Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Acein ain't easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It must be a breed thing.

"Enjoys traditionally uncomfortable positions."

Either that or Corgi skulls are made of adamantium because Taziki whips her head around (and hit's knocks it into things often) with no care or signs of hurt. Then boom just plops it down somewhere.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The Dave posted:

It must be a breed thing.

"Enjoys traditionally uncomfortable positions."

Either that or Corgi skulls are made of adamantium because Taziki whips her head around (and hit's knocks it into things often) with no care or signs of hurt. Then boom just plops it down somewhere.

Swedish Vallhunds have the same skull then. Asa can jump off of something, crank her skull, and just keep going. Nothing phases her. Tough little monster.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Gizmo LOVES sleeping under chairs, and with his neck turned 90 degrees the wrong way. Also the sleeping on the back thing..

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

gogogiraffes posted:

Gizmo LOVES sleeping under chairs, and with his neck turned 90 degrees the wrong way. Also the sleeping on the back thing..

All corgis do the back thing. It's like they get a memo when they're born

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
He also likes to sleep half hanging off of things, like his body on the bed and his head and neck dangling off at a horrible angle. He freaked out my sister in law doing this, who thought he had fallen or something and snapped his neck. She apparently spent the better part of a day trying to come up with a way to let us know Ace was dead. Finally she went in and poked him and he was just sleeping. :downs:

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Tristesse posted:

He also likes to sleep half hanging off of things, like his body on the bed and his head and neck dangling off at a horrible angle. He freaked out my sister in law doing this, who thought he had fallen or something and snapped his neck. She apparently spent the better part of a day trying to come up with a way to let us know Ace was dead. Finally she went in and poked him and he was just sleeping. :downs:

Awesome!

Loki does this all the time (not to that Ace's extent), but Pepper seems to be prim and proper and won't sleep in awkward positions.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
This entire page thread makes me want a corgi so hard

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
here's an updated picture. ears up!

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
oh and here is the little Orbit sound asleep after a hard day of playing around

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I keep getting people who ask me what breed Nova is, and then trying to argue with me. I had one lady try to lecture me on designer breeds and that she was clearly a collie/daschund mix and to just call her that. Wat.

Corgis are not a common breed here, but jeez!

Also, she got her 12 week shots today, so she'll finally be able to go on walks soon!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Kerafyrm posted:

I keep getting people who ask me what breed Nova is, and then trying to argue with me. I had one lady try to lecture me on designer breeds and that she was clearly a collie/daschund mix and to just call her that. Wat.

Also, she got her 12 week shots today, so she'll finally be able to go on walks soon!

Strange, most people recognize Pems at least, though yours is a tri-color so maybe that trips people out. With a Cardi the coloration definitely does... We get a lot of "what mix is she?" and "Is that a black and white corgi?". There was one guy who insisted to my husband that our breeder had lied to us and she was obviously a border collie/daschund mix.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ahh we haven't had anyone try to argue with us about what breed he is yet, but I'm sure it's coming! A few people have been like "OH IS THAT A CARDIGAN CORGI? I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE!" but that's it really.

I can't wait until we can go on walks!!!!

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

I've never gotten in an argument but I have gotten many a times, "Is he a Pembroke or a Welsh?" and I politely respond, "Well he's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi" and they almost always get, "Oh.. He's a mix." and that cues the whole breed difference.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Kerafyrm posted:

Corwin confuses people because he's a sable and he has a widow's peak. I get the feeling that sables with black tips like his aren't super common around here and so they think he's a mix.

One particularly confused girl asked us if he was a husky puppy when he was small (widow's peak, I guess) and when we said he was a corgi, she said "oh! a Japanese corgi?" No, not a husky. Not a shiba either.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin confuses people because he's a sable and he has a widow's peak. I get the feeling that sables with black tips like his aren't super common around here and so they think he's a mix.

One particularly confused girl asked us if he was a husky puppy when he was small (widow's peak, I guess) and when we said he was a corgi, she said "oh! a Japanese corgi?" No, not a husky. Not a shiba either.

Well obviously since corgis have appeared in anime it must be a Japanese dog, right?... :argh:

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 11, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Most people recognize Butters as a corgi though oftentimes they'll get Cardigan and Pembroke mixed up (to be fair I would have too if I didn't know the breed). When he was a puppy a lot of people thought he was a husky because he was almost purely black and white, but once his head and body started to outgrow his legs they realized he wasn't.

Wonder Bra posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a corgi like Corwin. The long fur and the sable color really do make him look like a border collie or something.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

anachrodragon posted:

Strange, most people recognize Pems at least, though yours is a tri-color so maybe that trips people out. With a Cardi the coloration definitely does... We get a lot of "what mix is she?" and "Is that a black and white corgi?". There was one guy who insisted to my husband that our breeder had lied to us and she was obviously a border collie/daschund mix.

Yeah, I have gotten one person who recognized the breed name but wouldn't have guessed it because he thought they all came in red and white.

That said, I had her out to pee yesterday and a lady with a kid walked by and was all, 'Oh, a tiny corgi baby!' :3: She asked me if they could pet her, and I was a little nervous because Nova had never seen a kid before (the kid was about 3-4, maybe), but she did well.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

all the kids in our neighborhood loooooove Orbit!

I wish these photos had lined up better but it's still funny. Orbit's derpface:

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a dilemma here. Pirate's having a bit of difficulty adjusting to apartment life. She was previously a show dog, shown in conformation, and I feel like she's not up to par on how to be a regular dog. For example, she doesn't seem to respond to toys or chews at all. I tried giving her a kong, and she looked at it for about two seconds before abandoning it. No interest in tennis balls, little interest in squeaky toys, and it took her two whole days to figure out what she's supposed to do with a rawhide bone.

I feel bad because she always seems incredibly bored, but I can't figure out how to teach her to play and be amused. Any thoughts? I don't want her to hate her new home :ohdear:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Crunk Abortion posted:

Hey guys, I've got a bit of a dilemma here. Pirate's having a bit of difficulty adjusting to apartment life. She was previously a show dog, shown in conformation, and I feel like she's not up to par on how to be a regular dog. For example, she doesn't seem to respond to toys or chews at all. I tried giving her a kong, and she looked at it for about two seconds before abandoning it. No interest in tennis balls, little interest in squeaky toys, and it took her two whole days to figure out what she's supposed to do with a rawhide bone.

I feel bad because she always seems incredibly bored, but I can't figure out how to teach her to play and be amused. Any thoughts? I don't want her to hate her new home :ohdear:

what are you putting in the kong? we tried peanut butter and Orbit just totally ignored it. Then we got gross PUPPY KONG BRAND LIVER GOOP in a can like cheese wiz and he looooves it.

Does Pirate ignore you if you try to play tug or catch? Are you clicker training? Maybe you can click and treat her into learning how to play.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So does she just not react to anything? Like what if you act all crazy and start play pushing her and saying goofy things like "I'm gonna get you!"

Taziki takes 99% of gestures as "HOLY poo poo LETS PLAY WOOOOO" and he tail looks like its about to fly off. She often gets started with a little rough housing.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
She doesn't respond to a whole lot. I think part of it might just be homesickness and stress from being somewhere new, but she's been pretty listless the past few days.

When I first got her home, she was playing with her stuffed octopus, but I had to work pretty hard to keep her interested in it.

Aliceamadee- So far I've tried the little treat bar that it came with and peanut butter. She'll eat the peanut butter closest to the open end of it, and eat the part of the treat bar that sticks out, but once she gets down to the point where effort would be involved she stops caring. With the peanut butter I literally had to hold it for her while she ate it. Totally missing the point.

I'm starting clicker training, but it's a slow process. She's not very toy oriented or food oriented so it's hard to find a good reward to motivate her. The thing she really loves the most is physical affection. She could care less about food but loves being petted. Today I've been just clicking and given her kibble to try and build the association up.

Also- she's about three years old. Is it too late for her to learn things like this?

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Never to late to learn. I'd love Gizmo to not be food motivated.

How long has she been in with you? She might just be a lazy one, Gizmo doesn't get holy poo poo moments to much, and he'll be 3 in August.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I have a feeling she's just going through an adjustment period. I think any dog might take a while to come out of her shell in a new environment, but herding dogs can be especially sensitive to things that seem out of place.

I would just give her plenty of affection for now, since she seems to need that. Maybe then work on finding some activities she can do with you. She might even be a good candidate for therapy dog work eventually if she loves being petted and has a calm disposition.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Crunk Abortion posted:

Aliceamadee- So far I've tried the little treat bar that it came with and peanut butter. She'll eat the peanut butter closest to the open end of it, and eat the part of the treat bar that sticks out, but once she gets down to the point where effort would be involved she stops caring. With the peanut butter I literally had to hold it for her while she ate it. Totally missing the point.

We gave our dog one of those treat bars in the kong for the first time last night and he only ate a little bit of it. Like I said before, he won't touch peanut butter. I think they have to get used to the idea of something easy in there first before they can move on to more challenging stuff.

It's good that she loves affection from you. That's the most important thing! :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would just act nuts with her until you chip away her training to be so collected. She's a Corgi, so somewhere deep inside is a bundle of TNT ready to explode and she just doesn't know that she's allowed to now.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Crunk Abortion posted:

She doesn't respond to a whole lot. I think part of it might just be homesickness and stress from being somewhere new, but she's been pretty listless the past few days.

When I first got her home, she was playing with her stuffed octopus, but I had to work pretty hard to keep her interested in it.

I'm starting clicker training, but it's a slow process. She's not very toy oriented or food oriented so it's hard to find a good reward to motivate her. The thing she really loves the most is physical affection. She could care less about food but loves being petted. Today I've been just clicking and given her kibble to try and build the association up.

Also- she's about three years old. Is it too late for her to learn things like this?

That's a bit sad. My guess is that the stress of the move is causing her to shut down a bit. I worry that she's the byproduct of an individual more concerned with showing dogs than the health and welfare of the dogs they show... but that's probably me just being a paranoid rear end in a top hat.

Keep on keeping on, and keep exposing her to play and food rewards. Capitalize on the moment when you first get home (when she's likely to be most excited) and run off and grab a toy and play with her for 30 seconds or so. Stop before she loses interest and end on a high note.

Use meals as training opportunities. Every bit of kibble she gets can be delivered by hand. As she gets more comfortable you can start asking for a behaviour or two per kibble.

She's definitely not too old to learn new behaviours. She's just shy and a bit shut down.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace shuts down like that if something's stressing him (moving did it, being boarded and stuff like that) but after he's settled in he's just as greedy and excitable as normal. Maybe she just needs to adjust to her new surroundings?

She also might not be fond of the treats you're giving her, which also happens sometimes. There have been entire boxes of biscuits that we gave away to other people because some jerk dog snubbed his nose at them. Others (even same brand different flavor) were SUPER AWESOME.

If you want Ace to almost explode with excitement, have a carrot in your hand.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Yeah, my dog turns her nose up at biscuits of any kind, I've yet to find any that she'll eat, even after taking various samples home from the pet store (a local holistic/natural foods pet store here that's awesome). Anything soft, crumbly, squishy, or stinky, however, and she's all over it. She went nuts over some samples that I brought home today of some freeze dried raw food treats. I'll probably pick some up when I go next time.

I did get her some bully sticks, and she has one now and is taking turns chewing on it, pouncing on it, and rolling on it. :3:

Edit:

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 12, 2011

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

gahhhhhh I love her face! <3

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

our friend visited and took a cute picture of Orbit with his tongue sticking out:

here's an all-ears-and-tail picture:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

aliceamadee posted:

our friend visited and took a cute picture of Orbit with his tongue sticking out:

here's an all-ears-and-tail picture:

I WANT THIS DOG GIVE ME HIM

Looks like we're still about 2-3 weeks out from the Afara litters being born (according to my very imprecise calculations), so nothing new to report. At what stage should I be losing my mind with impatience? The kennel's bought, the kongs are bought, the Blue Buffalo coupons (hooray employee discounts!) are stored, the clicker-and-lanyard are bought, we're registered for my training classes, still need to pick up brushes and bowls, but well underway.

Here's a question. Since corgis are prone to the kinds of ailments that plague larger breeds like GSD's, would it be beneficial to put them on a large breed food formula once they switch to adult food? I know Blue's contains extra glucosamine and chondroitin that is supposed to help joints in general and hips specifically. I don't really want to take any chances, since the goal is to have him/her be a performance agility dog.

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!

a life less posted:

That's a bit sad. My guess is that the stress of the move is causing her to shut down a bit. I worry that she's the byproduct of an individual more concerned with showing dogs than the health and welfare of the dogs they show... but that's probably me just being a paranoid rear end in a top hat.

After going to a lot of dog shows, I don't think you're being a paranoid rear end in a top hat. Some dogs pretty much live in a crate for years and travel around with pro handlers from show to show. It makes me wonder how much love and attention those show dogs actually get.

I hope this isn't the case for the dog Crunk Abortion has. Hopefully it's just a case of the new place spooks and that will go away in a few weeks.

Now time for some more pictures! :toot:

Look at that tongue!

Throw the kong disc thing already!

I played so hard, now I'll lay my head on this oh-so-comfortable basket of toys.

I'm sitting weird, but dammit I'm smiling!

Hey what are you cooking?

No really we will follow you through this kitchen... we know there is food.

Yeah I got nothing for this one.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
it's pretty interesting seeing Rory. Orbit is looking more and more like him everyday. RORY FAN CLUB #1

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!
:haw::hf::gonk:

Rory looks up at you in wonder.

Darksidepsy
Nov 4, 2009
Hello resident Corgi experts! I have been thinking about getting a Pembroke for months now. I have pretty much read this whole thread and am moving out into my own place in a week so I will finally be able to get the pet I've always wanted. I have looked at the links posted in this thread. As well as just scouring the internet for breeders. However, I'm very nervous about the lack of breeders online.

I would feel much better if anyone here could refer me to a breeder in the Houston area. I would definitely be willing to drive a few hours for my Corgi, and actually I would prefer to get an adult. However a puppy would be fine also. I have looked at various Corgi rescues and the choices are very limited at best.

Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated!

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!
I'll check with the breeder we got Rory and Violet from. She hasn't had pems in a long time, but I'll see if she knows anyone near Houston.

Edit: I emailed our breeder, waiting to hear back. As soon as I hear something I'll let you know.

Fathom fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 18, 2011

Darksidepsy
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you. I'd appreciate that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
So I'm at a family reunion for Ma's side in Wyoming -- she has like 7 brothers and sisters, so it's a lot of people. The neighbor of my aunt and uncle hosting has a Pembroke named Boomer who wants NOTHING more than to come over and see everyone. The neighbor works in the yard during the day and Boomer lays there in "stay" but just straaaaaining to get to us. Owner finally let him today and he was an adorable little gentleman who sat on my feet and let me pet him :3: Effin' corgis.

• Locked thread