served in just going outside and taking better pictures?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

Isn't there a point where fixing failure might be better served in just going outside and taking better pictures?

Of course, but the research is still interesting. It could be adapted for use on things more interesting than fixing a lovely snapshot.. restoring old photos, improving the quality of security footage, finding out who really killed JFK, whatever.

I'm not saying they'll be doing Blade Runner style enhancement, but improving the quality of the data that is there is a pretty interesting topic.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

sund posted:

Hey guys, I'm writing some software for work and it involves setting camera parameters to take "nice" pictures. Does anyone know of a good background on how matrix and evaluative metering works? As in a little bit of an overview of the algorithms involved?

Not much is known officially about the algorithms being used. Some info on Nikon's old system can be found here.. beware it's from Ken :
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/matrix.htm

My naive approach for a software implementation would be to segment the image into a grid and use each grid cell as an input node for a neural net, maybe add some center weighting. Then train the net with as many "nice" photos and associated EXIF info as you can find and hope that the actual results will be nice too.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

If anyone is curious on how Infocus works, if you go to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_W_f4Ft7PE

Then fast foward to the 1:39:30 mark, Ray Maxwell explains how it works. It's not sharpening and it's not something you can do in Photoshop.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Denoise seemed to work really well. Going to try it afterwards on a real noisemaker (Olympus E-420 @ ISO1600).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Quick and dirty test. No other edits apart from resizing to 800x600.

Pack of smokes on the floor at ISO1600:

100% crop:

After 1 minute of sliding sliders in Denoise 5:

100% crop:

It does get a bit of that cartoony blur that comes with all noise reduction but given how little effort I put into it and the natural limits of turd polishing I have to say that's pretty good. You don't need to remove every bit of grain to make it usable anyway. Once you got some experience you could probably preserve much more detail while still removing most of the noise.

I didn't use debanding by the way, but can see some banding issues now. That could possible contribute to the loss of detail in the black lines on the floor.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ola posted:

Quick and dirty test. No other edits apart from resizing to 800x600.

Quick and dark test. I can see results but can't help but not care unless you want to expose your poo poo correctly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Quick and dark test. I can see results but can't help but not care unless you want to expose your poo poo correctly.

My exposure wasn't on trial, noise removal was. I tried to get it as noisy as possible.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Ola posted:

My exposure wasn't on trial, noise removal was. I tried to get it as noisy as possible.

High ISO only works a drat on a correctly exposed image, so that kinda needs to be done first IMO.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Royking Dreper, bastard son of Don Roy King and Don Draper. (No really, what's that mean?)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

High ISO only works a drat on a correctly exposed image, so that kinda needs to be done first IMO.

But I wasn't testing high ISO was I? Geez, is there a pretty-threshold for anything posted in this thread? I took a picture to maximize the noise and then tried to see what the app could do. It's not a pretty picture of a pack of cigarettes that's going on my Flickr, it's a picture of noise. Is this hard? I can take a pretty one afterwards if that makes you happy.

pwn posted:

Royking Dreper, bastard son of Don Roy King and Don Draper. (No really, what's that mean?)

Smoking kills! It doesn't kill noise obviously.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I'm thinking of selling my 50mm 2.5 macro and getting some tubes until I can afford the 100mm. I have the 70-200mm f4 non is, the obligatory 17-50 and the 50mm 1.8.

Am I going to miss having the 50mm 2.5? It is pretty sharp for more than just macro, and it was my only lens for the longest time. I have a bit of a soft spot for it, but since getting the 70-200 and 17-50, I rarely use it unless I'm doing macro stuff.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ola posted:

But I wasn't testing high ISO was I? Geez, is there a pretty-threshold for anything posted in this thread? I took a picture to maximize the noise and then tried to see what the app could do. It's not a pretty picture of a pack of cigarettes that's going on my Flickr, it's a picture of noise. Is this hard? I can take a pretty one afterwards if that makes you happy.
Stop defending your poor test.

Testing something like noise removal should be done in a real life example. Why would I care that you can remove noise from a mostly black lovely picture? That tells me absolutely nothing. There is not enough detail and color range to accurately judge if that's doing a good job or not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cyberbob posted:

But an underexposed photo will result in a much noisier image. If you want to test noise reduction in a worst-case scenario then underexposing your photo is pretty valid.

e: Beaten.

e2: I don't know, I think it's a pretty decent test.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Testing something like noise removal should be done in a real life example. Why would I care that you can remove noise from a mostly black lovely picture? That tells me absolutely nothing. There is not enough detail and color range to accurately judge if that's doing a good job or not.

While I agree that it's a pretty bad test overall, I do think that testing noise removal in a (slightly) underexposed image can indeed be a real world test. I know that I have found myself in situations where I have had no choice other than to underexpose slightly, otherwise there would be subject blur in the shot.

e: bad test is a little harsh-- I think it might be more fair to say that it's not a super useful test. Noise in a web size 800x600 is negligible most of the time, there is no comparison against a properly exposed 1600ISO shot/overexposed 1600ISO shot pulled down, no sharpening done to the image (which would exacerbate the noise, but in a real shot, generous sharpening is usually done before posting/printing), etc.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 5, 2010

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Shmoogy posted:

e: bad test is a little harsh--

I don't think poor test is really that inaccurate of a statement though; I did not say bad test - though I guess those words are almost interchangeable. And while the initial image might be underexposed in real life the noise would likely occur from a person trying to bring it to the correct exposure. I guess moral of the story is... no one would ever use that image as is so it's not entirely useful. I appreciate the fact that someone is willing to do some real world testing but if they're going to do it wrong it's going to waste everyone's time and possibly give less knowledgeable people misconceptions.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

I don't think poor test is really that inaccurate of a statement though; I did not say bad test - though I guess those words are almost interchangeable.

Apologies, I was the one who said 'bad test' and I felt it was a bit harsh.

quote:

And while the initial image might be underexposed in real life the noise would likely occur from a person trying to bring it to the correct exposure.
Agreed, that's why I felt that you were correct in stating that it was a poor test, and why my edit said that I felt it was not a very useful test.

quote:

I guess moral of the story is... no one would ever use that image as is so it's not entirely useful. I appreciate the fact that someone is willing to do some real world testing but if they're going to do it wrong it's going to waste everyone's time and possibly give less knowledgeable people misconceptions.
We're in agreement here as well, I appreciate the effort, but a test that is not done properly only creates further issues for those actually rely on tests like those to learn from.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Shmoogy posted:

Agreed, that's why I felt that you were correct in stating that it was a poor test, and why my edit said that I felt it was not a very useful test.

Oh sorry, it seems I just came in and got all defensive and confused myself ;D

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Testing something like noise removal should be done in a real life example.

This is a pretty weird attitude. I wasn't doing you all a service, there was a discussion on the Topaz software and I got interested in the denoise thing. If you don't like my underexposed picture of a cigarette pack I dropped on the floor beneath my computer desk (EV -1.7 bitches) you are welcome to try it yourself, there's a free trial on that as well. Noise vs shake is a choice you make when you take pictures in poor lighting, perhaps one is a better tradeoff than the other when in such a situation. Maybe you got some idea of the software's ability to remove noise while retaining detail compared to other things you've tried, but I'm not worried about making it look pretty for you.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Ola posted:

This is a pretty weird attitude. I wasn't doing you all a service, there was a discussion on the Topaz software and I got interested in the denoise thing. If you don't like my underexposed picture of a cigarette pack I dropped on the floor beneath my computer desk (EV -1.7 bitches) you are welcome to try it yourself, there's a free trial on that as well. Noise vs shake is a choice you make when you take pictures in poor lighting, perhaps one is a better tradeoff than the other when in such a situation. Maybe you got some idea of the software's ability to remove noise while retaining detail compared to other things you've tried, but I'm not worried about making it look pretty for you.

Or you could have boosted the exposure, assuming it was a raw file, to a proper visible level, which is what a good low light/high noise image test would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
How can I tell to what extent a photographer has used post-production to achieve the look of their photos? How do I know if a really good looking photo has only slightly been altered (if at all), when it was the photographer's skill with his or her camera settings that achieved the majority of the quality?

As an example, look at jackpot's recent excellent thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368162
To what extent has post production been used for most of the photos?

I'm still relatively new to photography (compared to the skill levels of most people here), and I'm still a far cry from achieving photos of this standard. I have the equipment for it, but not the skill. But like I say, I'm finding it difficult to learn from others when I'm not sure how much of what I'm looking at is artificial.