Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KARMA! posted:

.. still good!!

For sale: Sprockets still have another 3k miles EASY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Silver posted:

Reposting from the gif thread.

Ouch.

Well, if that isn't an endorsement for full face helmets, I don't know what is.

Content
Honda may be coming out with a new V4 1000 sportbike.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1104_honda_rvf1000r_coming_soon/index.html

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

Well, if that isn't an endorsement for full face helmets, I don't know what is.

Content
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1104_honda_rvf1000r_coming_soon/index.html

Please yes, need more Honda V4s :swoon:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

.. still good!!

You could pick your teeth with that sprocket :stare:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Retarded Pimp posted:

Content

I'll believe it when I see one on a dealership floor. This was supposed to have already happened and all we got was the VFR1200.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'll believe it when I see one on a dealership floor. This was supposed to have already happened and all we got was the VFR1200.

New MotoGP rules could make something like this much more of a possibility. Next year privateer teams can get double the motors and a higher fuel load if they use the bottom end of a production bike. Honda could run a drat similar bike then.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBK_vwrc2Zs

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Bring me your unlicensed, your pocket bikes, your smallish classes yearning to breathe free...

http://www.freep.com/article/20110501/NEWS01/110501006/Thunderdrome-racing-series-roars-through-Detroit

Also, could they possibly be more consumed by their own cleverness:

http://thunderdrome.com/rules-and-faq/

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
To be fair the rules were pretty entertaining to read. I wish there were something like this in DFW (though I haven't exactly looked)

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Every touring book I've ever read has warned me to walk across any water crossings first... For exactly that reason.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Pagan posted:

Every touring book I've ever read has warned me to walk across any water crossings first... For exactly that reason.

If it was a pothole or something you could still very easily overlook it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SlightlyMadman posted:

Queue gif of the guy walking the same route, and then abruptly tumbling head over heels in a somersault and wiping out.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

SlightlyMadman posted:

That's why you ride where you have walked...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I just find it comical he chose a speed that saved his balls but not his rear end. And something about having to name his bike to 'teakettle' now.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

There's another recent thread on ADV with 2-3 people riding F800GSes from Canada to Argentina and all three of them, if i'm not mistaken, ate their engines at around Honduras. Pistons all scored up, con rod bearings gone, as if the oil pumps all just shat the bed at the same time. Very odd, even if you don't already have high expectations of modern BMW manufacturing.

The fact that this happened to three people on the same trip might suggest the possibility that they all used some sort of adulterated product (I mean in their bikes!) rather than a particular mfg. or design fault?

Just throwing that out there - I'm not really a BMW apologist, although I agree with the ADVrider dude that I'd take a free G450X if it was offered. I certainly wouldn't choose a GS for my round-the-world ride, that's for drat sure.

The 800GS is definitely the best looking of the 800s. However, they're all still overpriced for what is basically a really, really expensive Yamaha TRX/TDM 850 without the good looks or charisma. In fact, I wonder how that rarest of things, an XTZ750 in good condition, would perform on dirt against the 800?

Am I alone in thinking that scooter.gif has almost the same potential as the diouf one?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Saga posted:

The fact that this happened to three people on the same trip might suggest the possibility that they all used some sort of adulterated product (I mean in their bikes!) rather than a particular mfg. or design fault?

Just throwing that out there - I'm not really a BMW apologist, although I agree with the ADVrider dude that I'd take a free G450X if it was offered. I certainly wouldn't choose a GS for my round-the-world ride, that's for drat sure.

The 800GS is definitely the best looking of the 800s. However, they're all still overpriced for what is basically a really, really expensive Yamaha TRX/TDM 850 without the good looks or charisma. In fact, I wonder how that rarest of things, an XTZ750 in good condition, would perform on dirt against the 800?

Am I alone in thinking that scooter.gif has almost the same potential as the diouf one?

I only have one thing to say about BMW's and I quote the...french? I think, cameraman from long way round, shortly after his GS broke down on the road of bones and they bought a little Russian machine for like 3 grand; "I like this, is not so heavy. Glides over the dirt, instead of getting stuck!"

Then the russian bike breaks and everyone has a crack at it for a couple of hours until some old guys rock up and fix it with duct tape.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more I wonder how the long way round/long way down series actually promoted BMW...literally every third scene is them complaining about their heavy, hard to control bikes (I'm not being anti-BMW here, that's actually how it goes)

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
It was a huge windfall for BMW. The people who went out and bough GS's after seeing that ignored all the bits where they sucked.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've wondered that as well, and it makes you actually see completely why KTM turned them down. A savvy adventure rider could easily conclude from watching the show that a BMW has some serious drawbacks for that sort of journey, particularly in its difficulty to repair the sensitive components like ABS, without adequate facilities. On the other hand, for every guy that decides not to buy one for that reason, there's probably a hundred people who want to ride around on Ewan McGregor's bike.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've wondered that as well, and it makes you actually see completely why KTM turned them down. A savvy adventure rider could easily conclude from watching the show that a BMW has some serious drawbacks for that sort of journey, particularly in its difficulty to repair the sensitive components like ABS, without adequate facilities. On the other hand, for every guy that decides not to buy one for that reason, there's probably a hundred people who want to ride around on Ewan McGregor's bike.

In this country, the later GS has become a massive seller for them on the back of that series. It's the BMW you see most, typically spotless, fully togged out with ADV-approved industrial strength racks etc. and ridden by a polite looking accountant in cordura. The used bike selection at our local dealership basically consists of GSs and RTs.

On the plus side, these people aren't buying Harleys and they are riding their bikes to work! I think they'd have an easier time commuting on possibly any other boxer, but each to their own.

I think possibly KTM were less worried about the bikes looking good and more about their marketing strategy. Look at their marketing videos - they want to be seen as edgy, not "luvvy". However defensible from a logistical perspective, the enormous support crew and multiple SUVs wouldn't look great either. Of course it could just have been that they were being obtuse and Austrian, as Ewan McGregor I think has implied.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Saga posted:

In this country, the later GS has become a massive seller for them on the back of that series. It's the BMW you see most, typically spotless, fully togged out with ADV-approved industrial strength racks etc. and ridden by a polite looking accountant in cordura. The used bike selection at our local dealership basically consists of GSs and RTs.

This, seriously. The number of fully decked out, yet spotless, "adventure" GSs in Seattle is up there. Not as high as the amount of Ducs and Triumphs, but still. My SV probably saw more dirt than those things.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Is it really such a surprise in a society where everyone drives SUVs and Hummers that never see dirt?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
We don't even have Hummers - they're a little silly, even for us. The slightly more sensible alternative is a Defender with ALL the crap on it. Snorkel, fancy rimz, winch, canvas optional etc.

Those are possibly more dumb if you do get them muddy - exception, you own or work on a farm or large estate.

Reason being, this is the UK, not Wyoming. If you live in a suburban semi on the outskirts of Reading and are "off roading" your land rover, you're going to a hell of a lot of trouble for that mud. It's sort of like buying the LL Bean edition Outback and driving around wearing a Crocodile Dundee hat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

This, seriously. The number of fully decked out, yet spotless, "adventure" GSs in Seattle is up there. Not as high as the amount of Ducs and Triumphs, but still. My SV probably saw more dirt than those things.

Haha, yeah I can almost guarantee my Vstar has seen more dirt than most of the GSs at the Ride West swap meets :) Ever backed in a chromed-out 700 lb lump? Harrowing.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pope Mobile posted:

Redmond.

In order of popularity its

GS
GS
GS
some other bmw
a bmw car
harley
any sport bike with a tendency toward ducati.

It's the MS contractors that buy all the useable reasonably priced poo poo. At will employment has a profound effect on practicality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mutt2jeff posted:

It was a huge windfall for BMW. The people who went out and bough GS's after seeing that ignored all the bits where they sucked.
That's because 99.9% of them will never see areas like the ones where they sucked. They still make good touring rigs.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I'd love to have one for touring, as long as I knew the final drive was in good shape.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

I'd love to have one for touring, as long as I knew the final drive was in good shape.

I'd love to have one for touring, with hmmmm maybe lots of integrated luggage, a more sensible ride height, good wind protection...

OH WAIT!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

This is amazing. Whoever did that got to have drinks in Don Draper's office.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Not sure if this has been posted before, but this is why you NEVER EVER EVER start the bike when you're cleaning the chain.

NMS!!
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Forty Two posted:

NEVER EVER EVER start the bike when you're cleaning the chain.

Sweet loving christ!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just started my bike while spraying the chain last week, but for the love of god I didn't put a rag anywhere near it. :psyduck: Guy had a major brainfart and he'll be adjusting the front brake a bit now huh?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What if I go off-roading on my Duc?

Did about 30 miles trying to get to tarmac again, but had to turn around because there was snow in the way. Luckily my girlfriend was on the back to block all the mud being flung up!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Slim Pickens posted:

Did about 30 miles trying to get to tarmac again, but had to turn around because there was snow in the way. Luckily my girlfriend was on the back to block all the mud being flung up!

Oh wow, so the picture of the woman on a mudflap has way more to it than I ever assumed.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slim Pickens posted:

I think someone pooped in your rear brake fluid reservoir.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I just changed it a few months ago, too. :(

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Bixington posted:

Sweet loving christ!

I don't even have to click the link to cringe while thinking I used to clean my chain that way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Forty Two posted:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but this is why you NEVER EVER EVER start the bike when you're cleaning the chain.

NMS!!
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261

It has been posted before, but it's definitely one of those things that cannot be overemphasized.

Your fingers are nothing compared to 75+ ft-lbs of force multiplied by gear ratios. Nothing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Your fingers are nothing compared to 75+ ft-lbs of force multiplied by gear ratios. Nothing.

He was cleaning the chain with the bike in gear, but I don't think he was holding the throttle wide open. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

He was cleaning the chain with the bike in gear, but I don't think he was holding the throttle wide open. :v:

Can you truthfully, honestly tell me that you're 100% sure about that? :v:

Still, way too much torque for your puny soft fleshy meat fingers to handle.