Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Surprisingly sometimes improbable things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

niethan posted:

Surprisingly sometimes improbable things happen.

I don't think you need to make a point that 10-9, 10-9, 8-10 fights are rare, or that a system should/shouldn't be biased for them?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
No the point was wether 10-10 or 10-8 are more likely to result in draws.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't understand why a draw should be scandalous and disappointing unless that wasn't the deserved outcome. My enjoyment of a fight is based on the fight; I don't get soured on the ending unless someone got screwed. I know the reality is that a lot of people feel that way anyway, but I don't.

A related question is win bonuses in case of a draw. I suppose we're relying on Dana White's charity in that case; hopefully he would award it to both fighters if they drew because one guy surged and got a 10-8 or it was a really close active fight all the way through, and not do so if it was a lovely gassy fight.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I like draws when it happens with two good fighters. Because in that case we are probably getting an extra-hyped rematch, like what's going to happen with Edgar and Maynard.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think screens for the judges are an obvious good idea but it has to be done right and there some issues that immediately arise:

(1) Would the judges have control over which camera angle their monitor displays?
- If they do have control, how much of the action are judges going to miss while messing with their monitors because they're old and befuddled by technology? Will there be uniformity in what angles are available and how they are selected, or will these already confused judges have to figure out some new system for every event/promotion?
- If judges don't control the angles, are we concerned about the fact that the promoter/producers can now have some control over what the judges do and don't see? Also, every UFC event features an accidental cut to a wide shot of the arena or 3 minutes without audio, what happens if the judges' feed should accidentally (or even "accidentally") cut out at a crucial moment in a fight? Obviously they can just look up at the cage, but it would be a serious distraction.

(2) Would there be monitors for every event, even untelevised events?
- If there would be, do we think the promoters of untelevised shows are competent enough to set up cameras/monitors correctly? Are we concerned about this big extra cost to small shows?
- If there wouldn't be, does it bother us that the judging methods are going to differ based solely on whether the fight is on TV? Would televised shows be required to provide judges' monitors, or would it be up to the promoter?

Basically I think I can understand why Kizer freaked out a little bit when he walked in and saw monitors set up without any of these questions being answered. The unfortunate thing is that he will never make the effort to answer these questions and because of that we won't get monitors for judges.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
That's actually something I hadn't considered. If the rules called for monitors for judges, it would gently caress over small-time shows who can't afford such equipment, unless the commission also agreed to be the provider of such equipment for smaller shows.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mobn posted:

That's actually something I hadn't considered. If the rules called for monitors for judges, it would gently caress over small-time shows who can't afford such equipment, unless the commission also agreed to be the provider of such equipment for smaller shows.

No rules should require monitors. It should be sufficient that there are supplemental rules for how to provide them.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

kimbo305 posted:

No rules should require monitors. It should be sufficient that there are supplemental rules for how to provide them.

The thing is, you want consistency in judging across all matches, and if some promotions provide monitors and others don't, there can be an argument that it has an unfair impact on a fighter's record if he loses a decision on a show that does not provide monitors.

I'm not saying that's a good argument, but it's probably one of the many threads of thought going through Kizer's mind.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ACs are free to approve or disapprove of any promotion's rules and general organization. I don't see a problem with a fighter's composite record coming from fights under several rulesets. There will always be controversial decisions, whether or not technological aids are involved. Fighters expect that.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Rules are already not uniform across promotions.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
What I'm saying is Jake Shields should not be up for a title shot because his Strikeforce wins don't count because they can't use elbows

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
You can't see everything sitting cageside. Even if you are occasionally looking up at the bigscreen.

Why do you think the scoring in a fight like Garcia/Phan is so obvious to people watching on TV at home and even on lovely streams and can't be figured out by folks sitting 3 feet away from the fence?

I really think you would see a marked improvement in judging just by sticking the judges backstage and having them watch the regular broadcast feed.

Unless the judges suck because of being old and not having accurate eyeballs nor knowing what the gently caress. In that case I see no solution except replacing them with younger, more competent judges.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Big Bob Pataki posted:

What I'm saying is Jake Shields should not be up for a title shot because his Strikeforce wins don't count because they can't use elbows

the athletic commissions are only there to make sure paulo doesn't bring an axe into the ring with him, title shots etc are all up to the promotion. kimbo could fight for the heavyweight title at UFC 130 if dana wanted. the commission has canceled fights like wes sims vs lashley because of experience gaps before but that's rare.

vvv haha drat, shows what I get for posting with a fever (not dengue)

ForbiddenWonder fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 16, 2011

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I want to be an rear end in a top hat in pointing out that I was joking but you were actually trying to help and give good examples

I don't know how to handle this situation

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

ForbiddenWonder posted:

the athletic commissions are only there to make sure paulo doesn't bring an axe into the ring with him, title shots etc are all up to the promotion. kimbo could fight for the heavyweight title at UFC 130 if dana wanted. the commission has canceled fights like wes sims vs lashley because of experience gaps before but that's rare.

Did the comission really think that Wes Sims would have beats down Lashley that badly? Or even better, did they think LAshley was gonna whup Sims? hahahaha

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
I will never forgive the Nevada State Athletic Commission for not approving Mark Hunt vs Butterbean.

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

ForbiddenWonder posted:

but that fight actually happened?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
He means Sims vs Sylvia
http://mmajunkie.com/news/17969/ohio-commission-turns-down-wes-sims-vs-tim-sylva-at-adrenaline-mma-iv.mma

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
why do bjj guys always say "position before submission" but then try to work off their backs when that is the losingest position?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Because a lot of BJJ guys are stupid and fall on their backs at the slightest provocation. American Jiu-Jitsu is the new thing.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--kqaR4QAHE

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
For those of you who are new to MMA, Dave Meltzer has a long write up about Fedor's career in this week's Wrestling Observer.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Effective grappling isn't defined very well. Taken in isolation, is pressing someone against the fence for 2 minutes effective? Is passing guard effective?

I'd say neither of those. The only effective grappling should be attempts to cause damage (a slam or submission attempt). Dominant position (or ride time, as it's called in collegiate wrestling) should not factor in at all.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
If you're able to control your opponent so much in the grappling aspect that they can't mount an offense or escape I'd say that's pretty effective.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

henkman posted:

If you're able to control your opponent so much in the grappling aspect that they can't mount an offense or escape I'd say that's pretty effective.

I agree - though the people suggesting that control shouldn't factor would never do it watch Jon Fitch's fights and there is no way to come out of it saying that his opponents won the fight with a straight face. His style may be very very boring to some (most) but to say that it doesn't indicate complete dominance and that the rules should be changed is just because of not liking it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gomi Pile posted:

why do bjj guys always say "position before submission" but then try to work off their backs when that is the losingest position?
If you can't strike or wrestle, whattaya got besides pulling guard and working from there?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gomi Pile posted:

Bottom positions are losinger than top positions, but the guard is the least losingest bottom position, so if a dude gets taken down they work from the guard to get on top. You don't really see guys pull guard in mma these days; when they do it is usually because they are bad/desperate.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
but a lot of the time you see guys hang out in guard, and not frantically and constantly attempt to stand up or sweep. is this bad coaching or genetic or what

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Gomi Pile posted:

but a lot of the time you see guys hang out in guard, and not frantically and constantly attempt to stand up or sweep. is this bad coaching or genetic or what

bad cardio, usually.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gomi Pile posted:

Generally it's because the guy on top isn't doing much. Frantically and constantly trying to do anything when the other guy is not doing much and can therefore quickly react and stop you is extremely exhausting and usually doesn't work.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
so what you are saying is that bjj is powerless against a man who mostly wants to lay upon you motionlessly

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gomi Pile posted:

so what you are saying is that bjj is powerless against a man who mostly wants to lay upon you motionlessly

congrats, you have rediscovered Frank Shamrock's vaunted Cat Theory of top position.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gomi Pile posted:

If there's one thing Arona has demonstrated, it's that nearly everything is powerless against a man who mostly wants to lay upon you motionlessly

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
so if there's this obvious and glaring flaw why aren't people actively trying to find techniques to overcome it

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gomi Pile posted:

so if there's this obvious and glaring flaw why aren't people actively trying to find techniques to overcome it

They are. For example lots of guys have gotten good as using the cage to wall-walk back to their feet (like Guillard), guys with good wrestling are good at creating space and coming forward with single legs to take their opponent down or stand back up (Maia is pretty good at this) and some guys are good enough to hit sweeps and subs even when their opponent is locking down. You actually don't often see top ten or top five guys just straight up stuck on their backs these days. Except Kenny Florian.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gomi Pile posted:

its weird

Faaaatheeeerdooooooog!:argh:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
force everyone to wear a gi and guard will become far more exciting.

...Every other position will move like molasses.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
Hey Coitus_Interreptus, do you mind if I use your post on page 8 about Kakuda in another SAS thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Has the UFC ever had a big post-match brawl like Mayhem vs Stockton in Strikeforce or Hammer House vs Chute Boxe in Pride?