Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Whoa! My ears popped from the climate change! Oh and hey! Look what fell out!

It's a tiny boat! :3:

These little pond sailers actually sail! This is Whisker 1 and Waterbear 1. Human hair was used on the two lower attach points on Whisker's sail.

Edit: I finally got a somewhat acceptable video of my micro pond sailers. Those tiny things are really hard to film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdoPhtX2z_k

Edited because Imgur won't play nice

Sun Dog fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sun Dog posted:

These little pond sailers actually sail! This is Whisker 1 and Waterbear 1. Human hair was used on the two lower attach points on Whisker's sail.

Do you have any pictures of them on the water?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Why use human hair? Eeewww

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

Sorry for the tiny picture. Hopefully, this will be my next project. It's a 1951 Nash Ambassador. I'm going to be talking to the seller here in the next day or so to visit and decide on the purchase. I know nothing about restoring classic cars, but hope to use this project to learn, among other things, welding, body work, and upholstery.

See that red one at the front? Yeah, one day, my pretty, you will look like that. One day...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know if this counts but I'm currently attempting to watch every episode of Star Trek. All of them. In (roughly) the order in which they supposedly occurred. So far, I've made it through all of Enterprise and am half way through season one of the original series.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

taqueso posted:

Do you have any pictures of them on the water?

Yes, but it's not a good picture.

I'll try to get a movie tomorrow.

Vander posted:

Why use human hair? Eeewww

I can see you are not dedicated builder. :colbert:

I needed something finer and smoother than the sewing thread I had, and my hair was the closest thing to hand.

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know if this counts but I'm currently attempting to watch every episode of Star Trek.

No, it does not, you huge nerd. The strings on your Aeolian Harp must have settled in by now; how's it sounding?

Sun Dog fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 17, 2013

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
When I moved into my new house, my landlord had left a few pieces of furniture (a desk and a coffee table). He informed me that I could do whatever I wanted to with them as he did not want them anymore. They were pretty ugly, so I decided to make them not ugly.

I have never done anything like this before, but I was bored on a Tuesday eveing so I decided to refinish them.

Here is the ugly desk:

I sanded it down by hand as best I could:

First few coats of black:

For future projects I will cut stencils out of something more sturdy than regular paper. This took almost two hours to cut out with an x-acto knife:

It looks great after a clearcoat for protection. It bled out a little due to the flimsy paper:

The desk after detail and before clearcoat:

I also did the coffee table in the same style, all done and clearcoated:

I learned a few things from this project, having never done anything like it before. I think everything turned out awesome and I'm actually looking forward to picking up some more ugly stuff no one wants and making it into something awesome.

AngryFeet
Sep 3, 2009
Here's a Christmas card I made for some unfortunate goon in the year before last's Secret Santa... I couldn't afford to buy them anything decent back then so I cobbled together some crap from my junk box.

It's a kindof general knowledge gameshow, where it reads out a question and you have to answer by pressing the A, B, or C button.

If you get a question wrong you have to listen to Boney-M chistmas carols of increasing levels of awfulness. It makes you keep pressing a button while the music is playing so you can't just run away as your ears get ravaged.

It runs on a ATmega88, and uses PWM to drive the speaker through a transistor if you care about that sort of thing. The USB is just for charging. A piece of paper pushes under a copper wire to turn the thing off when the card is closed. ((a small writeup here))

It didn't take long to build and program, the hard part was editing all the drat .wav files.

I was planning on giving out a URL to a gift code voucher or something once they got all the questions right, but I was too cheap, so at the end I "gave" them 64Mb SD card that held all the .wav files!

AngryFeet fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 27, 2011

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
I am currently working on setting up the entertainment center at the new place I moved into. I have already run network drops, and surround sound wires, and have mounted the speakers on the walls. I have built some shelves, and still have to finish staining them, then they are going up. I will post pictures when I am finished.

However, I need some advice on another project. I have a panasonic HD video camera. It is very similar to a flip video. about the same size and whatnot. I want to find a way to mount it on me, either at chest or head level. It is not tiny, like a go pro, but it does have a tripod mount. I was thinking of finding a way to mount it on my chest, via a strap or something. It has to be pretty secure, as I want to use it for parkour and races. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

I also posted this in the "Weird things you've made" thread but I want to see how far I can take this concept, if it turns out alright I might've found myself a new hobby.

Anyway my first problem is trying to bring out the carving, I can't widen the lines any more than they are without taking a dremel to it and it ends up looking dirtier if I do. So I was thinking of some kind of combination of staining etc?

I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but I like the concept so any advise on improving it would be awesome.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kim Jong ill posted:

I also posted this in the "Weird things you've made" thread but I want to see how far I can take this concept, if it turns out alright I might've found myself a new hobby.

Anyway my first problem is trying to bring out the carving, I can't widen the lines any more than they are without taking a dremel to it and it ends up looking dirtier if I do. So I was thinking of some kind of combination of staining etc?

I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but I like the concept so any advise on improving it would be awesome.

Why don't you dig out the area that isn't copy sort of like a woodblock for printing. You could always paint the "background" and the face of the text different colors.

EDIT***

I photoshopped a really quick idea of what Im talking about.

Essentially create two layers, top and bottom. On the top would be the outside frame, and the letters. Those are all stained or painted one color.
The second layer would be everything inside the frame but not text. You carve all of this down a little so that it has a little depth. Paint or stain this another color (I did a white wash). Just my 2¢

I also like the idea of a black and white, but I like being able to see the wood grain. Given this just looks like a 2x4 it probably won't have an amazing grain but I think being able to see it makes it appear more handmade.

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 22, 2011

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

As in the area inside the block letters? I could probably do that with the dremel without making too much mess.

I think maybe black background white lettering wouldn't look too bad painted?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I'm currently messing with several things. I've been hollowing out old, second hand books (bought when our local library was doing its yearly clearance. I couldn't bare to cut up a perfectly fine book). I gave one as a birthday gift for a friend. A dark green work by an Italian theologian, with only 'The Devil' and his name on the cover. Which is fitting, because he uses it to store his weed. :haw:

I also hollowed one out for myself, but it's weedless. Another book, I'm currently turning into a lamp. I managed to stab myself in the leg while working on it, by the way. I'm also trying to redecorate my flat - it's currently very, very grey. It'll mostly be painting a desk and some walls, putting a cover on a couch and hanging new curtains, but it should make the room a little more colourful.

I'm also playing with lightbulbs and will probably be making a little lamp and some terrariums. And because you can't have enough lamps, I'll probably try to make this with a lamp inside.

I really like this sort of stuff. Simple pleasures and all that. Also, stabbing yourself in the leg, pinching your thumb between pliers, stepping on glass, cutting your fingers with an exacto knife, worrying about inhaling stuff you shouldn't be inhaling. Fun!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sun Dog posted:

No, it does not, you huge nerd. The strings on your Aeolian Harp must have settled in by now; how's it sounding?

Haha, that was expected. ;)

The strings are all holding the same tone now. Currently using the cheap lovely fishing line I got at the sporting goods supply. When I strum them, they sound a bit...stringy. They just don't "ring" like I would want. I'm thinking about replacing them with really fat (but light) guitar strings. steel-wound nylon should do the trick, I just haven't bothered to pick any up yet.

Still, it plays readily enough. What I really need is a sash window to put it in, since that's sort of the design I ended up with. :)

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

I like that idea but because of the way I did the smaller writing in lines I wouldn't be able to turn it into a relief.

I think I could take out the material inside the letters and then remove the same width of material from outside the frame, which would probably work better for me because I'm not entirely confident on being able to remove all the material inside the border to a very good standard.

Edit - Yeah the wood isn't too good but it's the best I could find lying around, there was some red gum but it would've needed some serious sanding back to get it into shape.

Kim Jong ill fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 22, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kim Jong ill posted:

I like that idea but because of the way I did the smaller writing in lines I wouldn't be able to turn it into a relief.

I think I could take out the material inside the letters and then remove the same width of material from outside the frame, which would probably work better for me because I'm not entirely confident on being able to remove all the material inside the border to a very good standard.

Edit - Yeah the wood isn't too good but it's the best I could find lying around, there was some red gum but it would've needed some serious sanding back to get it into shape.

Either way it should look good, as long as you're having fun with it. Post it when its done, I will be curious to see what you do.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

AngryFeet posted:

If you get a question wrong you have to listen to Boney-M chistmas carols of increasing levels of awfulness. It makes you keep pressing a button while the music is playing so you can't just run away as your ears get ravaged.

That's clever. Nice work, I like it!

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

AngryFeet posted:

Here's a Christmas card I made for some unfortunate goon in the year before last's Secret Santa... I couldn't afford to buy them anything decent back then so I cobbled together some crap from my junk box.

<timming rest of awesome post for brevity>

I love this. Do you have schematic or write-up posted somewhere? Would love to do something similar. :)

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

bear is driving! posted:

I also did the coffee table in the same style, all done and clearcoated:

I learned a few things from this project, having never done anything like it before. I think everything turned out awesome and I'm actually looking forward to picking up some more ugly stuff no one wants and making it into something awesome.

How elegant! Was that spraypaint, the base color?

I finally got a somewhat acceptable video of my micro pond sailers. Those tiny things are really hard to film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdoPhtX2z_k

I built the catboat and the experimental, and my husband built the sloop.

Evil Orca
Aug 30, 2011

AngryFeet posted:

How can you sleep at night knowing that you put someone through this? Really nice work making the card. Do you have a video of it in action?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Kitchen remodelling. Dear god, what am I doing!?! :derp:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

HardCoil posted:

Kitchen remodelling. Dear god, what am I doing!?! :derp:

That'll make for nice before/after shots.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Photos like that make me never want to own a home. Paying a mortgage might be cheaper monthly than renting, but poo poo does housework suck. Especially for a not-handy-man like me!

Some awesome photos in this thread, makes me feel like a worthless sack of bones!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I'm the non-handy-man incarnate, so this IS pretty crazy. I have good friends who advice and help out a bit. It's hard, but also an incredible learning opportunity :)

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

mike12345 posted:

That'll make for nice before/after shots.

That's the after shot :(

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

HardCoil posted:

I'm the non-handy-man incarnate, so this IS pretty crazy. I have good friends who advice and help out a bit. It's hard, but also an incredible learning opportunity :)

I hope you take a lot of in-progress pictures and post them, I love seeing that stuff. It always gives me ideas.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, I have a quite a lot, cellphone only tho'. I'll post a bunch when (if) everything is done.

Schoenoplectus
Mar 30, 2010
I reconstruct old T Shirts into new clothes.

Most of my clothes start out as XXL men's T shirts, then I turn them into something I would want to wear.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Kim Jong ill posted:

If you just stain it the carved lines will take the stain darker than the rest and you can sand the top layer off so it just leaves the stain in the carvings.
It would work the same way with paint too, just brush a layer on let it dry and then sand off the top layer leaving it in the carved areas.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
They're not terribly much to look at at the moment, but I'm having a go at making some Witcher swords:

The 'blades' are recycled jarrah and the guards are server rack rails :v:
I used a $20 can of "real chrome" spray paint for the "silver" sword, which turns out to have barely any difference to the $5 can of "silver" spray paint for the "steel" sword. I think I will rough it u[ with some steel wool and a tiny bit of grey paint.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I'll bite.

Working on a steampunk gun for the NY Comic Con coming up in a few weeks. Trying my damndest to make it work to some extent; got the lights working now, but I need to figure out my motors next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtuFNYzYy9I

DahtBard
Jan 7, 2011

Well, that's one way to do it.
Recommendations on a place to buy servos? We've looked around at various hobby stores, but we're not quite sure yet. The use of it is kind of interesting. I'm on my school's Baja SAE team (race dune buggies), and for the first time we have someone who is wheelchair-handicapped. We want to make sure everyone can drive (always a yearly goal), so obviously a physical pedals won't do it. We think the basic solution is going to be rigging up some racing bike-esque brakes handles to use as throttle/brake. They'll control a thumbwheel pot which some small chip (they want to use Arduino but I'm leaning towards a smaller AVR) will send as a reading to a servo, which'll actually move the throttle switch. It really doesn't need that much torque, as the physical resistance is fairly low, but the thing needs to be able to handle a Baja race. We'll secure it down as best we can, but at the end of the day there will be some jostling. Any suggestions?

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
This is our latest gravity bike build. It isn't quite complete yet. We got it running late at night before the Fall Maryhill Freeride. Unlike the bike I posted earlier in the thread, this one is a complete frame up build. We made everything ourselves with the exceptions of wheels, brakes, and headset.

I'll have a full build with pictures posted up as soon as I get my sdcard. Until then, I'll leave you with a video our friend made of our fun Maryhill weekend. You get to see me eat poo poo into some hay bales.

http://youtu.be/b8_83fws9aM

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

DahtBard posted:

Recommendations on a place to buy servos? We've looked around at various hobby stores, but we're not quite sure yet. The use of it is kind of interesting. I'm on my school's Baja SAE team (race dune buggies), and for the first time we have someone who is wheelchair-handicapped. We want to make sure everyone can drive (always a yearly goal), so obviously a physical pedals won't do it. We think the basic solution is going to be rigging up some racing bike-esque brakes handles to use as throttle/brake. They'll control a thumbwheel pot which some small chip (they want to use Arduino but I'm leaning towards a smaller AVR) will send as a reading to a servo, which'll actually move the throttle switch. It really doesn't need that much torque, as the physical resistance is fairly low, but the thing needs to be able to handle a Baja race. We'll secure it down as best we can, but at the end of the day there will be some jostling. Any suggestions?

Do not use servos.

Installing a throttle cable to a motorcycle handle and placing that on the steering column will provider greater more tactile control of acceleration; you could get a throttle locking handle to provide an ability to maintain speed through turns, and put a second handle on the other side that has a similar cord going to the brakes. It also removes the possibility of run-away acceleration due to a bad bit of code, pot crack, or other electronic issue.

Then everyone else can also steer the racer like a pirate ship too!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Thread returned! Hopefully we've gotten some more interest in DIY!

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
I hope so too. I am almost done with my media center project, and I have a few coming down the pipeline, such as a hacked roomba and chest-mounted hd camera.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
If any electrical engineering/schematics/circuit board type goons are interested in helping me with a paid project, please PM or email me at my SN@gmail. Its a DMX lighting controller sort of thing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I made a nifty bottle opener mount thing. No silly catch can, and no more thinking about caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8RWMvdhVMs

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha, that's awesome. You must have a pretty strong magnet in there to catch them very reliably. Have you tested it to see how many it will hold before they start to fall off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255