Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Randomity posted:

Found a kitten at work. Very tiny, looks to be in rough shape. Haven't been able to catch it yet. If I do catch it and keep it in the bathroom for a couple days until vets / shelters are open, are there any diseases I could be exposing the other cats to? They would be separated by the bathroom door, and of course I'd wash my hands after touching the kitten.
Update: caught the kitten. Pics tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Randomity posted:

Update: caught the kitten. Pics tomorrow.
Here's a preview.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Randomity posted:

Found a kitten at work. Very tiny, looks to be in rough shape. Haven't been able to catch it yet. If I do catch it and keep it in the bathroom for a couple days until vets / shelters are open, are there any diseases I could be exposing the other cats to? They would be separated by the bathroom door, and of course I'd wash my hands after touching the kitten.

Wash your hands (or use disposable latex gloves from the pharmacy) and change out your shoes and wear something that covers your other clothes mostly, like a lab coat or a big tshirt. Bleach the bathroom and wash everything that touched the kitten once you clear out the bathroom.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Oh, tiny angular kitten!

As far as the clothes/shoes change, it's probably easiest to keep a pair of cheap flip-flops or slippers in the bathroom right by the door (...if they stay put with a kitten in there) so you can make quick changes. Ditto the covering shirt/robe.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Any recommendations for dog car seat belts/ harnesses for a "medium" sized dog?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Kitten is very angry. Not a people cat. I know the best thing to do in these situations is sit down and do something quiet in the room with the kitten so it gets used to you, but I have a 10 month old who I have to keep an eye on all of the time, plus I work full time, my husband works full time and attends school full time, and we are in the process of moving to a new (no pets allowed) apartment. I just don't have time. I would love to socialize the kitty before sending it to the shelter so it would have a chance, but I just can't. :( I know if I drop it off tomorrow it will be euthed but I don't know what else to do.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Do you have a big crate? Maybe kitty can just hang out wherever you are. Or maybe that's a dumb idea.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

That's a lot to handle with a young baby. If you can find someone who can keep it for a week and socialize it in their bathroom, then that's a good thing. Otherwise I'd say you did your best and you gave the kitten a good few warm and cozy days with food and it didn't get hit by a car or starve to death. It sucks pretty badly but it's better than a lovely life on the street and you unfortunately can't always save them all.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Enelrahc posted:

That's a lot to handle with a young baby. If you can find someone who can keep it for a week and socialize it in their bathroom, then that's a good thing. Otherwise I'd say you did your best and you gave the kitten a good few warm and cozy days with food and it didn't get hit by a car or starve to death. It sucks pretty badly but it's better than a lovely life on the street and you unfortunately can't always save them all.
I only really have one friend who would have the time and patience to do such a thing, and she lives in Oklahoma city (I'm in central Arkansas). I'll try to sit with the kitty for a while after my kid goes to bed, if there's any progress there I do have tomorrow off so I'll just take it day by day.

edit: This is what kitty does if you get in its line of sight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFeKU_zpcQE

I have since put a hot water bottle and pile of towels back behind the toilet, since that's where I always find it when I go in there.

Randomity fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 6, 2011

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

wtftastic posted:

Any recommendations for dog car seat belts/ harnesses for a "medium" sized dog?

Recent thread on this topic.

Here's the text from my post at the end for my thoughts, in case you don't feel like reading through it.

Ceridwen posted:

A lot of things sold (and used) as car harnesses are not appropriate for that use.

Here are a few important things you want in a car harness:
Wide straps (so any impact will be more spread out on your dog)
No nylon buckles bearing weight (this is the failing of most harnesses, the nylon buckles will not hold up in most crashes)
Attachment to the seatbelt or child latch system (seatbelt only for large dogs, the latch system is ok for smaller dogs)
A good balance of movement vs. security

Even a lot of harnesses sold for use as car restraints have nylon buckles that are very likely to fail in a crash. The Kurgo harness is an example of this (as far as I could tell when I took one out of the box at REI). It is ok for a harness to have nylon buckles if they won't bear weight in a crash though.

Here's a webpage with a lot of useful information about canine car restraints. It doesn't have all the latest options but it gives you some good information to think about when you are selecting a car restraint.
http://www.agilepooch.com/dogstuff/dogbelts/dogbelts.html

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Found a stray dog on the side of the highway today. Seems like he was dumped by negligent owners but he is still the sweetest, gentlest, most loving animal.
My question is: my dog is all up to date on vaccinations, flea meds, tick preventative, all that jazz. Is there a likelihood that she could catch something from him if they interact?

Obviously keeping them separated for now, just curious.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
So I sat with the kitten while it ate, then while it was eating I started petting it. I expected it to run away and hide. I did not expect this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Db34VtZFO0 (I moved the phone at 0:43 seconds in and you get a better view of the kitten).

Purring like a motorboat the whole time. :3: Kitten is a sweet, attention starved little thing, was just scared. I am so sad and :3: at the same time. I'm keeping it another day to try to give it more attention and socialization, and taking some good pics with my dad's camera to put on Facebook to see if I can find a home for it myself. I *still* don't really have time for this, but when I first heard that purring start up my eyes filled with tears and I realized I can't give up just yet.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
^^^ :3:!!

Cassiope posted:

Found a stray dog on the side of the highway today. Seems like he was dumped by negligent owners but he is still the sweetest, gentlest, most loving animal.
My question is: my dog is all up to date on vaccinations, flea meds, tick preventative, all that jazz. Is there a likelihood that she could catch something from him if they interact?

Obviously keeping them separated for now, just curious.

I believe bordetella/kennel cough can still be spread to dogs with the vaccine (due to the difficulty of vaccinating against different strains I think?), so there is some risk, especially if you don't know the strange dog's vaccination history. Another thing is that bordetella vaccines are typically given yearly, but dogs who interact with strange dogs (boarding, dog parks) are recommended to get it every 6 months to be safe(r). When did your dog have her last bordetella?

I'm not sure if I'd let them interact. Just repeating the things I've learned while trying to get my dog prepared to go to doggie day camp this past weekend. v:shobon:v

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

drat Bananas posted:

I believe bordetella/kennel cough can still be spread to dogs with the vaccine (due to the difficulty of vaccinating against different strains I think?), so there is some risk, especially if you don't know the strange dog's vaccination history. Another thing is that bordetella vaccines are typically given yearly, but dogs who interact with strange dogs (boarding, dog parks) are recommended to get it every 6 months to be safe(r). When did your dog have her last bordetella?

I'm not sure if I'd let them interact. Just repeating the things I've learned while trying to get my dog prepared to go to doggie day camp this past weekend. v:shobon:v

Pretty close with the kennel cough explanation (here's some more science!) - there are two main causes of what we think of as kennel cough (aka Canine Infectious Respiratory Disease Complex), and Bordetella and Parainfluenza (the things in the intranasal vaccine) are what are covered. However, there are other diseases that can lead to respiratory signs, some viruses, some bacteria, which aren't covered by vaccination.

Then you've got to think about intestinal parasites which the stray might have. If you're on monthly preventatives, some of them have dewormers.

There are other infectious diseases out there, but they're numerous and probably really unlikely in that particular dog (OMG transmissible venereal tumor!1!!!11!! Remember, always talk to your dog about sex)

Quarantine is the way to go!

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Alright thanks, I did keep them quarantined I just had the thought that my dog basically interacts with unvetted dogs at the dog park and comes in contact with potentially unvaccinated dog waste (or other dogs) every time we go outside for a walk or to petco or around the park. Since the highway dog is staying in our backyard until the shelter opens tomorrow she's still gonna come in contact with where he's been.

I just feel bad that he is outside and I wanted him to come in. Still better than being on the side of a busy road looking sad and confused though. It was pitiful, he was running up to cars expectantly...I'm pretty sure he was recently dumped when I found him :(

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself
I am having a really difficult time finding housing that will allow my vicious baby eating beast doberman. Anyone have any tips or advice to market my mutt enough to get a decent place to rent?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Insignificunt posted:

I am having a really difficult time finding housing that will allow my vicious baby eating beast doberman. Anyone have any tips or advice to market my mutt enough to get a decent place to rent?

Have you tried a site like http://www.peoplewithpets.com/

They even have a doberman picture on their main page. Unfortunately that's one of the most commonly blacklisted breeds.

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself

actionjackson posted:

Have you tried a site like http://www.peoplewithpets.com/

They even have a doberman picture on their main page. Unfortunately that's one of the most commonly blacklisted breeds.

Thank you for the link, unfortunately it only lists apartments. There are two apartment complexes between Toledo and Ann Arbor that allow "vicious" breeds, and neither are...what I would consider livable. Navigating CL for anything is a oval office, and I will have to get a house.

I appreciate your help anyway!

I may just have to let them take the year to foreclose on my house, save up, and move to another part of the country. That is what it is looking like at least. :(

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Randomity posted:

So I sat with the kitten while it ate, then while it was eating I started petting it. I expected it to run away and hide. I did not expect this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Db34VtZFO0 (I moved the phone at 0:43 seconds in and you get a better view of the kitten).

Purring like a motorboat the whole time. :3: Kitten is a sweet, attention starved little thing, was just scared. I am so sad and :3: at the same time. I'm keeping it another day to try to give it more attention and socialization, and taking some good pics with my dad's camera to put on Facebook to see if I can find a home for it myself. I *still* don't really have time for this, but when I first heard that purring start up my eyes filled with tears and I realized I can't give up just yet.

Temporary name is Batcat:

"PET ME!!!!!"

I can't tell if it's male or female. It's very squirmy and I am not an expert on cat genitalia. Sexing kittens was easier back when I had a litter of em, because then I could compare and contrast. I tried to get pics for one of you who is more versed in the distinguishing of feline nether regions, but yeah. Squirmy.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
Wikipedia says carob is safe for dogs. Can anyone vouch for that being the case?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cassiope posted:

Alright thanks, I did keep them quarantined I just had the thought that my dog basically interacts with unvetted dogs at the dog park and comes in contact with potentially unvaccinated dog waste (or other dogs) every time we go outside for a walk or to petco or around the park. Since the highway dog is staying in our backyard until the shelter opens tomorrow she's still gonna come in contact with where he's been.

I just feel bad that he is outside and I wanted him to come in. Still better than being on the side of a busy road looking sad and confused though. It was pitiful, he was running up to cars expectantly...I'm pretty sure he was recently dumped when I found him :(

I know, it's sad. Thing is, it's the time of contact that can make a big difference. Sure, something can be passed in a quick sniff or bound, but hanging around can increase that chance.

Really, it's an overabundance of caution. I really don't want to say 'Ya go ahead!' and have your pooch get hurt because I assumed without seeing the dog myself.

You're still an awesome person for giving them some stability.

Did That on Television: I've heard that carob is fine, as it lacks the two chemicals in chocolate - theobromine and caffeine - that we are worried about in dogs.

Randomity: If you feel really adventurous, you can try feeling around for his testicles - they'd be small, perhaps 0.5cm. Sometimes pictures can still be pretty difficult to use, but hey, we'd all love pictures of kitten bits!

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
Thanks for the explanation. He should be going to a no-kill I found. If I don't bring him today he's going to have to go the humane society here because the boyfriend is sick of having a stray around.

I got a baby gate and put it up in between the kitchen and living room and kept the stray (I've been calling him Rhett) in the kitchen while Moxie had run of the house. They still were very interested in each other but couldn't really get to each other and I tried to keep them away from the gate. Then Rhett slept downstairs with me while Moxie slept upstairs. During the day he's outside though and hopefully he will be gone this afternoon.

He's ridiculously sweet and loving. Took him to the vet to get the ticks and fleas off. Weighed him and he's 47 pounds when he should probably be around 60. He is fluffy so you can't see how emaciated looking he really is but there is literally nothing between his bones and his skin. I've been feeding him kibble soaked in pedialyte and some rice cooked in chicken broth. I'll try and get some pictures up asap.

This is where he's going: https://www.dogpatchranch.net

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Insignificunt posted:

Finding housing sucks. If you haven't already been in formal obedience classes or worked towards the Canine Good Citizenship thingy, both of those would be a good idea for marketability for your dog. In my experience, some landlords have just had too many lovely tenants to risk the combo of a lovely tenant and their lovely pet. We've had several rental houses (and 3 pets) over the last few years. It helps to be able to reassure the landlord that the dog will be securely crated when you're not there to supervise, and that the dog hasn't been destructive in rental housing in the past. Good luck!

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself

MoCookies posted:

Finding housing sucks. If you haven't already been in formal obedience classes or worked towards the Canine Good Citizenship thingy, both of those would be a good idea for marketability for your dog. In my experience, some landlords have just had too many lovely tenants to risk the combo of a lovely tenant and their lovely pet. We've had several rental houses (and 3 pets) over the last few years. It helps to be able to reassure the landlord that the dog will be securely crated when you're not there to supervise, and that the dog hasn't been destructive in rental housing in the past. Good luck!

She is home trained, but very well trained. I cannot afford anything formal. Her only issue is she pees in her crate, which is an issue that is being resolved and doesn't destroy housing. Hell, I only leash her to go to the pet store. I also own a house I am selling, so I am not sure how references would even work? My neighbors would vouch for her for sure if needed.

She knows I am typing about her, laying her head on my shoulder staring me down. Jerk.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Insignificunt posted:

She is home trained, but very well trained. I cannot afford anything formal. Her only issue is she pees in her crate, which is an issue that is being resolved and doesn't destroy housing. Hell, I only leash her to go to the pet store. I also own a house I am selling, so I am not sure how references would even work? My neighbors would vouch for her for sure if needed.

She knows I am typing about her, laying her head on my shoulder staring me down. Jerk.

Get her canine good citizen test done. I've actually had landlords ask for that and it's fairly straight forward. The test is pretty cheap, sometimes even free at pet fests.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anything special I should know about pointers? We're having a lot of wildfires here in Central Texas so some shelters have had to evacuate, plus all of the strays getting loose so there are a lot of dogs needing homes. So, I adopted another dog last night. She's a 7-9 month old white pointer with brown spots. Very loving and has taken to the house well. Seems house trained, although she doesn't know any commands. Probably a good 5-10 lbs underweight presently.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Should I be worried that my new greyhound completely destroyed her bed when I put it in her crate? She loves to sleep on it at night, but I guess she has so much anxiety that she ripped it to shreds. She tore up one of the blankets too. I'm not sure what to even put in there that she won't tear apart.

I was very frustrated. Obviously I didn't take it out on her but I just needed a break. That's hard when you have a velcro dog.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

If something stuffed has the "right" texture my greyhound will rip it up. I have to put a cover on the duvet or she'll tear it apart. I bought her some stuffed animals to focus on instead. I'm always putting those back together for her to take apart. She prefers fleecy things that squeak, especially if they have attached legs/etc she can un-attach. :]

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I do have some toys that she keeps with her, but I'll have to stick with old bath towels in the crate. It's the only thing she can't destroy. I just want to see if it's their natural urge to scrape or separation anxiety, because she certainly had no problems sleeping on it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

At the track they use deep layers of newspaper in the crate. It doesn't sound all that comfortable, but it's got to be better than a bare pan. And maybe because it will be familiar to her she won't rip it up?

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself
My dog was a chewer, but I got her a foam mat with a cover and she hasn't messed with it.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Really quick question; My 1 year old dachshund Oscar is pretty protective of things and though I'm working through it (you guys recommended Mine! which is a great book for this) I'm just curious what is going through his head when he does the following:

I'm just hanging out on the couch, he's on the floor by my feet going to town chewing on a new stuffed kong toy. Every once in a while he just stops, looks up at me and flattens his ears out like I just yelled at him or something. Sometimes he'll do a slight whale eye and sometimes he won't. I'll only notice he's doing it because I hear the toy stop squeaking. I'm not trying to touch or take the toy at all... I wasn't even looking at him! What's going through his head?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

gobboboy posted:

Really quick question; My 1 year old dachshund Oscar is pretty protective of things and though I'm working through it (you guys recommended Mine! which is a great book for this) I'm just curious what is going through his head when he does the following:

I'm just hanging out on the couch, he's on the floor by my feet going to town chewing on a new stuffed kong toy. Every once in a while he just stops, looks up at me and flattens his ears out like I just yelled at him or something. Sometimes he'll do a slight whale eye and sometimes he won't. I'll only notice he's doing it because I hear the toy stop squeaking. I'm not trying to touch or take the toy at all... I wasn't even looking at him! What's going through his head?

Sounds like he's anxious by how close you are to his high value kong. Maybe he is just checking that you're not going to try to take it away when you're close.

But then it sounds like he does also have the option of moving away, so I'm not sure. Have you tried giving him his kong and keeping your feet up on the chair, or giving him the kong a few metres away?

If you have and he's still weird, there could be a strange sound or smell that he senses sometimes and which only/mostly occurs or stresses him out while he's eating.

Or he could just be being a weird dog.

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

actionjackson posted:

Should I be worried that my new greyhound completely destroyed her bed when I put it in her crate? She loves to sleep on it at night, but I guess she has so much anxiety that she ripped it to shreds. She tore up one of the blankets too. I'm not sure what to even put in there that she won't tear apart.

I was very frustrated. Obviously I didn't take it out on her but I just needed a break. That's hard when you have a velcro dog.

My Ibizan (sighthound, bony, anxious, etc.) shredded the poo poo out of every soft bedding item I left in his crate. I even tried horse stall matting, which is heavy, and just shredded his bony, hairless elbows. Solution? A Kuranda bed, with a leftover baby blanket for soft. NO chewing, less fussing in crate, and he willingly curls up on it. You can get cheaper versions (generically called cot beds) or, if you're handy, you can DIY one from the internets. Some GH rescue groups sell them, actually, IIRC.

Oh, and he shreds any soft toy/item outside his crate still--but at least I'm not coming home to a crate filled with fluff.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

badmomrising posted:

My Ibizan (sighthound, bony, anxious, etc.) shredded the poo poo out of every soft bedding item I left in his crate. I even tried horse stall matting, which is heavy, and just shredded his bony, hairless elbows. Solution? A Kuranda bed, with a leftover baby blanket for soft. NO chewing, less fussing in crate, and he willingly curls up on it. You can get cheaper versions (generically called cot beds) or, if you're handy, you can DIY one from the internets. Some GH rescue groups sell them, actually, IIRC.

Oh, and he shreds any soft toy/item outside his crate still--but at least I'm not coming home to a crate filled with fluff.

That's a good suggestion, though I'm not sure how long I plan on actually crating her for so I don't want to commit to that just yet. Then again she might like at at night too, though she's been very content with just a blanket so far. She seems to actually prefer the carpet.

What do you think about this using the vinyl cover?

http://www.petcot.com/shop/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=LARGE%20PETCOT%20DOG%20BED

Her crate is 30x48, so this would give me a couple inches to get it in and out if she wanted to use it at night as well.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 8, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

We have a Coolaroo bed, which is a pretty similar product, and it's been great. I probably got it on clearance from Petsmart at least 3 years ago, but it's held up remarkably well considering that it's outdoors most of the time. I'm now in love with the Kuranda bunk beds, though. There's no question which dog would have dibs the top bunk.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think my only concern with using it in the crate is that it's 4.5 inches tall. My crate is 32" tall right now, so I'm not sure she'd be able to stand up completely if the cot was in there. Then again she's about 34" at the tallest height so she's already ok kneeling a bit when she wants to stand up. The Kurunda is a bit better with a 3" height. Also they have a one year warranty and I don't think the first store I linked to does.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 8, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Kind of random, but a quick and easy height reference is in comparison to bathroom counters. They're typically right around 30 inches high, so you can ghetto measure your dog with it. :3:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My kitty is hoarse!

She's a little over a year old and we just had her spayed a few weeks ago. We also got a new kitten a few weeks ago and they have been playing and roughhousing constantly. Last week we noticed that her voice is a lot deeper and sort of hoarse. She's still eating and drinking and playing and doing all her normal cat stuff.

I'm a worrier and I'm noticing little things, though. She's a bit clumsier than usual, and has missed a few jumps onto tables and counters, lately. She's also kind of lethargic and sleeps more than usual. The kitten seems to annoy her a lot now, as well. They used to tackle and chase each other all the time, but now when the kitten jumps on her she just makes a really annoyed sound most of the time and walks somewhere else.

It may be some sort of respiratory infection, or it may be a side effect of a dramatic weather change we've had (it went from being 100+ every day to being 70 overnight). I'm not sure how much of it to attribute to the spaying and what could indicate illness.

She's really, really skittish, and the two trips to the vet to get the spay and stitch removal made her a nervous wreck. I don't want to risk traumatizing her again for it to be something minor like a marathon meowing session at a squirrel.

I guess my question is about what could be attributed to post-spaying and what could indicate illness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Sarabi's getting a sister! We moved a new person into our house today and he's got a two-year old brown tabby named Norah. She's UTD on vaccinations and is an indoor kitty who's been deflead, etc. How long should I let Norah explore/settle in before I start through-the-door introductions? Sarabi's used to staying in the basement so I can give her as long as either cat needs but I would like to introduce them eventually, especially since Sarabi was so loving to the kittens. Should I get them onto the same food before I start introductions? That seemed to do the trick for the foster babies.