Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

torgeaux posted:

I don't consider myself middle aged at 47, thank you very much!
You straight old, mang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...tic-value.shtml

Hahaha

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

This sounds just so drat stupid :downsgun:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure, might be the best thing that ever happened to flickr.

Do the cops take into account post processing?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The best part is that to them, esthetic value means "something a regular tourist would photograph". Kill me now.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

I approve of this new law which effectively declares lovely HDR a terrorist act.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I didn't know you could spell aesthetic like that :stare: .

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

A5H posted:

I didn't know you could spell aesthetic like that :stare: .

They're talking about photos that their grandma, Esther, would like.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just saw this on CL today:

quote:

Seeking photographer to take photos of a live band in September. There's no pay, this is strictly for photographers looking to branch out or build their portfolios. Photographer is welcome to use all/any photos on their website/portfolio and welcome to put their name or website on any/all photos. Please e-mail for more details if you're interested. Thanks!

Oh how kind of them to let the photographer keep their own photos! I'm half tempted to post an add "Seeking a Band for my party", no pay but it'll give you experience playing at parties!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Today I got a new shutter release cable, and the verdict is in... my old one was broken, it was not my camera the problem! So now I can shoot in bulb mode for as long as I want and I am totally going abuse that power as soon as the sun goes down.

(Only bummer is I'm pretty sure it's a full moon which will screw up my star shots.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Haggins posted:

Oh how kind of them to let the photographer keep their own photos! I'm half tempted to post an add "Seeking a Band for my party", no pay but it'll give you experience playing at parties!
Do it, and be sure to tell them they get to keep their own songs.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Last night I met a professional photographer at a party; he mostly shoots weddings. After I told him how I felt like I'd arrived as a photographer, even an amateur, the first time somebody told me "your camera takes good pictures!", he related an anecdote I will have to remember for the next time.

He says he was at a shoot, an engagement session if I remember correctly. At one point, the groom-to-be said the infamous words. So, he put his camera down on the table and stepped away. Groom-to-be asked where he was going, and he said "Well, since it's the camera that takes such nice pictures, I guess I'll just let it finish this shoot. It can clearly do everything needed for some great pictures by itself, so I'm going for a little walk and I'll come back when it's done."

Dude apologized, and they finished the shoot. Possibly a bit of an overreaction, but it got the point across.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Photographers tend to be a sensitive lot, don't they. :ohdear:

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
What a tolerable story.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Haggins posted:

I dont see how this is a bad thing? A lot of bands dont exactly have money to throw at a photographer so all they are asking is if someone would like to they can come down and take some photos of them. Helps them a little and a lot of people like to shoot bands as a hobby.

Saying all the other stuff is probably a good thing considering you would have bands who wouldnt pay and then expect all the photos to be theirs.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Fists Up posted:

I dont see how this is a bad thing? A lot of bands dont exactly have money to throw at a photographer so all they are asking is if someone would like to they can come down and take some photos of them. Helps them a little and a lot of people like to shoot bands as a hobby.

Saying all the other stuff is probably a good thing considering you would have bands who wouldnt pay and then expect all the photos to be theirs.

It is a bad thing. They're valuing their work and not valuing the work of the photographer. Not to mention, assuming some new photographer jumps on this, and does a good job, you've set the bar for the "price" for this photography. Why pay someone to do it, when there will always be someone willing to take a stab at it for "experience."

A lot of people don't have money to throw at concert tickets, so all they are asking is for someone to work for free.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

sildargod posted:

How the gently caress do you get that much gear as a hobby?

There was an older dude at the medium/large format counter in Samy's LA when I was there a few months ago asking some really simple questions that could have been answered with a quick Google. He had his H3D with him.

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I got into photography because it creates something that is sharable in an almost universal way. I'm happy to show almost anybody my work even when I was just taking pictures of cats and poo poo.

I got out of video games (what me and my iPad do on trains doesn't count :colbert:) around the same time I got into photography. It's nice to have something to show for your hobby.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Depending on where they're playing and who they're (most likely) opening for, having a photo pass for a concert might be worth doing it for free if you're starting out.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Last night I met a professional photographer at a party; he mostly shoots weddings. After I told him how I felt like I'd arrived as a photographer, even an amateur, the first time somebody told me "your camera takes good pictures!", he related an anecdote I will have to remember for the next time.

He says he was at a shoot, an engagement session if I remember correctly. At one point, the groom-to-be said the infamous words. So, he put his camera down on the table and stepped away. Groom-to-be asked where he was going, and he said "Well, since it's the camera that takes such nice pictures, I guess I'll just let it finish this shoot. It can clearly do everything needed for some great pictures by itself, so I'm going for a little walk and I'll come back when it's done."

Dude apologized, and they finished the shoot. Possibly a bit of an overreaction, but it got the point across.

That sounds like a great attitude to take towards someone who is paying you large amounts of money to perform a service that hundreds of other people are equally qualified and willing to perform.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

It is a bad thing. They're valuing their work and not valuing the work of the photographer. Not to mention, assuming some new photographer jumps on this, and does a good job, you've set the bar for the "price" for this photography. Why pay someone to do it, when there will always be someone willing to take a stab at it for "experience."

A lot of people don't have money to throw at concert tickets, so all they are asking is for someone to work for free.

I don't see a problem with this sort of job. I got into photography a couple years ago, and I generally now know how to meter things. I'd like to earn some money from photography at some point, if I ever felt I had a good handle on my skills in order to deliver a product that is satisfactory.

In order to do so, I need to shoot, a lot. I also need to put myself in situations where I can practice shooting for someone and delivering a specific product. Without any sort of portfolio, I would be unable to find a paying job, and indeed would not be confident in doing so. These sorts of jobs would enable someone like me to enter the market and begin to build value as a photographer, so I could then charge more, while also increasing my sense of confidence in my ability to deliver good photographs.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

I don't see a problem with this sort of job. I got into photography a couple years ago, and I generally now know how to meter things. I'd like to earn some money from photography at some point, if I ever felt I had a good handle on my skills in order to deliver a product that is satisfactory.

In order to do so, I need to shoot, a lot. I also need to put myself in situations where I can practice shooting for someone and delivering a specific product. Without any sort of portfolio, I would be unable to find a paying job, and indeed would not be confident in doing so. These sorts of jobs would enable someone like me to enter the market and begin to build value as a photographer, so I could then charge more, while also increasing my sense of confidence in my ability to deliver good photographs.

Then shoot bands you like to practice. Don't take a "job" from someone who is just trying to finagle free work out of you.

Can you imagine this same scenario making sense in any other hobby/profession?

"Hi, me and my girlfriend want to go to New Orleans for the weekend and we're looking for a student/hobbyist pilot to fly us there. This would be a great opportunity for anyone needing flight hours for their license and if the weather is right, maybe some IFR hours too. There is no compensation but you'd be able to log all the hours you spend on this trip and maybe get some paid work in the future."

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap

Haggins posted:

"Hi, me and my girlfriend want to go to New Orleans for the weekend and we're looking for a student/hobbyist pilot to fly us there. This would be a great opportunity for anyone needing flight hours for their license and if the weather is right, maybe some IFR hours too. There is no compensation but you'd be able to log all the hours you spend on this trip and maybe get some paid work in the future."

Haggins I love you. I want to use this analogy in all my photo communications from now on.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no way I can compare being a photographer to being a professional pilot with a straight face, lol

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Haggins posted:

Then shoot bands you like to practice. Don't take a "job" from someone who is just trying to finagle free work out of you.

If I had 0 experience shooting bands, or was trying to get more experience shooting bands, I would totally do it. I'd rather get into a show for free, shoot the bands that play and get them to use pics that have my name/site on them than pay 5 bucks or what ever cover and take pictures of the band then upload them to a flickr album that 4 people will see.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

If you're shooting for free you should always be shooting to better your portfolio. If I wanted to shoot bands I'd pursue and contact bands I liked and wanted to shoot. Get in contact with them, get press passes. You can email pics to them later. It's a much better set up than showing up as a free employee and having to deal with the expectations of a band expecting you to perform a professional service for free.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Can you imagine this same scenario making sense in any other hobby/profession?

Internships/apprenticeships are exactly this for the real world.

eg: "Do free work, prove self, get better jobs"

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 22, 2011

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Haggins posted:

Not a great analogy. If the fuel, maintenance, hire and parking fees I pay are the same as the cost of electrons you pay, then yeah, I'd take you up flying to get hours in an instant.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

Internships/apprenticeships are exactly this for the real world.

eg: "Do free work, prove self, get better jobs"
And a lot of internships are total poo poo too. You see it all the time here with the fashion interns, where they think getting coffee at vogue will totally get them their "in" and the photography "internships" where you assist for nothing. The most important part of an internship is getting something back that's worth your time-- and not devaluing yourself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

He forgot the part of the story where everyone stood up and cheered as he picked up his camera after setting that groom straight on his wedding day.

I mean it's a funny story, but that is some grade A bullshit or he is the least professional "professional" I can imagine.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

If you're shooting for free you should always be shooting to better your portfolio. If I wanted to shoot bands I'd pursue and contact bands I liked and wanted to shoot. Get in contact with them, get press passes. You can email pics to them later. It's a much better set up than showing up as a free employee and having to deal with the expectations of a band expecting you to perform a professional service for free.

Exactly.

I don't know why everyone thinks it's hard to get a chance to shoot a live band. Hell, you don't even need a press pass to start; just show up a small venue that allows cameras.

Secondly, why would the guy asking for free photos on craigslist be a good opportunity? If he was anyone big and important, he wouldn't have to beg for free photos. In all likelihood this guy is in a redneck cover band that plays the VFW hall on weekends.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Back when I was starting out and lusting after L lenses, I was at a wedding reception as a guest, and the photographer had a 30D with a 70-200 2.8L IS on it and one time when she was near me, I quietly said "ooh, nice lens!" and she stopped and was like "well, it's not the lens or camera you know!" in a very condescending tone. I just smiled and thought "what a bitch!" to myself.

But that poo poo happens all the time, you just get used to it. I get flak for bringing a 35L to shoot low-light party photos from random people. "Ugh, you're just showing off, I can take the same pics with my phone!" I just say "good luck!" or show them some of the shots on my screen if they're not raging assholes.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
To be fair, if I was using a camera with shittier ISO performance, my live music shots wouldn't turn out as well as they do. To be fair, the same is true for certain wedding photos. Though obviously it doesn't have any effect on composition, etc.

I don't think there is ever a need to be lovely to someone if they're just ignorant on the topic, especially with camera manufacturers shoving advertising down everyone's throat that they NEED to upgrade to a newer camera.

Though lets all be honest, if you were shooting portraits on a Hasselblad with a great lens and a $40,000 digital back, do you think the photos would turn out better than with your current camera setup? For me, I think they would. I guess that's effective marketing.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
A camera is just a tool, and photography is like any other profession. Using good tools, and using the right tools, will make it significantly easier to do good work, and allow you to achieve things that otherwise you wouldn't be able, but you need the knowledge and skill to operate them successfully. Where photography differs from most other professions is that a carpenter is much less likely to hear "Wow, look at that deck! You must have a really good saw!".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But it's so childish to get upset when someone is essentially complementing you on your equipment.

Like if someone genuinely complemented me on my lens then I'd probably say "yeah, I love it, thanks!", not go into some snide lecture about how it's not about the equipment but all about how the photographer uses it.

I mean it just makes you sound like a sociopath otherwise :confused:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I went to a friend's wedding in May and took my Nishika N8000 and Pentax 645 for some fun shots and some nice ones. I decided to leave the digital at home so as not to make taking pictures a priority. One of the photographers noticed the N8000 and started talking with me, we took some cheesy shots taking pictures of each other, and I told her outright "I brought this so I could get some fun shots and not annoy the crap out of you guys all night." They were great photographers both in skill and making photos fun (they did a side room photo booth) and since they had a "no drinking while working" policy, and politely declined our offers to get them drinks, I tipped them with a bomber of the beer I had brewed with my brother and our friend, the bride's brother, for the wedding. If I ever need anything photographed in Philly, I know who I'm going with.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Martytoof posted:

sociopath
I agree with you and all but please don't (mis)use that word lightly.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Martytoof posted:

But it's so childish to get upset when someone is essentially complementing you on your equipment.

Like if someone genuinely complemented me on my lens then I'd probably say "yeah, I love it, thanks!", not go into some snide lecture about how it's not about the equipment but all about how the photographer uses it.

I mean it just makes you sound like a sociopath otherwise :confused:

I agree it's childish to get upset and say snide remarks, especially when they're just genuinely complementing your gear, but I once had a (sort-of) friend tell me that a mutual friend was looking at my photos and was saying how much she liked them. The first friend just told her "well yeah, but she has an slr camera). I was pretty offended that not only did she imply that I don't put any effort or thought into my pictures (I'm still learning, but I put a ton of my free time into my photos), but that she would actively de-value my work in front of another friend really pissed me off. And to top it all off, she bragged about this in front of me...which is odd to say the least.

I dunno, I had no idea what to say to that, I just kinda smiled, told her I do put a lot of work into them, and changed the subject. However, if someone said to me "oh, nice lens!" then I wouldn't be offended at all. Cause yeah...it's a nice lens :P

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Don't remember seeing this posted, Microsoft released a camera codec pack for Windows 7/Vista that allows you to see .RAW files as thumbnails in Explorer.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829

Looks like support for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Leica, Minolta, Epson and Panasonic. Doesn't seem to read Fuji's .RAF files though.
Awesome thanks for this.

I've always held the opinion that good gear doesn't make a photographer so much as skill. However skill also includes on how to use their gear, and gear gets better as it costs more.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Anybody who don't visit thrift shops or recycling centers regularly should. I visit my local one about once a month, though they are a bit special as they cater to teachers and artists. There is always at least one shelf dedicated to old camera junk. The downside is it's almost all garbage; old 8mm instructional videos, empty film cans, left over photos and negatives, cheap slide mounting contraptions. The upside is that when you find good stuff it's dirt cheap; giant frames for 5 to $10, negative binder sheets for 10 cents each, negative carriers for scanning at a buck a piece.

Today I came home with probably my best find; A new 3" Photo Album, a pack of cd binder sleeves, and a Gossen Luna Pro Light meter. All for $4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

RangerScum posted:

Though lets all be honest, if you were shooting portraits on a Hasselblad with a great lens and a $40,000 digital back, do you think the photos would turn out better than with your current camera setup? For me, I think they would. I guess that's effective marketing.
WELL, it just so happens that I have been wondering the same thing lately :) What caused me to wonder was that I took my dad to a Zoo, and we sort of took exactly the same pictures, same time, same position. I was shooting with my brand new 5DII + 70/200L, he was rocking his original Rebel + 28/200 4.0-5.6 with around 12.000 shutter actuations, dust everywhere etc.

I know a 5DII does not compare to a Hasselblad, but can you spot what picture came from what camera? It's not obvious and certainly not a difference that pops:

Both are straight from camera. Once you know what to look for you can easily spot the difference, but a "normal" person would never guess that one costs five times the other camera.