Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I don't really like dry clutch noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But dry clutches used by leading motorcycle manufacturers! They're used by Ducati and...uh, Harley. :downsgun:

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
If I could afford a 1098 then the first thing I'd do is swap an 848 wet clutch into it. Partially to stop the annoying noise at every traffic light, but mainly just to irritate the Ducati purists.

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh
i grew up hearing my dad's 916, so the dry clutch is kind of endearing to me, but i can understand the dislike. But, you can use an open clutch cover showing off all the spinning internals with a dry, and that looks great (except when it is one of those blinged out, gold plates).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I too much prefer the deafening silence of a wet clutch.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Or you could go with the best of both worlds and buy a old Honda CB and get both a wet clutch and clutch rattle!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
No garage? No problem! (Not my bikes or apartment.)

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 13, 2012

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Im really digging that front stand.

Also at first I thought maybe only a dude was living in that place. Big TV, motorcycle and nothing else. But then I noticed the plants. So somehow a lady is involved in that living situation and Im finding that to be pretty lol.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I assembled the kikker in my living room, but it was a big rear end ground-level living room, so it wasn't too bad. I had a room mate, but it was a dude and he was cool with it(even if he called the bike a scooter <:mad:>)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Slim Pickens posted:

I assembled the kikker in my living room, but it was a big rear end ground-level living room, so it wasn't too bad. I had a room mate, but it was a dude and he was cool with it(even if he called the bike a scooter <:mad:>)

I really want to build one of these someday just because.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A kikker is basically the only custom cruiser type bike I could get down with. They're just the antithesis of the big-cube customs out there. Its like the custom bike world has been distilled to its base, and you get a kikker.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Wow, the 200cc one is 70 lbs lighter than my CBR150. I think I'm going to buy one. What's the top speed on that thing? About 85?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Rydas whatup.

First one has cusswords in the song lyrics so turn it down if you're at work or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsuGiz1Ii-E

This one is just... yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6y7qS6-Fsk

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Silver posted:

Rydas whatup.

First one has cusswords in the song lyrics so turn it down if you're at work or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsuGiz1Ii-E

This one is just... yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6y7qS6-Fsk

This is the dumbest poo poo.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Haven't seen this one before

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Two things, first, a bit of a laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQISl4Uj3tA

Then something awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM2XFeP8Urg

Backstory posted:

Spotted the link to this short film on a Dutch blog. It's beautifully shot/directed and captures GP rider Mike Duff's recovery from a horrific hip and pelvis injury suffered at the Japanese GP which cost him a six month stay in hospital. Watching him push-start makes you wince just imagining the pain he must have been in.

That in itself is an amazing story of bravery and determination which has been an integral feature of Duff's life story - particularly in later life. In 1967 he stopped professional racing, separated from his wife, and moved to California to become associate editor of Cycle World. He still did some racing, and in 1969 won the Eastern Canadian Championship. From 1970-8 he ran a Yamaha dealership. He also remarried and had another son. From 1978-84 he worked doing specialized machine-shop work in the Greater Toronto area.

In 1984 Michael became Michelle and moved to down-town Toronto to start living as a woman. He had once said that it always felt like he was 'wearing his shoes on the wrong feet.' Michelle completed 'transition' in 1987. She published her autobiography 'Make Haste Slowly' in 1999, and in 2000 moved to an isolated cottage in central Ontario. She is also a photographer and writer of children’s fiction. In 2009 she published two young-adult titles about animals.

I haven't read her autobiography yet but my next stop is Amazon... hardly what you'd call an easy or normal life, aye?

Credit to: http://www.visordown.com/rose-tinted-spectacle/michael-alan-duff-michelle-ann-duff/16543.html#ixzz19WaKr0FT

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Haven't seen this one before

WTF?! That better be a gigantic inland lake, because otherwise he just deluged his poor machine with salt.

Who does that? It's like a video of someone proudly kicking their too-cute-for-words labradoodle.

:(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

No garage? No problem! (Not my bikes or apartment.)

drat I need to post pics of our house. Right now we have a Ducati track bike in one bedroom. In the living room we have a SXV450, two YSR50's (both with 125 engines), a CB70, two CRF50's, a R6 track bike, no-mar tire changer and a driving simulator setup for GT5 plus a bunch of misc motorcycle parts and fairings. Makes me smile everyday when I wake up and go downstairs.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nomex posted:

Wow, the 200cc one is 70 lbs lighter than my CBR150. I think I'm going to buy one. What's the top speed on that thing? About 85?

More like 65, downhill. If you change the gearing it'll get around 75, but it'll suck getting going on the hills. A lot of the stock components are pretty much poo poo as well. The stock battery has no power and can hardly crank over the starter, the headlight uses some unique chinese bulbs so you either mail order them or convert it to a 5009 lamp, a garbage spark plug, the forks are filled inconsistently with fish oil, and the plate holder you can order with it doesn't even fit a regular size plate correctly. Quality control and shipping is kind of poo poo as well, because mine arrived with a punctured inner tube, no circlip holding the sprocket in place, a broken spark plug cap, a leaky fork and a dime-sized dent in the valve cover, which wasn't interfering with the engine operation at all and barely noticeable, so I said "gently caress it" instead of dealing with the factory warranty bullshit.
The leaky fork I didn't mess with until a year later when it started getting worse, and it took nearly 3 months to get that resolved. The only thing redeeming is that the dealers around here are all pretty good guys and sent me some fork seals they bought with their own money because the factory took so god drat long. It's also pretty cold blooded and a bitch to get warmed up. The gearbox and brakes kinda suck too, but otherwise, it's great! :suicide:
On the plus side, it's a cool looking bike and gets really good mileage. People ask you what it is every time you take it for a ride, or just wanna tell you "cool bike!" Dudes on the Hardknock forums have a couple threads where they've entered their $2000 kit bikes into bike competitions and beaten OCC abortions costing 10 times as much, which I haven't had a chance to try. They get around 70-80 mpg I think, and they're fun to ride, although the vibration at constant speed is gonna make your hands and rear end numb in a manner of minutes.

tldr - the vintage harley experience at 1/10th the price!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

NitroSpazzz posted:

two YSR50's (both with 125 engines)

Ohhh my. Want to ride one of those so bad. You run them at local go cart tracks or out on big tracks? PIX WTF.

Content... Laguna Seca, where after Jorge wins and they are at the podium celebration the DJ or whoever starts playing the Italian national anthem. Love the reactions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Clank posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo.

I never got stretched bikes for the street but sliding around like that looks like a shitload of fun.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Gave my helmet to a friend's fiancée with the instructions:
"Be creative but I want a dinosaur stepping on a person, be epic."

The results!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All hail dinosword

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

I just want the cager behind me to have a good laugh before they run me over.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Silver posted:

Ohhh my. Want to ride one of those so bad. You run them at local go cart tracks or out on big tracks? PIX WTF.

I'll get some pictures up once they are both running. We just picked them up. One needs a new chain and chain tensioners. The other needs a throttle cable (picking up today) and a radiator mounted. We live about 50 minutes from the tail of the dragon so we'll run them there a lot then any tracks nearby as well. Right now it looks like little tally, road atlanta and barber if not more.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
What?! Oh yeah they are street legal. fuuuucckkkkk. Can I borrow/rent one for a few dragon runs wehn I'm out there next?? sooooo much fun. Also 2 stroke or 4 for the 125 engines?

content...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Silver posted:

What?! Oh yeah they are street legal. fuuuucckkkkk. Can I borrow/rent one for a few dragon runs wehn I'm out there next?? sooooo much fun. Also 2 stroke or 4 for the 125 engines?

2 stroke, a 4 just doesn't seem right in those bikes. One has a YZ125 engine the other is a CR125 engine, both liquid cooled smokers. Got the throttle figured out on mine today. All that needs to be done before I can test ride it is mount the radiator and get a spring for the clutch cable so it engages when I release the lever.

Sure you can borrow one next time you swing by. As far as I'm concerned any of the CA "regulars" can within reason.

Content:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I keep thinking jazz is modern, but it really is our parents' idea of modern which still happens to sound modern. Listen to the bit when he's push starting the bike and then roaring past. You don't hear that anymore. (young person channeling unlived nostalgia itt)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwzXDaQgDw

S1000RR playing with a GT3RS.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That looks like so much fun for both car and bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

I keep thinking jazz is modern, but it really is our parents' idea of modern which still happens to sound modern.

Just to derail a bit - I think there's something of a truism that happens here. The old poo poo that still sounds modern, sounds modern because it was so influential at the time that modern music sort of built itself around it. It's in the bones of modern music, and therefore, since that's what we're mainly exposed to, the original music doesn't sound out of place. Anything that wasn't influential sounds old-fashioned, because that's precisely what it is: out of fashion.

I'm kind of becoming interested in the Bauhaus school of design for the exact same reason.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Ola posted:

I keep thinking jazz is modern, but it really is our parents' idea of modern which still happens to sound modern. Listen to the bit when he's push starting the bike and then roaring past. You don't hear that anymore. (young person channeling unlived nostalgia itt)

That video gave me a strong "one" vibe. Like I expected the guy to become trapped in his own body after a wreck.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well put Phy.

Armyman25 posted:

That video gave me a strong "one" vibe. Like I expected the guy to become trapped in his own body after a wreck.

TWO STROKE
HAS TAKEN MY SIGHT
TAKEN MY SPEECH
TAKEN MY HEARING

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

Slim Pickens posted:

More like 65, downhill. If you change the gearing it'll get around 75, but it'll suck getting going on the hills. A lot of the stock components are pretty much poo poo as well. The stock battery has no power and can hardly crank over the starter, the headlight uses some unique chinese bulbs so you either mail order them or convert it to a 5009 lamp, a garbage spark plug, the forks are filled inconsistently with fish oil, and the plate holder you can order with it doesn't even fit a regular size plate correctly. Quality control and shipping is kind of poo poo as well, because mine arrived with a punctured inner tube, no circlip holding the sprocket in place, a broken spark plug cap, a leaky fork and a dime-sized dent in the valve cover, which wasn't interfering with the engine operation at all and barely noticeable, so I said "gently caress it" instead of dealing with the factory warranty bullshit.
The leaky fork I didn't mess with until a year later when it started getting worse, and it took nearly 3 months to get that resolved. The only thing redeeming is that the dealers around here are all pretty good guys and sent me some fork seals they bought with their own money because the factory took so god drat long. It's also pretty cold blooded and a bitch to get warmed up. The gearbox and brakes kinda suck too, but otherwise, it's great! :suicide:
On the plus side, it's a cool looking bike and gets really good mileage. People ask you what it is every time you take it for a ride, or just wanna tell you "cool bike!" Dudes on the Hardknock forums have a couple threads where they've entered their $2000 kit bikes into bike competitions and beaten OCC abortions costing 10 times as much, which I haven't had a chance to try. They get around 70-80 mpg I think, and they're fun to ride, although the vibration at constant speed is gonna make your hands and rear end numb in a manner of minutes.

tldr - the vintage harley experience at 1/10th the price!

Weird. I figured it would do better than my CBR. It'll go 70 no problem. I just noticed in their gallery that all the bikes seem to have a shift knob. Can you actually shift gears with your foot, or is it all through the shifter?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All the 200's come with a hand shift and foot clutch, but people make conversions for it. I put a hand clutch on mine in addition to the foot clutch because trying to ease it out with your foot quickly or on hills becomes embarrassing and frustrating very quickly.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Woooooooo!

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 1, 2011

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

XR1500, it sounds great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqrSkg0TbNg&feature=player_embedded

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

:black101:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

This has most likely been posted but I just watched it again tonight and had to post it. :)

Part 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwicTKbWam4

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM18G8_o45I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
For comparison, that same trip takes about 40 minutes if you obey the speed limit all the way.