Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
So I was just given a nook wifi for christmas and already have it almost filled with my wonderfully crafted library. But I have one question: Is there anyway to have sideloaded books do cover flow like in the nookbook store? It's the main reason I spent a week getting/making the right covers for all of my books and I'll be heartbroken if I can't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

GruntyThrst posted:

What case do you use?

I use the official lighted case. It's nice and sturdy, and the booklight in it is very useful for bedtime reading.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I just got a Nook Color for christmas. I bought Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson while on my computer and downloaded the epub file. But when I put it on my Nook, it doesn't show the cover it just has the little blue rectangle with "Midnight Tides" in it. Is there a way to get it to show the cover?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

madprocess posted:

I use the official lighted case. It's nice and sturdy, and the booklight in it is very useful for bedtime reading.
The official lighted case is great. Very sturdy, and the light is great. My only complaint is that the Kindle + case is a bit heavy compared to the Kindle alone, but it's easy enough to pop the device out of the case when needed.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Has anyone in the UK noticed that suddenly the Sony PRS-650 seems to have disappeared from online stores? WHSmiths and John Lewis had them on sale last night, and suddenly today they've taken down the pages completely, as if they never sold them. I think it's the same for a few other stores. Is there an obvious reason for this, or is there a nationwide conspiracy to pretend the device never existed?

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just opened my Kindle Wifi and I couldn't be happier. Still shocked as to how nice the E-ink looks. Used my Christmas gift card and ordered the lighted screen.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.
I scored an Oberon Design case today for my original nook. The world tree in dark green, to be precise.

I'm really enjoying it already, and would highly recommended it to anybody in need of a nice kindle/nook/ipad/chinatablet case.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Got a Nook Color today, debating whether to keep it or not. I wanted an e-reader mainly for radiology textbooks, which obviously rely on fairly large high res images, and tend to be in the 800+ page variety. Basically debating the NC vs like an Archos 101, as I'm not dropping 500+ for an iPad. Is 7" legitimately enough for textbook reading in anyone else's experience?

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I got my Kindle 3 today and have already read quite a bit on it; I actually feel a little guilty because I have a regular book I've been reading, but I want to play with my new toy, darn it. :3:

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The eInk technology is pretty amazing. I'd never really even played with one before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
When can we start expecting (leaked) information on the next generation Kindle/Nook/Sony/etc?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I got my dad a Kindle 3 for xmas, and while I was showing him some cool books on Amazon to buy with a gift card, I noticed you can now gift an ebook to someone. I hopped on my account and sent him a book. I never noticed that option before (I probably missed it, but I'm glad I found it today!).

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

In Calibre, if you convert a book into another format, and THEN change the metadata on the book, does it update that metadata in both formats?

Also, Calibre has a "Number in the series" metadata, so it has "Book 1.00" for the first book, "Book 2.00" for the second book, etc.

But the Kindle seems to ignore this? Arranging by Author doesn't get the series in the right order. I suppose if worst comes to worst I could rename the titles to have numbers at the beginning, as I do with MP3s, but I'd prefer not to have to do that if anyone has a better solution.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 26, 2010

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kerafyrm posted:

I got my Kindle 3 today and have already read quite a bit on it; I actually feel a little guilty because I have a regular book I've been reading, but I want to play with my new toy, darn it. :3:

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The eInk technology is pretty amazing. I'd never really even played with one before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Just re-buy the regular book as an ebook you can read on your kindle! That's what I did when I got mine. :)

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010
'DON"T WORRY BRO, I'LL BE YOUR CREEPY INTERNET DETECTIVE WHITE KNIGHT WHEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!! CALL 1800 WHITE DICK AND I'LL TRACK DOWN OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE MEAN TO YOU TODAY!!!!
How do I get a Kindle out of the case?!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Factory Ten posted:

How do I get a Kindle out of the case?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5taUBwo1c

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Le Sean posted:

When can we start expecting (leaked) information on the next generation Kindle/Nook/Sony/etc?

I don't think there's ever been much in the way of leaked info for any of the eReaders before they are officially announced. And the Kindle 3 is still pretty much brand new anyway.

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010
'DON"T WORRY BRO, I'LL BE YOUR CREEPY INTERNET DETECTIVE WHITE KNIGHT WHEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!! CALL 1800 WHITE DICK AND I'LL TRACK DOWN OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE MEAN TO YOU TODAY!!!!

I meant the leather cover, not how to get it out of the box.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Im just going to repost this question from a page or two ago that got lost in the shuffle a bit.

Our brand new Nook Color is not getting a good wireless signal. It wont keep a signal if I walk 20 feet from the router in the next room. In that same room we have a laptop and iphones that constantly get perfect reception. I installed the new software and it didnt help at all. Should I take it back and see if it is faulty? or should I assume this is an issue between the Nook color and my router?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Centipeed posted:

In Calibre, if you convert a book into another format, and THEN change the metadata on the book, does it update that metadata in both formats?

Also, Calibre has a "Number in the series" metadata, so it has "Book 1.00" for the first book, "Book 2.00" for the second book, etc.

But the Kindle seems to ignore this? Arranging by Author doesn't get the series in the right order. I suppose if worst comes to worst I could rename the titles to have numbers at the beginning, as I do with MP3s, but I'd prefer not to have to do that if anyone has a better solution.

You are going to have to rename the books.

That's pretty much the single biggest reason I bought a sony reader. The software blows, but it's got the ability to set collections up in any order you want without having to rename anything.

Some people use the calibre "Create a catalog" option to show the reading order, and then convert that list to something that can be read, but as far as I know the only option to get the series in the order you want to read is to rename it.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

PhillyLucky posted:

Im just going to repost this question from a page or two ago that got lost in the shuffle a bit.

Our brand new Nook Color is not getting a good wireless signal. It wont keep a signal if I walk 20 feet from the router in the next room. In that same room we have a laptop and iphones that constantly get perfect reception. I installed the new software and it didnt help at all. Should I take it back and see if it is faulty? or should I assume this is an issue between the Nook color and my router?
Sounds like you got a faulty device. You might want to try the nook color on another network just to make sure though. Just take it back to the store and exchange it if need be.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GruntyThrst posted:

People who have owned a kindle for a while: is it worth it getting a screen protector? I've applied one but with such a large screen it is nigh impossible to remove all the bubbles and they are sort of distracting. If the screen is fairly durable and scratch resistant I might just remove it.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/amazon-kindle-3-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

Zagg Invisishields have been good on every device I've owned. Most malls have a booth, I'd let the guy working install it as they are usually pretty drat good at it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Factory Ten posted:

I meant the leather cover, not how to get it out of the box.

At least with the Kindle 2, I think the top latch on the leather case slides down and then the Kindle sort of pivots on the bottom latch and you can unhook it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

At least with the Kindle 2, I think the top latch on the leather case slides down and then the Kindle sort of pivots on the bottom latch and you can unhook it.

Yeah, you just do the exact opposite of putting it INTO the case.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

PhillyLucky posted:

All I can tell you is that it's not a problem I've had. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

CygnusTM posted:

Try a power cycle. I've found that fixes a lot of things. If that doesn't work, you can download the update from B&N and do a manual update.

Edit: Just thought of something else. The "Check for new content" button is on the My Documents screen. You need the "Check for new B&N content" button on the My B&N Library screen.

Tried both things, both today and yesterday, and it still hasn't worked. I know I can download it from the website and sideload the update, but I hadn't because I was a little worried about the fact that it wasn't updating on its own. I guess I'm just going to do it that way because it's been like 32 hours and nothing else has gotten it to update.

griliard
May 12, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

So I was just given a nook wifi for christmas and already have it almost filled with my wonderfully crafted library. But I have one question: Is there anyway to have sideloaded books do cover flow like in the nookbook store? It's the main reason I spent a week getting/making the right covers for all of my books and I'll be heartbroken if I can't do that.

I have a rooted original nook and the nook-devs version of the library does that. Not sure if it works on the nook color yet.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
yessss thank you so much. Now to go find out if I can root my nook.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/amazon-kindle-3-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

Zagg Invisishields have been good on every device I've owned. Most malls have a booth, I'd let the guy working install it as they are usually pretty drat good at it.

Zagg shields are good, but if you ever need to take it off it leaves all this phlegm poo poo on the screen. Personally any cover that has a flap so it covers the front when you aren't using it is more than adequate.

Cozmosis posted:

Got a Nook Color today, debating whether to keep it or not. I wanted an e-reader mainly for radiology textbooks, which obviously rely on fairly large high res images, and tend to be in the 800+ page variety. Basically debating the NC vs like an Archos 101, as I'm not dropping 500+ for an iPad. Is 7" legitimately enough for textbook reading in anyone else's experience?

The Archos has ok reviews, but from what I read the Nook seems to have way more stable hardware. Do you have a big textbook to load up and try it out? If it works keep the Nook.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 26, 2010

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, that did it. Thanks. :)

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Alas, my leather case for my Kindle 3 was one that caused the restarting issues - it rebooted several times yesterday and I took it out of the case and it hasn't rebooted again since then. I ordered a new (different) case for it and am returning the old one, such a bizarre problem.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Contact Amazon support, they are exchanging/refunding these cases as it is now an acknowledged issue.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Turnquiet posted:

Contact Amazon support, they are exchanging/refunding these cases as it is now an acknowledged issue.

The official leather case, you mean? What problem is it causing, exacty?

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

The non-lighted official leather case is, in some cases, causing the Kindle 3 to randomly reboot itself, and/or freeze up. It's suspected that it has to do with the hinges causing it to short itself out - the hinges are used to generate power for the lighted version. It's a weird problem, but it was definitely the cause for mine rebooting. It was rebooting every hour or so with the case on; with the case off it's been 14 hours now with no reboot, so.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I got a Nook B+W for Christmas. Holy poo poo this thing is awesome. I love it so much. My Fiance keeps telling me she wishes she had gotten me the Nook Color, but I don't care I'm addicted to my little ereader. My only complaint is the serial number starts with 1003 so I can't softroot it :(

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I got the Kindle 3 for Christmas from my boyfriend. I really love it so far, but it seems a bit slow to me. Also, the web browser sometimes freezes the entire Kindle. Is this normal? Also, I hope they will have it so you can select a folder of songs to listen to instead of having to go through every song.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Does anyone else's non-collected books move around the list after opening/closing when sorted by Collections?

I used Calibre to upload and Kindelabra to organize my hoard of non-amazon books if they could affect it.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Jigoku San posted:

Does anyone else's non-collected books move around the list after opening/closing when sorted by Collections?

I used Calibre to upload and Kindelabra to organize my hoard of non-amazon books if they could affect it.

Collections and normal sort are both sorted by the last time you read a book. This is so you don't have to hunt down the last book you read, it's just there on the front screen.

It's how Kindle has always worked.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Except they are moved to the last page.

Ok, it seems to fixed itself after opening all the books once. Weird, I might have messed it up with calibre or something.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 27, 2010

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Carebear posted:

I got the Kindle 3 for Christmas from my boyfriend. I really love it so far, but it seems a bit slow to me. Also, the web browser sometimes freezes the entire Kindle. Is this normal? Also, I hope they will have it so you can select a folder of songs to listen to instead of having to go through every song.

This is what all e-ink readers are like. They're slightly slow, but if you're only using it for reading it'll be faster than turning the pages on a real book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

can any of you rooted nook color users run a benchmark on the thing?

I'm wanting to rectify some x-mas purchasing mistakes tomorrow if possible, and the thing looks pretty neat if I can root it, make it a comic book viewer and play a few games here and there on it.

Then again, if it's basically slow and lovely on games maybe it's worth splurging on an ipad. I want books #1, comics #2, games #3. And I can live without most apps since I'll just run them on my phone. Hell, maybe games aren't even important but 8hrs worth of games on a screen that doesn't cramp my hands would be okay..