Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Rockefeller posted:

Does anybody know some fun espionage meets space operas like asimov's Lucky Starr books?

I want to say there were some elements of espionage and information-theory in C. S. Friedman's In Conquest Born but it's been ages since I've read that one so I'm not sure. It's still a really good space opera though, at least in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Garibaldi
Feb 17, 2011

Victory for the forces
of Italian dignity.

Centipeed posted:

I recently re-watched Thank You For Smoking, and I'm hankering after stories where the protagonist is very smooth and able to convince people of anything.

I suspect people might think of James Bond, but I've already read most of the Bond books, and the others are lined up.

This is not quite a full book recommendation, but the story Notes for My Biographer by Adam Haslett is what immediately jumped to mind when I read this. His narrator is an extremely flawed, smooth-talking gentleman who is able to convince himself (if not everyone else) of almost anything. I found it to be an extremely interesting character study.

If I'm completely off the mark on what you're looking for, however, my apologies.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

marshmonkey posted:

I just finished the first two books in the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss on the recommendation of the thread and now I am jonesing for more of the same.

Should I check out more of his stuff, or is there another series that has a similar mix of a clever protagonist and a world full of "sciency" practical magic?

Brandon Sanderson likes to have clever well-defined magic systems that the protagonist always ends up figuring out as the books progress. That's the closest I can think of to what you're saying. Try Mistborn or Warbreaker

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I'm absolutely fascinated by literary portrayals of the devil, specifically around the device of Faustian pacts. In this vein, I have read and enjoyed The Master and Margarita, Faust, Doctor Faustus, and The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner. I'm lukewarm on Faust Eric, and generally not interested in parodies unless they take a particularly worthwhile angle on the premise. My interest lies in the way various authors portray 'evil' when it becomes personified and locked into a constant dynamic with a central character.

The premise can be stretched to an extent - i.e. the devil doesn't necessarily have to appear in person, so long as the central dynamic of the Faustian pact is there. I'm looking for stories in which a corrupting contract is established at some point, which the plot then goes on to either fulfil or overturn. For example, The Picture of Dorian Grey would fit, as Dorian explicitly wishes his fate upon himself, but The Monkey's Paw features no 'contract' or degradation of the characters involved, and as such is more of a cautionary tale about dabbling with unknown forces. Frankenstein doesn't fit, as Victor is already locked into his eventual decline from the beginning of the story - his amorality comes from within himself, not from an agreement with an external benefactor/malefactor.

I hope that all makes sense. Any suggestions?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

Brandon Sanderson likes to have clever well-defined magic systems that the protagonist always ends up figuring out as the books progress. That's the closest I can think of to what you're saying. Try Mistborn or Warbreaker

Thanks! I will check those out.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Kismet posted:

I'm absolutely fascinated by literary portrayals of the devil, specifically around the device of Faustian pacts. In this vein, I have read and enjoyed The Master and Margarita, Faust, Doctor Faustus, and The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner. I'm lukewarm on Faust Eric, and generally not interested in parodies unless they take a particularly worthwhile angle on the premise. My interest lies in the way various authors portray 'evil' when it becomes personified and locked into a constant dynamic with a central character.

The premise can be stretched to an extent - i.e. the devil doesn't necessarily have to appear in person, so long as the central dynamic of the Faustian pact is there. I'm looking for stories in which a corrupting contract is established at some point, which the plot then goes on to either fulfil or overturn. For example, The Picture of Dorian Grey would fit, as Dorian explicitly wishes his fate upon himself, but The Monkey's Paw features no 'contract' or degradation of the characters involved, and as such is more of a cautionary tale about dabbling with unknown forces. Frankenstein doesn't fit, as Victor is already locked into his eventual decline from the beginning of the story - his amorality comes from within himself, not from an agreement with an external benefactor/malefactor.

I very much enjoyed Michael Swanwick's Jack Faust, a great take on retelling the story. It does have some steampunk-ish flavor to it but not so much it gets in the way (and I'm not a steampunk fan per se). It maintains a pretty solid four star user review rating on Amazon.

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007
I very much enjoy the two authors Vince Flynn and David Baldacci. I have read all of the books written by those two authors now. I also enjoyed reading the whole Bourne series. I have found through searching this forum that Lee Child might be a good one to try out next, so I will give him a shot for sure.

Any suggestions similar to these two authors I might enjoy?

AnneFrankNBeans
Sep 14, 2004

My brother is hot!

Kismet posted:

Johannes Cabal The Necromancer involves a man making a contract with the devil for the return of his soul, which he lost from a previous pact. This is more a clever and darkly humorous book, but the protagonist has his own set of morals, there's the whole cheating death aspect of necromancy thrown in, and the whole story revolves around a train-driven carnival provided by the devil to Johannes, in order for him to get more people to sign over their souls. The book is fantastic, but maybe not quite what you're looking.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

foundtomorrow posted:

I very much enjoy the two authors Vince Flynn and David Baldacci. I have read all of the books written by those two authors now. I also enjoyed reading the whole Bourne series. I have found through searching this forum that Lee Child might be a good one to try out next, so I will give him a shot for sure.

Have you read any of Alex Berenson's novels? They're pretty good spy stories. I've read the first three out of five, and the first, The Faithful Spy might be my favorite spy novel, maybe tied with The Bourne Identity. The second was a little weaker but I'd still recommend all three of them. I haven't gotten around to reading the next two, but I've heard they're good as well.

As for me, I've been wanting to start reading an eighteenth-to-nineteenth century naval series--Aubrey/Maturin, Hornblower, Lord Ramage, something like that. I plan on reading at least parts of each of the three series eventually, but for now, which of these is more action-y? I've just hit my annual reading slump and I want to break out of it with something that's more "broadsides and boarding" than cerebral.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 31, 2011

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

foundtomorrow posted:

I'm a Flynn fan as well (not so much of the last crappy couple of books though). Try the early David Morrel (creator of the Rambo character and original story) novels Brotherhood of the Rose, Fraternity of the Stone, The League of Night and Fog, The Fifth Profession. Unlike the Rambo movies, Morrel's spy novels are much more realistic and not in the same 'superman' type vein of the Rambo movies so don't let that put you off. The mentioned novels also rate very strong on Amazon. You might also like Shibumi by Trevanian and the novels Chameleon and Thai Horse by William Diehl.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

IceNiner posted:

I very much enjoyed Michael Swanwick's Jack Faust, a great take on retelling the story. It does have some steampunk-ish flavor to it but not so much it gets in the way (and I'm not a steampunk fan per se). It maintains a pretty solid four star user review rating on Amazon.

Octopus posted:

Johannes Cabal The Necromancer involves a man making a contract with the devil for the return of his soul, which he lost from a previous pact. This is more a clever and darkly humorous book, but the protagonist has his own set of morals, there's the whole cheating death aspect of necromancy thrown in, and the whole story revolves around a train-driven carnival provided by the devil to Johannes, in order for him to get more people to sign over their souls. The book is fantastic, but maybe not quite what you're looking.

I'll definitely check out both of these. The second one puts me in mind of Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is another book I'm very fond of for similar reasons.

Thanks!

Miss Squid
Jul 3, 2007
I had asked earlier about survival horror books, and was recommended Dan Simmons The Terror. Just finished it and enjoyed it. Got any others?

Also looking for books about cursed books. I've read about the Necronomicon and The King in Yellow - anything else like this?

Thanks

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

marshmonkey posted:

I just finished the first two books in the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss on the recommendation of the thread and now I am jonesing for more of the same.

Should I check out more of his stuff, or is there another series that has a similar mix of a clever protagonist and a world full of "sciency" practical magic?

I came here looking for the same question. I'm still busy with the second book (not even 200 pages in, I read it about 20 minutes a day) but I love it just as much as the first book.

I need my fantasy fix when I'm finished with that book :ohdear:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Grawl posted:

I came here looking for the same question. I'm still busy with the second book (not even 200 pages in, I read it about 20 minutes a day) but I love it just as much as the first book.

I need my fantasy fix when I'm finished with that book :ohdear:

I loved the mechanics of the magic system in The Black Prism by Brent Weeks, and the story was really good and engaging. It's the first in a series, so if you aren't patient enough to start am unfinished series, keep that in mind. The wife and I both loved it.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Kismet posted:

Could you recommend where to start? I think I read somewhere on TBB a while ago that there was a certain starting point that made best sense in order to get the most of e.g. The Master and Margarita but I can't seem to find it.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

dopaMEAN posted:

NPR's Planet Money did a feature on this: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Depression-Diary-Benjamin-Roth/dp/158648799X

The interview was really good, I imagine the book would be interesting too. It's the diary of a lawyer from Ohio as the Great Depression unfolds.

I heard that as I listen to Planet Money pretty regularly. It was an excellent podcast.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

chrmnbill posted:

I recommended this one a few pages back, but it's worth mentioning again: Diary of a Very Bad Year by an anonymous hedge fund manager. It's entirely a series of interviews with the hedge fund manager from during the crisis and printed without (much) editing. It's offers a very different perspective from anything else I've read on the topic. It definitely fits the entertaining part of your request.

I'll look into it, thanks! Currently I am wading through Too Big to Fail.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I like to buy my books in advance so I need some new recommendations. The last six months have been full of dark? fantasy. Finished the following:

Empress Trilogy-Karen Miller
Shadowheart Series-Tad Williams
Night Angel Trilogy-Brent Weeks
First Law Trilogy-Joe Ambercrombie
The Black Company (currently reading almost finished)-Glenn Cook
Book of Amber (currently reading)-Zydansky something
Mistborn Trilogy (on order, in transit)-Brandon Sanderson\
2 More Joe Ambercrombie books (on order)

I need to fill up my shelves with other stuff I would like. I like to order in advance so I don't have to wait around. I like trilogies or series if you couldn't tell. Thanks in advance.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 3, 2011

AnneFrankNBeans
Sep 14, 2004

My brother is hot!

Kismet posted:

I'll definitely check out both of these. The second one puts me in mind of Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is another book I'm very fond of for similar reasons.

Thanks!

Yes! - definitely very similar with the whole dark carnival/taking souls - but again, Johannes Cabal is pretty humorous. I think I'd like to make a side request and ask if anyone has any traveling circus/carnival recommendations. I've read Water for Elephants, Geek Love, and Carter Beats the Devil, and both of the above mentioned books. Any other awesome ones out there?

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Octopus posted:

Yes! - definitely very similar with the whole dark carnival/taking souls - but again, Johannes Cabal is pretty humorous. I think I'd like to make a side request and ask if anyone has any traveling circus/carnival recommendations. I've read Water for Elephants, Geek Love, and Carter Beats the Devil, and both of the above mentioned books. Any other awesome ones out there?

Spangle by Gary Jennings is excellent (though it seems to be out of print and hard to find - your local library may have it). It follows an American Civil War-era soldier who joins a traveling circus after the war and travels across Europe with it.

AnneFrankNBeans
Sep 14, 2004

My brother is hot!

Encryptic posted:

Spangle by Gary Jennings is excellent (though it seems to be out of print and hard to find - your local library may have it). It follows an American Civil War-era soldier who joins a traveling circus after the war and travels across Europe with it.

I'm tickled to say, I was able to order it from a partner library this morning. YAY! Thanks for the recommendation.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Octopus posted:

I'm tickled to say, I was able to order it from a partner library this morning. YAY! Thanks for the recommendation.

Very nice. Hope you like it. :)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really liked "Masters of Doom" and "Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered the World." Both about how different videogame designers and companies became successful. Can anyone recommend similar books that show the same sort of "behind the scenes" look at how this industry works?

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!
Does anyone of any good postmodern takes on the fantasy genre?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Amazon Review posted:

A little more specific? Something like Magicians, or?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I just finished The Master and the Margarita and thought it was brilliant. I especially enjoyed the parts told through the eyes of Pilot. What are some other books that tell stories from the Bible in a non christian/preachy/supernatural way. I started reading The Last Tempatation of Christ years ago but never finished so I'm thinking this would be a good starting point.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

rasser posted:

Could you recommend where to start? I think I read somewhere on TBB a while ago that there was a certain starting point that made best sense in order to get the most of e.g. The Master and Margarita but I can't seem to find it.

Huh, I'm not sure. You mean where to start on a Faust-related reading list? I suppose it depends which titles you want to read. Goethe's Faust and Marlowe's Dr Faustus are both basically re-tellings of the same story, and would probably be fairly heavy going to read one after the other unless you're really into reading variations of the Faust story (like me :woop:). They're both worthwhile, but maybe with a gap between them. Personally, if you were only to read one, I'd recommend Goethe's Faust, which is longer but has vastly more depth and human interest to it. There are also multitudes of translations available - my favourite modern translation is Walter Kaufmann's, which chops out quite a lot of Act II but does a good job of sticking close to the original text while keeping it readable and capturing the humour.

Again, though, it depends what you're interested to read. Goethe's Faust is certainly the one to read first if you then want to move on to The Master and Margarita. However, if you want to get the most out of Confessions of a Justified Sinner, you should probably read Doctor Faustus. Marlowe and Hogg were both writing against very specific religious backgrounds in the UK, so they share a number of themes and explore similar philosophies.

As for Eric? It's light comedy relief, and only really superficially based on the story of Faust. Read it whenever you need a lighthearted boost in between the other books. :)

So yeah, my recommended order would probably be:

Doctor Faustus - Christopher Marlowe
Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner - James Hogg
Faust Eric - Terry Pratchett
Faust - Goethe
The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Other people may disagree, in which case I'd be interested to hear other ways of approaching the books. I think my own reading order was Eric > Faust > Faustus > Confessions > Margarita, but then I got hooked and ended up revisiting all of them in different combinations. It's also a woefully incomplete reading list, which is why I came here for more recommendations.

E: Oh, and since this post is not yet long enough, anyone else who's interested by ambiguous themes of religion, biblical prophecy and ultimate evil should really read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. I wouldn't call it Faustian, but it's definitely a cracking read and ticks a lot of similar mental boxes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Need recommendations for short stories of a specific type, that I'll probably fail pretty badly in describing. But essentially it's where, when you're done reading it, you marvel at how perfect the ending is, how it is the only possible ending, yet you never saw it coming. I'm thinking of stories like "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" by Philip K. Dick, or "The Dead Past" by Asimov. "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Clarke is one that tries to do this but is less successful in my opinion (maybe because in this case I saw the end coming).
And to clarify, it doesn't have to be science fiction. If you can think of any short story writers who excel at this type of story, don't hesitate to recommend them no matter the genre.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

regulargonzalez posted:

Need recommendations for short stories of a specific type, that I'll probably fail pretty badly in describing. But essentially it's where, when you're done reading it, you marvel at how perfect the ending is, how it is the only possible ending, yet you never saw it coming. I'm thinking of stories like "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" by Philip K. Dick, or "The Dead Past" by Asimov. "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Clarke is one that tries to do this but is less successful in my opinion (maybe because in this case I saw the end coming).
And to clarify, it doesn't have to be science fiction. If you can think of any short story writers who excel at this type of story, don't hesitate to recommend them no matter the genre.

Try All You Zombies, by Heinlen

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
I was wondering if anyone could help me remember the name of a book I wanted to read. It was about a group of aliens that were bad at fighting wars uplifting humanity because we're such a violent species to fight another alien race for them. I'm sure that I gave a horrible description of the book, but I'm hoping someone here can help me.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

regulargonzalez posted:

The Last Question by Isaac Asimov
A Girl I Knew by J.D. Salinger (EDIT: the ending isn't really a surprise, but it's the only possible ending and it gets you right in the gut)

I'm also assuming you've read An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Amazon Review posted:

GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire is actually pretty appropriate in this case, with its decentering of perspectives (e.g. POV chapters vs. a traditional "hero's journey"), its rejection of traditional fantasy tropes, and other things.

Also, China Mieville (though more sci fi than fantasy).

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 9, 2011

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Patrovsky posted:

Try All You Zombies, by Heinlen

Should have added that if it's a big name in sf, I've probably read it. Good suggestion though!

DirtyRobot posted:

The Last Question by Isaac Asimov
A Girl I Knew by J.D. Salinger (EDIT: the ending isn't really a surprise, but it's the only possible ending and it gets you right in the gut)

I'm also assuming you've read An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce.
Haven't read the Salinger story, will add it to the list. Thanks!

e: Other examples might be the P.G. Wodehouse Jeeves stories, where everything seems truly screwed up at the end until Jeeves comes up with the perfect solution that he's had lying in wait all along. I guess even Sherlock Holmes stories would count, though mysteries aren't quite what I'm looking for.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 9, 2011

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

katka posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me remember the name of a book I wanted to read. It was about a group of aliens that were bad at fighting wars uplifting humanity because we're such a violent species to fight another alien race for them. I'm sure that I gave a horrible description of the book, but I'm hoping someone here can help me.

Might try here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm sorry that the only time I post in this thread is to ask for recommendations, but I never know what to suggest to other people.

Anyways, I just finished watching the TV series The Tudors and really enjoyed it. It was my first exposure to English history. Now that it's over, I'd like to continue the story. I know that we have Queen Mary(Bloody Mary) and then Elizabeth, and then at some point we get to Victorian England, which I know nothing about. What's a good book that tells the story in a fun, entertaining way?

Or at least a website where I can search for books like this.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 9, 2011

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Anyone able to recommend a good book about love?

I'm basically asking for a romance novel, but those two words have a connotation of ripping bodices and ripped torsos, rather than ripping yarns. Anyone read a vaguely recent book that's the equivalent of a good romantic comedy? People meet, like one another and end up getting it together, and that's all you find yourself asking for?

Preferably without the horrible "stuff this poo poo forcefully into a three act structure" that every romcom in history has.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Evfedu posted:

I'm basically asking for a romance novel, but those two words have a connotation of ripping bodices and ripped torsos, rather than ripping yarns. Anyone read a vaguely recent book that's the equivalent of a good romantic comedy? People meet, like one another and end up getting it together, and that's all you find yourself asking for?

Preferably without the horrible "stuff this poo poo forcefully into a three act structure" that every romcom in history has.

Love in the Time of Cholera isn't exactly the equivalent of a good romantic comedy but it's a great book nonetheless.

AnneFrankNBeans
Sep 14, 2004

My brother is hot!

Evfedu posted:

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore is pretty humorous with a bit of romance. Maybe Meg Cabot books would appeal to you? I read Big Boned, which was part of a trilogy. The story line was pretty predictable, but it's definately a romantic comedy/mystery novel and it didn't piss me off like a lot of romance novels do. Hmm, Soulless by Gail Carringer is a humorous kinda-steam punky Victorian romance novel with monsters in it. Do you have an example of one that you really liked? I feel like I'm off base with my suggestions.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I was a big fan of Bloodsucking Fiends, actually, more for the funny vampires than the relationship, but it was a good one. Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever managed to get all the way through a book that focusses solely on a burgeoning romance before in my life, so I am completely open to any and all recommendations that don't involve inter-species/mortality trysts. And thank you for the tips so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
What are some good books about modern Arab or Arab-American women? Themes of "oppression" and "sexuality" are most useful. Fiction or non-fiction.

I have a bunch of stuff by Hanan al-Shaykh ordered already.