Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Picking up my 3 packages on Saturday. Very excited!

Any tips on riding home with them? I don't expect any kinds of trouble, but I don't know if things like an open window or them being in the backseat vs. trunk is good or bad for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

ShotgunWillie posted:

You got it. Bees make good pets. They clean, feed and water themselves for the most part with some help in the early spring and late fall. Your job is mainly to check in on them once every week or two, check for signs of disease, give them more room so they don't swarm and give them food if there is a dearth.

It can be a really relaxing hobby, and it takes a hell of a lot time than say, a dog.

Hmm, cool, thanks. Are there "emergencies" that could arise that would result in my parents calling me up screaming "GET OVER HERE BEE poo poo JUST GOT REAL"?

Also, is a beekeeping course worthwhile? There's a place nearby that does one, but it costs $250 for two days classroom instruction, then 3 "field sessions" (Edit: Oh, they also provide free seminars about winterizing and starting up in the springtime for people who take that course). Would that money be better spent on some books and equipment to learn ourselves?

Lemons fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 29, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Picking up my 3 packages on Saturday. Very excited!

Any tips on riding home with them? I don't expect any kinds of trouble, but I don't know if things like an open window or them being in the backseat vs. trunk is good or bad for them.

If your trunk is enclosed and it's warm out, I'd put the bees in the back seat instead. They need adequate ventilation. Depends on how long your drive is but they should be pretty chillaxed. A few might be on the outside of the package and they might buzz around a bit but they'll be OK. I would not like drive down the freeway with the windows wide open but it'll be OK to leave them down a bit unless it's freezing out.

Lemons posted:

Hmm, cool, thanks. Are there "emergencies" that could arise that would result in my parents calling me up screaming "GET OVER HERE BEE poo poo JUST GOT REAL"?

Unlikely. The only thing I can think of is if they swarm, in which case if you want to catch the swarm you need to get over there, but odds are they either won't swarm, or they'll do it when nobody is looking and just be gone.

quote:

Also, is a beekeeping course worthwhile? There's a place nearby that does one, but it costs $250 for two days classroom instruction, then 3 "field sessions" (Edit: Oh, they also provide free seminars about winterizing and starting up in the springtime for people who take that course). Would that money be better spent on some books and equipment to learn ourselves?

My wife and I did an introductory class that was really cheap ($30 I think?) and, combined with a couple books, some videos on youtube, and this thread, was sufficient. I'm sure that class is good though, but if there's two of you I could see $500 being a really big and unnecessary expense. An entire hive set up, plus equipment for two people, should be under $500, so that one class would be doubling your expense.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So I am finishing putting wax in the brood box frames and am running into what appears to be a problem. Some of the foundation now doesn't appear to fit quite right and is bulging a considerable amount to one side of the frame. The frames are square, it just seems that the foundation is a half cm or so too long, and I can't trim it because of the wires in the wax. Is this a problem I need to worry about or will it not matter to the bees and they will do whatever they need to? Its very bizarre, and I bought the foundation and frames from the same place so you think they would know if its supposed to fit or not.

edit: It seems to be from using posts rather than wiring frames. I picked up enough posts to do 20 frames to try them out and, well, they suck. Not only do they take longer to put in then wiring frames but they cause this bulging which can't be good. Glad I have some extra frames, will have to undo the furring strip and wire the few posted frames I did.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 30, 2011

Weitz
Jun 16, 2008
Shotgun!

I'm moving to Brooklyn this Fall for graduate school (in Entomology no less! Parasitic wasps!) and I would love, love, love to keep a beehive and a rooftop garden with things bees love.

How the hell do I find that kind of situation? I've seen a few ads on craigslist toting roof decks (and gardening potential), but even though they're legal now, I'm worried about landlords just sort of staring at me like I'm a crazy person.

Any advice? I've seen the NYC beekeepers club page so some of these folks must be managing.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
When I moved to a different place in Philadelphia this past November I tried to find a place that I could keep bees at and still afford the rent but had no luck. Places that had the right requirements were very rare and usually far more than I wanted to spend on rent. I was not worried about the landlord, I don't think you really need to tell them you want to keep bees (though thats your call). The bigger issue for me was both somewhere to put the bees and neighbors. The place I did get was has a quasi deck on the 2nd floor that only I have access to, but I decided against putting bees on it because there are about 10 houses within ~75 feet of the place and I didn't want to chance even one of them raising a stink. I also decided that putting bees in a place I am renting is risky because if I decide to move in a year for whatever reason and I have bees then I have no choice but to find another place that is suitable for bees.

You also need to check the laws in Brooklyn, can you keep beehives there legally? I am pretty sure it is not (or at least not until recently) to keep bees in New York City, people just do it anyway.

What may work for you is what I ended up doing; talking to community gardens to find one that is looking for someone to keep bees in one of their plots. I also know people that use urban cemeteries, and old factory buildings. One guy has had a lot of luck keeping bees on the roof of an old abandoned Tasty Cake factory.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

nesbit37 posted:

So I am finishing putting wax in the brood box frames and am running into what appears to be a problem. Some of the foundation now doesn't appear to fit quite right and is bulging a considerable amount to one side of the frame. The frames are square, it just seems that the foundation is a half cm or so too long, and I can't trim it because of the wires in the wax. Is this a problem I need to worry about or will it not matter to the bees and they will do whatever they need to? Its very bizarre, and I bought the foundation and frames from the same place so you think they would know if its supposed to fit or not.

edit: It seems to be from using posts rather than wiring frames. I picked up enough posts to do 20 frames to try them out and, well, they suck. Not only do they take longer to put in then wiring frames but they cause this bulging which can't be good. Glad I have some extra frames, will have to undo the furring strip and wire the few posted frames I did.

Lemme guess: slotted or solid bottom bar and hook end wired foundation? I'm always surprised at how common this problem is. Frames with solid slotted bottom bars tend to have slightly less room for foundation because they have to increase the thickness of the bottom bar without increasing the overall size of the frame.

The bowing is a problem and will make your bees build their comb just as bowed as the foundation. If wiring fixes it, then good, but make sure that you're not just putting all the tension/bowing on to the last section of foundation under the lowest wire. You might consider using wire cutters to snip the wires and shorten the foundation a bit. You can recycle the bits as starter strips for if you ever decide to go foundationless.

Weitz posted:

'm moving to Brooklyn this Fall for graduate school (in Entomology no less! Parasitic wasps!) and I would love, love, love to keep a beehive and a rooftop garden with things bees love.

How the hell do I find that kind of situation? I've seen a few ads on craigslist toting roof decks (and gardening potential), but even though they're legal now, I'm worried about landlords just sort of staring at me like I'm a crazy person.

Any advice? I've seen the NYC beekeepers club page so some of these folks must be managing.

nesbit37 posted:

You also need to check the laws in Brooklyn, can you keep beehives there legally? I am pretty sure it is not (or at least not until recently) to keep bees in New York City, people just do it anyway.

What may work for you is what I ended up doing; talking to community gardens to find one that is looking for someone to keep bees in one of their plots. I also know people that use urban cemeteries, and old factory buildings. One guy has had a lot of luck keeping bees on the roof of an old abandoned Tasty Cake factory.

It's completely legal to keep bees ANYWHERE in NYC, and it's great. There are a few requirements, of course. You must use useable frame hives (duh), keep domesticated bees (duh), maintain the hives (duh), and provide a constant source of fresh water for every hive site.

I generally don't recommend keeping bees at your place if you rent. You'd have to inform your landlord about them or risk your lease, and most landlords aren't comfortable with it. On top of that, moving bees in the city is a royal loving pain.

Have you ever tried carrying a full hive (Deeps!) up 4 flights of steep NYC stairs?

I have.

You don't want to.

Like nesbit mentioned, people in the city get creative. I keep bees on the roof of an orthodox synagogue, a restaurant, and at a large urban farm. I know people who keep bees on decommissioned nunneries in the Bronx!

I do know people who have them in the backyard of their rental, but they have landlords who are very interested in urban homesteading, which adds some stability to the situation.

Edit: Weitz, I didn't even know they HAD an entomology program in the city. Where are you going. Drop me a line when you're in the city and I'll introduce you to some people. (Bees.)

ShotgunWillie fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 30, 2011

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

ShotgunWillie posted:

Lemme guess: slotted or solid bottom bar and hook end wired foundation? I'm always surprised at how common this problem is. Frames with solid slotted bottom bars tend to have slightly less room for foundation because they have to increase the thickness of the bottom bar without increasing the overall size of the frame.

The bowing is a problem and will make your bees build their comb just as bowed as the foundation. If wiring fixes it, then good, but make sure that you're not just putting all the tension/bowing on to the last section of foundation under the lowest wire. You might consider using wire cutters to snip the wires and shorten the foundation a bit. You can recycle the bits as starter strips for if you ever decide to go foundationless.

Thats exactly it, slotted bottom bar with hook foundation. I tried cutting one of the foundation pieces last night but the foundation itself just didn't being cut before I even got to the wire. If I go that route I may try a hot knife something till the wire is clear, but at least so far the pieces that I have used wires on rather than pegs have worked fine and it doesn't appear to add any tension on the lowest wire.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

nesbit37 posted:

Thats exactly it, slotted bottom bar with hook foundation. I tried cutting one of the foundation pieces last night but the foundation itself just didn't being cut before I even got to the wire. If I go that route I may try a hot knife something till the wire is clear, but at least so far the pieces that I have used wires on rather than pegs have worked fine and it doesn't appear to add any tension on the lowest wire.

Like you said, no-one seems to have caught on to the fact that 8 1/2 inch foundation doesn't fit in solid barred frames where the depth is only 8 3/8s of an inch. If you already have the frames or just like that particular style, Walter T. Kelley sells deep wired foundation cut specifically to fit solid and grooved bottom bar frames, catalog numbers 122WH (8 3/8") and 121 (8 1/8") respectively.

I don't think I've wired a frame in the last decade or so. It's a lost art. Do you crimp? Use an electrical embedder or a spur tool?

AFK SWARM OF BEES
Jun 24, 2008

You are swearing now that someday you'll destroy me. Remember: far better women than you have sworn the same. Go and look for them now.
Participating in a hive inspection next Saturday. My girls aren't scheduled to get here until the last week of April (though something tells me I might get a phone call before that, knowing how unpredictable everything has been lately) so I figured I'd get some experience on opening the hive, checking the health of the bees, and other important things to notice. I'll be going with a much more experienced beekeeper, so I'm looking forward to it. Nothing like learning from experience! :)

A question about hive placement: we're planning on sticking the hive in our backyard by a shady fig tree. However, we have some invasive English Ivy growing around that area, and some friends of ours advised us to cut it way, way back or risk it growing over the hive or possibly destroying the hive.

Does anyone else have any problems/experience with invasive vines/plants around hives? From what I've noticed over the past year, it doesn't really grow that fast and it tends to avoid the area around the fig tree. We plan on pouring down some gravel over the location and setting the hive down on cinderblocks in the gravel, and we also don't plan on using any chemicals to kill the ivy.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

ShotgunWillie posted:

Like you said, no-one seems to have caught on to the fact that 8 1/2 inch foundation doesn't fit in solid barred frames where the depth is only 8 3/8s of an inch. If you already have the frames or just like that particular style, Walter T. Kelley sells deep wired foundation cut specifically to fit solid and grooved bottom bar frames, catalog numbers 122WH (8 3/8") and 121 (8 1/8") respectively.

I don't think I've wired a frame in the last decade or so. It's a lost art. Do you crimp? Use an electrical embedder or a spur tool?

Thanks for the info.

I don't crimp, and I use a spur tool. Its pretty relaxing while watching tv. Can do a medium frame in under minute when I rush. Deeps take twice as long since you need two nails.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks for the info.

I don't crimp, and I use a spur tool. Its pretty relaxing while watching tv. Can do a medium frame in under minute when I rush. Deeps take twice as long since you need two nails.

Do a write up.

Seriously, not enough people know how to wire frames to do a good job of it.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

AFK SWARM OF BEES posted:

Participating in a hive inspection next Saturday. My girls aren't scheduled to get here until the last week of April (though something tells me I might get a phone call before that, knowing how unpredictable everything has been lately) so I figured I'd get some experience on opening the hive, checking the health of the bees, and other important things to notice. I'll be going with a much more experienced beekeeper, so I'm looking forward to it. Nothing like learning from experience! :)

A question about hive placement: we're planning on sticking the hive in our backyard by a shady fig tree. However, we have some invasive English Ivy growing around that area, and some friends of ours advised us to cut it way, way back or risk it growing over the hive or possibly destroying the hive.

Does anyone else have any problems/experience with invasive vines/plants around hives? From what I've noticed over the past year, it doesn't really grow that fast and it tends to avoid the area around the fig tree. We plan on pouring down some gravel over the location and setting the hive down on cinderblocks in the gravel, and we also don't plan on using any chemicals to kill the ivy.

You're gonna have fun. Bees are extra friendly in the spring and it's remarkably satisfying to see them fly back and forth carrying massive loads of pollen. Beekeepers are the best people to learn about beekeeping from!

When I started out, I read a bunch of books and did a lot of research, but nothing was as helpful as getting real hands on experience with someone who actually knew what they were doing.

Don't worry too much about the Ivy, just cut it back every time it gets too close to the hive. I'm assuming that since you have a fig tree you live in a warm locale, so the shade will be useful. Make sure you place the hive so that they get sun in the morning and shelter from the hottest sun in the afternoon.

Weitz
Jun 16, 2008

quote:

Edit: Weitz, I didn't even know they HAD an entomology program in the city. Where are you going. Drop me a line when you're in the city and I'll introduce you to some people. (Bees.)

Welp, I'll be a phd at the Museum of Natural History (they've just started their own phd program, but they've maintained fellowships with CUNY, NYU, Columbia, and Cornell for hundreds of years and lots of students have passed through) whose research focus is entomology and fossil insects. There *is* a curatorial department of entomology with collections, just as there are curatorial departments of vertebrate paleo, ornithology, botany, etc, etc. "Behind the scenes" of the museum is wild.

What's it like to keep a beehive on top of an orthodox synagogue? I've been wanting to do educational outreach with the orthodox community (namely orthodox girls) and beekeeping and urban gardening seem an awesome way to do it.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Weitz posted:

Welp, I'll be a phd at the Museum of Natural History (they've just started their own phd program, but they've maintained fellowships with CUNY, NYU, Columbia, and Cornell for hundreds of years and lots of students have passed through) whose research focus is entomology and fossil insects. There *is* a curatorial department of entomology with collections, just as there are curatorial departments of vertebrate paleo, ornithology, botany, etc, etc. "Behind the scenes" of the museum is wild.

What's it like to keep a beehive on top of an orthodox synagogue? I've been wanting to do educational outreach with the orthodox community (namely orthodox girls) and beekeeping and urban gardening seem an awesome way to do it.

That's pretty loving cool. I have a membership to that Museum and it's totally worth the trouble of getting to.

Feel free to bring me along to see "behind the scenes". I'd love to see some sweet fossil bees to write up for my blog.

I work those bees with my neighbor who is both Orthodox and Jewish. They're starting to lean Hasidic (according to my neighbor), if that is of concern, but they seem like nice folks. The rabbi seems to be quite pleased to have bees on the roof and apparently honey is used in some religious ceremonies.

*factoid* Many rabbis consider honey kosher. While it is partially ingested by the bees, raw nectar is stored in the honey stomach or crop, and so is not considered 'unclean'.

Weitz
Jun 16, 2008
Actually, Honey is a huge part of Rosh Hashonnah, the new year! Apples dipped in honey for a sweet new friggin' year.
Yea, rocking my secular Jewish upbringing.

Maybe I shall meet your bee-friendly orthodox :D

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Bee day! yesterday I picked up 3 packages of bees and installed them. It was crazy busy at the pickup place. I wasn't expecting the mass of people there all to get bees. There were at least 200 there when I got there, and I arrived in the last 30 minutes that they had bees. The crew that came up from Georgia with the bees seemed to be having fun though, and they didn't seem too tired despite being up for more than a day straight. Here are some photos my girlfriend and I took of installation.

36,000 bees in my backseat!

Bees in a package. A few loose ones cling to the side, probably been there since Georgia.

The hives pre-bee installation.

A shot of the community garden the bee-yard is in from the vantage of the hives.

Packages on hives

More gratuitous bee shots

Getting the hives ready for bee dumping.

More prep.

Getting them nice and wet with that sweet sweet sugar syrup so fewer of them fly when I pop the top on that package.

A final shot inside the package.

The first queen cage, with live queen inside and many bees on the outside.

One little bee decided to check out a flower rather than hang out in the new hive.

How to get bees out of the box.

Going in and out of the first hive to relieve themselves from being stuck in a box and driving up from Georgia for 24 hours. There was bee poop everywhere!

This queen cage had a lot fewer bees that I needed to push off it for a clean shot.

Doing something with the second hive

Queen cage installed, frames in, just about set to put the lid back on.

Putting a gallon jug of sugar syrup on top for food.

Looking around for my hammer so I can nail the queen cage to the frame.

Freshly dumped bees just waiting for a frame to be placed on top of them before I seal it all up.

All done! Bees in their new homes. Just need to clean up now and head back. Will be going back today to pick up the package boxes. I hope the non-dumped out bees flew to the hive and didn't decide to freeze to death last night :ohdear:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -