Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

fishmech posted:

Enough to make up for minimal customer service support? I really doubt it. There's already been someone here with the touch screen going haywire and taking a while to reset to functional state.

If you're going to be hacking the thing to put an unoptimized Kindle reader app on, you'll have a better experiences with a Kindle - it's simple as that.

Minimal customer support, eh? What do you need so much customer support for? How often do these things break? Is there a history of Nooks breaking and B&N doing nothing about it? I honestly don't know. I'd personally rather have the superior hardware in the Nook Touch, but to each their own :)

As for the unoptimized Kindle app, what's the difference between an "unoptimized" kindle app and an "optimized" kindle app? I also know that Calibre can help with this issue if you don't want to install any hacked software.

Anyway, right now I have a Nook touch and I'm in love with it. Everyone who sees it wants it. We are getting closer to the perfect size for ereaders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The in hand appeal of the Nook Touch is just incredible. I'm actually very happy that I didn't see it in person before mine was shipped to me or it would have been driving me crazy waiting for it.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

PoisonedV posted:

What are the chances of a new Kindle being released soon? I'm considering getting one but I don't want to be screwed when they release a new version a day later with massive price drops on the old model.

Edit: Arggh now that I've been reading this thread I'm completely conflicted over the new Nook or the Kindle. I guess I just have to decide if I actually give a poo poo about 3G.

A new kindle is extremely likely but won't be coming around until mid Q3 if anything.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I've seen talk about a kindle tablet, but I wouldn't expect a new 6 inch kindle for a while. E-Ink hasn't come out with anything after E-Ink Pearl.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

commish posted:

Minimal customer support, eh? What do you need so much customer support for? How often do these things break? Is there a history of Nooks breaking and B&N doing nothing about it? I honestly don't know. I'd personally rather have the superior hardware in the Nook Touch, but to each their own :)

As for the unoptimized Kindle app, what's the difference between an "unoptimized" kindle app and an "optimized" kindle app? I also know that Calibre can help with this issue if you don't want to install any hacked software.

Anyway, right now I have a Nook touch and I'm in love with it. Everyone who sees it wants it. We are getting closer to the perfect size for ereaders!

There was already someone whose new nook was rendered useless for an extended time because the IR touch system hosed up and he couldn't reset it without touch. Had this happened with Amazon he could have just had a new device at his doorstep next day.

Uh, one that understands that you have an e-ink screen and thus shouldn't do things designed for an LCD screen? That's pretty obvious. Calibre doesn't break DRM for you, by the way.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

fishmech posted:

There was already someone whose new nook was rendered useless for an extended time because the IR touch system hosed up and he couldn't reset it without touch.
One person had a problem, nobody buy a Nook.

Come on.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Quantify! posted:

One person had a problem, nobody buy a Nook.

Come on.

Its mostly just about what happens when you do run into problems not so much the incident rate.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sperg Victorious posted:

Its mostly just about what happens when you do run into problems not so much the incident rate.

So what does happen in the case of a nook failure? Is B&N exceptionally lovely with customer care or something? This particular device technically released today, so I can't imagine that there are many "I've waited weeks for a replacement" types of instances.

Or is it more about how great Amazon tends to be with Kindle issues?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

sirbeefalot posted:

So what does happen in the case of a nook failure? Is B&N exceptionally lovely with customer care or something? This particular device technically released today, so I can't imagine that there are many "I've waited weeks for a replacement" types of instances.

Or is it more about how great Amazon tends to be with Kindle issues?
It's the latter.

People get all excited about how Amazon will send you a new Kindle if you just call up and say "I got a problem", but 99.99% of electronic devices have to go through the usual process.

If Amazon offered a touch Kindle that was the same kind of device as the new Nook, I'd probably say get the Kindle for the benefits that Amazon provides. But if you're concerned about the actual device and not the quality of customer service that you probably will never be using, the Nook is the better buy right now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

commish posted:

This post is pretty silly.

It's not a question of whether or not the device breaks alot but the off chance that if something happens to your device, you'll be taken care of. Accidents do happen. Amazon is one of the few companies I know of where you can tell their CS, something happened to my device due to my mistake and they will respond with "we'll send a box, you mail it back and we will send you another one".

There is a big difference between hacking your device to run the Kindle app (if it is possible, they got Angry Birds "running" but who knows what is going to come of that) and having to break the DRM/format shift every book you buy from them.

I also find it funny how a touchscreen = better hardware since that is the only real difference between the two, in that respect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sporadic posted:

I also find it funny how a touchscreen = better hardware since that is the only real difference between the two, in that respect.

Form factor for a device like this is very key and B&N knocked it out of the loving park this time.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
Quite frankly, I'm going to be pissed whenever Amazon gets rid of the keyboard. I often read in bed laying on my back, with the kindle propped up on my chest, and the keyboard sinks into the comforter but leaves the screen visible. Without it, I would need to prop it on something :v:

I thought this was a pretty unique concern but there was an entire thread about it on reddit/kindle a while back.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

dont eat a carb posted:

Quite frankly, I'm going to be pissed whenever Amazon gets rid of the keyboard. I often read in bed laying on my back, with the kindle propped up on my chest, and the keyboard sinks into the comforter but leaves the screen visible. Without it, I would need to prop it on something :v:

I thought this was a pretty unique concern but there was an entire thread about it on reddit/kindle a while back.
Maybe they'll keep a version with the keyboard. Sort of like how you can still get an ipod with the clickwheel.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

fishmech posted:

There was already someone whose new nook was rendered useless for an extended time because the IR touch system hosed up and he couldn't reset it without touch. Had this happened with Amazon he could have just had a new device at his doorstep next day.

Since I was the one to report on it, let me elaborate what happened. The touch stopped working. Just holding the power button brings up a prompt to turn the device off, just like holding the lock button on an iPhone brings up the "swipe to turn off". Since the screen wasn't responding, I couldn't press the prompt. Instead I held the power and N buttons down for 10 seconds and did a hard reboot. Came back up just fine.

There's only two buttons on the thing, it's not hard to figure out that holding them both for a few seconds will reboot it.

It's been a week of nearly nonstop use and the problem hasn't occurred again. It's not exactly something I live in perpetual fear of... worst case you hard reboot, which takes less than a minute.

I've all but stopped reading ebooks on my iPad. The form factor really is exactly what I was looking for in this kind of device.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
To be clear, if you have a problem like that you can take your device into your local B&N store and they will either fix it or give you a new one. As long as it's within a year so it's still covered under the manufacturer warranty.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

sirbeefalot posted:

So what does happen in the case of a nook failure? Is B&N exceptionally lovely with customer care or something?

My Nook had a problem and I can say that their over-the-phone tech support is foreign and crappy, but their in-store support is great.

The over-the-phone support mostly sucks because of the language issue and the fact that they seem to staff people who don't know what the gently caress is going on. I haven't had any problem with their policies. They sent me a new battery at no charge and didn't make me return the non-working battery, so there's pretty much nothing for me to complain about there.

People in this thread are getting pretty mad about other people's preference of eReader brand.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Calibre finally sees the light of day, regarding the insane update-cirkus he has!

Downloading a 35 MB file EVERY time? Really?!

Also, the translation is a little wonky.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

brylcreem posted:

Calibre finally sees the light of day, regarding the insane update-cirkus he has!

I didn't see that note, I just blindly clicked Ok. :ohdear:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

brylcreem posted:

I finally took the .8 plunge, I figure a month might be long enough for the add-ons to become stable.

Also new nook arrived last night. The 'touch' screen on the eInk is amazing. It's for my wife so I'm not sure if I'll root it yet, depends on how she deals with the native Folders on a sideload. But I can't wait to get one for myself.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

fishmech posted:

Calibre doesn't break DRM for you, by the way.
Are you intentionally trolling, like trying to see if you can get someone probated or something?

Mnemosyne posted:

People in this thread are getting pretty mad about other people's preference of eReader brand.
Yeah, a little bit of nerd brand loyalty syndrome cropping up in this thread maybe.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Rastor posted:

Yeah, a little bit of nerd brand loyalty syndrome cropping up in this thread maybe.

A "Nook" reader would say that :colbert:

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Heads up to anyone in the UK, at least some Tesco stores are selling Kindles (both versions). Mine is just a normal store (ie, not a megastore or whatever) and it has a stand of them.

If I didn't like my Sony one so much, I'd probably buy one.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm not surprised at brand loyalty, I'm more surprised at the "Oh my god, the new touch screen readers are so great!!!"

Different strokes and all, but if the touch screen doesn't provide a necessary function, I don't want one. I can't for the life of me see how it's not a step backwards ergonomically to have a touch screen ereader. Hold book, press button to turn page, never move hands. Or, hold book, take hand off book, swipe, put hand back on book, repeat every 15 seconds.

I am seeing more and more Ipad owners going back to or going to ereaders. Ipad showed them how nice an ereader is in concept, and how unwieldy the Ipad is for that function. It's the weight that most I've talked to have cited as its big drawback for a day to day reader.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

torgeaux posted:

I'm not surprised at brand loyalty, I'm more surprised at the "Oh my god, the new touch screen readers are so great!!!"

Different strokes and all, but if the touch screen doesn't provide a necessary function, I don't want one. I can't for the life of me see how it's not a step backwards ergonomically to have a touch screen ereader. Hold book, press button to turn page, never move hands. Or, hold book, take hand off book, swipe, put hand back on book, repeat every 15 seconds.

I am seeing more and more Ipad owners going back to or going to ereaders. Ipad showed them how nice an ereader is in concept, and how unwieldy the Ipad is for that function. It's the weight that most I've talked to have cited as its big drawback for a day to day reader.

I have a Kindle 3 and an iPad. The UI of the Kindle App on the iPad is awesome. Amazon obviously spent some time on it and using the Kindle 3 in comparison feels clunky as hell. I can see the benefit of a touch interface on a newer Kindle. I also like the slightly smaller form factor of the Nook as well, I never use the keyboard.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rastor posted:

Are you intentionally trolling, like trying to see if you can get someone probated or something?

The guy said you could use Calibre to get Kindle books on a Nook if you didn't hack the Kindle app onto it. That's not true, since Calibre won't strip the Amazon DRM so it can't convert the "locked" files.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

torgeaux posted:

Maybe because it was really well implemented and exceeded most people's expectations? I don't see anyone going overboard with enthusiasm, it's just a lot of positive response for an apparently well made product.

I'm not a fan of touch screen readers either, but after handling the new Nook, I'm really impressed. It has several functions that are big improvements. Having the keyboard onscreen frees up physical space on the actual device, and it's very responsive and easy to use.

I'm curious why you'd think you have to take your hand off the book to turn a page though, turning the page with one hand is exactly how you'd use a physical book? Unless you're disabled and have use of only one hand, in which case, you can still use the page turn buttons on the side of the device like before, which can be pressed with one hand.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

fishmech posted:

The guy said you could use Calibre to get Kindle books on a Nook if you didn't hack the Kindle app onto it. That's not true, since Calibre won't strip the Amazon DRM so it can't convert the "locked" files.

Yes it can. Not straight "out of the box", sure, but it definitely can.

I think you already know that...

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

m0isty posted:

Yes it can. Not straight "out of the box", sure, but it definitely can.

I think you already know that...

He does know that, he's being intentionally obtuse.

He's "technically right" - the best :spergin: kind of right!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm curious why you'd think you have to take your hand off the book to turn a page though, turning the page with one hand is exactly how you'd use a physical book? Unless you're disabled and have use of only one hand, in which case, you can still use the page turn buttons on the side of the device like before, which can be pressed with one hand.

I use my Kindle a lot on crowded subways where my other hand is holding on to a bar or jammed down at my side by the crowd, which is the whole reason I bought a kindle: I often couldn't read real books on the train because I couldn't hold them in one hand and turn the pages. That's one of the main advantages of an e-reader over a real book: it's light and usable by one hand.

On the other hand, as I understand it, the new Nook still has page turn buttons, so the whole argument is completely pointless.

edit: having said that, the keyboard seems much better than the touchscreen with my purposes in mind. With the keyboard, I can navigate things like the NY Times that require stuff like up and down, and the "back" button, still using only one hand (as long as it's my right hand so I can reach the arrow keys). Sounds like the touchscreen would make that impossible, which is a step back for me.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 11, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

torgeaux posted:

As mentioned, the touch nook still has physical page buttons. I don't use the touch screen to change pages.

What makes it so great is related to your second paragraph. By eliminating the input area (physical keyboard or touch LCD screen), it's that much closer to the form factor of a small paperback.

99% of the time you are using these things for just reading and you only need input controls when changing books or navigating your library. It makes sense to essentially hide those controls until needed to make a smaller device.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bull3964 posted:

As mentioned, the touch nook still has physical page buttons. I don't use the touch screen to change pages.

What makes it so great is related to your second paragraph. By eliminating the input area (physical keyboard or touch LCD screen), it's that much closer to the form factor of a small paperback.

99% of the time you are using these things for just reading and you only need input controls when changing books or navigating your library. It makes sense to essentially hide those controls until needed to make a smaller device.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The fact that the nook has physical buttons is great, and makes me wonder, "why is there a touch screen again?" That's my point, what is a touch screen bringing to the game?

As for turning the page exactly how I do with a real book? Yeah, that's one of the many advantages an ereader has over a real book. I can read one handed, same hand holding book also turning pages. Can't do that without the buttons, though. I don't wonder that the new readers are great, and smaller. I just wonder about the touch screen being seen as an advantage, when for my purposes it's an obvious zero added value (assuming physical buttons to turn pages). The keyboard on the kindle is useful when I need it, not a factor when I don't. Like I said, to each his own, I just haven't heard any advantage yet to the touch screen, but see several disadvantages.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

torgeaux posted:

The fact that the nook has physical buttons is great, and makes me wonder, "why is there a touch screen again?" That's my point, what is a touch screen bringing to the game?

Again, it's about what it's not bringing to the game. It's a 19% shorter device while keeping the same screen size. If you don't care about a smaller size, fine. Everyone I've shown it to so far has said ereaders have finally matched the paperback. It has quite the effect in person.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bull3964 posted:

Again, it's about what it's not bringing to the game. It's a 19% shorter device while keeping the same screen size. If you don't care about a smaller size, fine. Everyone I've shown it to so far has said ereaders have finally matched the paperback. It has quite the effect in person.

I've picked one up, and it's fine. But, it's one of those things where it didn't wow me. When I went Kindle 2 to Kindle 3, I was pleasantly surprised, but it just wasn't a big deal. That's the way this is. The current gen readers are all light, thin and ergonomic. Smaller just isn't a leap forward for me. Losing the keyboard just isn't something I care about, and I don't want a touch screen, so it's just a net bleh to me.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Are there any "smart" covers for the Kindle or Nook, like they have for the iPad? I want to protect the screen from scratches and fractures (corner of something in my bag hitting it, but I don't want to add bulk.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's perfectly fine. There really won't be a clear revolution in devices until color eInk comes out and the past two generations have just been about refining the design. What's nice is they are cheap enough now that upgrading over personal preference is trivial.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

torgeaux posted:

Like I said, to each his own, I just haven't heard any advantage yet to the touch screen, but see several disadvantages.

What's the disadvantage of having a touch screen? If you don't want to use it, it doesn't take up any extra space, unlike the keyboard on the Kindle.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

torgeaux posted:

As for turning the page exactly how I do with a real book? Yeah, that's one of the many advantages an ereader has over a real book. I can read one handed, same hand holding book also turning pages. Can't do that without the buttons, though. I don't wonder that the new readers are great, and smaller. I just wonder about the touch screen being seen as an advantage, when for my purposes it's an obvious zero added value (assuming physical buttons to turn pages). The keyboard on the kindle is useful when I need it, not a factor when I don't. Like I said, to each his own, I just haven't heard any advantage yet to the touch screen, but see several disadvantages.

For me, the touch screen is bringing to the game the ability to run unmodified 3rd party applications that expect an Android device to have a touch screen. Specifically, Aldiko and it's directory management. That's the #1 reason I'm excited about the Nook, I like the freedom to do what I want with the device I own. Whether or not that freedom was designed in or not (And in the case of the Nook Color I'd say it was.) is immaterial to the ability to do it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Man, Amazon's support really is great. I just got around to calling about the hairline fracture in the lower left corner of the bezel that's been there for most of the 9 months I've had my kindle 3, and has been slowly getting longer over time, and as soon as I started explaining the damage the CSR started apologizing profusely and arranged a replacement that should be here by Tuesday at the latest. I've never been able to replace a piece of electronics with any kind of physical damage without getting the third degree.

Thanks, Amazon. Give me something more like the nook's new form factor with the Kindle 4, and I'll come back for sure.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mnemosyne posted:

What's the disadvantage of having a touch screen? If you don't want to use it, it doesn't take up any extra space, unlike the keyboard on the Kindle.

It's almost impossible to turn pages accidentally on my kindle. It uses electricity. Any time I want to use a keyboard, I put fingerprints on my reading surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
I'd say that the touch screen on the original nook was pretty much a waste and was only there to differentiate the nook from the kindle. but man the new e-ink touchscreen thing works really well, which i think is mostly a result of it have plenty of processing power underneath.