Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Hello Chris!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I am confused and cautiously optimistic :unsmith:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't think it was possible for my heart to skip a beat while looking at Google Reader, but damned if Achewood (1) didn't do it. :unsmith:

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Chris was knocked up by a FedEx delivery man? Is Chris . . . pregnant? :allears:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dear Chris Onstad,

I am sorry you were sad. I hope you feel better. Thank you for another cartoon about talking cats and stuffed animals. It made me smile.

Love, Dick Eye.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Juice Packets posted:

As if by magic...

:siren:NEW STRIP:siren:

Hell of breaking the fourth wall and explaining his man-issues through his comic strip abouts cats and stuffed animals.

i was fully expecting to find out another character sold his eyes. hope this is a signal of intent and not just a combination cop-out/monthly update.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That was pretty weak, but at least it was an update.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Haha, Kombucha-boarding. Kombucha is so loving gross.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Don't worry Philippe, you'll get your submarine yet :unsmith:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Do you think they'll have to piss out "What is" or "Who is" every time?

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That was so awesome and made me so happy to read :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn I laughed my rear end off the whole way through, especially when Philippe realized no submarine was coming. Also Proud Man Syndrome.

I hope this is a welcome back and not another six weeks between strips, but regardless of all that I loved this strip.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Silentman0 posted:

Do you think they'll have to piss out "What is" or "Who is" every time?

Why do you think it's the most painful category?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ManiacClown posted:

Hate to be the guy who has to refill the tank on the Piss Jeopardy robot.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

ManiacClown posted:

I don't know, stopping and starting every dot of braille makes me cringe

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There is balm in Gilead!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phy posted:

Hate to be the guy who has to refill the tank on the Piss Jeopardy robot.

If the robot gets to be laser-guided can we strap laser pointers to our dongs?

Gentlemen, I believe we have reached the next level of spelling things out with piss.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I hope that Chris is really okay now!

...I think it's sweet that he tried to load up every panel with some creative combination of words to make up for the lost strips :unsmith:

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
there is joy in my heart

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I thought this strip was HILARIOUS. There's a few gems (the urine calligraphy is worth a good wince) and it's nice to see everyone again.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wonder if this strip appeared because we're slowly heading intro spring and Onsta..., I mean Roast Beef's S.O.S.A.D. is going into it's yearly remission?

HobbyEnjoyer81
Jan 28, 2011

by Fistgrrl

benito posted:

I just listened to this the other day:

Interview with Chris Onstad
January 2009
The Sound of Young America

Not really anything new here if you've read some interviews with Onstad, but you get to hear what he sounded like during a more upbeat and active time.

I honestly think he feels he's outgrown his strictly internet based audience at this point, perhaps along with the existential meltdown or whatever else. I've been with this comic since 2003 and reading it nearly every day, so I remember the time when the online store was sparse and he was selling those paintings of characters for about $100 a pop. Months before the comic started trailing off, he was suddenly writing articles for The New Yorker and Esquire and NPR, having all these recognizable journalists polish his ego over what a voice of a generation he was. Right before the hiatus, I remember he was cooking dead animal testicles with a famous chef for some reason.

Goddamn I wish I'd jumped on his cheapo artwork way back then, too.

Juice Packets
Sep 22, 2005

They're Handy But They Leak Like Fuck!™
Is the guy doing commissioned work anymore? Chris? Are you doing commissions anymore?

How much do I have to pay you? Lots? Some?

(does he even post here these days oh god)

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Juice Packets posted:

Is the guy doing commissioned work anymore? Chris? Are you doing commissions anymore?

How much do I have to pay you? Lots? Some?

(does he even post here these days oh god)

He hasn't posted here in just about forever, though he may still lurk. And to the best of my knowledge, he has never done commissions.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, it wasn't commissions so much as he'd sell a painting on e-bay every once in a while.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think it's time to read through the archives again.

I should be done about the time another update goes up badum-pssh.

But really, it's time to do another read through, I haven't done it since before Cornelius fell in love with a stripper.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

McGravin posted:

He hasn't posted here in just about forever, though he may still lurk. And to the best of my knowledge, he has never done commissions.

a few of the pieces in the gallery are labeled as commissions.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Stopped reading this comic in January 2010 for some reason, so I just caught up on a year's worth of Achewood in one sitting. That was awesome. It's too bad you can't do that every day.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Stopped reading this comic in January 2010 for some reason, so I just caught up on a year's worth of Achewood in one sitting. That was awesome. It's too bad you can't do that every day.

How long did that take you?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How long did that take you?

Catching up on a years worth of Achewood? 2 minutes, give or take.

:iceburn:

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
It took about an hour or so, got the impression that there were a lot fewer strips in 2010 than other years. After looking through the last few pages of this thread it kinda starts to make sense.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
So we've got about 2 weeks before we get another comic about how there hasn't been a comic in awhile but they're starting now, right? And the alt-text will be something like "hey everyone i'm back"? I just want to know so I can mark it on my calendar.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Oodles of Wootles posted:

So we've got about 2 weeks before we get another comic about how there hasn't been a comic in awhile but they're starting now, right? And the alt-text will be something like "hey everyone i'm back"? I just want to know so I can mark it on my calendar.

According to his Twitter, he's in Disney right now, or just about done with the vacation. It's a valid reason for not updating the comic as opposed to weeks of silence with only vague hints about a "brain problem" buried in subscriber-only info.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BJPaskoff posted:

According to his Twitter, he's in Disney right now, or just about done with the vacation. It's a valid reason for not updating the comic as opposed to weeks of silence with only vague hints about a "brain problem" buried in subscriber-only info.

"brain problems" being he doesn't want to do the strip anymore, but isn't willing to admit it to himself.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Johnny Aztec posted:

"brain problems" being he doesn't want to do the strip anymore, but isn't willing to admit it to himself.

Maybe. He might also just be depressed and have low motivation to really do anything. I've been there, so I get it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dominion posted:

Maybe. He might also just be depressed and have low motivation to really do anything. I've been there, so I get it.

Yeah, if this is the case, he could at least have the balls to just say "gently caress it, I'm done."

He's stringing us along like a girlfriend who cheats on you endlessly simply because she can't man-up and just tell you it's over. Onstad is probably polishing some other comics knob right now.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Or he wants some middle ground between "here is a new comic every other day" and "no Achewood forever".

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I wouldn't exactly call the current rate a "middle ground".

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Cobweb Heart posted:

I wouldn't exactly call the current rate a "middle ground".

Right, but I'm saying maybe Onstad is trying to find a middle ground, and I'm disagreeing with Bloody Hedgehog that he should "just say 'gently caress it, I'm done.'" And never work on Achewood again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, it's not like he's doing this on purpose. If he's depressed then by definition he's not thinking about it logically.