Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!
Here's what I heard back.

quote:

There are many Pem breeders in Texas. There is a Pem club: Greater Houston Pembroke Welsh Corgi Fanciers. They have a website & I'm sure there are several contacts on that website. I have been out of Pems long enough not to know too many people in that area who breed Pems. Some breeders, like myself, may have older Pems available. GHPWCF also has a rescue.

Googling for you:

http://www.ghpwcf.org/

List of AKC contacts

Go to this page and search for TX. That will get you another list of contacts. And this might be the best place to start. Find someone and see if they have older pems they're looking to adopt out that you can come see. Of you you'll want to go out and play with them a few times before you ever take anyone home with you, and hopefully the breeder is fine with that. I'd be worried if they didn't want you to visit a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

corgi wants out of the bath!!!

he's 12 weeks now and I feel like he's really grown up a lot in the past few weeks. He seems more affectionate and cuddly (he's spooning my foot right now) and also much more interested in listening to us and obeying us (if we tell him to stop something, he at least notices us now!). I CAN'T WAIT until he gets his final round of shots on Thursday and can go out into the world more! He's going to charm the heck out of everyone!

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
My family came down to visit last week, so Pirate had a ton of attention and came out of her shell a bit. Today I was able to catch her actually playing with a toy for the first time, an I caught it on video :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaSaaIYniKA

She's still a little reserved, but it's progress! Now I just need to nurture her innate hatred of lobsters.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

aww, glad pirate discovered toys can be awesome!!

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:
Corgis know how to relax.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin has gotten even longer than his friend, Walter! Here are some photos taken by Walter's owner, Chuck. ( I need to take some more myself. )He really doesn't look a lot like regular red/white corgis, does he? My weird little guy...

Derp! :3:

For reference, here is Corwin with Walter when they first met:

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 21, 2011

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin has gotten even longer than his friend, Walter! Here are some photos taken by Walter's owner, Chuck. ( I need to take some more myself. )He really doesn't look a lot like regular red/white corgis, does he? My weird little guy...

He really is a beautiful boy. I think sable is my favorite color on Pems, but it's true that you don't see it that often.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

anachrodragon posted:

He really is a beautiful boy. I think sable is my favorite color on Pems, but it's true that you don't see it that often.

Now that he has so much black on his saddle, I swear it's almost every day that someone asks me if he's a corgi mix.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I haven't done a photo dump on Butters in a while, so...

He's a little over a year old, but still kind of small.

But so majestic.

Got you nose.

Going for a swim this afternoon.

A few minutes ago, after I gave him a bath.

My little bear :3:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Woohoo swimming Corgis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcCDx78rA0

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:

The Dave posted:

Woohoo swimming Corgis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcCDx78rA0

"gently caress this, I'm not going any further."

"Oh there's a ball involved? What are we hanging out here for??"

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

I joined the corgi club! Here is my pembroke Cass. She will be 9 weeks old tomorrow!

She loves sleeping and also to eat a stick.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

awwww she is so tiny and so round!!!!!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Time to kick my "I-Do-Not-Have-Time-Or-Space-For-A-Corgi-Right-Now" mantra into high gear after those pictures! So cute! :3:

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Panzer Skank posted:

I joined the corgi club! Here is my pembroke Cass. She will be 9 weeks old tomorrow!

She loves sleeping and also to eat a stick.

Adorable!!

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Panzer Skank posted:

Very, very cute!

Here's a photo dump of Nova.

And tired out after all of that:

And one of her going so fast she was phasing out of reality:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
This thread makes me wish I worked from home so I could get a second Corgi. :(

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

aliceamadee and a sandy, wet little Orbit. We had an amazing day at the beach today. He was really skittish at first but warmed up fast. He ended up doing great.

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
I had no idea how cute corgis are. :3: Their stubby little legs make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

he1ixx posted:

aliceamadee and a sandy, wet little Orbit. We had an amazing day at the beach today. He was really skittish at first but warmed up fast. He ended up doing great.

Orbit looks very serious in this picture. That's one thing I love about Cardigans, how very serious they seem sometimes.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

anachrodragon posted:

Orbit looks very serious in this picture. That's one thing I love about Cardigans, how very serious they seem sometimes.

aww. Yeah he's growing up and becoming more noble and serious, but it's still pretty rare. he's a goofy pup!

He was the CUTEST at the beach. The kids were playing and digging in the sand and he kept running up to them, like "can I help? can I help? Let me help! I know how to dig! I can do this! Here, let me!" and he kept bumbling on them and piling on top of their sandcastles and snorfling into their backs and generally being adorable. I haven't seen the three of them all "work" together quite like that yet, it was great.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
My girlfriend and I are finally preparing to bring a puppy home. We recently moved to Boston, and now that one of us has a real job we feel like financially we will be ready in the spring. I've read this thread multiple times and would love some advice on breeders in Massachusetts, or in the NE area.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Just remember it's not about money, it's about time. If you're looking to explore Boston more, I would say hold off on the dog. Once you get a puppy your weekends are dead, and you can't really leave the house for longer than 1-2 hours while they are learning to be house trained. Then even after that you can only really leave for ~6-7 hours before having to get the dog out and IMO that's too long (I like to do no longer than 4).

Not that it's impossible to live in the city with a dog. If you're really close to where you go out then it isn't as big of a deal once the dog has better bladder control, but I live like 30 minutes outside of center city Philadelphia so I don't have the option of going out while Taziki stays home for hours and hours. Luckily we just bought a house though and Taziki will have her own penned off spot and doggie door, so she can take herself out while we work and if we want to go out for awhile we won't feel bad about her being alone.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I'm aware of the time commitment, currently our schedules work out perfectly. I work mostly nights and she has a traditional job, so we would always have someone with the pup. I meant to include this, I just got sidetracked writing my post

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh perfect then! I only posted that because I think I underestimated a pinch on how much time I'd lose from puppy training.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

The Bandit posted:

I'm aware of the time commitment, currently our schedules work out perfectly. I work mostly nights and she has a traditional job, so we would always have someone with the pup. I meant to include this, I just got sidetracked writing my post

My warning would be this: Expect to wait. Make sure your schedules work out perfectly about 6 months down the line, rather than right now. Once you find a breeder you really trust and admire, be prepared to sit tight on a waitlist for a good while. We've been on a waitlist since April, but because this breeder was our #1 choice, it's going to be worth it. In the end, it's really the breeder you are getting, not the puppy. Each breeder has slightly different goals for their operation, so make sure your personal household needs mesh with the kinds of dogs your breeder produces.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The Dave posted:

I live like 30 minutes outside of center city Philadelphia

hey, we have a corgi and are right outside of Philly too (in NJ). You're not our neighbor with the pembroke corgi flag outside their house are you? :) (we sometimes entertain the thought of being the creepy corgi-neighbors and knocking on their door and saying HI but I am sure they are older and we're young and tattooed so I dunno about that!)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I wish I had a Corgi flag! Nope I'm in Springfield PA. Looking to expand the family too but no Corgi unless it's a mix. We found an adorable Corgi / Black Lab for adoption ( we're also only adopting ) but someone snatched it up in like a day =/

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

aww corgilab! or labgi? i see a bunch of "corgi mixes" on petfinder in the area (we looked into adopting too) but most of them don't seem super convincing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah sometimes all it takes is pointy ears for them to add "Corgi Mix" to the listing. This was exactly a black lab with corgi legs. It was the cutest thing I've seen.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The Dave posted:

Yeah sometimes all it takes is pointy ears for them to add "Corgi Mix" to the listing. This was exactly a black lab with corgi legs. It was the cutest thing I've seen.

I think someone at the training place yesterday was telling us about a friend with a corgi-lab mix, so maybe that was the person who snagged your dog!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

aliceamadee posted:

aww corgilab! or labgi? i see a bunch of "corgi mixes" on petfinder in the area (we looked into adopting too) but most of them don't seem super convincing.

What's hilarious is that there are probably dogs with normal length legs out that are corgi mixes, but will never be labeled as such. I think the dwarf gene has a 50% chance of being passed to offspring in a dwarf x normal dog cross.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 2, 2011

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I just wonder how common it is for a corgi to be out there who isn't fixed and isn't with a responsible owner and/or breeder to create corgi mixes (or adoptable corgis) in the first place. They don't seem to be very popular/ well known dogs, so the demand at BYB/ pet stores isn't too high (though obviously there are some out there).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually think the popularity of Corgis is huge at the moment and you see them featured in a lot of commercials. I know Petsmart was using one in an ad, Pedigree uses one for the Doggie Dentures ad, and I've seen them featured on a couple of products when I'm shopping.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The Dave posted:

I actually think the popularity of Corgis is huge at the moment and you see them featured in a lot of commercials. I know Petsmart was using one in an ad, Pedigree uses one for the Doggie Dentures ad, and I've seen them featured on a couple of products when I'm shopping.

hm! I stand corrected. Maybe because we were looking for a Cardigan it seemed more obscure

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, Cardigans are thankfully still somewhat uncommon. I feel bad for all the Pembrokes named after anime though...

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

anachrodragon posted:

Yeah, Cardigans are thankfully still somewhat uncommon. I feel bad for all the Pembrokes named after anime though...

About a week after we got our Lola, we noticed that the neighbors across the street from us had a ~1 year old corgi.

He is named after an(the) anime :(

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

More pictures of Cassie! She is 10 weeks old and is a super loving ace at going to the bathroom outside.

Extra picture for the PI fat puppy belly requirement:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Corgi puppies are ridiculous. There's no other way to put it. Unreal. I want to shake those stubby paws and nuzzle her belly and I can't. Unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

aliceamadee posted:

Shadow notes that the proper name is Corgidor.

The legs look real stubby in an absolute sense, until she stands next to the real Corgi from down the block, then you realize how tall shadow is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread