Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

torgeaux posted:

Post the solution here too, please
I was curious, so I did a quick look myself.

Alereon posted:

Try running CHKDSK on the drive. Go to start, run, enter "cmd" and press enter, enter the command "CHKDSK E: /F /V" (replace E: with the drive letter of the external drive). This will check and fix the filesystem on the drive, but can't fix the problem if the drive is actually dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
^ :argh: Mine's got extra special director's cut never-before-seen posting though!

Roger! The thread's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372211

Alereon posted:

Try running CHKDSK on the drive. Go to start, run, enter "cmd" and press enter, enter the command "CHKDSK E: /F /V" (replace E: with the drive letter of the external drive). This will check and fix the filesystem on the drive, but can't fix the problem if the drive is actually dying.

That produced a bunch of lines informing me about recovered orphans or something, and then I could access the directory just fine again.

I was then advised to run Crystal Disk Info to read the health data of the drive, which comes up as "Caution," so it may just be a lovely drive out of the box. It was a freebie, maybe for a reason.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Is there a non-creepy way to tell someone you'd like to take photos of them? Like half the girls I know have complained about some older dude asking them if he could photograph them sometime, so I'm a bit weary of coming off as a creeper. It helps that I'm young and attractive, the person I want to ask is involved in modeling already, and I've already worked with her for an event, but what's the proper way to approach someone about personal portfolio work?

Basically I just don't want to come off as the type of guy who asks women to do "tasteful nudes" in his basement. Is it as simple as saying "hey, would you be interested in doing a shoot sometime?" or is there special etiquette?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Do you actually have a reason, like for a project or something?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

No reason other than I liked taking pictures of her yesterday and I think it'd be fun to photograph her outside of an event setting. I took about ten shots of her with different poses and expressions and liked almost all of them, whereas I had to throw out half the shots of most of the other models. A couple others photographed well, but she was one of the only people I talked to so it seemed less weird. It's probably still too weird.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is literally no way to ask a girl who you are not close friends with if you can photograph her outside of an event where she actually wants to be photographed and not come off as creepy.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

There is literally no way to ask a girl who you are not close friends with if you can photograph her outside of an event where she actually wants to be photographed and not come off as creepy.

Not really, if you've got a decent rapport or she complements your photography it's not a big deal to ask. I don't enjoy shooting portraits so I don't pursue it, but I can think of plenty of female acquaintances who wouldn't mind if I asked them about it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
If she's already into modeling, I don't see why it would be a big deal. Just say you're trying to build your portfolio and was wondering if she'd like to work with you. You might be able to help her build her own portfolio, too. If she's pretty experienced she might not do anything for trade, but if she's professional she's not going to get offended by you asking.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I don't know if it's taboo around here, but I sure am sick of lugging around a camera bag just so I can put away my film SLR so I sort of want a lomography camera. Like a Diana mini or something, just to toss in the handbag. Is there a lomo thread (I couldn't find it) or does anyone have advice on cameras etc.?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Get an Olympus XA or Olympus Stylus Epic. About as small as it gets and much more control and image quality. They're also about the same price as the Lomo stuff.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

This isn't necessarily true but it's so easy to accidentally come of as creepy because as soon as you try to think "okay how do I make this not sound creepy" it ends up becoming creepy. A self fulfilling prophecy.

Fortunately I'm getting to the point where friends of friends will approach me about taking their photograph. Which is a great compliment in one way, but in another way you realize the girl asking you for sexy photos is doing it because you're a good photographer not because she's coming onto you.

:(

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 12, 2010

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
In other news: Holy poo poo, why did no one tell me how much better it is to shoot in RAW until now. I've been shooting and editing jpg for ages. No one ever stressed how much easier it is to recover images in post when shooting RAW.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Tshirt Ninja posted:

In other news: Holy poo poo, why did no one tell me how much better it is to shoot in RAW until now. I've been shooting and editing jpg for ages. No one ever stressed how much easier it is to recover images in post when shooting RAW.

A friend told me that like the first week I got my camera. I could almost blow him for it now.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

HPL posted:

Get an Olympus XA

Correct answer

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A couple of hours ago, I said to hell with it and sent her a facebook message.

I said:

"I really liked how your shots from the <event> came out, and I'd love to work with you again if you're interested. Just let me know!

-My name"

She said:

"Heck yes! I would love to shoot with you! Ya, the photos were awesome! Thank you so much for posting them so quickly. What kind of shoot were you thinking?
Looking forward to hearing from you. Have a great weekend!

-Her name"

So, for the record, it totally works.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Why shooting RAW is so awesome:

So your flash suffered from dying batteries and the image comes out like this:

Shot JPEG? Well I hope you got some good shots after changing the battery and the kid decided to become bratty.

RAW? Push it, apply some noise reduction and:

Fun fact: That was one of the photos they ended up buying. :v:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

She looks terrified.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
So today I ordered a dozen pictures printed, some in luster finish, some in metallic, all at 8 x 12. They couldn't mount them on foam-cor for me in time for christmas (because I have a Master's degree in procrastination), so I'm just getting them printed, and my plan is to find frames for them.

[Rant mode] Why are picture frames in such dumb sizes? 135 film produces images that are 24x36 mm, a ratio of 2:3 that most digital sensors seem to have maintained. 4 x 6 inch prints are a standard size, but other standard sizes with plenty of choice available for frames wander away from this ratio - 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 would require way too much cropping. It's nearly goddam impossible to find 8 x 12 frames. [\Rant mode].

Well, I needed a mini-vent there. Sorry. My new plan is to buy a bunch of 11 x 14 frames without glass (because putting a metallic print behind glass kind of defeats the purpose) and glue my prints to black heavy card paper and fit them in the frames. Has anyone else solved this problem in ways that don't involve re-cropping the pictures?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Spend some money on a beveled mat cutter (~$20-$30), a good set of knives (~$5-$25), a straight edge, and some archival glue/tape. Don't buy a cutting surface; the gently caress up blade tips quick and tend to make blades wander later in their life. Just use a scrap piece of matboard. Cutting your own mats gives you the freedom to make mats in any size/shape for a very low price. A 30" x 40" matboard will run you between $6 to $10 and a mat for each image generally takes around 10-15 mins to cut.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Frame sizes are made to match paper sizes which makes more sense. Most images need a mat anyways, having the image go all the way to the frame doesn't usually work best.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a mat cutter and I don't really use it (mostly because it is not big enough) but unless you are going to be doing a lot of matting I am not sure it is worth it (like buying a photo printer). I found a local art supply store that cuts custom mats for like 2 dollars on top of the cost of the mat. For this nominal cost I don't have to worry about screwing up and they probably do a much better job than I would. I also don't have to worry about having an area setup to cut mats etc. Just something to consider.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Dread Head posted:

I have a mat cutter and I don't really use it (mostly because it is not big enough) but unless you are going to be doing a lot of matting I am not sure it is worth it (like buying a photo printer). I found a local art supply store that cuts custom mats for like 2 dollars on top of the cost of the mat. For this nominal cost I don't have to worry about screwing up and they probably do a much better job than I would. I also don't have to worry about having an area setup to cut mats etc. Just something to consider.
I'm guessing you bought the whole kit then. The kits limit you on the size you can cut and take up a bunch of room, which is why I suggested just buying just the bevel mat cutter, a straight edge, and just cut on some sacrificial mat board. That way they don't take up any room and you aren't limited on size. I've cut mats up to 36" wide this way.

Also free/cheap mat cutting places inflate their prices. Checking two online sites I came up with following prices;
Pictureframes.com - $4.15 / sqft for black
MatShop.com - $14.23 for a 20x24" ($3.33 / sqft)

I can get a 32x40" black matboard at blick for $6.21, which comes out to less than $1 per sqft.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Thankfully a lot of places have started printing at 2x3 ratios in recent years. Given this the lack of frames matted to match this seems very odd to me. You can certainly buy a larger frame and get a mat, but I completely agree with ExecuDork. I keep waiting for someone to start selling them and clean up on all the DSLR photographers, but if it isn't happening by now we may be waiting a while.

Besides things like canvas printing, what are the other options for mounting photos for hanging?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

TheLastManStanding posted:

I'm guessing you bought the whole kit then. The kits limit you on the size you can cut and take up a bunch of room, which is why I suggested just buying just the bevel mat cutter, a straight edge, and just cut on some sacrificial mat board. That way they don't take up any room and you aren't limited on size. I've cut mats up to 36" wide this way.

Also free/cheap mat cutting places inflate their prices. Checking two online sites I came up with following prices;
Pictureframes.com - $4.15 / sqft for black
MatShop.com - $14.23 for a 20x24" ($3.33 / sqft)

I can get a 32x40" black matboard at blick for $6.21, which comes out to less than $1 per sqft.

That is actually the exact cutter I have, it came as part of a kit I was given though. I had problems trying to use a larger straight edge and keeping the straight edge in one place. I should probably give it another go but for the time being I dont really have the need.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thankfully a lot of places have started printing at 2x3 ratios in recent years. Given this the lack of frames matted to match this seems very odd to me. You can certainly buy a larger frame and get a mat, but I completely agree with ExecuDork. I keep waiting for someone to start selling them and clean up on all the DSLR photographers, but if it isn't happening by now we may be waiting a while.

Besides things like canvas printing, what are the other options for mounting photos for hanging?
If someone agrees with me, is it no longer a rant, and instead a "legitimate" complaint? There's a custom framing shop across the street that should be open tomorrow if I can get to them at a decent time. I'll see what they have as options - and maybe they cut mats.

My local camera shop is Don's Photo; they've got my pictures right now and say they'll have them back to me as 8 x 12 prints next Monday (not tomorrow, a week later). Getting them mounted on foam core would have approximately doubled the required time. They offer:
  • "Fome-Cor" (misspelling? brand name?) in either black or white
  • Gatorfoam in black
  • 3 different laminates
  • "Plaquemount" on 3/8" MDF with a beveled and painted edge
  • "Floatmount" on 1/8" Masonite and a recessed back to hold them away from the wall
  • Canvasmount, either "Gallery style" or "Museum style" - the difference is the edges.
Prices for 8 x 12 run between about $9 for Fome-Cor up to about $72 for Museum style canvasmount. They can do any size at a per-square-foot price for anything except Canvasmounts, those go up to 30x40 (which, you will note, is NOT 2:3).

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I have the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II. I love the bokeh and all but let's say I want to make sure everyone is in focus and somewhat sharp -- can I do it with this lens? I've been toying with the settings for quite a bit and I can't seem to pull it off. One way or the other someone's going to be blurred.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Disharmony posted:

I have the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II. I love the bokeh and all but let's say I want to make sure everyone is in focus and somewhat sharp -- can I do it with this lens? I've been toying with the settings for quite a bit and I can't seem to pull it off. One way or the other someone's going to be blurred.

Smaller aperture: f8 should get most in focus

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah stop down and focus in between what you want sharp. It's hard enough getting one dude sharp at 1.8

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
For general info on sharpness you might also want to look at the charts here :
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/150/cat/10

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I'm trying out one of those google netbooks and I'm figuring out what the best web app would be to edit facebook jpgs. I don't believe there are any raw editor web apps and I would probably never want to use one. Instead of trying to do everything with cloud alternatives I'll just do whatever is realistic. Picnik seems to offer the finest controls.

chef
Nov 18, 2001
Sorry if this has been asked 13 times, but what do you guys do, if anything, for online backup? I'm just a hobbyist, but I have lots of photos I don't want to lose. I've got an external backup drive, but wanted to have something online... should I look into flickr pro, carbonite, amazon etc. or just get a cheap unlimited hosting account?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I use Carbonite, and it's been good to me. I recently just added a new hard drive, I copied everything over and it essentially just picked up where it left of after I reinstalled everything. I was freaking out about it at first because I thought I would have to re up everything.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

chef posted:

Sorry if this has been asked 13 times, but what do you guys do, if anything, for online backup? I'm just a hobbyist, but I have lots of photos I don't want to lose. I've got an external backup drive, but wanted to have something online... should I look into flickr pro, carbonite, amazon etc. or just get a cheap unlimited hosting account?
I wouldn't trust someone advertising cheap unlimited hosting with data I wouldn't want to lose.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But if it's a cheap backup for your backup, it's probably fine.

Very unlikely that you'll lose both backups at the same time.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

evil_bunnY posted:

I wouldn't trust someone advertising cheap unlimited hosting with data I wouldn't want to lose.

I have unlimited hosting and I did this for a while, but really it was kind of a pain to do it every time. Backing up to a second drive and then sending it to the FTP sucked. Not to mention you either:

Throttled it way down and hope that you didn't have to resume because finding the files it left off was a bitch.

or

Sucked up all of your connection for a while (a long while depending on how many shots you took since last backing up).

I use Carbonite now, and honestly the $50 a year for a real backup service is worth it just for the convenience of not having to deal with all that poo poo to me. There's other benefits too of course. I still have unlimited hosting for my web site, but I don't use it for backing up anymore.

Also you are right that this comes up occasionally - check out the "Camera Gear" thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163404&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=174#post385191586 - that whole page and the one I linked to in that post both have good info.

subx fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 15, 2010

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I use Carbonite, and it's been good to me. I recently just added a new hard drive, I copied everything over and it essentially just picked up where it left of after I reinstalled everything. I was freaking out about it at first because I thought I would have to re up everything.

So I just installed the Carbonite free trial with the intention of buying if everything went smoothly, but I'm finding I can't use Carbonite on either of my external drives, which makes it pretty worthless for me, or at least a major pain in the rear end to back everything up. Am I missing something?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

BobTheCow posted:

So I just installed the Carbonite free trial with the intention of buying if everything went smoothly, but I'm finding I can't use Carbonite on either of my external drives, which makes it pretty worthless for me, or at least a major pain in the rear end to back everything up. Am I missing something?

A lot of the unlimited backups don't let you do network drives or external drives. I think some people mentioned a couple that could however. Read the stuff posted where I linked.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Thats the one thing that sucks about Carbonite, it will only back up internal drives. The services that allow for networked and external drives is too expensive for me. You might check out something like Amazon S3.

I've been happy with one copy on an internal 2TB drive on my desktop, one copy on a networked 1TB drive, and a cloud backup in Carbonite. I haven't had to recover anything yet, but I know it's only a matter of time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can't you just cheat with hard links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I don't know if it's taboo around here, but I sure am sick of lugging around a camera bag just so I can put away my film SLR so I sort of want a lomography camera. Like a Diana mini or something, just to toss in the handbag. Is there a lomo thread (I couldn't find it) or does anyone have advice on cameras etc.

I'm looking into giving out Yashica EZ F521 cameras as stocking stuffers. Might work for you.