Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Midjack posted:

Well, that and our stuff doesn't really exist so arguments about "authenticity" of markings and paint jobs pretty much never happen.

We're definitely cut from the same cloth.

HKR posted:

I'm going to post an abbreviation of what I posted in the wargaming thread a couple years back.

gently caress Testors.

Testors is without a doubt the worst scale modeling supplies companies out there. Their paints are horrid and over priced, their tools are weak and over priced, and their kits are boring ugly hunks of plastic.

What makes them especially horrid is the fact that they are the only modeling company represented in department stores. A good number of kid's first scale model experience will be with testors, and the experience will turn them off of the hobby for a long time.

Enamel paints are not what a beginner should be starting with, but many stores only stock their enamel paints. Unless an experienced hand is there to guide, many kits are invariably ruined when improperly handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Confirming that Testors is poo poo. I can still remember how amazed I was the first time I unboxed an Hasegawa kit. I had no idea such detail was even possible, and it's worth every penny.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Managed to get some time to do the next couple of steps on the Panzer. Its starting to come together a bit more now I think. With any luck I might get a bit more time tonight to do some work on it. The end is nearing in sight.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

The internet agrees with you. I have to try this out now.

I would definitely recommend preshading. It was easy and really gives the finished paint job a more dynamic look.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I made a small trench diorama to stick a few figures into. I had better pictures, but most of them vanished to a filesystem error. All I could salvage were these two. Also the lighting in these pictures turned out really weird, the color of the sandbags is a lot yellower, and that PPS isn't anywhere as shiny.

The figures are a mix of a whole bunch of different sets. Two Zvezda ones, two Tamiya ones and a Dragon.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Posting this question from the 40K thread here for Tuxedo Jack:

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So me and a few friends are getting into Dystopian Wars. Just ordered my Federated States Battlegroup today. (We drew straws, basically... As in, one dude called Prussians and the rest of us were like "DAMMIT.")

Anyway, does anyone have a resource for decals of WWIIish American icons? I'm not sure what scale would be appropriate, as the game is supposedly scaled in 1/1200. Obviously I'm just looking for a few stars and bars to pretty up my runway and larger flat areas with.

I found these, but am not sold on the scale, as I can't picture it in my head (Outside of 40k, I'm a scale modeling novice).

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=EP72086

Thoughts?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Flames of War US Decals?

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/board-games/flames-of-war-miniatures-american-decals-us941

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you have some spare time, check out these photos of the 2011 Nuremburg toy fair. All the big model companies were there showing off their products for the coming year.

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Nuernberg2011/Nuernberg2011.html

The links to the image galleries are just under where it says "Die Bildbeiträge von Andreas, Jean-Luc, Volker und mir könnt ihr hier anschauen:"

And if you scroll down a bit more theres a big list of all the different items that were on display, categorized by genre.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

These are fantastic, thanks!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jumpingmanjim posted:

If you have some spare time, check out these photos of the 2011 Nuremburg toy fair. All the big model companies were there showing off their products for the coming year.

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Nuernberg2011/Nuernberg2011.html

Things I've learned browsing this:

1. Italeri is making a Short Sunderland
2. Hasegawa is making more of that Maschinen Krieger stuff
3. If you really love German Tanks, Hobby Boss now makes tanks from the E-series, which never really existed.

It's awesome, but where would you put it?

Digital Camo through decals:

German love gone possibly too far: a model V-3.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 7, 2011

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
None of your images work.

Some of the kits in there are pretty interesting. Definitely looking forward to E-series ones.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

None of your images work.

Some of the kits in there are pretty interesting. Definitely looking forward to E-series ones.

I noticed that this morning too. Must be a problem at waffleimages, they are working again.

Also there is a part of me that is actually quite happy that getting even experimental Nazi tanks is affordable. I know Dragon has had an E-100 out for some time that looks great, not to mention the Maus...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also there is a part of me that is actually quite happy that getting even experimental Nazi tanks is affordable. I know Dragon has had an E-100 out for some time that looks great, not to mention the Maus...

Trumpeter has an E-25, E-50, E-75 and E-100

Also that german railgun is the 1/72 version. Another company made a 1/35 version, jesus it's big.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 8, 2011

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Even though I still have the Panzer IV to finish I couldn't help but start this bad boy. Its a Tamiya Soviet ISU-152 and is a total beast. I purchased a separate turned metal barrel for it and its re-assuringly hefty.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
That is one nice looking barrel.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

That is one nice looking barrel.

Hey thanks! :gay:

Anyways here are some latest shots:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Nice tank! I thought I'd share one of my own that I did recently.

It's a really old Tamiya kit, but it's not as bad as reviews make it out to be. The only thing I don't like about it are the rubber band tracks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is that a Panzer 38(t)?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Panzer II Ausf F or G, I forget which one. This kit.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 24, 2011

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

Nice tank! I thought I'd share one of my own that I did recently.

It's a really old Tamiya kit, but it's not as bad as reviews make it out to be. The only thing I don't like about it are the rubber band tracks.

Excellent I did the Tamiya Panzer II Ausf: A/B/C kit a while back.

It was a really nice build Tamiya really do lead the way in that regard, rubber tracks be-damned.

Some pictures:

and to scale with a late war tank to show the size progression:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

big_g posted:

and to scale with a late war tank to show the size progression:

And hell, that's a Tiger I. Tiger IIs/Jagdtigers were even larger. Sometime in February I saw for the first time an armour kit that I wanted to build. In researching it I learned a ton about tanks in WW2. In fact, I got to use that knowledge; because I have no one to geek out to around here I've been writing emails about 'kits I'd like to build someday' to my fellow nerd friends.

TL;DR: My decent continues

Caution: sperg ahead. Wrote a letter to a friend with the accompanying pictures. Behold the Mi-24:

It was first designed as a flying Armoured personnel carrier, on the basis of American experiences in Vietnam. It supposed to carry 8 troops, in the same way tents are described as '3 person'. The compartment is 4ft high by 5ft wide and 8ft long, so it's about the same size as an aluminum shed. Unlike an aluminum shed, it was impervious to bullets up to .50 cal/12.7mm, which is really big. The twin bubble canopy has the pilot in back and the gunner in front. Armourment includes a little turret with a chain gun, unguided rockets (the metal cones house a bunch of small explosive rockets), and anti-armour missiles. (That'd be the small round tubes on the end of the winglets.) It's also pretty low tech; you can't make it out, but the instrument panel had a white square in the upper right corner. I painted this green first, as I thought it was some sort of electronic display, but I looked up pics of real hinds on the internet, and I discovered that it's a transparent plastic square for pilots to put their map under. The Soviets build lots of these things, and exported them to all of their client states, so there's quite a few of them still in use, even if it's obsolete by modern standards. In fact, the ones in Libya may be getting blown up by NATO fighter jets even as I write this.

The model was a cheap one I bought on the spur of the moment. The blue/camouflage scheme is an example of something called countershading, which is when something has a light bottom and a dark top. Canada Geese and Penguins have this same sort of camo; it has something to do with cancelling out a creature's normal shadows, so it's hard to tell direction. The upper camo is my own creation; I freehanded it with the airbrush, because I found the real camo schemes a little dull. I picked the greens because I wanted something like a Canadian Siberia camo scheme. The markings are of the Polish air force, who I presume are flying out of Marathon, trying to help their NATO ally beat back a goblin invasion or something.

PS> Boring building notes: This model was cheap, as I said, (from the 'american' revell) and you can really tell. I got metric tons of practice erasing lines and filling gaps with putty. Weirdly, it was much harder to assemble then previous models because it was much more poorly made. The upper part above the cockpit with the engine intakes was particularly bad and looked hideous out of the box. The winglets, too, broke many times during assembly. Main problem was that lots of fittings had no way to attach aside from glue. It really affects the strength and accuracy of parts negatively; all the good kit makers never do this. Also the cockpits are nicely painted and detailed, but thanks to the curvature of the plastic it's hard to make out those (laboriously added) details. ALso as I took the pictures I noticed one of the very hard to set landing gear struts is on a bad angle. I'll have to fix that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with this Cruiser model? I'm sure it's probably crap, but it's the ship my grandpa served on, and it was $13 bucks (another one of the EXACT SAME model was labelled as $20 - don't ever change, hobby store run by doddering old men). I'm just wondering if anyone who's suffered through it has any tips.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this Cruiser model? I'm sure it's probably crap, but it's the ship my grandpa served on, and it was $13 bucks (another one of the EXACT SAME model was labelled as $20 - don't ever change, hobby store run by doddering old men). I'm just wondering if anyone who's suffered through it has any tips.

It's a reissue of a model they made in the 50s (or 60's), so it's not gunna be as good as kits made in last few years. The reason why is it such a strange scale is because they made it to fit a standard box size, not to be consistent with a standard scale like 1:350.

It might be helpful to look athe instructions pdf in your link, that will give you an idea about how detailed it is.

The revell one is the only one made by a major model company. There is also a 1:700 scale and 1:350 scale made in resin.
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cl/cl-50/350-cw/review.html
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cl/cl-50/700-ms/midship-review.html

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's a reissue of a model they made in the 50s (or 60's), so it's not gunna be as good as kits made in last few years. The reason why is it such a strange scale is because they made it to fit a standard box size, not to be consistent with a standard scale like 1:350.

It might be helpful to look athe instructions pdf in your link, that will give you an idea about how detailed it is.

The revell one is the only one made by a major model company. There is also a 1:700 scale and 1:350 scale made in resin.
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cl/cl-50/350-cw/review.html
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cl/cl-50/700-ms/midship-review.html

Yeah, I opened it as soon as i got it home to make sure it was the right one -- the previous Helena (CL-50, which your linked kits are based on - but thanks for them, since I'm leaning towards doing mainly ship models) sank in 1943, the next (CL-113), got cancelled, and my grandpa served on CA-75 (which the Revell kit is based on).

I also picked up a pretty cool 1:700 Typhoon Ballistic Missile sub that I am sorely tempted to turn into Red October.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cthulu Carl posted:

I also picked up a pretty cool 1:700 Typhoon Ballistic Missile sub that I am sorely tempted to turn into Red October.

I had that when I was a kid. I'm not sure what you mean 'turn into' the Red October, the October was just a Typhoon class.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

I had that when I was a kid. I'm not sure what you mean 'turn into' the Red October, the October was just a Typhoon class.

Yeah, but the Caterpillar drives have to be represented somehow.

And a portrait of Sean Connery meticulously painted onto a grain of sand and installed on the bridge.:v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

They left off the caterpillar drives on my model. This is possibly because the entire sub was covered in acoustic-absorbing tiles. (Or they already had a Typhoon model and all they did to adapt it was remove the bow sensor.)

Actually, did we actually *see* the back of the caterpillar drive? I remember the front of it...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

They left off the caterpillar drives on my model. This is possibly because the entire sub was covered in acoustic-absorbing tiles. (Or they already had a Typhoon model and all they did to adapt it was remove the bow sensor.)

Actually, did we actually *see* the back of the caterpillar drive? I remember the front of it...

This site apparently has pics of the studio model, and it shows the back end with the drives. The back end is fairly different from what I have ( This Hobby Boss kit), so I might not worry about it.

I also found some hand-made abortion from a modeler who could barely spell in his rant about how the drives in the movie would be ineffective because the "'exhaust' doesn't go over the planes." :pseudo:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cthulu Carl posted:

This site apparently has pics of the studio model, and it shows the back end with the drives. The back end is fairly different from what I have ( This Hobby Boss kit), so I might not worry about it.

Nice. You'll have to tell the thread how you find hobby boss; they have some sweet submarines.

Also people are building some nice trucks out of metal and wood.

Satsuma
Apr 30, 2010
I don't really know if this is the right place to post this, but you guys seem like the people who would know.

My dad is a school teacher and has recently started a scale modeling club at the school. It's an after school club and most of the members are students with special needs (this is because my dad is in charge of the SEN department, and introduced the club as a way of engaging them and getting them participating in something). The kids absolutely love it, and the club is so popular that when the 'mainstream' students heard about it they started attending too. Now he's got nearly 20 kids turning up every week, and that's just the regulars.

My dad is having trouble finding kits for them, though. Many of the children are under-privileged and can't generally spend money on hobbies like this. My dad has been finding cheap kits on eBay and selling them to the kids for £3 each. The school pays for some of them, but can't fund the entire project.

Can anyone suggest a source of cheap 2nd hand kits, beside eBay? Are there any particular brands that might be worth looking for? It doesn't really matter what the kits are of - tanks, ships, planes, cars, trains, anything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Satsuma posted:

I don't really know if this is the right place to post this, but you guys seem like the people who would know.
It's exactly the right place!

What your dad needs is this to keep him going for a while longer. There are a few sites that do good cheap kits around the place randomly, so when I get home I'll find the web addresses for you and edit this post (assuming I'm awake...).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Despite being labor intensive, scanning Ebay/Kijiji/cragslist (whatever is best in your area) seems like the best bet. Some people need to liquidate some of their kit backlogs, and that's how they do it.

I'm guessing you are in the UK. Maybe one of the goons here knows a website with a good liquidation section? I'm looking in sprue brothers and it seems like they have some good deals. Dragon has a bunch of 1/144 scale kits for cheap that contain 2 kits each, so that might be the best bargain.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/aircraft-kits-172-or-smaller-c495.aspx

Maybe Hannats would help for some publicity? They seem huge.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/

Or maybe these guys.

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/model-kits.html?scale=11422

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
http://www.modelsforsale.com/

They buy in people's collections and sell them on. It's clearly marked if a box is open or not etc. I've bought from them before and been very happy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Project airfix looks great, shame it's limited to spitfires.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A fella on my local freecycle asked for model kits recently due to breaking both legs & being bed-bound. He got so many offered he became the model kit swap go-to guy (like 500 kits), might be worth asking, mention what its for, hope for a couple generous souls?

Satsuma
Apr 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

What your dad needs is this to keep him going for a while longer. There are a few sites that do good cheap kits around the place randomly, so when I get home I'll find the web addresses for you and edit this post (assuming I'm awake...).

Thanks for this! I sent the link to my dad and he's definitely going to go for it.

I suspected that trawling eBay was probably going to be our best bet. I'll ask my dad what he thinks about trying to persuade a big company to get involved and support them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No problem. It's something I've been aware of for ages and I've been really strongly wanting to make up some fake youth organisation and order a few squadron's worth at knockdown prices.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Protip: When snipping little fiddly bits from the sprue, hold the gently caress onto the little fiddly bit!

I'm working on a 1:144 scale B-25, and one of the rear landing gear doors went flying and is completely gone. I also completely hosed up the front landing gear door. Good thing I wanted the gear up... And have putty...

In other news, for anyone interested, the Hobby Boss 1:700 scale Typhoon is... Boss. I'll post some pictures once I get it done, but it's a pretty nice little kit. And dead easy - the assembly directions are printed on the back of the box (an area about the size of a large envelope). The pieces all fit together nicely, outside of some clamping needed for the hull halves. Not bad for $8.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Protip: When snipping little fiddly bits from the sprue, hold the gently caress onto the little fiddly bit!

I'm working on a 1:144 scale B-25, and one of the rear landing gear doors went flying and is completely gone. I also completely hosed up the front landing gear door. Good thing I wanted the gear up... And have putty...

I read in a magazine that you should cut small fiddly bits inside a resealable bag. Bit awkward but beats crawling around on the floor looking for missing bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, there's a 1:72 scale Besa machine gun from a HaT Cromwell *somewhere* in my bedroom at the moment thanks to a tweezers mishap....