Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

blaarghh posted:

I don't own a dryer, I hang them on the line...could that be the cause, maybe? It's weird though because I know tons of people who line dry their clothes and I'm the only one it happens to.
I drew a crap diagram of what I mean:

The side seams kind of end up twisting round on the lower half of the shirt, with one going on the front and one on the back. And I don't think I'm lopsided, at least I've never been called lopsided before :confused:

Wash those in those cotton mesh bags. I don't know if that's the solution but it's worth a shot. That's what mine are washed in and I haven't had that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

randyest posted:

You're looking for "defemenize.".
This would be it. "Defeminize" would be the removal of femininity.

Ridonkulous posted:

this is what emasculate means and with the word "masculate" being derived from masculine I have assumed their is a feminine version of the word, but effeminate does not mean the opposite of emasculate.
Emasculation was the removal of the cock and balls. What you would be metaphorically lopping off in the opposite case isn't clear, and there's a good shot that some conceptual removal of femininity would imply the addition of masculinity, given the binary perceptions of gender in Western society.

Also "effeminate" isn't the opposite of "emasculate" because the former is an adjective and the latter is a verb.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

cosmicjim posted:

There's already plenty of eating size people. I'm not starting from scratch. Though, I shouldn't have said long term. Eventually, I will run out of people to eat, since if cannibalism is the only food source the population can only shrink.
It's the longest way to prolong inevitable demise based on current technology.

Don't eat the brain or any part of the spinal cord/nervous system or else you could get Kuru!

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

blaarghh posted:

I don't own a dryer, I hang them on the line...could that be the cause, maybe? It's weird though because I know tons of people who line dry their clothes and I'm the only one it happens to.
I drew a crap diagram of what I mean:

The side seams kind of end up twisting round on the lower half of the shirt, with one going on the front and one on the back. And I don't think I'm lopsided, at least I've never been called lopsided before :confused:

I don't know exactly why it happens or how to prevent it but I wanted you to know that this happens to me too. And I agree that it's a seriously annoying issue to deal with. Do you wash with hot water? The reason I ask is that I use a clothes dryer and I always figured the twisting seams was a product of that process, but you line dry.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

TetsuoTW posted:

Emasculation was the removal of the cock and balls.

You can emasculate a male without making him a eunuch. It covers shaming by or preventing of duties that demonstrate maleness as well. It is going to vary by society, but it could be anything from being proven physically weaker than a woman; to caring for a child while your wife works; to not being able to stop a group of soldiers from raping and killing your wife and daughters while you are forced to watch.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

You can emasculate a male without making him a eunuch. It covers shaming by or preventing of duties that demonstrate maleness as well. It is going to vary by society, but it could be anything from being proven physically weaker than a woman; to caring for a child while your wife works; to not being able to stop a group of soldiers from raping and killing your wife and daughters while you are forced to watch.
"Was the removal of the cock and balls." The figurative sense of the word built out from that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What's the name of the island in the Indian Ocean where the indigenous people have had zero contact with the rest of the world, because they kill anyone who tries to go there?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

stubblyhead posted:

What's the name of the island in the Indian Ocean where the indigenous people have had zero contact with the rest of the world, because they kill anyone who tries to go there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island

This one?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Yup, that's them. Thanks!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

There's been an on-again, off-again argument on Wikipedia about if they should be added to the list of "Partially or Unrecognized Countries", since no country recognizes them as being independent from India, except (we assume) them. But we have to assume because anyone who gets close enough to ask gets speared.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
Romanian speakers! I need your help!

I'm preparing to implement some music into a short film I'm doing.

Some of you may know Disparition (a goon music project). He released an album called 1989, which has some sound clips from the Romanian revolution.

http://disparition.info/discography/1989-2

His site.

I really like his music, asked to use it in the film, and he said yes. I'm excited to use it, but I want to make sure what's being said in Romanian on the tracks I like is appropriate for the mood of my own work.

I've tried e-mailing him, but he seems extremely busy and I can't wait any longer.

The songs I need translations for are:

Papers
Libertăţii
Salvării

If the voices are impossible to translate, please let me know that as well! If SOME of the words can be translated OR are significant to the Romanian revolution OR easily recognizable speeches/broadcasts, let me know this as well!

Keep in mind that his albums are free to download, I'm not trying to screw him over, I just want to make absolutely certain I don't insult the integrity of his own work or mine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Eyeball posted:

And I have a clothing-related question of my own. I wear a button-up shirt with a tie and slacks to work, but my job involves a fairly constant level of physical activity that most people wearing business attire don't really have to deal with. My shirt comes untucked constantly. Is there any solution to this that doesn't involve me shoving my hands down my pants every ten minutes?

This is what we use in the Marine Corps:

(they also come in a variety that clips to the top of your socks, but those are less comfortable.)

There's also some sort of thing that goes around your waistband inside your pants, but over your shirt that's got rubber grippy nubs, but I don't have any experience with that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

For questions specific to rewards, I would try this thread instead.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252512

I don’t contribute to it because while I’m not personally opposed to credit cards or reward programs, and it is nice to get a little something back, I’m a loan officer and I notice that people get in trouble when they have the mentality of getting something form nothing, and they outsmart themselves trying to maximize the usage of a dozen separate cards. The whole thing seems flim-flamey to me. In your case, it’s cool since your company is paying for it all. Also, I would rather you use one company card that they are liable for rather than your own personal cards that you are liable for. People have been stuck when for whatever reason their company doesn’t or can’t pay them back.

To be clear, I'm talking about hotel/airline loyalty program rewards, not credit card rewards. Not accumulating them if you're going to be staying there more then 2-3 nights/year is just stupid.

Think Frequent Flyer Miles, not Amex Bucks.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 12, 2011

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Ridonkulous posted:

What is the feminine version of emasculate. Or a word that means to deprive of feminine vigor.

For animals it is "spay".

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is anyone else seeing tons of "Learn Chinese in China" ads for the Hutong School everywhere now?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks, Hooah. Are those stirrups for your feet on the bottom end? That seems like it would be really weird to wear, but I might be able to modify it into something useful. Do you know what they're called?

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB
How do I see Stereograms? I've tried "looking behind the screen" (or "through the holes" if it has them) which is all anyone tells me to do (internet and real life) but all I can do is blur the image. On rare occasions I've managed to converge the holes but still see nothing.

There is no goddamn duck here:

(I can only make the horizontal and diagonal patterns pop out)

Pretty much everyone else I know can see them and I'm convinced they're all just breaking my balls. I do have some vision problems (one majorly dominant eye), but that shouldn't preclude me from seeing it, right?

Telemarchitect fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 12, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Telemarchitect posted:

How do I see Stereograms?

I do have some vision problems (one majorly dominant eye), but that shouldn't preclude me from seeing it, right?

Yes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Telemarchitect posted:

I clearly see a rubber duckie.

I'm not sure how I can explain how I do it. I had tons of Magic Eye books as a kid, and my mom could always see them, but I was pretty bad at them back then. It took years of practice, but now I can instantly look at one of those images and see the hidden shape and I have no idea how I do it.

But I can tell you what happens to those dots when I see it: They don't converge into one, instead they split and the two center dots converge, so what I see is:

● ● ●

Here's a tip: If you're wearing glasses, take them off. I can't do it with my glasses on.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
It's actually a lot easier for me to look somewhere in the middle of the image and let my eyes do the rest. Looking at the dots is a bit tougher because one goes above the other for some reason.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

Telemarchitect posted:

Most advice people give for stereograms is bullshit. I mean, "look behind the screen"? Really?

The easiest way to do it is to cross your eyes, and then slowly uncross them until the dots match up into three (you'll be focusing on the one in the middle). Keep staring at the middle dot and let your eyes adjust, and things should come into focus.

You may need to tilt your head to the correct angle throughout this process (this is important).

Try something easy first, like this one. Make the two photos match up into one, and let your eyes adjust. If you can't do it with this, you'll never be able to do it with the rubber ducky.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

a computer posted:

If you can't do it with this, you'll never be able to do it with the rubber ducky.

Bullshit. Strain as I may, I could never, ever do anything with those double-image stereograms, yet the Magic Eye stuff comes naturally to me.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Mak0rz posted:

Bullshit. Strain as I may, I could never, ever do anything with those double-image stereograms, yet the Magic Eye stuff comes naturally to me.

Yup. Best I can do is make three distinct pictures with the double image ones, but Magic Eye stuff is easy-peasy.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

It's exactly the same principle, man. I don't know what to tell you.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

a computer posted:

It's exactly the same principle, man. I don't know what to tell you.
The depth is reverse in cross-eyed ones compared to Magic Eye-type ones.

To get the Magic Eye type of one, I find that sometimes you have to get everything overlapping, then sort of scan around the image and see what looks "different," like it's popping out a little, then just chill and let it come to you. Some of them are loving hard though.

a computer posted:

Most advice people give for stereograms is bullshit. I mean, "look behind the screen"? Really?
It's poorly phrased, but the idea is sound - for Magic Eye images, you need to sort of "detach" your focus and instead of going cross-eyed, effectively go slightly wall-eyed.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 12, 2011

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

That's probably why my rubber ducky receded into the screen. I neglected to mention that.

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB

TetsuoTW posted:

To get the Magic Eye type of one, I find that sometimes you have to get everything overlapping, then sort of scan around the image and see what looks "different," like it's popping out a little, then just chill and let it come to you. Some of them are loving hard though.

It's poorly phrased, but the idea is sound - for Magic Eye images, you need to sort of "detach" your focus and instead of going cross-eyed, effectively go slightly wall-eyed.

Some people are telling me to go cross eyed, others are telling me to go wall eyed. Do both work? Because I can go wall eyed better than I can go cross eyed.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Telemarchitect posted:

Some people are telling me to go cross eyed, others are telling me to go wall eyed. Do both work? Because I can go wall eyed better than I can go cross eyed.
For a Magic Eye thing like the one you posted, go wall-eyed. That'll give you the better result for those. Both do work, but like a computer said, the image will recede rather than pop if you go cross-eyed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Eyeball posted:

Thanks, Hooah. Are those stirrups for your feet on the bottom end? That seems like it would be really weird to wear, but I might be able to modify it into something useful. Do you know what they're called?

Yeah, they go around your feet. I prefer them because the other kind can become detached from your socks from time to time and snap you in the leg/balls. Either kind is just called "shirt stays."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It depends on how the image was set up, both of them seem equally common in my experience (with both magic eye random patterns and side-by-side images).

gcbirzan
Jun 6, 2011

Fiction D posted:

The songs I need translations for are:

Papers
Libertăţii
Salvării

If the voices are impossible to translate, please let me know that as well! If SOME of the words can be translated OR are significant to the Romanian revolution OR easily recognizable speeches/broadcasts, let me know this as well!

Papers, for one, isn't a word in Romanian. And the only voices I could hear on that are so hard to understand that I cannot be sure it's Romanian, let alone translate them, so I'm sorry, but I can't help there.

Libertatii means "Freedom's". It starts off with a speech, I can assume either from the Revolution itself, of from June 1990, can't say for sure which, but judging by the theme of the album, I'd for the former. Can't really understand a lot of it (I'm absolutely terrible with understanding things with background noise :(, so if you have the original recording or at least have any idea who the speaker was), but (ah, I'll replace words I don't understand with *):

* civil (as in civilised, not rude) * because a lot of people want to speak here (from here would be a more accurate translation, from the balcony or whatever the guy was in when addressing the crowd) * to prove now, more than ever, that we are, as we said before, civil * (I think this bit is just a repeat of an earlier bit, but the music is too loud for me to be sure) civil *

The chanting at the end means freedom.

Salvarii can either mean "Ambulance's" or "Redemption's". This was easier, as I recognised the speaker and was able to find his speech transcribed: http://mariusmioc.wordpress.com/200...a-militara-vo/. Based on this, I'd say the name means Redemption (or Rescue, as the Wikipedia article says), because Iliescu went on to create FSN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Salvation_Front_%28Romania%29), which ended up winning the elections straight after. The bulk of the speech starts from "Fac apel", but has some stuff I can't understand and then "esteemed comrades, friends and fellow citizens" (the first few words of Iliescu's bit in that video/transcript), then goes on (the speech is rather disjointed and lacks a lot of verbs, prepositions, and meaning, I tried to translate it as best I could without actually fixing the grammar)

I ask, it's a quarter to three now, around five o'clock at the Central Comittee to have those responsible that can help in this constructive action that we need to start as early as today. Including those 6 (he's talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_the_Six) Party Militants that proved their patriotism, who spoke to the country, who appealed to lucity and to Ceausescu, he proved incapable of this, other same militants as there are.

There are representatives of the people at the Central Comittee. I spoke on the phone with room number one (I am no expert in this, I was 6 at the time, but I'm guessing this was Ceausescu's office). Wasn't there anymore, there was no number one, not the secretary or the secretariat of that person. A comrade Luca answered, I don't know who the poor guy is, he told me that he and a few others that are part of a national comittee are there. He asked for my name, I told him who I was, but the man didn't know me, so I couldn't establish a dialogue.
Someone in the background says: He will know you (soon).

gcbirzan fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 12, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Telemarchitect posted:

Pretty much everyone else I know can see them and I'm convinced they're all just breaking my balls. I do have some vision problems (one majorly dominant eye), but that shouldn't preclude me from seeing it, right?

I was really awesome with stereograms when I was 13 or so. But when I was 14, I had retinal hemorrhaging in my right eye and my vision there has been poo poo ever since. I can still see things like this, not awesomely but I can do it, but I think only because I was so good at seeing them before the problem started. If you're starting now, it might be pretty difficult.

And to echo what others have said - try both crossing your eyes and forcing them apart. I'm much better at the latter but magic eye stuff has always looked "sunken" because of that. I just did the crosseye thing for the first time and was amazed that they're actually supposed to pop out of the page, rather than sink in to!

Golbez fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 12, 2011

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is there any way, whether through either an official or a third party channel, to receive email notifications when new posts are made in a thread?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
How much is a pack of cigarettes these days in southern California?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

stubblyhead posted:

How much is a pack of cigarettes these days in southern California?

what brand? I think mine are like 5/pack for marb 72's. I'm up north a bit though. I'm sure pall mall or virginia slims are cheaper.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

gcbirzan posted:

translation

You've taken a massive burder off of my shoulders. Thank you so much for helping me out in translating these pieces. I really, really can't thank you enough.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Anyone have experience with textured faux brick wallpaper, like http://amzn.to/iHpeeF ? Does it actually look good?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

2508084 posted:

what brand? I think mine are like 5/pack for marb 72's. I'm up north a bit though. I'm sure pall mall or virginia slims are cheaper.

Some discount brand, I forget the name. I ask because my aunt is a heavy smoker and is starting to lose her mental faculties. My parents are trying to get her poo poo sorted out and she's spending large sums of money at the corner store on cigarettes and soda. My mom thinks they are taking advantage of her, but after I told her that even the lovely brands are like $7 a pack where I live, she's not so sure. I know the price varies quite a bit due to state taxes, and was hoping that they were comparable in Cali.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

stubblyhead posted:

Some discount brand, I forget the name. I ask because my aunt is a heavy smoker and is starting to lose her mental faculties. My parents are trying to get her poo poo sorted out and she's spending large sums of money at the corner store on cigarettes and soda. My mom thinks they are taking advantage of her, but after I told her that even the lovely brands are like $7 a pack where I live, she's not so sure. I know the price varies quite a bit due to state taxes, and was hoping that they were comparable in Cali.

Why don't you just call a Chevron in your aunt's city and ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Eyeball posted:

And I have a clothing-related question of my own. I wear a button-up shirt with a tie and slacks to work, but my job involves a fairly constant level of physical activity that most people wearing business attire don't really have to deal with. My shirt comes untucked constantly. Is there any solution to this that doesn't involve me shoving my hands down my pants every ten minutes?

My husband has a couple pairs of slacks that have a rubbery grippy strip inside the waistband that goes all the way around to hold the shirt in. He says it works really well.