Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

dramaticddt.wordpress.com posted:

Kota Ibushi has claimed his (and possibly DDT’s) greatest achievement to date by becoming to first wrestler outside of New Japan to win the Best Of The Super Jr. tournament. Ibushi survived a rocky start to defeat such established names as Mascara Dorada, TAKA Michinoku, Gedo, The Great Sasuke, Jushin Liger and Davey Richards (Hey! Stop laughing down at the back!) so he could reach the final to face the man who defeated him on the very first night of the tour, Ryusuke Taguchi. The situation brought back memories of one year ago when deep into his grand final match against Prince Devitt, a Firebird Splash gone wrong seriously injured Ibushi’s shoulder and killed his chance at winning the tournament. Without any hesitations, Ibushi was able to use the Firebird Splash to win most of his matches in the group stages. But in the final, Ibushi went one better and pinned Taguchi in 20 minutes with the Phoenix Splash.

Ibushi was presented with the trophy by Milano Collection AT and he also received the winner’s cheque of ¥500 million. During his backstage interview, Ibushi said it is his dream to become the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion and he has challenged Prince Devitt to a IWGP Jr. Title match for 18/6 in Osaka. He was then joined by Kenny Omega, Daisuke Sasaki, Michael Nakazawa & Yukinori Matsui for a celebration. Michael brought along beer for a toast but Ibushi drank a can of cola instead. When asked about what he wants to spend his prize winnings on, Ibushi couldn’t think of anything. He was happy enough to win the trophy.

For Kenny Omega it was a case of so close, yet so far. After an explosive run that at Kenny’s peak saw him winning his first five matches, he then dropped falls to his remaining opponents Prince Devitt, Jado and Davey Richards who slipped through to the semi-finals at Kenny’s expense. He managed to grab a win back for his final match of the tour, a Six-Man opening tag match that also included Daisuke Sasaki.

It's fantastic to see Ibushi finally win the Super J Cup. He's been one of the most versatile high fliers, ever and is always entertaining. Some day, people will look at Ibushi the same way they do Lyger, Sasuke, and Hayabusa. He's one of the most talented guys in wrestling today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American Clamdigger
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah, and some day people will look at KENTA the same way they do Kenta Kobashi or Mitsuharu Misawa.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

American Clamdigger posted:

Yeah, and some day people will look at KENTA the same way they do Kenta Kobashi or Mitsuharu Misawa.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. KENTA is legit one of the most popular younger guys in Japan right now though.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
That prize money surely cant be right. $6.2 million??

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

MrMondayNight posted:

That prize money surely cant be right. $6.2 million??
Not exactly that much, it's just kayfabe'd up. He did win a really large sum of money though. I've heard large Japanese promotions pay their guys the same way Pro Sports pay their athletes here.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I thought there was no loving money any more and you get payed by seniority rather than card position.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

What's the difference between a Firebird and Phoenix Splash?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm sure it was 500,000 yen, MAYBE 5 million.

weekly font posted:

Firebird = 450
Phoenix = 450, but with a twist because you start out facing the other way

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

weekly font posted:

The Firebird Splash was just what Hayabusa called his 450 Splash. It's the same move Justin Gabriel uses.

The Phoenix Splash was innovated by Hayabusa, it begins with them facing away from their opponent and they turn in mid-air, then complete a 450 Splash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fzioq0ZzzA&feature=related

You can tell how big of a fan Kota Ibushi was of guys like Sasuke, Lyger, and Hayabusa. Most of his signature moves are directly taken from them, or inspired by them.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

July 23 in Osaka.

Kobashi returns.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

HulkaMatt posted:

July 23 in Osaka.

Kobashi returns.

Yeah. That really sucks, in my opinion.

I mean, hooray Kobashi and everything but the man is shot. Sad, sad, sad.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

July 23 in Osaka.

Kobashi returns.
Did he chop his arm pain into submission?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Flameingblack posted:

Did he chop his arm pain into submission?

He's too immobile to do it himself anymore, so he called over Kenskee to do it for him.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
One would hope that after a year and a half off, it means he's actually ready to return. Unlike in '09 when he clearly rushed it.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
2 years ago today, June 13, 2009, Mitsuharu Misawa died in the ring.

It still feels like yesterday.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm hopeful that Kobashi is in a position (especially in light of Misawa's death) that he's only coming back because he KNOWS he's fully fit and rehabbed. That would make me happy :)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ok thanks. I knew what a Phoenix Splash was I just didn't know Firebird was a synonym for 450.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Jerusalem posted:

I'm hopeful that Kobashi is in a position (especially in light of Misawa's death) that he's only coming back because he KNOWS he's fully fit and rehabbed. That would make me happy :)
In theory, nothing is wrong with Kobashi that's life-threatening.

In theory...

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
NJPW put up Devitt-Omega from this year's BOSJ on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lyQSFoXo48

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ditch posted:

In theory, nothing is wrong with Kobashi that's life-threatening.

In theory...

If he simply takes no bumps and just walks around chopping dudes in tag and trios match for the rest of his days I'll be perfectly happy.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Raffles posted:

If he simply takes no bumps and just walks around chopping dudes in tag and trios match for the rest of his days I'll be perfectly happy.

Didn't he injure his arm last time precisely because he did that? Just chopping over and over without putting any thought in put an enormous strain on his arm.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Wazzu posted:

Didn't he injure his arm last time precisely because he did that? Just chopping over and over without putting any thought in put an enormous strain on his arm.

Hopefully he now has bionic arms.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Wazzu posted:

Yeah, and Nigel McGuinuess injured his bicep the same exact way, but with a bunch of lariats.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Posted without comment:
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k595/HoldOutSun/o0353050011253065481.jpg

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lloyd Boner posted:

NJPW put up Devitt-Omega from this year's BOSJ on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lyQSFoXo48

Pro click. Watch this right now.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I know it's pretty much his gimmick, but I'm always amazed at how Kenny Omega seems to move like a video game character.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

weekly font posted:

Pro click. Watch this right now.
"LET'S GO DEVITT! *clap clap clapclapclap*"

Oh god, somehow an American indy crowd had the wrong tickets and ended up at a New Japan show. In fairness, the "American indy" vibe (or maybe more specifically "ROH") of the match, crowd and 'craziness with the table, ladder, and chair' alike, helped me get into this.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
I'm watching a Dragon Gate DVD at the moment (Best of Wrestle JAM volume 1) and there's a three way ladder match between Jack Evans, Genki Horiguchi & Akira Tozawa.

I only know Tozawa from CHIKARA and he looks completely different, to the point I don't recognise him. Can anyone confirm he is the same guy, and the Tozawa name isn't just a gimmick they pass on.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

apsouthern posted:

I'm watching a Dragon Gate DVD at the moment (Best of Wrestle JAM volume 1) and there's a three way ladder match between Jack Evans, Genki Horiguchi & Akira Tozawa.

I only know Tozawa from CHIKARA and he looks completely different, to the point I don't recognise him. Can anyone confirm he is the same guy, and the Tozawa name isn't just a gimmick they pass on.

He's had a lot of drastic attire changes. Does he have black hair here?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

apsouthern posted:

This a joke, AP, or are you being serious? Either way, yep, it was the same Tozawa, not a gimmick they swap around.

He was once pretty drat fat, as well.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

KungFu Grip posted:

He's had a lot of drastic attire changes. Does he have black hair here?

Yeah, and wrestles in black trousers. Seems to be in some kind of quasi-fascist stable (but it's Japan so... you know)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There was:
1. Young lion Tozawa
2. Joke gimmick Tozawa-Juku (2006-2007)
3. Fat Tozawa
4. Tozawa in Kamikaze, which started in ~2008 and went through a few weeks ago when he turned heel

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

apsouthern posted:

Yeah, and wrestles in black trousers. Seems to be in some kind of quasi-fascist stable (but it's Japan so... you know)

I'd assume that's the gimmick where he was supposed to be a high school delinquent/yanki.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

This a joke, AP, or are you being serious? Either way, yep, it was the same Tozawa, not a gimmick they swap around.

He was once pretty drat fat, as well.

Not a joke, I was just amazed how different he looked. I'm not overly familiar with Japanese wrestling or Japanese names so I thought it might have even been a similar situation to Matt Striker & Matt Stryker and it was just a common name.

The more you know etc...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

I'd assume that's the gimmick where he was supposed to be a high school delinquent/yanki.
Think Kenka Bancho or ouendan.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

apsouthern posted:

The first Japanese match I'd watched in years durring my wrestling resurgence was Danshoku Dino vs Akira Tozawa in what was dubbed in YouTube as "Extremely Gay Pro Wrestling Match" and it absolutely blew my mind a couple weeks ago that Akira Tozawa was the same one I'd just seen in PWG and CHIKARA.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2011/06/17/puroresu-pulse-issue-197-all-japan-turmoil/

Hey look! A new column! By some guy!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Dominion Results, spoilered for people who don't wanna know.

quote:

NJPW “DOMINION 6.18″, 6/18/11 (WPW/PPV)
Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
6,200 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

1. Koji Kanemoto beat Hiromu Takahashi (3:04) with a single-leg crab hold.
2. Jado, Gedo & Brian Kendrick TNA Wrestling beat Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & KUSHIDA (8:33) when Kendrick used the Sliced Bread #2 on KUSHIDA.
3. CMLL World Welterweight Title: Mascara Dorada beat Ryusuke Taguchi (c) (8:26) by pinfall to become the 26th champion.
4. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Yuji Nagata & Wataru Inoue beat Takashi Iizuka, Masato Tanaka ZERO1 & Tomohiro Ishii (9:12) when Nagata used a backdrop hold on Ishii.
5. Special Singles Match: Yujiro Takahashi beat Tetsuya Naito (11:12) with the Tokyo Pimps.
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi Dramatic Dream Team beat Prince Devitt (c) (13:49) with a Firebird splash to become the 61st champion.
7. Special Tag Match: Minoru Suzuki & Lance Archer beat Togi Makabe & Satoshi Kojima (12:39) when Suzuki used a Gotch-style piledriver on Kojima.
8. IWGP Intercontinental Title: MVP (c) beat Toru Yano (10:50) by pinfall (1st defense).
9. Double Title Match – IWGP Tag Team Title & GHC Tag Team Title: Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson (c) beat Yoshihiro Takayama & Takuma Sano Pro Wrestling NOAH (c) (12:03) when Bernard used the Bernard Driver on Sano (8th defense) to become the 22nd GHC Tag Team Champions.
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) beat Hirooki Goto (25:28) with the High Fly Flow (5th defense).

* TNA Wrestling’s Brian Kendrick, who became popular in Japan earlier in the 2000s as Spanky in ZERO-ONE, made a surprise appearance in the second match in the place of Killer Rabbit, teaming with Jado & Gedo.
* AKIRA returned to his old haunt after the fourth match to continue his feud with Iizuka from TAJIRI’s SMASH promotion. After the same match, Mitsuhide Hirasawa made his long awaited return to Japan, surprisingly betraying his Blue Justice mentor Nagata and possibly (awaiting confirmaiton) joining CHAOS!
* Yujiro drew first blood in what is likely to be a lengthy grudge feud with former NO LIMIT partner Naito, and Naito was gang attacked after the match before Honma made the save.
* Best of the Super Jr. winner, Kota Ibushi, ended Prince Devitt’s one year reign as IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion in an emotional match.
* Bad Intentions make history twice over with one three count, smashing Chono & Tenzan’s IWGP Tag Team Title defense record while at the same time taking the GHC Tag Team Title from NOAH to become double champions. Bernard & Anderson cement themselves as one of the most dominant teams in Japanese tag wrestling history.
* Tanahashi retained the IWGP Heavyweight Title over Goto in what is being called an epic match. Goto came closer than ever to winning the title that has eluded him so far but disappointingly still wasn’t able to surpass Tanahashi and the wait continues. After making history in the match beforehand, Giant Bernard appeared after the match and challenged Tanahashi! If this is realized, Bernard has the chance to become a 3-crown champion.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
So is Inoki's bootleg allstar show for charity or is he a completely irredeemable shithead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I have yet to see any sign that it's a charity show. That thing is going to BOMB.