Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

theboop posted:

what's been goin' on:

http://bit.ly/eBCDCf

Hey! I wasn't doing "a bunch of entitled whining." Oh wait, yes I was. I for one would love to read a big book of prose from Onstad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

theboop posted:

what's been goin' on:

Jesus man, just say you quit already. No "that's what RSS is for and p.s. please pay money for something less entertaining than what I used to provide for free."

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
So its finally official that Achewood is over for all intents and purposes. It had a good run until this painful past year of paid subscribers getting the shaft as well as people never getting things they ordered from the merchandise store.

Not a big fan of him trying to continue to squeeze donations for the servers for a dead project, or plugging the fan flow that has been largely abandoned or neglected for large parts of the past year. I learned my lesson about paying the man after what happened to the fan flow and more than a few people whose paid orders for merch never arrived, nor ever will.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You'd have to pay for the fanflow to even comment on that journal.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

He should pull a Berke Breathed and make a new comic which over time gradually starts involving all the characters of his old comic.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

theboop posted:

what's been goin' on:

I am so sick of that Neil Gaiman article he's wielding like a shield, mostly because it doesn't even really apply to the guy Gaiman's trying to defend. Surely GRR Martin has a contract with his publishing house to finish the series, even if he does owe his fans nothing.

That said, personally I certainly don't feel owed any more Achewood, so the only people Onstad really owes anything to now are the people whose money he still has for stuff from the Achewood store...

Also much as I love PG Wodehouse, I'm not really sure he's the best person to cite as an artistic role model, since he did essentially write the same book about a hundred times (it is an utterly charming book, though). Also that Nazi collaboration thing...

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 21, 2011

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
See, this is exactly what I wanted. I'm satisfied with this explanation, regardless of what you haters are sayin'. All I wanted was to know for sure.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Slashie posted:

Jesus man, just say you quit already. No "that's what RSS is for and p.s. please pay money for something less entertaining than what I used to provide for free."

I understand everything Onstad is saying and agree that we have no right to complain about no longer receiving what we have been getting for free.

But this is the same thing we've been told for months now and at this point I would rather he just say, "It's dead, buy my book" so I can give Achewood my own personal funeral and go buy his book that I am sure I will love.

I love you Onstad, you are a talented and entertaining man whose work has inspired deep things in me. I have never and will never feel as if you "owe" me more drawings of verbose cats. But I feel as if my friend is on life support and wish for my doctor to either provide the necessary operation to give it life or pull the plug.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 21, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh well, whenever the new comic strip comes out I'll read it and hopefully laugh, it sucks that we won't be gettin' it regular for the foreseeable future.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I get the feeling his schpiel about entitlements isn't necessarily aimed at people that were just going, "aw, man, where's the comic been?" He's probably been getting a lot more than that, yeah?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I guess that explanation is about what most of us expected. I'm happy he's not leaving Achewood behind forever, but it is a bit sad. At least we got eased into the hiatus/pergatory/whatever? :shobon:

People who paid for stuff and didn't get it should still be mad though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Welp, that's that then. Pack it up, we're done.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, man, those people who paid for things and never received them are totally just entitled whiners.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think his entire argument is moot anyways since he takes "donations". As soon as you start earning money for something, money coming out of other peoples pockets, then you should make an effort to get things done and earn that money. I guess he feels his chapbooks are worth the "donations", but if scribbling around in book is worth money, then anyone could get on the web and upload their pointless doodles and get paid for them.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
On the one hand I totally felt where he was coming from. I think everyone who has ever tried a creative project has felt this way at one point or another.

On the other hand gently caress yes people who haven't gotten the content and merchandise that they paid for are entitled to complain! He wrote an essay on how people who get free content in little pieces shouldn't bitch on his microsubscription service. :psyduck:

Speaking for myself, I don't see my Assetbar subscription getting reactivated to see more chapbooks and potential half-formed things. I'll take the suggestion of leaving it to RSS (in the same category as PBF - "updates rare as the dickens").

e: Is there an RSS feed for only the achewood.com updates and not the assetbar subscription? I can't find one now :saddowns:

csammis fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 21, 2011

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
I imagine that if I looked back through this thread, I would see my own posts wavering between defending Onstad and attacking him, but I'd like to think that none of what I said was "entitled whining". At worst, I would call what I have said simply disappointment.

Maybe there's been a bit of whining in here, but overall I don't think it's been all that bad. Maybe the worst of it, if it exists at all, lies elsewhere.

I do, however, have two things to say to Onstad if he's reading, as unlikely as that is these days:

First, you're absolutely right that you owe us, your fans, nothing. But, we owe you nothing in return. Up until now there's been a fair exchange of your comics for our fan loyalty. If you want to change the arrangement at this point, that's absolutely fine--you're totally entitled, if you feel your creative juices drying up--but don't be surprised and hurt when we feel a little betrayed and say so. And if your comic continues to wilt away, it's quite likely that many will eventually stop reading it and seek greener pastures.

And second, "Please stop whining. Here's why I'm slowing or stopping the comic. PS: [sales pitch]" Classy.

I guess this is me moving from disappointment to annoyance.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

csammis posted:

e: Is there an RSS feed for only the achewood.com updates and not the assetbar subscription? I can't find one now :saddowns:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/achewoodfeed/data/atom has worked fine for me since forever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seeing achewood like this is like seeing an old dog with cancer that's barely clinging on to life. You had a great time with him when he was young, and you'll always have those memories, but right now he's just in so much pain.

Here's the gun, Chris. It's time to do the right thing.

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008
Can anyone send me an alternate link to read this other than what's on the achewood page right now? Doesn't appear to be working anymore, in fact it looks like assetbar has been shut down completely. :(

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

SearchForDelicious posted:

Can anyone send me an alternate link to read this other than what's on the achewood page right now? Doesn't appear to be working anymore, in fact it looks like assetbar has been shut down completely. :(

Moved to his personal blog during server maintenance. Be sure to donate to keep Achewood up and running so you'll never miss an update! :v:

vvv Weird, not for me. I'm reading through the blog right now. Hilariously, the next most recent update is 2009's "here's why the strips are so few and far between" essay.

Slashie fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 21, 2011

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Servers are down on that ^

Chris Onsted posted:

Hiatus, Explained Tenderly and with a Great Gentleness.

[Editor's note: this is an emergency relocation of the original Fanflow release, as I did not realize those servers would be down for maintenance for the next day or so.]

Hello, friends and readers.

As you have likely noticed if you have any interest in Achewood, output has been next to nil for the last several months, and was slowing down before that. Here, let me explain. Have a seat wherever you like.

You see, whenever I sat down to write over the last year or so, I had a growing, nagging feeling that, after nine years, 1,700 strips, 1,000 character blog entries spanning twelve characters, thirty books, 700 subscriber pieces, the New Yorker pieces, tours, hundreds of interviews, terabytes of vitriolic hate mail (incoming), running a merchandise mini-empire, and just generally feeling under the gun to dance for the public, I was getting a little burned out.

Whenever I cracked my knuckles and attempted to start a fresh strip with an idea that had popped into my head that day, I’d get halfway through it and realize I’d already done that particular gag, say, six years ago. Frustrating. Had I run through everything that my finite brain knew to talk about? Couldn’t be...I’d boasted in earlier times that a good writer could write his way out of anything. What a cocksure young man I was. Maybe it’s time to recharge.

Another nagging idea which slowly grew from a whorl in the tub to a Pacific gyre was that, as I wrote piece after piece, it seemed like I was just imitating myself, if that makes any sense. I had always prided myself on not being formulaic (say, Monday jokes and lasagna jokes), so this presented a grave problem. I have always wanted Achewood to be something that didn’t exist before, including earlier versions of itself.

Like a sparrow birthing a clenched human fist, Achewood must be reborn in strange ways over time to achieve this ideal. This may mean the occasional hiatus, or span of dark strips that do not make you laugh. This may mean a week of heavily-Photoshopped scans of pencil sharpeners, or simply stenciling a “bobby” on my garage door in a cheap imitation of Banksy.

I know it’s irritating that I can keep no regular schedule; that’s what RSS is for. Also, whatever I put up on Achewood.com is free to the world, and I won’t entertain a bunch of entitled whining. Here’s a great essay by the wonderful Neil Gaiman on that subject. This essay is a gift to writers and artists everywhere.

I take inspiration for Achewood’s future from the great P.G. Wodehouse, who wrote with furious zip and consistent institutional tone literally until the day he died—aged 93, in an armchair, pipe in hand—next to a fresh manuscript. He wrote Jeeves and Wooster for longer than I’ve been alive, so that gives me some hope that I can drop back into the feeling of Roast Beef and Ray’s dynamic, or the sordid stories of the rest of the cast. I do love them; though I am a different man now than the kid I was when I invented them, perhaps they can “grow in the telling.”

I can enumerate a few more of the concerns I’ve had. If you’d like to skip to the end, though, and look at the picture I commissioned of the OH poo poo kitten finally falling from the branch, please hit the “End” key on your extended keyboard. But please, clear any children from the room first.

One thing that’s always made me a bit sad is how Internet presentation seems to devalue content. So much art, writing, and news is suddenly available to us that each piece seems nearly a throwaway, lost in the gullet of our now-insatiable appetite for information. Here in the future, everyone is famous for 15kb. Fifteen reTweets. Fifteen LOLs. Should I work fifteen hours on something that will take fifteen seconds to read? The answer is yes, of course, because I love what I do, but after nearly a decade one wonders if one couldn’t do more for people with that time. Create greater and lengthier entertainment. I’d like to focus more on prose; despite the heavy foot I seem to have planted in the comics world, perhaps I can balance both by shifting the weight a bit. Some might count themselves kings of infinite space when bounded in the nutshell of six panels, but personally I’m finding it a bit cramped.

I’m also trying to gently withdraw from life as a semi-public figure, impossible as that sounds given my medium. I just don’t feel suited to it. It’s very bad for your head (well, my head, anyway) to be intensely praised and intensely hated by a decade’s worth of strangers. I loved meeting the thousands of kind readers on my tours, but the stress of the constant travel, constant demand, and unstanchable 24-hour communications have me longing for a wingback chair, a quiet inbox, and perhaps a calming agent in some cut crystal. That said, you can follow me on Twitter!

In sum, I think Achewood will be back sooner than later. As will other projects, and the sun, and my solo album with Greg Lake (he’s on vocals and guitar). I’ve needed time to reflect on what all this is, but it’s been a good long time, hasn’t it? I still love the work when I look back over it, and don’t want to take it off the ventilator. Cross your fingers, do that RSS thing, and I hope to see you again before too long.

Thank you,
Chris Onstad

PS: Subscriber content will continue to be updated. To try and keep my brain active I’ve been writing chapbooks, nearly 400 pages’ worth. I think that if you like the Achewood mentality and approach to things, you’ll enjoy these. They’re available here, and the first one is free to all. A new one will be posted in a few days’ time. There will also be my Achewood experiments, writings, and attempts at progress. If you’ve never been in the Fanflow, for $2.99 you get access to about three years’ worth of content you’ve never seen before. [As luck would have it, the Fanflow servers are down during the next day or so for maintenance—please check back!]

EDIT: Well that will teach me to refresh before posting

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

csammis posted:

http://www.achewood.com/rss.php

There's a tiny itty bitty link down on the bottom of the page for it.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
An interview with Onstad himself is now up over on Comics Alliance.

quote:

CA: Not too long ago you opened up the Tip Jar, something you rarely push. Did the lack of financial support impact your decision to go on hiatus?

CO: We've had decent financial support from that, actually. It can't last forever if you go on hiatus, of course. I hate putting the panhandle out, but in these straitened times, our hand was forced. I justify it by thinking of the massive archive of work that we offer for free. I think there are nearly 1,700 free strips to read, as well as all 12 blogs, which number over 1,000 entries.

I suppose that makes a kind of sense.

Also:

quote:

To comic fans, this is the equivalent of hearing, like we so sorrowfully did earlier this year, that The White Stripes are no longer making music.

This strikes me as a flawed analogy but maybe I just didn't like the White Stripes enough?

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 21, 2011

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
FUUUUUUUUUUUCK the White Stripes ended? :smith:

*edit* Ok their reasons are really respectable, but still. I came into this thread for a mild downer and got a major one.

*edit2*

Locus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 21, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
With Chris putting Achewood on hold and Pratchett soon retiring from writing due to his Alzheimers I'm not going to have anything witty as gently caress left to read no more.

Nice of him to finally tell us though, I wish The Simpsons faded into a possible long term hiatius like it has done.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think his entire argument is moot anyways since he takes "donations". As soon as you start earning money for something, money coming out of other peoples pockets, then you should make an effort to get things done and earn that money. I guess he feels his chapbooks are worth the "donations", but if scribbling around in book is worth money, then anyone could get on the web and upload their pointless doodles and get paid for them.

You're not paying for future work, you're tipping for work done. When I tip a waiter I'm not expecting free work next time I come to the store.

If you're referencing the fanflow, you're paying for access to view content you cannot view otherwise. Even if he never adds anything ever again to it, it's still content you can't get otherwise. You're paying for access. This is not a new idea in the least.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

With Chris putting Achewood on hold and Pratchett soon retiring from writing due to his Alzheimers I'm not going to have anything witty as gently caress left to read no more.

Nice of him to finally tell us though, I wish The Simpsons faded into a possible long term hiatius like it has done.

Yes you do, the author's name is Christopher Moore. He's not as amazing as Terry Pratchett, but anyone who likes Onstad/Pratchett would probably enjoy Moore's work.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Huh. Well, that's too bad, but at least it's more or less official now.

Wonder who I bitch to about getting my $12.95 back for Cookbook II?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

welp.

I was checking to see if there was going to be any signing thing at the Dark Horse booth at Wondercon again this year (missed out one 2 years ago cause a stupid panel was going on that was not entertaining AT ALL).

Guess not.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

poo poo.

I look forward to whatever Onstad has in the works but god drat it he should have leveled with us sooner. I was genuinely concerned for his health.

edit; Oh, and I'm also a little peeved that the last arc never really wrapped up. ONSTAD, DID TEODOR COLD HAVE A PETER IN HIS MOUTH OR NOT? Leaving a plot thread like that hanging is bad form. Call it "entitled whining" if you must, but that's a hell of a thread to never follow up on.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 22, 2011

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've always thought that Achewood had a format that would be really hard to keep up- most comics that do have something larger than a three or four panel format do have huge lag time, especially the ones that don't re-use art. The most consistent ones do have a smaller format. If it takes four hours to do a four-panel strip then maybe that's more manageable than fifteen or sixteen hours. It comes down to comfort level, I guess. Could you split something like this into a week-long series of strips? Even artistically, is it possible to do so and retain the overall narrative?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Happy Hippo posted:

ONSTAD, DID TEODOR COLD HAVE A PETER IN HIS MOUTH OR NOT?

He did whatever it was that he had to do, but also what he wanted to do. So there you go :)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did Pat ever say good things about Ray's dick? GODDAMN IT ONSTAD DON'T LEAVE ME HANGIN'

Hey waitaminute that's two unresolved plot threads about dicks

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Schroedinger's Rad Chiles

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

ONSTAD, DID TEODOR COLD HAVE A PETER IN HIS MOUTH OR NOT?

While it was a little annoying that he never presented the last little chunk of story that arc had, I don't think this question was ever going to be answered explicitly.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sprecherscrow posted:

While it was a little annoying that he never presented the last little chunk of story that arc had, I don't think this question was ever going to be answered explicitly.

Teodor's sexual orientation gets questioned a few times, so i wasn't expecting an explicit answer to what happened inside the van, either (which is fine), but an end to the arc would have been much appreciated, especially since it took like a year to get as far as it did. oh, and it's also kind of a crappy way to "end" the strip, but i probably didn't need to point that out.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

funkybottoms posted:

Teodor's sexual orientation gets questioned a few times, so i wasn't expecting an explicit answer to what happened inside the van, either (which is fine), but an end to the arc would have been much appreciated, especially since it took like a year to get as far as it did. oh, and it's also kind of a crappy way to "end" the strip, but i probably didn't need to point that out.

Personally, I kind of feel like Onstad went from dropping the occasional tidbit about Teodor's sexuality to basically hitting us in the face with a hammer. The "Honest Man Comix" strip was particularly insistent upon it, especially after our last glimpse of Teodor in the Van of Good and Evil. You can only pull so much out of the closet before it's finally empty and you're just left with a room full of tacky junk.

The arc deserved a real end, but that end could easily have been the "HIGH SCHOOL IS OVER!" bit instead of trying to tack on something between Ray and David Lynch. After the sixteen thousand hints in the strip over the years, I think we can assume that some Full Amazement occurred in the back of that van.

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
Cut it out you two don't you know there's a war on!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a not-war, just like the last two.

It's also probably a good time to reread the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I would be perfectly sympathetic to Onstad if he had not shilled for donations at the end of that message, gently caress him.