Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright so my hive is now totally devoid of bees, and rapidly being colonized by earwigs. No doubt worse is in store.

How should I store a whole hive over the winter? It's got frames with honey exposed and other frames with capped honey, and of course the empty brood frames.

I have a few choices I guess - I could keep them all in the garage, where they'll be less exposed to pests but might attract pests to come inside, which would be bad. I could store them on the (covered) patio, where if pests come in it won't be in my house, but they'll be out of the weather at least.

Or, I could try to clean them somehow. Harvesting the honey at this point might be difficult since it's brood-box stuff; mixed with (now empty) brood cells, and potentially still containing some sugar syrup solution we were feeding them in the spring. Just decap and wash away all that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Haha, I was the 'fellow beekeeper' who sent the samples in to the food testing lab.

Cool, isn't it? Here's part one of my writeup: http://www.boroughbees.com/2010/11/mystery-of-red-honey.html

I'd love it if y'all would share it around. I'd like to have more readers than just my mother.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Leperflesh, yeah that's what I'd do. Uncapped honey isn't good anyways. Decap, wash, and store it somewhere. I'm kinda nervous about my bees now. I've no idea how they're doing.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I'm cautiously optimistic. We've been feeding them for winter (2:1 syrup mix) and they've been socking it away in both hives.

We reduced the entrance on the langstroth and totally sealed one side of the top bar to prevent a cross breeze, so hopefully they're ready for the winter months. It shouldn't be too hard on them with any luck, given that I live in Texas.

Still, we had our first hard freeze last night so I'm worried about how they're doing.

Sorry about the absconding Leper. Didn't yours do the same earlier this year too?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

ShotgunWillie posted:

Haha, I was the 'fellow beekeeper' who sent the samples in to the food testing lab.

Cool, isn't it? Here's part one of my writeup: http://www.boroughbees.com/2010/11/mystery-of-red-honey.html

I'd love it if y'all would share it around. I'd like to have more readers than just my mother.

Wow, that is messed up. It is both hilarious and depressing that the bees went for the same junk food that humans do, and that it messed up their honey.

Also - that red honey looks like a horror movie, haha

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Sorry about the absconding Leper. Didn't yours do the same earlier this year too?

Nope. Might have been Ishmael? Someone else lost their bees this year but I don't remember whom.

We'll re-hive some new bees in the spring and it will be OK! It is a learning thing. We are learning.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Nope. Might have been Ishamael? Someone else lost their bees this year but I don't remember whom.

We'll re-hive some new bees in the spring and it will be OK! It is a learning thing. We are learning.

Yeah, it was me. It sucked, and it still sucks.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Am I the only one with bees still alive? They keep flying out on warm days. What about you guys?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Super, super busy on warm days, which it still gets periodically up into the 80s here in Texas.

I've been feeding them their 2:1 winter mix every couple of weeks and they're emptying it out quite fast.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
My girls in Ontario are still doing well. I haven't seeing them flying but I see a couple of dead ones out front each day. They're buzzing pretty loud when it's warm out and seem pretty healthy. I wrapped them up tight in tar paper and have the wind blocked from 3 directions, hopefully they make it to spring.

DominionGalactica
Oct 13, 2004

"Defender of the Universe"
This thread has made me so excited to get some bees!

I am a little north of Sydney, Australia. I've lived here for about 6 years, and we have a fairly good bee community here from what I've been able to tell just from local produce fairs etc. I've often bought the local honey off these guys but I've never ever considered having my own bees before.

I have gotten in contact with one of the local beekeepers,and I'm just waiting for a reply. I want to learn a bit more first, and I think I have decided to make a TBH.

Thanks guys!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Bee keeping is a go! I found a community garden that wants me to keep my bees there and start up a colony for them (at their expense). I plan on assembling all of the wooden ware for my two hives this weekend, and then order the garden's hive at the bee guild meeting the following week when they do a group hive order. All thats left as far as I can tell is buying bees!

I have one question on assembly. In the backyard beekeeper, the author says not to put the wax foundation in until 2 or 3 days before use because of sagging issues. I have not seen or heard of anyone else mentioning this problem. Should I listen to him, or can I just put the wax in as I build and wire the frames?

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

nesbit37 posted:

Bee keeping is a go! I found a community garden that wants me to keep my bees there and start up a colony for them (at their expense). I plan on assembling all of the wooden ware for my two hives this weekend, and then order the garden's hive at the bee guild meeting the following week when they do a group hive order. All thats left as far as I can tell is buying bees!

Awesome! Glad to see we've got another lunatic to join our group. I think for folks who can't or don't want to keep bees at their house, finding a community garden/nature preserve/farm where their hives are welcome is a perfect idea. And the fact that they'repaying for it in your case is even better.

quote:

I have one question on assembly. In the backyard beekeeper, the author says not to put the wax foundation in until 2 or 3 days before use because of sagging issues. I have not seen or heard of anyone else mentioning this problem. Should I listen to him, or can I just put the wax in as I build and wire the frames?

I haven't used wax foundation frames before but I throught they had wires running through them to help support the weight. Also, I'm not sure how much sag you would see in the frames if you're storing them vertically. I'd be more concerned if you put them all together and then left them laying around flat.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I haven't used wax foundation frames before but I throught they had wires running through them to help support the weight. Also, I'm not sure how much sag you would see in the frames if you're storing them vertically. I'd be more concerned if you put them all together and then left them laying around flat.

This is what I thought to, between the wires and storing them vertically in the hive I didn't understand how they would sag. Since I have 0 experience, however, I figured I should ask around rather than just trust my instinct.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've seen them stored either way. I don't think it's an issue at all. I suppose if there's a chance it could get really hot inside the hive - hotter than the bees would allow it to get while living in it - that could cause sagging.

Otherwise I think it's a pretty unlikely scenario, especially if they'll just be in there for a few days. I'd be more concerned about leaving wax in an empty hive for a long period being a great way to attract wax moths and their larvae, which will definitely destroy the wax. Pests are the main reason not to leave an empty hive sitting for a long period.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Talked to my local beekeeper this week, and he will have nucs for sale in the spring, and I am pre-ordered. I am also gonna get rid of my stupid TBH (if anyone wants to come get it it is free), and do a Lang hive instead.

Bees, I am returning to you!!

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 14, 2011

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Ishamael posted:

Talked to my local beekeeper this week, and he will have nucs for sale in the spring, and I am pre-ordered. I am also gonna get rid of my stupid TBH (if anyone wants to come get it it is free), and do a Lang hive instead.

Bees, I am returning to you!!

Where are you? I'm going to be running quite a few hives in Brooklyn next year and wouldn't mind playing around with a top bar hive.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

ShotgunWillie posted:

Where are you? I'm going to be running quite a few hives in Brooklyn next year and wouldn't mind playing around with a top bar hive.

I am in Raleigh NC. If you (or anyone else) is in the area, they can have my old hive, which functioned just fine...until the bees left and broke my heart.

You broke my heart, Fredo. You broke my heart.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Welp, I was feeling pretty optimistic about them making it through the winter until this morning. Saw this out front of the hive and I can't hear them buzzing anymore. Hopefully they're just at the back of the hive or something but it's been a cold couple of weeks (below -20C almost every night).

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Wow. Did you cover the hive in black tar paper? I can't tell from the picture. If I were you I'd try to shovel the snow away from the hive so it isn't surrounding it. But it might be too late.

My bees are already up and about..Aah, Californian spring.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Maximusi posted:

Wow. Did you cover the hive in black tar paper? I can't tell from the picture. If I were you I'd try to shovel the snow away from the hive so it isn't surrounding it. But it might be too late.

My bees are already up and about..Aah, Californian spring.

I think the snow would insulate the hive - snow makes a pretty decent insulator.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yeah, it's pretty common to wrap them in tar paper around here, absorbs the sunlight a bit. I actually shoveled the snow into 3 sides of the the hive to insulate it a bit against the wind, the snow can't be colder than the air and there's a little air pocket between the hive and the snow.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's hard to tell from the pic but that only looks like maybe a hundred bees. Perhaps they've been accumulating inside, and today it was finally warm enough for the bees to do some house cleaning?

Bees can handle it being really cold at night, as long as it warms up enough, often enough, that they can open up the ball and do some work. Critically, they need to get honey from the storage areas and bring it inward, and if it stays too cold for too long they can't do that.

Also of course they have to not freeze to death. The ones on the outside of the ball get rotated inwards regularly, but at -20 I'm sure there's lots of casualties anyway. So I'd expect to see some dead bees every time it warms up, just, not a catastrophic number.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yeah, compared to how many were there going in to winter, it's not a huge percentage. I'm thinking it might be the snow insulation I put there yesterday made them think it was warmer out than it actually was. It's sad watching them come out, buzz around a bit with lots of energy then freeze to death in about 5 seconds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Make sure you haven't altered the ventilation of the hive either. They have to regulate both temperature and humidity, and if you make it too snug, it'll get both hot and really wet inside and that will force them out to try and fan, which of course won't work if it's still super freezing cold out.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
How do yall handle treating for mites in the winter?

Any opinions on Apiguard? We're trying to keep things as organic as possible, but this seems pretty harmless.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -