Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
who knows he might be right about the fight he watched

i think the typical judging guideline is "disregard punches unless they inflict clear damage". some judges may need a knockdown for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about since when I was loving in thailand and went to Patong stadium that's exactly what was said by the ring announcer, that's exactly what my friends who train MT told me and that's exactly what I was told when training there.

Uhh

WBC Muay Thai Rules, Section 15, Scoring Procedure posted:

15.1 When the boxer uses his fists, feet, knees, and elbows as Muay Thai fighting weapons to attack his opponent powerfully, accurately, unprotectedly, and accordingly to the rules.

Well I guess, its possible they might do things different in Thailand...

Lumpinee Stadium Laws 1957, Item 18, Points Given posted:

(7) The giving of points will be given, according to the following rules:

a. Any boxer uses Muaythai weapons (fist, kick, knee, and elbow) according to the rules, against his opponent more, is the winner.

Welp. I understand that there are a metric rear end-ton of promotions with varying rules and scoring criteria but I have never heard of a single Muay Thai event where punches didn't count at all. Its generally understood that they aren't scored as favorably as kicks, elbows, and knees but saying they don't count at all is very wrong. I haven't been to Thailand, and I've never been to Patong Stadium, and I can't find their laws posted online, I guess I can't say with certainty that punches do indeed count at Patong. What I can say is that this is a general thread, for general answers to general questions, and since its generally accepted in most of the Muay Thai world that punches do infact, count, I guess we can choose to disregard you, your friends, the gym the trained at, and the stadium you went to as outliers and not reflective of Muay Thai in general.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 6, 2011

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Is it true that the emphasis on elbows began as a reaction to modern laws requiring that competitors wear boxing gloves, instead of the traditional broken glass glued-on to the fists?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I believe that's an urban legend. Fighters did used to wrap their hands with hemp rope, which created more opportunities to open cuts on each other.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

BlindSite posted:

Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about since when I was loving in thailand and went to Patong stadium that's exactly what was said by the ring announcer, that's exactly what my friends who train MT told me and that's exactly what I was told when training there.

tell me about loving in thailand. did you catch a disease that made you dumb + wrong

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Gomi Pile posted:

tell me about loving in thailand. did you catch a disease that made you dumb + wrong

i think he was admitting to being a pedophile/ a gay

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

Uhh

Well I guess, its possible they might do things different in Thailand...

Welp. I understand that there are a metric rear end-ton of promotions with varying rules and scoring criteria but I have never heard of a single Muay Thai event where punches didn't count at all. Its generally understood that they aren't scored as favorably as kicks, elbows, and knees but saying they don't count at all is very wrong. I haven't been to Thailand, and I've never been to Patong Stadium, and I can't find their laws posted online, I guess I can't say with certainty that punches do indeed count at Patong. What I can say is that this is a general thread, for general answers to general questions, and since its generally accepted in most of the Muay Thai world that punches do infact, count, I guess we can choose to disregard you, your friends, the gym the trained at, and the stadium you went to as outliers and not reflective of Muay Thai in general.

Keep in mind that I did say "traditional" and I may be wrong in other promotions, but it was clearly said and I am repeating verbatim "punches do not score points".

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Keep in mind that I did say "traditional" and I may be wrong in other promotions, but it was clearly said and I am repeating verbatim "punches do not score points".

I'd imagine if you went back so far that punches "didn't score" you'd be going back so far that there were rope bindings, no rounds, and no real rules anyway. Even the earliest texts we have describing Muay Thai techniques list and illustrate punches as central techniques.

Its far more likely something like this happened to you.

Fight Passport posted:

Well, the saying “if it seems to good to be true, it usually is” held true tonight because what was marketed as a “fight” turned out to be nothing more than a 2 round demonstration. I actually paid the admission fee for this event too because it was a packed house (I’m usually able to get myself waved in without actually buying a ticket).

As for the actual demonstration itself, it left a lot to be desired. Buakaw and Namsaknoi just lightly sparred (without punches) for two short rounds. Actually, the wai kru they performed at the start lasted longer than the actual demo. Here are some of the highlights..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXP4HUdeJfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft0lPXV4tNE

And that was at Patong Stadium actually.

Either way I wasn't calling you a bullshitter anyway, I'm pointing out that this is a thread about general stuff. Your very unique experience in Thailand, while interesting and possibly made up, isn't really reflective of organized professional Muay Thai now or maybe ever. Since this thread is intended to help introduce and integrate new fans to our beloved gay sports its probably important to point out that what you posted isn't really the norm in any way shape or form.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I didn't go to an exhibition I went to a card of about 6 fights, I've still got the flyer and I've got stamps in my passport I'm happy to take photos of if you think I'm full of poo poo. I can even tell you the number of the seat I sat in.

I don't really want to continue arguing over this anyway. I'm happy to disagree with you and leave it at that.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have a link to that video that was crapping around a while ago of Dana White with Rashad Evans wife after he got knocked out by Machida where she's hysterical and he has to take the belt into the ring.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlindSite posted:

I'm happy to disagree with you and leave it at that.

To make this educational, you or others should find out what the scoring rules are for the stadium title belts in Thailand, and describe what they are in non-Thai MT organizations.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BlindSite posted:

I don't really want to continue arguing over this anyway. I'm happy to disagree with you and leave it at that.

No need man. I believe you and apologize for being a little passive aggressive, just trying to be funny with the "possibly made up" line. I think we can both agree though that those rules are hardly the norm and that generally speaking punches are scored in Muay Thai though generally they are given much less weight than kicks, knees, and elbows.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 7, 2011

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlindSite posted:

I didn't go to an exhibition I went to a card of about 6 fights, I've still got the flyer and I've got stamps in my passport I'm happy to take photos of if you think I'm full of poo poo. I can even tell you the number of the seat I sat in.

i'm not convinced

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
punches are scored in muay thai hth

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
To me this was always the coolest muay thai move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zBlvwCUfow

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In Boston, there's sizeable Khmer and Lao populations. Some gyms are really jingoistic about teaching pure Muay Lao and Pradal Serey, not Muay Thai. Lot of history between those countries, obviously.
One of my coaches went to train with the head coach at some Muay Lao gym, and was getting these looks of death for wearing shorts with the Muay Thai script on them. He was about to get thrown out when the head coach cooled everyone down. I'm sure you could confirm the same sentiment if you ventured to the comments section of that video.

But yeah, they pretty much are all the same art.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

In Boston, there's sizeable Khmer and Lao populations. Some gyms are really jingoistic about teaching pure Muay Lao and Pradal Serey, not Muay Thai. Lot of history between those countries, obviously.
One of my coaches went to train with the head coach at some Muay Lao gym, and was getting these looks of death for wearing shorts with the Muay Thai script on them. He was about to get thrown out when the head coach cooled everyone down. I'm sure you could confirm the same sentiment if you ventured to the comments section of that video.

But yeah, they pretty much are all the same art.

If anyone wants to see these types of rivalries there's a series of DVDs called Muay Thai: The Beginning featuring some brutal fights between from memory Burmese fighters and Thai boxers.

There's also some old tale can't remember the name of it but supposedly a thai boxer was captured and killed or defeated a bunch of burmese guys in a tournament and rode off into the sunset in a bad rear end way with wives after he won his freedom.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muay_Thai#Nai_Khanomtom found it.

There's some interesting history to be read, some other super human martial arts reading for those interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masutatsu_Oyama (founder of kyokushin) who apparently used to kill bulls with his bare hands after he ran out of what he considered fair human opponents.

A while back I was going to start an origins of martial arts thread might have to put some work into that.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
So someone on another forum brought up the argument that allowing knees and kicks towards the head of a downed opponent again (like in the Glorious Pride Days or whatever) would eliminate the "unfair" advantage that wrestlers have in American MMA nowadays.

I remember that this has been discussed on here as well and I think the conclusion was that wrestlers, who are better at getting top position, would actually gain even more of an advantage if they were allowed to use kicks and knees on the ground.

However people still argue that this rule would help "strikers" because then they would be allowed to use knees to defend against double leg takedowns and other kinds of takedowns where the opponent goes down on one knee to shoot in. But aren't fighters actually allowed to use knees against takedown shots even today, despite the rule against kicks on the ground?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yes they are.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
That's what I thought. Doesn't seem to help strikers much. I guess fighting is just unfair.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Having knees on the ground would mean more wrestlers would finish fights, IMO. Or at the very least dudes would scramble a lot more instead of hanging on and hoping for a ref standup.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 9, 2011

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

Also it's not like people didn't LnP in PRIDE.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gunblade posted:

However people still argue that this rule would help "strikers" because then they would be allowed to use knees to defend against double leg takedowns and other kinds of takedowns where the opponent goes down on one knee to shoot in. But aren't fighters actually allowed to use knees against takedown shots even today, despite the rule against kicks on the ground?
You can knee a guy as he's shooting, but that's hard. It's easier to sprawl and then start throwing knees to the head--you can't do that once one guy has a knee on the ground.

But that's not wrestler kryptonite anyway. Wrestlers won fights with knees to the head from the top position in PRIDE.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Halloween Jack posted:

But that's not wrestler kryptonite anyway. Wrestlers won fights with knees to the head from the top position in PRIDE.

See: The Greatest Moment of Mark Coleman's Life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8hQczEosCc&t=6m40s

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
I was actually looking for that Coleman fight to use as an argument in the discussion. Thanks!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

fawker posted:

See: The Greatest Moment of Mark Coleman's Life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8hQczEosCc&t=6m40s

Philistine! This is the actual Greatest Moment of Mark Coleman's Life:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was hoping for a giant banana king commercial.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I will never not click that link. That's some slick poo poo

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
How common are concussions in MMA?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Sue Denim posted:

Well any loss of consciousness due to trauma to the head is by definition a concussion so pretty drat common.

edit; hell according to some classifications you don't even need to have lost consciousness to be considered concussed, just confusion or degradation of motor skills. So any time you see a guy "rocked", that's a concussion.

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 10, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

Surprisingly you don't see a lot of suspensions for concussions. Obviously taking punches to the face for a career isn't what you'd call conducive to long term brain health that being said however, due to the prevalence of kickboxing, wrestling and BJJ you're less likely to end up with as much damage being done to your brain when compared to boxing.

The other thing to keep in mind too is that boxing gloves are apparently worse than 4oz ones when it comes to brain damage. The argument is that the added weight to the glove combined with the extra distribution of the entirety of the force of the punch means that a fighter can take more overall damage over the course of a fight using gloves than fighting bare knuckled or with 4oz gloves while feeling less of the negative effects associated with the smaller gloves ie. broken bones, swelling etc.

EDIT: The above on the glove thing is something that has been disputed by some in both sports. I'm no doctor so I don't really know how true it is, consider it food for thought.

MMA is still pretty young and even the guys we consider pioneers are only just reaching the ages of 45-50ish now so there's no real long term case study you can do on what kind of impact a life of MMA fighting has on your brain when you get older.

Consider too that most boxers for example will have a lot of amatuer fights before turning pro.

Sugar shane Mosely for example had something like 99 fights as an amatuer and over 150 in his entire career. Compare that to Anderson silva who at 3 years younger has 34 fights, probably a few more amateur ones thrown in that I can't find a source of.

That's a big difference in the mathematical number of impacts his head has suffered.

MMA is in no way good for your brain, but I'd argue in a big way it's a lot less dangerous than boxing, or american football for that matter.

I know you didn't ask for a comparison but boxing is known for producing old guys who end up punchy and near invalid from their brain injuries, in MMA there's simply not a long term study because of the age of the sport to quantify the data of brain injuries but by in large there seems to be almost no medical suspensions due to suspected concussions.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 11, 2011

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlindSite posted:

The other thing to keep in mind too is that boxing gloves are apparently worse than 4oz ones when it comes to brain damage.

ehhhh

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

more like sadistic boxing refs

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

ehhhh

Yeah I always thought the reverse was true but there was an article I read that said otherwise.

I should have mentioned the standing 8 count and downed counts doesn't exactly help either.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
there hasn't been much if any serious research done on head trauma in mma. but if you read about concussions in football it's pretty disturbing

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I adjusted my post to include what I'd read and a "this may be bullshit" disclaimer.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BlindSite posted:

:words:

I agree that MMA is the lesser of two evils when it comes to brain damage. In MMA, fights generally stop after a flash knockout (a fairly serious brain trauma where they regain consciousness quickly) because of the ground game. Compare that to boxing where if you get a flash knockout, the ref pauses the fight. If you can recover enough to stand back up in 10 seconds, the fight continues. So there's a lot more potential to accumulate serious damage in a boxing match, and it's part of the reason that the brains of boxers have calluses develop over the front of their brains by the end of their careers.

I think it was covered by Real Sports, but the major danger in contact sports is sparring and repetitive small concussions during training, rather than huge knockouts during fights. It's the daily grind kind of minor brain injuries that are more dangerous, because they accumulate over time. They put impact sensors in HS football players' helmets, and they received a lot of sub-concussive impacts over the course of a single practice, even on 'easy' days.

Don't most athletic commissions hand out mandatory 30 day suspensions to all fighters on a card after an event?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

there hasn't been much if any serious research done on head trauma in mma. but if you read about concussions in football it's pretty disturbing

Though I don't like professional athletes using the "my brain is broke that's why I'm a poo poo human" excuse there does seem to be more and more evidence, albeit circumstantial that the excess trauma these guys would've suffered from highschool through college in the years where your frontal lobe (impulse control etc) is still developing properly could be a contributing factor as to why these guys have such poor impulse control. Many players end up with allegations of sexual assault, domestic violence and other assorted scaliwag behaviour, of course they could just be as I eluded to before poo poo humans with an over indulged sense of entitlement coupled with a less than stellar upbringing but it's at the very least something to be considered.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Bundt Cake posted:

there hasn't been much serious research done on head trauma in boxing either, despite what dante and fatherdog tell you

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Though I don't like professional athletes using the "my brain is broke that's why I'm a poo poo human" excuse there does seem to be more and more evidence, albeit circumstantial that the excess trauma these guys would've suffered from highschool through college in the years where your frontal lobe (impulse control etc) is still developing properly could be a contributing factor as to why these guys have such poor impulse control. Many players end up with allegations of sexual assault, domestic violence and other assorted scaliwag behaviour, of course they could just be as I eluded to before poo poo humans with an over indulged sense of entitlement coupled with a less than stellar upbringing but it's at the very least something to be considered.

Case in point: War Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Bundt Cake posted:

No one based in TKD has ever done poo poo,