Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

fishmech posted:

Eh, not really. If you go too cheap they'll use really poor quality materials and you usually end up having intermittent issues on the cable modem due to weak signal. You don't need to spend $100 or anything but if the guy gets a cheap one and notices weird issues with the cable modem afterwards, they'll need a better quality splitter.

Just as a point, good quality or not, splitters cause (sometimes enormous) signal loss.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Get a decent 1ghz 2 way splitter, it doesn't have to be (actually don't buy) "monster" but cheap splitters are the cable techs worst nightmare. Also the cables are important, not so much now that everything is digital but cheap cables have lovely center conductors and shielding which can cause annoying problems:

Basically good RG6 should be about as thick as a pen (or more) and the center conductor should be fairly thick and rigid. The cheap stuff usually has a thin center conductor that doesn't make good contact and/or "suck out", along with other issues.

Worth pointing out that the only thing carrying a signal in a coaxial cable is the erstwhile 'insulating' material, the white plastic stuff. The center 'conductor' and the outside 'shielding' are just wave guides. Since they carry no signal they can be complete crap and make no difference. The thing that usually causes problems is breaks in either of the wave guide materials. Which is why splitters cause signal loss, because anything that screws together will not make perfect electrical contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

daggerdragon posted:

No, but I take pains to reduce the amount of junk mail that is being sent to me. I opt-out of offers sent by the credit card companies, etc. This mailing was directly addressed to me, not Current Resident.

I'm asking how to contact them so I can hopefully find out who sold my address. I'm not above refusing to do business with companies who sell my information to people like Palin's marketing thugs. If you don't know, thank you anyway.

The only person who has my address is my bank. They are the source of all the junk mail I get, and I got a ton of it.

Everything else uses a business name and address. Surprisingly, eBay and Paypal have never given or sold my name, nor has any other online merchant. Online business seem to take privacy much more seriously than banks, which seems absolutely stupid.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

I just realized my lease ran out like a month or two ago. I've kept making payments at the same rate, and my landlord hasn't mentioned anything, but should I? All things considered, I like the location, the landlord's a pretty good guy, and I don't want to be troubled to move, but I'm somewhat concerned that rent'll go up if I bring up a new lease.

Washington state, if it makes a difference.

Again it varies by how well your area protects consumers/tenants.

Here is what the law was like where I lived: the terms of your lease are still in force (on both sides), but the time periods of the lease have changed. In all likelihood, this has been specifically addressed in your lease, whether what is written in the lease you signed is legal or not.

A change in rent usually requires 30 to 90 days notice. You are probably required at this point to give 30 days notice.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Eyeball posted:

I just fired up an old (like four years old, give or take) printer that had been sitting in my closet for about a year. It seems like it's doing everything it's supposed to, but the pages come out blank. Do I need to buy new ink cartridges, or is there something I can do to like, stir it up or something?

The quick answer to all printer problems is stop buying inkjets. Laser printers are much cheaper nowadays. There is a reason that inkjets are given away with computer purchases is so that you will have to buy ink. Take the one color picture you want printed right to the drugstore and have them print it properly.

A better answer to all printer questions is
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3194023

(where everyone will tell you to stop buying inkjets because they are stupid, and to buy laser printers because they are awesome)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
In a couple of weeks I'll be going to Miami (Florida) before joining my ship in the Bahamas. I will have a day or two in the city and my father asked me to buy him a Fein Multimaster (its crazy expensive in europe 900+ dollars), and you can get it for 299 dollars in the US (something to do with patents in the eu VS usa). I know the RPM of the motor is dependent on the hz. I can use a step down converter to deal with the voltage. But can the electrical motor be damaged or burned out by running on a lower hz?

OoNessaoO
Jul 8, 2011
Am I correct in assuming the "I want to know what my antique/thing is worth" megathread has been put to it's grave since I'd need an archive upgrade to see it? Are there any newer threads out there having to do with antiques? Any help would be appreciated.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

kapalama posted:

Worth pointing out that the only thing carrying a signal in a coaxial cable is the erstwhile 'insulating' material, the white plastic stuff. The center 'conductor' and the outside 'shielding' are just wave guides. Since they carry no signal they can be complete crap and make no difference. The thing that usually causes problems is breaks in either of the wave guide materials. Which is why splitters cause signal loss, because anything that screws together will not make perfect electrical contact.

a) "erstwhile" means "former". I think you mean "so-called".

b) No, it really is insulating material - it keeps one wire (the core) from touching the other (the shield). It's true that because of the topology of the cable, the outer shield keeps most of the electric field contained and mostly prevents external fields from penetrating, but that doesn't mean that the insulation is what's carrying the signal - that's performed by the shield and the core.

(And c) Yes, I hadn't anticipated that what I wrote would be interpreted as "go to the dollar store and buy a 75c 'splitter'". There is SOME cash outlay involved. You just don't need a :siren: GOLD-PLATED PLATINUM-CORE BLOWJOB-FAIRY PROFESSIONAL SPLITTER :siren: from Monster.)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Trench_Rat posted:

In a couple of weeks I'll be going to Miami (Florida) before joining my ship in the Bahamas. I will have a day or two in the city and my father asked me to buy him a Fein Multimaster (its crazy expensive in europe 900+ dollars), and you can get it for 299 dollars in the US (something to do with patents in the eu VS usa). I know the RPM of the motor is dependent on the hz. I can use a step down converter to deal with the voltage. But can the electrical motor be damaged or burned out by running on a lower hz?

Ask here. We were just drooling over the awesomeness of Fein Multimasters a few days ago.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

stubblyhead posted:

Ask here. We were just drooling over the awesomeness of Fein Multimasters a few days ago.

could you repost the link I cant click on it?

edit: works now

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Besesoth posted:

b) No, it really is insulating material - it keeps one wire (the core) from touching the other (the shield). It's true that because of the topology of the cable, the outer shield keeps most of the electric field contained and mostly prevents external fields from penetrating, but that doesn't mean that the insulation is what's carrying the signal - that's performed by the shield and the core.

You need to brush up on your info. There is a reason why TV signals are broadcast through the air and not wires. In the RF cable case, the signal is carried by the space between the wires. For physical construction reasons the 'insulator' is there to protect the spacing and distance, but it is the only thing carrying signal.

The wires are just wave guides and nothing more.

Do the waves equations at the two boundary point: the center 'conductor' and the outside 'shielding', and you will see they drop to zero.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I hate to keep on this so I'll ask this and be done with it: I went to two different classes on RF and I've never heard anything like that (aside from the fact the transmitted RF tries to "escape" and will bounce off the shielding through the dielectric to reduce loss). I mean I understand what a waveguide is and that the setup could technically be called that but the center conductor does carry a current.

If you strip down a 6 inch piece of coax to the center conductor and plug it in to your tv and you will have a signal, how do you explain that? If what you say is true the signal should be long gone (relatively speaking, depending on the signal strength) over 6inches.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 9, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kapalama posted:

That would be worth pointing out if it were true, or at least not a gross misunderstanding and oversimplification of the facts, as Besesoth pointed out already.

kapalama posted:

You need to brush up on your info. There is a reason why TV signals are broadcast through the air and not wires. In the RF cable case, the signal is carried by the space between the wires. For physical construction reasons the 'insulator' is there to protect the spacing and distance, but it is the only thing carrying signal.

Do the waves equations at the two boundary point: the center 'conductor' and the outside 'shielding', and you will see they drop to zero.
What generates the EM field that carries the signal? (Hint: it's one of the things you seem to think plays no role in coax signal propagation.)

Also, you should consider combining multiple replies into one post -- four posts in a row is bad form.

edit: what is it that you are trying to say about why TV signals aren't broadcast via cables? :raise:

randyest fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 9, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

kapalama posted:

(where everyone will tell you to stop buying inkjets because they are stupid, and to buy laser printers because they are awesome)

I agree with the sentiment, but I have a HP 930C from 2000 and it's still going strong. Of course, that was from the days when inkjets cost real money so they were built to last.
Any printer that refuses to work because the ink cartridges are past a certain date regardless of their ability to print should be avoided.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Oh, yeah. I discovered that my problem was actually that there were just no ink cartridges in my printer at all. I just assumed they were in there. I have no idea why I would have taken them out or where I would have put them, but yeah. I'm pretty much just going to buy a new printer.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

kapalama posted:

I'll give you a quick hint as to why you might not be understanding this as well as you think you do:

What's the one thing that, by definition, an insulator doesn't do very well?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I'm out of state working. My paycheck is from a Bank of America. Can I cash it at Bank of America without a bank account? If so, will an out of state driver's license suffice for ID?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

If I have a Gmail account, to which multiple email addresses are forwarded, is it possible to reply somehow as one of the forwarded addresses, versus from my Gmail account? Like how in Outlook I can do "Reply as" or whatever it says and pick from different addresses.

edit: n/m, I figured out how to do multiple accounts

Smeep fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 9, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

uG posted:

I'm out of state working. My paycheck is from a Bank of America. Can I cash it at Bank of America without a bank account? If so, will an out of state driver's license suffice for ID?

Yes but they generally charge like $5 unless you can sweet talk the teller.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

uG posted:

I haven't dealt with BoA but a lot of banks I've done this with have started requiring 2 forms of ID to cash a check if you don't have an account, even if the check is from there. I got a teller to cut me a break and only took my license but I was still wearing my work shirt so that probably helped. If your check is less than $1,000 I think Wal Mart will cash a check for about $3.00

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

DELETED posted:

I haven't dealt with BoA but a lot of banks I've done this with have started requiring 2 forms of ID to cash a check if you don't have an account, even if the check is from there. I got a teller to cut me a break and only took my license but I was still wearing my work shirt so that probably helped. If your check is less than $1,000 I think Wal Mart will cash a check for about $3.00
Does the second ID have to be a picture ID, or can I show them a credit card with my name/SS card?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

uG posted:

Does the second ID have to be a picture ID, or can I show them a credit card with my name/SS card?

Why don't you just open a bank account somewhere?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

stubblyhead posted:

Why don't you just open a bank account somewhere?
If I had to I would, but I usually just send my checks back home and have a friend deposit them at my local bank. However, i'm interested in making a large cash purchase this week, and rather than open a bank account for a one time use, i'd like to just get it cashed and be done with it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FCKGW posted:

Most likely they both have copyright protection and won't play on an android device no mater what format you choose.

Damnit, I was afraid of that. loving MPAA.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

hooah posted:

Damnit, I was afraid of that. loving MPAA.

Actually, the iTunes format probably doesn't unless it's being downloaded through iTunes.

I don't know of ANY third party DRM scheme that's compatible with iTunes.

FE: Okay, so Audible. One third party DRM scheme.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/city/story.html?id=72a0d869-bae7-435f-a757-facca802ad83

My girlfriend is in the same situation as the article above where she has been billed by Koodo, this cellphone company in Canada, over $3000 in roaming text charges because the plan she was on got changed without warning by Koodo. Before, her text plan allowed her to text in the States to Canada without charge. Her bill in the first month (May) looked normal because of system lag according to the customer rep, but for the next billing date she got a MASSIVE bill for the month of May, and will be getting another one for June. She got no notice of the change for her plan whatsoever and has already paid $2500 for the first bill just so her credit rating doesn't get hurt.

So my question is, we've already asked the customer rep to reverse the charges since she has been using the same texting plan for two years just like the boy in the article, but they refused. Do we have to take it up with the media as well? What other thing could we do? If there is a better thread/forum for this question I would much appreciate it. Thanks you.

Kritzkrieg Kop fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 9, 2011

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
If it isn't illegal, your girlfriend is pretty much hosed. These folks might be able to help you figure out if it's illegal.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yes but they generally charge like $5 unless you can sweet talk the teller.

Do not try to sweet talk the teller. That is so loving obnoxious. I've had hundreds of douche bags come up like they were the most special loving case in the world with a sob story a mile long for why I shouldn't adhere to bank policy just for them. It didn't work and it shouldn't work. Please don't hassle people just doing their job because you don't have a bank.

Just pay the $5. Some places charge a certain amount per $100, some a flat fee. You may get them to waive the fee if you agree to open an account with them.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I continue to be flatly astonished that a bank charging a non-customer a fee for cashing a check drawn on that bank doesn't violate some kind of usury law.

"Free Checking!" (because we're going to charge the people you write checks to fees instead!)

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Eyeball posted:

If it isn't illegal, your girlfriend is pretty much hosed. These folks might be able to help you figure out if it's illegal.

Maybe, they are well within the law but I'd like to see if actually contacting some news media to make their PR sweat a little or at least threaten to.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
What is the origin of the term "inscrutable Japanese"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tractor fanatic posted:

What is the origin of the term "inscrutable Japanese"?

I can't find the first popularized usage of it, but it's an outcome of longstanding Asian stereotypes in Hollywood and the media:
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/Amydoc.html

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

tractor fanatic posted:

What is the origin of the term "inscrutable Japanese"

Lots of people find the Japanese inscrutable. I don't think it really has an origin.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Huntersoninski posted:

Do not try to sweet talk the teller. That is so loving obnoxious. I've had hundreds of douche bags come up like they were the most special loving case in the world with a sob story a mile long for why I shouldn't adhere to bank policy just for them. It didn't work and it shouldn't work. Please don't hassle people just doing their job because you don't have a bank.

Just pay the $5. Some places charge a certain amount per $100, some a flat fee. You may get them to waive the fee if you agree to open an account with them.

Yeah, because I am going to pay a fee just so some whiny baby doesn't cry about their job later. First off, it isn't your money so who the gently caress cares, second the fee is bullshit to begin with. Not to mention that saying, 'do you mind waiving the fee for me?' is all it takes, its not like I am showing up with a dozen roses.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, from my experience, all bank fees are pretty much bullshit. They make their profits from actually holding the money, and everything besides that is just unnecessary milking. The big customers don't have to pay a cent for services, you can count on that.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I spilled some gasoline on my hands earlier while refilling the lawnmower. Is there any great danger from skin contact with gas? How do I get rid of the smell?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
It's not dangerous at all unless you get lots of gasoline on you all the time, assuming you're generally healthy and stay away from open flames. The smell will go away on it's own fairly quickly. I guess you could wash your hands. That would probably help.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If you're getting gas all over your hands a lot for a period of time like cleaning a bunch of car parts it will dry the gently caress out of your skin and it will sting when more gas or water hits it but that's about it.

I saw gas spraying towards my eyes one time and had the time before it hit to think (but not blink) about how loving bad this is going to sting but surprisingly not near as bad as one would think, nowhere near as bad as lemon juice or toothpaste.

edit: river city ransom avatar. nice.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 10, 2011

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

So on Tuesday I sent a friend $200 through PayPal for some goods, but for some dumb reason I marked it as a gift. Two days later PayPal limited his access to his account, and took the $200 away from him. Is there any hope to get my money back? If so, I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. I can't dispute it with the "Item dispute" option, since I marked it as a gift.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
How do you know they took the money from him? What is the reason he told you that paypal gave him for confiscating $200?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

randyest posted:

How do you know they took the money from him? What is the reason he told you that paypal gave him for confiscating $200?

Cause he linked me to this screencap

He showed me another that showing a message that said "Your PayPal account is connected by one or more personal pieces of information to another account that has a negative balance."