Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Well I ordered my hive from Dadant, can't wait! I am storing the TBH in the shed until some future time when I will try it again. This year it is Lang hive all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My hive is in California at my dads and Im still in Colorado snowboarding so I cant put it together. Luckily I was able to stop at Redstone Meadery and grab some delicious mead. 6 more weeks to bees.

AFK SWARM OF BEES
Jun 24, 2008

You are swearing now that someday you'll destroy me. Remember: far better women than you have sworn the same. Go and look for them now.
Went to a beekeeping meeting last night, got to talk to some interesting folks. There was a really engaging presentation by an entomologist/professor about beehives representing a "superorganism" and the genetics between supersisters and lesser sisters. It was nice to be around a bunch of people who share your enthusiasm, especially when you have a lot of friends/family who are either repulsed at the idea of bees or tired of hearing you talk about your beekeeping. :)

Our hive is going to go in a semi-shaded area beneath a fig tree in the backyard. We have a small stream that runs behind our house, and our neighbors have a pool and hot tub. I'm already dreading the idea of the bees flocking to the pool/hot tub to get water. So, I planned on putting a birdbath near the hive to give the bees another option of close water. Does anyone have any stories about bees and water sources? Do they pick a favorite source and go to it, regardless of what else is around? Or will they usually stick to whatever's closest to the hive (or most clean, most fresh)?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

AFK SWARM OF BEES posted:

Went to a beekeeping meeting last night, got to talk to some interesting folks. There was a really engaging presentation by an entomologist/professor about beehives representing a "superorganism" and the genetics between supersisters and lesser sisters. It was nice to be around a bunch of people who share your enthusiasm, especially when you have a lot of friends/family who are either repulsed at the idea of bees or tired of hearing you talk about your beekeeping. :)

Our hive is going to go in a semi-shaded area beneath a fig tree in the backyard. We have a small stream that runs behind our house, and our neighbors have a pool and hot tub. I'm already dreading the idea of the bees flocking to the pool/hot tub to get water. So, I planned on putting a birdbath near the hive to give the bees another option of close water. Does anyone have any stories about bees and water sources? Do they pick a favorite source and go to it, regardless of what else is around? Or will they usually stick to whatever's closest to the hive (or most clean, most fresh)?

Beekeeping meet-ups are great, and they've really changed in recent years. When I started beekeeping, I was the youngest person in the room by about 40 years. Hell, my Dad was probably the second youngest. These day's, it's all about a younger generation finding their own way and learning from those older gentlemen. I'm no longer the youngest in the room. By far. It's fantastic.

You're always going to have a few bees wander over to your neighbor's place to find water, but if you provide a sweet and clear source of water that is constantly renewed and closer to the hive than their pool, the bees will go to that preferentially. Just make sure that you always keep it full and fresh.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Well, my beehive got here, and it is a mess.

Apparently there are 2 sizes of hive that dadant offers, and their website and catalog don't make that clear. So I have half the hive at one size and half at the other, and they do not go together at all!

I was going to just order another half-and-half hive and make 2 hives, a bigger and smaller, but I can't even figure out on their website which is which!!

:argh:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Ishamael posted:

Well, my beehive got here, and it is a mess.

Apparently there are 2 sizes of hive that dadant offers, and their website and catalog don't make that clear. So I have half the hive at one size and half at the other, and they do not go together at all!

I was going to just order another half-and-half hive and make 2 hives, a bigger and smaller, but I can't even figure out on their website which is which!!

:argh:

You got 8 frame and 10 frame?

8 frame is dumb.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

ShotgunWillie posted:

You got 8 frame and 10 frame?

8 frame is dumb.

Yeah, I have a half an 8frame hive and half a 10frame! And on their website there is no way to tell the difference. Hopefully they can help me sort this out.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Does anyone else have dreams of the bees attacking you or swarming? I think I fear my bees.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Ishamael posted:

Yeah, I have a half an 8frame hive and half a 10frame! And on their website there is no way to tell the difference. Hopefully they can help me sort this out.

I was having the same problem when I was looking through their stuff, nothing is labeled very well, its all kinda vague. I just bought a beginners kit and hoped for the best.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

lightpole posted:

I was having the same problem when I was looking through their stuff, nothing is labeled very well, its all kinda vague. I just bought a beginners kit and hoped for the best.

Yeah that was my problem, I bought a complete hive (deep, bottom board, inner cover, outer cover), and then added on to my order with a second deep, two supers and a feeder. Well the stuff I "added on" is 10-frame, and the rest is 8-frame.

Hopefully they will be cool about helping me figure this out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That sucks, I must say, a lot of the online catalogs for this stuff suck, especially if its your first time ordering. I went through Brushymountain for their free shipping deal back in December and almost had the same problem. Luckily I caught it before I paid.

A question: I am taking a bee keeping course with Jim Bobb at his honey farm, and in last weeks lesson he mentioned to not add new frames of non-built up foundation past mid-June because the bees are more or less done making wax and will just take the foundation wax and use it elsewhere.

I didn't think of this at the time, but can you just take a hunk of bee's wax and leave it near the hive, say with the feeder, for the bees to just take and use as they see fit? If so, I could just see that as being something to help out a new colony get started.

AFK SWARM OF BEES
Jun 24, 2008

You are swearing now that someday you'll destroy me. Remember: far better women than you have sworn the same. Go and look for them now.

nesbit37 posted:

That sucks, I must say, a lot of the online catalogs for this stuff suck, especially if its your first time ordering. I went through Brushymountain for their free shipping deal back in December and almost had the same problem. Luckily I caught it before I paid.

A question: I am taking a bee keeping course with Jim Bobb at his honey farm, and in last weeks lesson he mentioned to not add new frames of non-built up foundation past mid-June because the bees are more or less done making wax and will just take the foundation wax and use it elsewhere.

I didn't think of this at the time, but can you just take a hunk of bee's wax and leave it near the hive, say with the feeder, for the bees to just take and use as they see fit? If so, I could just see that as being something to help out a new colony get started.

I went to Brushy Mountain for my first supplies too, and I had to call their hotline and double check on some items before I ordered them. The lady on the hotline was very helpful, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

My bees were happy to keep building new honey frames in september. If you think about it, what that guy told you makes no sense. How would the bees handle having filled their current amount of comb, but still having nectar flow, in the late summer? Including wild hives. Since nectar amounts are variable from year to year, the bees cannot anticipate exactly how much space they'll need for honey when it's still June. They must be able to build up new comb/new frames at any time.

The reality is, young bees produce wax automatically; and there are young bees in the hive all the way until early winter. They might slow down wax production somewhat as the summer gets near the end, but it won't end completely until a few weeks after the queen stops producing new bees.

Of course, the actual months depends on your location. If there is *no* autumn nectar flow, then I guess, maybe. But I think you're fine to add new honey supers at any time that the current ones are full.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 13, 2011

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I was out checking on my failed colony today and it looks like they starved. Every bit of comb was completely devoid of any honey.

When I checked them towards the end of last year they had almost completely filled both the deeps. I don't really understand how the winter cluster could go through that many frames of honey in a single winter and not have enough to survive.

On a positive note, while I was out examining and cleaning the hive a lone bee showed up and started wandering around. I went ahead and dribbled some lemongrass oil (sorry Shotgun but it had already arrived) on the entrance and the tops of a couple of frames. Hopefully the loner that showed up was a scout and she'll bring the family in for a party.

By-the-by, when I started this thread I didn't realize how popular it was going to be and how long it was going to go. The OP is woefully inadequate and there are a number of people now posting who know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than I do. If somebody is willing to put together a decent OP and start a new thread, let me know and we can point people there and close this one here.

TouchyMcFeely fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 13, 2011

DominionGalactica
Oct 13, 2004

"Defender of the Universe"
Hey Touchy, I would suggest leaving the OP as it is. It has the absolute perfect amount of information and enthusiasm to hook "newbees". I basically went through the whole thread in one sitting and by the end of it was hell bent on making a top bar hive.

There is enough quality information throughout the thread body to keep the reader informed, and you don't really want to swamp people with details right off the bat and overwhelm them.

Awesome thread is awesome as it is. Thanks again to introducing me to this wonderful wonderful world of bees. :)

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Thanks DG.

I ran across an interesting video on YouTube from a hardcore beekeeper on how he processes and prepares wax. He's well out of the realm of hobbyist but I thought it was pretty interesting with some good information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjocJKzo128

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Leperflesh posted:

My bees were happy to keep building new honey frames in september. If you think about it, what that guy told you makes no sense. How would the bees handle having filled their current amount of comb, but still having nectar flow, in the late summer? Including wild hives. Since nectar amounts are variable from year to year, the bees cannot anticipate exactly how much space they'll need for honey when it's still June. They must be able to build up new comb/new frames at any time.

The reality is, young bees produce wax automatically; and there are young bees in the hive all the way until early winter. They might slow down wax production somewhat as the summer gets near the end, but it won't end completely until a few weeks after the queen stops producing new bees.

It didn't make much sense to me either, but since the guy is a commercial beekeeper with 300 hives, Chairman of the Eastern Apiculture Society, and past president of the Pennsylvania State Beekeepers Association I figured he knew what he was talking about. According to him, at least for the Philadelphia region, after the spring flow they stop making wax for the summer dearth, which makes sense, but then when the September flow starts up they rarely fill out new comb. That's the part that seemed odd, but I figure experience trumps book reading.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, nesbit, he's way more experienced than I am... and I'm also in California, where no doubt we have a very different climate and nectar flow pattern.

I'd suggest it wouldn't hurt to give them a few empty frames and see what they do with them.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

DominionGalactica posted:

Hey Touchy, I would suggest leaving the OP as it is. It has the absolute perfect amount of information and enthusiasm to hook "newbees". I basically went through the whole thread in one sitting and by the end of it was hell bent on making a top bar hive.

As a crotchety old beekeeper, please do not do this.

I know that there is a huge amount of internet hype about top bar hives and how great and 'natural' they are, but please don't buy into it just because there are forums devoted to it on the internet.

Think of it this way: In the wild bees live in hollow trees, long VERTICAL enclosed spaces. Their natural instinct is to build vertically, keeping the heavy honey at the very top of the hive where the comb is the strongest and storing the light pollen and brood at the bottom. This instinct is what beekeepers take advantage of to encourage growth and production (and limit swarming behavior) by adding additional hive bodies or supers to the top of the hive. If they always have space on top to fill, they are fooled into believing that there is always space to expand within the colony.

Bees are dumb, but they are creatures of habit. Honey is always preferentially placed vertically OVER the brood. Have you spotted the problem with top bar hives yet?

They're horizontal. No matter how many bars you add to the end, the bees are limited vertically almost immediately and so they tend to respond as such. They will build out horizontally eventually but they tend to swarm prolifically, and because you can't add more vertical boxes, there is little you can do to prevent it other than constantly cutting out queen cells or letting them swarm.

Get a Langstroth. If you decide that you want to try top bars once you get a little experience, give it a shot.

DominionGalactica
Oct 13, 2004

Nah there are a number of other factors involved: not just internet forums bringing out the hippy in me.

I have arthritis, and very little strength left in my hands and wrists, so a TBH appeals to me as i wont have to be trying to lift potentially very heavy parts of a langstroth. Since I wouldn't be able to keep adding supers on top (because I wont be able to remove them at all), I may as well try the TBH.

I have been researching them and while I realise they are not as bountiful as some other hive designs, its my best option at this point in time.

Hopefully I can make it work for me, and if not, at least I've tried and learned something new! I am still pretty excited. :)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/queenofthesun/

New documentary coming out about bees and beekeepers.

I'm not brushing my facial hair over my bees, sorry dude.

DominionGalactica
Oct 13, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Nice! Here is their official site in case you want it. http://www.queenofthesun.com/

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Good trailer - Got me excited for another year of beekeeping, hopefully more successful than last year!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Well, dadant won't take back the stuff I got, since I started to put it together before realizing it was the wrong size.

Thanks a lot, dadant! You blow.

EDIT: I told them their website descriptions are crap, but they aren't changing anything, I guarantee it.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 16, 2011

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Perhaps you could unload the 8 frame stuff on a middle aged female bee-keeper? Most of the over 40 women in my classes who are just starting seem to be starting with 8 frames so they don't have to strain as much lifting that sweet gold.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Perhaps you could unload the 8 frame stuff on a middle aged female bee-keeper? Most of the over 40 women in my classes who are just starting seem to be starting with 8 frames so they don't have to strain as much lifting that sweet gold.

Yeah I think I am going to finish building the 8-frame hive, paint it, and sell it.

Or maybe I will just have 2 hives, a big and a little!

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -