Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
From the spoilers, what exactly is a Gotch-style piledriver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrMondayNight posted:

From the spoilers, what exactly is a Gotch-style piledriver?

My very first thought was that it must be in reference to Frank Gotch but I don't think he was particularly known for piledrivers.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Cradle piledriver.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Happy for Anderson/Bernard.

Interesting to see Lance Archers name... anywhere.

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008

Theshby posted:

So is Inoki's bootleg allstar show for charity or is he a completely irredeemable shithead?

Wait, what is this? It's the first I've heard of it. Also, is it going to bomb simply because everything Inoki touches these days turns to poo poo or is there some other reason?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Inoki's motley crew would be lucky to draw 6000 legit on its own. Directly against a supershow, FOR CHARITY, it will be a disaster.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ditch posted:

Inoki's motley crew would be lucky to draw 6000 legit on its own. Directly against a supershow, FOR CHARITY, it will be a disaster.

But why is he doing this? Has he said anything, tried to justify running opposition to a charity show?

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Jerusalem posted:

My very first thought was that it must be in reference to Frank Gotch but I don't think he was particularly known for piledrivers.

Yeah my mind went exactly the same route as yours. Odd they would use his name to describe the move rather than just saying "Cradle piledriver" like Ditch did.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It's named for Karl Gotch.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

But why is he doing this? Has he said anything, tried to justify running opposition to a charity show?
Because the charity show is the 2nd biggest show of the year and he's trying to ride its coattails like the big-chinned jerkoff he is.

Lloyd Boner posted:

It's named for Karl Gotch.
And as for why this is, I have no idea.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Inoki is crazy. Like he might punch someone in the face because he heard a voice in his head crazy. I suspect the Yakuza may have replaced his brain with Hitlers.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ditch posted:

And as for why this is, I have no idea.

Karl Gotch used to use it. Or at least a form of it that was later simplified.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Lloyd Boner posted:

NJPW put up Devitt-Omega from this year's BOSJ on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lyQSFoXo48

I posted this match on twitter and Devitt replied to me with his own, rather honest, description of the match

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
BOSJ shows, first couple up so far:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bootaaay

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
July 10th. Inoki Genome.

Josh Barnett vs Bobby Lashley

:psyduck:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Should be an unforgettable classic.

Hopefully Barnett brings the beer and Lashley brings the burgers.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
So if Lashley beats Barnett in a wrestling match, does he get Barnett's spot in the Strikeforce tournament?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

So if Lashley beats Barnett in a wrestling match, does he get Barnett's spot in the Strikeforce tournament?

No but if Barnett beats Lashley he gets Lashley's guaranteed title shot in TNA.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

No but if Barnett beats Lashley he gets Lashley's guaranteed title shot in TNA.

Which one?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

KungFu Grip posted:

Which one?

All of them.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So kind of surprisingly Hailey Hatred won the J-1 Grand Prix and beat Leon to become the new JWP Openweight Champion. Good for her, she's probably ecstatic.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Suben posted:

So kind of surprisingly Hailey Hatred won the J-1 Grand Prix and beat Leon to become the new JWP Openweight Champion. Good for her, she's probably ecstatic.

She looks reasonably chuffed

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
IVPVideos has a DVD sale of $1.25 each. Hard to go wrong at that price.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Ditch posted:

Oh man, those prices and me without any money. :(

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ditch posted:

I went to the site: https://www.ivpvideos.com, and I'm not seeing any info on a sale?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Email the guy. He posted it at DVDVR.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Went to DVDR, here's what the dude posted.

quote:

I am selling anything on the IVPvideos.com site for the ultra low price of $1.25 a disc. Please note that this does not include thermal printing and you will have to order a minimum of five discs. This is the lowest price you will ever find IVPvideos.com discs from me. Shipping will be $5 in the U.S no matter how many discs you order and out of the country orders will be judged on a case by case basis.

Email me at IVPvideosdotcom@gmail.com with your list. PLEASE include the item number with the list because that is how I find the discs to make them.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Ditch posted:

Email the guy. He posted it at DVDVR.

Welp, that's ridiculous, time to buy. As a person who enjoys a bit of everything, do you think you can recommend 10 DVDs in categories of:

DDT
Classic AJPW or NJPW
Modern AJPW, NOAH or NJPW
BJW
Modern Joshi

Huge ask, but I have no loving clue what makes one show much better than another.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am so going to buy AJPW TV episodes from Misawa unmasking onwards.

Huge Ghost
Jun 26, 2007

a lil' horse
I too was wondering if you (Ditch) could recommend some things from IVP. Specifically stuff from like 80's AJPW and early Michinoku Pro, if you could that'd be really sweet.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Bloody hell. I promised myself I wasn't going to buy any wrestling DVDs for the next couple of weeks and now I've somehow sent the guy an email asking for UK postage costs for 27 discs...

edit: turns out postage to the UK is pretty reasonable too so thanks to you lot I've now got a shedload more wrestling to try and catch up on

code:
Puroresu DVD Sampler
Best of Kings of Wrestling V.1 (IVP Custom Comp)
Best of Kings of Wrestling V.2 (IVP Custom Comp)
Best of Chris Hero (2 Discs) (IVP Custom Comp)
Best of Kota Ibushi (IVP Custom Comp)
Best of Kota Ibushi V.2 (3 Discs)
Best of Dynamite Kid (2 Discs)
Calgary Stu Harts 50th Anniversary Show
666 01/17/2010 January 17th 2010
666 03/07/2010 March 7th 2010
Best of Matt Sydal (IVP Custom Comp)
Ice Ribbon 01/15/2011 January 15th 2011
Best of American Dragon in NOAH (2 Discs) (IVP Custom Comp)
Best of William Regal (2 Discs) IVP Custom Comp
Best of Ebessan
Best of Great Sasuke (IVP/Buythematch.com custom comp)
Best of Hayabusa V.1
Best of Nigel McGuinness (IVP Custom Comp)
Best of Nigel McGuinness V.2 (IVP Custom Comp)
Best of Sarah Stock V.01
Best of Spanky

apsouthern fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 29, 2011

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
666 Wrestling, Ebessan and Kota Ibushi. Good man. I hope the Ebessan DVD includes vs Kana and vs Necro Butcher, those were hilarious.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Hell of a list, AP, gonna get several you have listed.

I just want to reiterate, he wants you to add the item number of each DVD you order.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Hell of a list, AP, gonna get several you have listed.

I just want to reiterate, he wants you to add the item number of each DVD you order.

Cheers, and I added the item numbers when I emailed the guy. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to Japanese wrestling so I figured if I buy "Best of's" by people I know and already like I can use those to introduce their opponents to me. Oh, and I have an undying love and affection for William Regal

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

apsouthern posted:

Cheers, and I added the item numbers when I emailed the guy. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to Japanese wrestling so I figured if I buy "Best of's" by people I know and already like I can use those to introduce their opponents to me. Oh, and I have an undying love and affection for William Regal

I'm actually apeing most of your list :) Hopefully I can get Suben's attention so he can tell me what Joshi I need to order.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Christian Dinosaur posted:

I too was wondering if you (Ditch) could recommend some things from IVP. Specifically stuff from like 80's AJPW and early Michinoku Pro, if you could that'd be really sweet.
He's not someone to go to for '80s AJ. He's got it, but the VQ is weak.

Early MPro, get the Best of Michinoku Pro 12 disc set. Goes through early '98 and gives you all the classics.

Wazzu posted:

Welp, that's ridiculous, time to buy. As a person who enjoys a bit of everything, do you think you can recommend 10 DVDs in categories of:

DDT
Classic AJPW or NJPW
Modern AJPW, NOAH or NJPW
BJW
Modern Joshi

Huge ask, but I have no loving clue what makes one show much better than another.
-I don't like modern joshi.
-As I mention above, AJ/NJ classics aren't something to get from him
-Modern NJ: G-1 Climax 2002, 2003 and 2004 all have a good diversity of styles
-Modern AJ: I think their strongest period post-split was October 2000 through October 2002. Kawada, Tenryu, Fuchi, Kojima and more were tearing it up. Not sure if any specific show stands out.
-NOAH: July 10th 2004, July 18th 2005, August 19th 2005, September 18th 2005, November 5th 2005
-Big Japan: Depends on if you're more into deathmatches, Sekimoto, or both. There's a series of comps that often have several good DMs per disc but nothing else.
-DDT: April 1, 2007 (he lists it as April 12), the disc labeled 04/23/2009 & 04/30/2009, disc labeled 08/27/2009 & 09/03/2009

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I'm actually apeing most of your list :) Hopefully I can get Suben's attention so he can tell me what Joshi I need to order.

For modern stuff you can't go terribly wrong with Sendai Girls by all accounts. Uh, looking around the NEO/JWP 9/25/06 show (under JWP) seems like it wouldn't be too bad if only for the UematsuRan vs. Yoneyama/Leon match which is pretty awesome and the Toyota vs. Hyuga match is pretty good too. And Tamura vs. Nagashima is a pretty good match as well from what I remember. Emi/Yoneyama vs. the Neo Machine Guns might be alright too because 3 of the 4 participants are pretty good (the other is Tanny Mouse).

For the rest... I'd assume the wrestler-specific Best Of comps are good. And maybe Ditch would know better since I'm not familiar with them but I'm guessing the AJW Classics are probably worth the cheap price too. Really, just look around and I guess buy based on what catches your interest.

Kind of a shame there doesn't seem to be any Best Of comps for GAEA or ARSION. Or LCO.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Thsnk you, Suben.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Holy poo poo what a sale. I'm getting like 10 discs of nothing but Tajiri and Kota Ibushi for like $14, shipping included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Buying old FMW stuff. gently caress yeah.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 29, 2011