Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bloody hell and all devils therein. I'm getting the strong feeling that you've got the bottom line of your analysis writted beforehand, but I'll still engage you assuming I am wrong.

You may claim "I'm not proposing a tit for tat approach to rape" (which, incidentally, would make for a great thread title), yet you wrote:

quote:

Martin has no qualms about implicitly or explicitly writing acts of sexual violence against women in ASOIF, but he seems rather shy about doing the same for men in situations where it would be perfectly in line with the world he's created. [...]

And that there is one of the reasons why people suggest some of his misogynistic or patriarchal biases show in ASOIF. He presents sexual violence (whether its rape, threats of rape, sexual assault, etc.) as a form of violence only suited for, and used against women.

This is straight-up logically equivalent to "Were Martin not such a misogynist, males would get raped more in ASoIaF". Which is strikingly stupid in all the ways that have already been pointed out.

quote:

consider how you yourself are characterizing the comparative worth of masculinity and femininity based on how you interpretation of Martin. Is Martin really suggesting that the only way for women to be strong, not be victims and have agency is to symbolically become men? That's kinda hosed up. Actually, he might be suggesting that, lol.
This is a misreading of Quantify!'s words that could only be born out of massive prejudice (hence my introductory assessment).

If Group A is in power and Group B is oppressed, and a few Group B characters are trying to break the established system and acquire power, of course they're going to try and play by the same rules as Group A. The strong female characters in ASoIaF aren't primarily fighting for the rights of all women - it would be nonsensical to have suffragettes in ASoIaF - they're fighting for themselves. Each and every one of the examples you mentioned would have happily agreed to sign a contract that gave them the individual right to hold land and fight, leaving every other woman in the same shackles as before. They do not "want to become men", they want to have the aristocratic (Cersei, Asha) and martial (Arya, Brienne) rights that highborn men have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Tater_tot posted:

To say that he writes something because he is staying true to a real world counterpart doesn't hold water because he regularly deviates from that counterpart when it suits his needs.

I'm not sure this is fair. Very little of ASOIF is without antecedent; the series is designed as a deviation -- or deconstruction -- from the fantasy tradition, and draws its strength from subverting the genre by injecting realistic elements.

I definitely agree there needs to be more male rape in the series, however.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

NihilCredo posted:

If Group A is in power and Group B is oppressed, and a few Group B characters are trying to break the established system and acquire power, of course they're going to try and play by the same rules as Group A. The strong female characters in ASoIaF aren't primarily fighting for the rights of all women - it would be nonsensical to have suffragettes in ASoIaF - they're fighting for themselves. Each and every one of the examples you mentioned would have happily agreed to sign a contract that gave them the individual right to hold land and fight, leaving every other woman in the same shackles as before. They do not "want to become men", they want to have the aristocratic (Cersei, Asha) and martial (Arya, Brienne) rights that highborn men have.
I wish I could have written my thoughts this well. I don't think it would help in this case though.

Deviating from the other female characters, Sansa is also emulating a man, but one who does not do very "masculine" things. He is a plotter, something commonly associated with people in weaker positions in society. In fact, Littlefinger was one of the weakest of the political class. It's no coincidence that his name implies that he has a small penis and is thus less masculine than other lords. But by being a man and holding lands, he was able to rise in society. Despite having a more prominent name than Littlefinger, Sansa would have never been able to rise in society except through marriage.

Other plotters in the series are Cersei (a woman), Varys (a eunuch), and Tyrion (a dwarf). Daenerys engages in many plots because she is consistently much less powerful than the forces opposing her. They each have varying degrees of success at this, but the point is that they must engage in subterfuge because they can't compete directly in the male-dominated "game of thrones" that revolves primarily around how big your sword is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
So... Do we talk about delicate citrus pastries next and then how Ned would beat John in a fight but Kahl Drogo would own both of them at once or does it go rape, food, rape, swords?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

builds character posted:

So... Do we talk about delicate citrus pastries next and then how Ned would beat John in a fight but Kahl Drogo would own both of them at once or does it go rape, food, rape, swords?

I think a serious discussion of the merits of lemon cake as opposed to key lime pie is in order.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

vseslav.botkin posted:

I definitely agree there needs to be more male rape in the series, however.

Welp, we've crossed the threshold. Might be time to bail out of this thread.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Welp, we've crossed the threshold. Might be time to bail out of this thread.

I don't think it's quite that time yet. There's actually reasoned discussion still happening.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
There's plenty of male rape in these books, but like the homosexuality it isn't stated outright. It's illogical to criticize Martin by arguing that the society he created would include lots of male on male sexual assault and when the same society would do that but it would not be spoken of so eagerly. Let's not forget that the last book included male prostitutes (who were slaves, and just as lacking in agency as the female prostitutes present throughout the books) being drowned in the ocean. They spent their lives being effectively raped and then ended up drowned for something someone else forced them to do. There's mention of a septon being used as a girl (or words to that effect), Whorsebane, and the lot of it. Isn't there a minor character on the Wall that ended up there after fighting back against an attempted rape?

The nature of the characters and the society is such that there's no doubt lots of sexual violence against men and boys going on, but it isn't discussed as freely or advertised as sexual violence against women and girls. Also, the point of view characters are almost universally the types of people who are not going to participate in the actual rape anyway, the male ones are less likely to be raped, and the rape they do hear about is going to be in the form of hearsay and secondhand accounts. It wouldn't be out of character to learn that, say, Gregor Clegane didn't discriminate by gender in his post battle rapings, but neither he nor the people talking about him (which is the information we, the reader, receive from a point-of-view character) are going to trumpet that.

Given that some sexual violence against males filters its way into the perspectives of the characters whose heads we're riding in, we can infer, based on what we know of the setting, that there's much, much more.

So you see, while there may not be rape parity (raparity? parapity?) there are entirely adequate levels of implied male rape in a society where, bizarrely, female rape is much more likely to come up in conversation.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

All you guys who are saying "welp, don't worry, males do in fact get raped plenty" probably mean well, but you're being unwittingly harmful by implicitly accepting as valid such an absurd, twisted standard of... I don't even know of what. Gender-blindness? Artistic morality? I can't quite recreate the sort of bizarre train of thought that would end up in such a place.

But anyway: if a stranger pops up telling you that you are a flawed person because you never wear red boxer briefs, you don't respond with "well, as a matter of fact I do have a few of those in my drawers"; rather, you explain them that they're drawing a dumb and crazy connection.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Yeah trying to defend the books as non-misogynistic by bringing up vague mentions of male-on-male sexual violence is just ridiculous. You can make a lot of better arguments for why the books aren't misogynistic, and people have.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Honestly I could do with less female-perspective chapters in the books. They always give me the sense that Martin is trying too hard to come across as a "progressive" writer. "The setting is misogynistic but look out fantasy world because some of these kitties have CLAWS!!! rawr!! also Asha is tough and wears pants and likes it rough ;)" It's very eyeroll-worthy and I'd honestly rather just have less women than put up with all the faux-grrlpower type bullshit.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
We could also all stop spergin out about whether the made-up horrifyingly gritty fantasy world is sufficiently in tune with our progressive sensibilities.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

We could also all stop spergin out about whether the made-up horrifyingly gritty fantasy world is sufficiently in tune with our progressive sensibilities.
It's interesting to examine stuff seriously even if it's a silly fantasy work. Gotta develop those critical thinking skills, and analyzing real literature is boring.

Besides, it really IS a concern that media portrays women in a certain negative way. It's not really relevant to ASOIAF, but it is a worthwhile debate to have sometimes.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Quantify! posted:

It's interesting to examine stuff seriously even if it's a silly fantasy work. Gotta develop those critical thinking skills, and analyzing real literature is boring.

Besides, it really IS a concern that media portrays women in a certain negative way. It's not really relevant to ASOIAF, but it is a worthwhile debate to have sometimes.

I would say ASOIAF portrays women in a better light than most modern societies do. Be glad ASOIAF doesn't have sharia law.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Quantify! posted:

Oh, for sure, not denying that. But I think there's a big difference between SoIaF and reality TV or sitcoms or other stuff that's more of a direct extension of, and feedback into, our own culture. Which I think is probably something like what you were saying, anyway.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Oh, for sure, not denying that. But I think there's a big difference between SoIaF and reality TV or sitcoms or other stuff that's more of a direct extension of, and feedback into, our own culture. Which I think is probably something like what you were saying, anyway.
Yes we agree on this thing I am happy like your avatar.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
It is at least better than Wheel of Time where nearly every chapter is

"Men are like this :supaburn: but Women are like this :frogout:"

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

I would say ASOIAF portrays women in a better light than most modern societies do. Be glad ASOIAF doesn't have sharia law.

Also, men are actually punished pretty harshly for "unlawful" rape (exiled to the Wall, ouch!).

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

YES bread posted:

Also, men are actually punished pretty harshly for "unlawful" rape (exiled to the Wall, ouch!).
That just shows Martin's bias against cold climates. Do you think it's a coincidence he lives in Santa Fe? As a reader who lives in a cold climate it's really annoying to see his views about the cold being bad pop up in every chapter.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Quantify! posted:

That just shows Martin's bias against cold climates. Do you think it's a coincidence he lives in Santa Fe? As a reader who lives in a cold climate it's really annoying to see his views about the cold being bad pop up in every chapter.

I feel like living in Winterfell/The North is akin to living in like, Alaska or the Northwest Territories.

So I guess I can kind of understand why he treats it so badly. Then again, everyone I know who has read the series would LOVE to join the Night's Watch.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ross posted:

It is at least better than Wheel of Time

Well yeah but what isn't better than Wheel of Time though?

Anyway -- so what actually happened to Brienne after all? I'm kinda confused about that, is she dead or got zombiefied? Or is she alive?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

the kawaiiest posted:

Anyway -- so what actually happened to Brienne after all? I'm kinda confused about that, is she dead or got zombiefied? Or is she alive?

I think the current consensus is that immediately prior to being hanged ("Brienne said a word"), she told Zombie Catelyn Stark that she would capture Jaime Lannister for her and was released to go do so.

edit: Also Brienne is Azor Ahai or whoever!

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 16, 2011

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

the kawaiiest posted:

She said a word, the Brotherhood let her go as long as she brings Jaime back. We really dont know. What her overall plans are. I have a feeling by the time Tyrion and Arya get back to Westeros everyone they want to kill will already be dead.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

YES bread posted:

Either that or castration.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ross posted:

I think the current consensus is that immediately prior to being hanged ("Brienne said a word"), she told Zombie Catelyn Stark that she would capture Jaime Lannister for her and was released to go do so.
Yeah that makes sense. I really hope she's still alive because she's one of my favorite characters.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I really hope she's still alive because she's one of my favorite characters.

Oh she's definitely alive, she appears alive explicitly after the "hanging".

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ross posted:

Oh she's definitely alive, she appears alive explicitly after the "hanging".
Yeah I'm just confused by the timeline I think. I'm a little slow I guess. :saddowns:

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Brienne taking Jaime to Lady Stoneheart was the most crushing thing in the book. You know it's not going to end well.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
As opposed to everything else that's gonna end in buttercups and puppies?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

rejutka posted:

As opposed to everything else that's gonna end in buttercups and puppies?

Fluffy, adorable, horrifically murdered puppies.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Quantify! posted:

Brienne taking Jaime to Lady Stoneheart was the most crushing thing in the book. You know it's not going to end well.
Yeah but maybe she'll forgive them and it'll all be okay and they'll get married and have ugly babies and

:smith:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

hailthefish posted:

Fluffy, adorable, horrifically murdered puppies.

Served in a herb crust with neeps. Or are they? *cliffhanger*

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah but maybe she'll forgive them and it'll all be okay and they'll get married and have ugly babies and

:smith:

No, Jaime is going to kill Brienne by plunging his sword into her heart. He will then pick up Oathkeeper, a red blade. He's already been reborn among smoke and salt (the blood and smoke from the fire when his hand was severed and the wound cauterized) and woken dragons out of stone (when he got an erection over Brienne, which was previously about as likely as a statue coming to life).

Jaime is Azor Ahai.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

Ambiguatron posted:

No, Jaime is going to kill Brienne by plunging his sword into her heart. He will then pick up Oathkeeper, a red blade. He's already been reborn among smoke and salt (the blood and smoke from the fire when his hand was severed and the wound cauterized) and woken dragons out of stone (when he got an erection over Brienne, which was previously about as likely as a statue coming to life).

Jaime is Azor Ahai.

This is by far the best interpretation of that prophecy.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Ambiguatron posted:

Jaime is Azor Ahai.

Holy poo poo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ambiguatron posted:

Jaime is Azor Ahai.

This, but he's also going to stab Catelyn in the heart with Oathkeeper (and thereby have Valyrian Steel wake from her "stone" heart).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ambiguatron posted:

Jaime is Azor Ahai.

The erection part made me laugh really, really loudly.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

HarveyVdarski posted:

What are they up to now though? The dude talks to Sam at the end of Feast and he's all like YO MAN THE MAESTERS ARE TRYING TO CREATE A CERTAIN KIND OF WORLD.

Also they buy any and all book, so maybe some magic books, so maybe these fuckers are like, hoarding or destroying magical poo poo? KNOW WHAT I MEAN DUDE? God I get loving excited by this poo poo.

They are the all male bene gesserit, Dany is a dragonrider of Pern, and Connington is Thomas Covenant.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Ambiguatron posted:

Jaime is Azor Ahai.

Best Azor Ahai to date. This would actually be unironically loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

Quantify! posted:

As a former New Mexican native, I'm totally gonna 'sperg out here and say that Santa Fe is in the rocky mountains at an altitude higher than Denver. It does get very cold in the winter time with plenty of temperatures bellow freezing in the fall/winter seasons.

Oh, and it gets dry too. Hope you don't have any eczema!